• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions How Serious Will Nintendo Be to Get Grand Theft Auto 6 onto Drake?

Drake will be a playable character via DLC before a brand new GTA game gets released on Nintendo consoles

Depends entirely how scalable the engine is for GTAVI.

If it runs somewhat decently on low end hardware on PC like:

1080p low settings
Ryzen 1600
GTX 1650
8GB ram

If it’s somewhat close to that ballpark for 1080p on low settings then I honestly think it can run on Switch 2 with DLSS up to 1080p docked with a tad higher settings

I don't see that happening at least close to the initial release. Don't expect Rockstar wasting any resources on that port until the pc/ps5/xbox version is finished

They do. Nintendo published the physical version of GTA Trilogy on Switch. They're ready to do their part to have more GTA content on their platform.

I guess we'll see. I'm not as confident about that as you and others are in this thread for GTA6 on the Switch 2.

It's hard to say

On one hand, nintendo's handhelds have proven to be consistently successful aside from the small dip with the 3ds (we don't talk about the VirtualBoy) and missing out on it is a lot of potential lost money in the short-term. However, designing the game to accommodate for the weaker Drake compared to the other current systems will be more hindering to their long term plans if RS wants another decade+ long supported title. There is one stipulation though, the series S provides a bridge of some sorts between the Drake and the series X/ps5.

Alternatively, they could design the game around series X/ps5 and scale it down for Drake to an unknown degree of success.

Rockstar is weird when it comes to platform choices. I imagine it's gonna be PS5/XBS at first and even PC is gonna be a late port.

Drake would be a late port if it ever happened and I don't think it'll happen seeing GTA V never came to Switch.

As I have limited time per day, I didn't read all comments in this topic, however, I like to share my own thoughts on this topic.

Will GTA VI be on the next gen system? Hard to tell, and possibly unlikely.
Thing is, around december 2018 there was an interview from The Hollywood Reporter with Reggie, asking if Red Dead Redemption II would be on Switch.
Reggie replied that they really wanted it on the system, but due to timing, it didn't. Reggie said:

Absolutely. We’d love for it to be there. But again — and this is where there needs to be an understanding of just the development process — Red Dead has been in development for years, time that predated any communication of Nintendo Switch. So, from the developer’s mentality, they need to move forward and finish the game they’ve been working on and then be in a position to look at other opportunities. Any game from a key third-party that’s coming out now, typically that development started well before any conversations about Nintendo Switch. What happens moving forward? We’ll see. But that’s how you wind up with a situation with Red Dead not being available on our platform.

Thing is, the Switch 2 isn't announced yet, and there are rumors about devkits being released around this time. So that in mind, I think GTA VI would be far in development, time that predated any communication of the Switch 2. It would be history repeating itself. Although I don't want to exclude the possibility in the far future. GTA V is almost 10 years, and still getting a current gen release on PS5/XS, and GTA Online still gets updates I believe. We could get it in a few years after the Switch 2 release. I do have to mention that even RDR2 isn't on Switch, Rockstar did put L.A. Noire and the GTA Trilogy DE on Switch. Their relationship with Nintendo was a bit rocky in the past, but this might bloom into new beginnings. There is a rumored Red Dead Redemption 1 in the talks, and since LA Noire and GTA Trilogy were both remasters, there might be a chance that RDR1 could also have a Switch release. If that might happen, one might think their relationship is indeed blooming. And I do think if RDR1 is getting on Switch first, RDR2 might go to Switch 2, further construction their partnership, and might help to get GTA VI eventually get on the system. That's my perspective, tho. Although Reggie isn't working for Nintendo anymore, back then he probably said it in the company's vision that ''They'd love for it (RDR2) to be on the system'', implying that Nintendo does want Rockstar to have their games on their systems.

That said, as you can see my profile picture, I'd love to have their partnership getting bigger, leading towards GTA San Andreas' CJ in a future Smash Bros installment, haha!

I think Nintendo will make little to no effort to try and get GTA 6 to be released on the Switch.
If GTA 6 will make it onto the Switch 2 (I doubt it), then only because it's fairly easy to port. And I don't think this will be the case at all.

What we will get is GTA 5 on the Switch 2 and it will not be a great port either. And the Switch 2 will do just fine in spite of that.

Most likely not, GTAVI is probably gonna push modern consoles to their limit, can’t imagine Switch 2 would have any chance of running it.

GTAV and a Red Dead Redemption duology are good bets though.

I think Nintendo will make little to no effort to try and get GTA 6 to be released on the Switch.
If GTA 6 will make it onto the Switch 2 (I doubt it), then only because it's fairly easy to port. And I don't think this will be the case at all.

What we will get is GTA 5 on the Switch 2 and it will not be a great port either. And the Switch 2 will do just fine in spite of that.
This is going to be a system-seller title for Xbox/Playstation, most likely not for Nintendo but this is most definitely going to be the biggest third party game of this decade.
They'll try to get it for sure, unless the Rockstar devs are like "no way it'll run on your thing".

Remember how Nintendo published the physical edition of the Trilogy just because it's GTA.

