• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions How Serious Will Nintendo Be to Get Grand Theft Auto 6 onto Drake?

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight
with GTA6 maybe, possibly releasing as early as 2024, it could coincide with the release of the Switch Successor. maybe unintentionally, but it doesn't have to be that way.

GTA5 first launched in 2013 and had a fuckload of updates through its online mode. GTA6 was officially confirmed in September 2022. if I had to guess, I'd say the game started development in 2018 or 2019. it would put it in the prime position to be current gen only, unless the game slipped multiple times to the point we're at now. an XBO/PS5 version would definitely help with a hypothetical Drake version of the game. but people have rather quickly moved on from last gen, making continued production of such versions a waste of time. so I'm gonna assume this game is current gen only.

as