If you look at how they've even managed to get EA to put a proper FIFA on Switch, I think very seriously.
They won't grovel , but there will be incentives to put it on Switch 2.

Besides, 2K seems to have benefited greatly from their backing of the Switch. There will be corporate pressure for a Switch 2 port if the hardware can run it and things like storage solutions are reasonable

And that's really I think are the limiting factors. Switch 2 won't be your traditional disc based consoles, so it needs to be able to run it (which i think it will since GTA6 will likely try to be compatible with low spec PCs) and the storage media /distribution needs to be compatible. Which I think it will, but will likely mean a hefty download.

Tbh, I’d prefer them to get RDR Remastered and RDR 2 than GTA. If we got both though I wouldn’t complain : )
I feel that way aswell. I played RDR2 on PC, and had a much more enjoyable playthrough, while modern GTA games felt kinda dull to me. I mean, the whole map of GTA V was very beautiful, but it story itself to me felt kinda dull. RDR2 did have so much impact on me. I prefer the same way, but wouldn't mind if both the GTA series and RDR series went on Nintendo platforms.

If you look at how they've even managed to get EA to put a proper FIFA on Switch, I think very seriously.
They won't grovel , but there will be incentives to put it on Switch 2.
Like I said in my previous post, Reggie said in 2018 that they did want RDR2 to be on Switch, but due to timing it didn't went through. And as you can see that we've got LA Noire and GTA Trilogy, you can also see that Nintendo really wants to have R*'s games on their platform. I'm being really patient for when the RDR1 remaster will get announced.

And that's really I think are the limiting factors. Switch 2 won't be your traditional disc based consoles, so it needs to be able to run it (which i think it will since GTA6 will likely try to be compatible with low spec PCs) and the storage media /distribution needs to be compatible. Which I think it will, but will likely mean a hefty download.
''Disk based consoles'', lol if GTA VI gets on a cartridge for Switch 2, that'll be kinda funny. I do agree with your argument that the game need to be compatible with low spec PCs. But since PC versions of R*'s games are a bit later than console versions, it might mean that a potential Switch version does that aswell.

by all means it should be, but looking at the GTA Trilogy, I am not so sure. And we also don't yet know the actual specs of the next Nintendo console. So trying to keep my expectations low.
GTA Trilogy was outsourced to Grove Street Games, LA Noire was ported by Virtuos.

Grove Street Games weren't even incompetent; they were simply given an impossible deadline to hit and it bit them in the ass royally. Rockstar at least had enough decency to keep them on board to keep working on patches that as of now have put the game in a playable state according to at least one Switch reviewer (the only reason I haven't bought them myself is because even on sale at $40CAD seems a little like a reach for three 22 year old games).

GSG were also recently responsible for the massive overhaul for ARK: Survival Evolved on Switch that turned it from a 12GB janky, stuttery, borderline unplayable mess that maxed out resolution at 432p (often on average worse at 304 x 170) into an 8GB game that is capable of targetting 1080p docked/720p handheld with dynamic resolution and significantly less pop in and LOD.

In short, if Rockstar actually cared enough to do it in house, or even contracted GSG again but made sure to actually give them the time and resources necessary to make a 360 game run at higher efficiency on a modern console, GTAV would have no troubles at all running on Switch. Hell, I don't doubt GTA VI will eventually come to Switch 2, it'll just be a late port alongside PC (but for the love of God I hope they plan for cross-progression ahead of time)

Depends entirely how scalable the engine is for GTAVI.

If it runs somewhat decently on low end hardware on PC like:

1080p low settings
Ryzen 1600
GTX 1650
8GB ram

If it’s somewhat close to that ballpark for 1080p on low settings then I honestly think it can run on Switch 2 with DLSS up to 1080p docked with a tad higher settings
GTAIV's engine will use RAGE version 9, an improved engine over RDR2's RAGE version 8.

RDR2 is playable on a GTX 660, I am sure they'll get it to run on Switch 2. (how well is debatable)

With Dan Houser out of the picture now? Anything is possible.

If there's any western AAA IP that Nintendo would bend over backwards to court onto their new platform? This is it.

GTAIV's engine will use RAGE version 9, an improved engine over RDR2's RAGE version 8.

RDR2 is playable on a GTX 660, I am sure they'll get it to run on Switch 2. (how well is debatable)
I don't think that will be an issue, if Switch 2 is drake then it could in the worst case render sub 1080 internally and use upscaling to hit a 1080p.

I think if it happens, it will be announced as a SKU alongside the main platforms. If Reggie's comments are to be taken at face value that was the intent with RDR 2. They weren't interested in a late port, but somehow timing wasn't right, which suggests a port studio couldn't be found for co-development

I don't think that will be an issue, if Switch 2 is drake then it could in the worst case render sub 1080 internally and use upscaling to hit a 1080p.

I think if it happens, it will be announced as a SKU alongside the main platforms. If Reggie's comments are to be taken at face value that was the intent with RDR 2. They weren't interested in a late port, but somehow timing wasn't right, which suggests a port studio couldn't be found for co-development
I don't think gpu is the biggest issue for current gen ports considering the series s, but I could see gta6 pushing the Zens to their limit and that could definitely be a big hurdle. Storage speed/ size as well.

What were Reggie’s comments? Apologies if they were already mentioned upthread and I missed it

What were Reggie’s comments? Apologies if they were already mentioned upthread and I missed it
From a Hollywood Reporter piece

re-reported on NL

"Absolutely. We’d love for it to be there. But again — and this is where there needs to be an understanding of just the development process — Red Dead has been in development for years, time that predated any communication of Nintendo Switch. So, from the developer’s mentality, they need to move forward and finish the game they’ve been working on and then be in a position to look at other opportunities."

With Dan Houser out of the picture now? Anything is possible.

If there's any western AAA IP that Nintendo would bend over backwards to court onto their new platform? This is it.
I don't know if Dan Houser was an issue or not.

I do wonder if the growth of their partnership will lead to something Smash related in the future. Like, my dream is having CJ from San Andreas to be included, and also Arthur Morgan from the Red Dead Redemption series with a John Marston alt. It would be my dream come true. ^^'

Although, I can see Arthur Morgan and John Marston in Smash, if RDR1 remaster gets on Switch, and Switch 2 having RDR2, since Reggie did stated they wanted RDR2 on Switch, and could have both games in their library.

They weren't interested in a late port, but somehow timing wasn't right, which suggests a port studio couldn't be found for co-development
I'm also wondering about this, since RDR2 did have a port on PC that was some time after the initial console releases. The PC version did however have a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller hidden in the textures. Probably meant as a controller option for PC version, but iirc other games you can play on PC with a Pro Controller are sometimes listed as an Xbox controller. So maybe they did try to run RDR2 with Switch hardware, I have no clue. I do like the idea of playing Rockstar games on the go.

I'm also wondering about this, since RDR2 did have a port on PC that was some time after the initial console releases. The PC version did however have a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller hidden in the textures. Probably meant as a controller option for PC version, but iirc other games you can play on PC with a Pro Controller are sometimes listed as an Xbox controller. So maybe they did try to run RDR2 with Switch hardware, I have no clue. I do like the idea of playing Rockstar games on the go.

Nah, it really was (or still is) in development for Switch, as Totilo reports:

You can have Pro Controller support in your PC games but you can't officially acknowledge it as Nintendo doesn't support PC officially.

And don't forget, it still might be under development for Switch. Some ports take awful lot of time, we got AC Ezio Collection years after first rumor and Batman Trilogy 1.5 years after it leaked into retail. Hell a simple game like Kingdom Come is STILL in development 2 years after its official announcement. Not being heard from doesn't mean it's no longer coming, Switch still alive and well and still getting enough big releases. RDR2 still can surprise us in Switch's 7th year.

From a Hollywood Reporter piece

re-reported on NL
Thank you!

You can have Pro Controller support in your PC games but you can't officially acknowledge it as Nintendo doesn't support PC officially.

And don't forget, it still might be under development for Switch. Some ports take awful lot of time, we got AC Ezio Collection years after first rumor and Batman Trilogy 2.5 years after it leaked into retail. Hell a simple game like Kingdom Come is STILL in development 2 years after its official announcement. Not being heard from doesn't mean it's no longer coming, Switch still alive and well and still getting enough big releases. RDR2 still can surprise us in Switch's 7th year.

Slight edit, but Batman's retailer leak was beginning of 2022. Not disagreeing with your overall point though.

People always say it depends on the online features

Maybe Nintendo is working on that
Nintendo's online isn't the problem. The problem previously was that GTAO was just too big, but they split that from GTA5

God I would love to believe in a Nintendo that believes in dedicated servers and competent netcode 🥲
The game doesn't run on Nintendo servers anyway because it had to tie into the Rockstar account for stuff

And don't forget, it still might be under development for Switch. Some ports take awful lot of time, we got AC Ezio Collection years after first rumor and Batman Trilogy 1.5 years after it leaked into retail. Hell a simple game like Kingdom Come is STILL in development 2 years after its official announcement. Not being heard from doesn't mean it's no longer coming, Switch still alive and well and still getting enough big releases. RDR2 still can surprise us in Switch's 7th year.

Halo MCC debuting on Switch 2 at launch, there's still hope 😅

The game doesn't run on Nintendo servers anyway because it had to tie into the Rockstar account for stuff
If Rockstar are the ones maintaining the servers then I would at least have more faith in the overall project eventually coming to Switch

Woah, nice find out. I didn't know that, thank you. But as Totilo stated it could've been coming to Switch Pro, I might think that it moves on to Switch 2/Drake, if it is still in dev.
It might make more sense, now you hear stories of RDR1 remastered. If that comes to Switch, I definitely believe that RDR2 is still coming to a Nintendo platform, be it Switch or Switch 2. Anyways, thanks again 🙂

Take two didnt care about size, they release games on switch with 60GB of dowload patch required
They will do a Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 ; only 10% of the game playable on the disc and a mandatory update that is twice the size of the game.

Back
Top Bottom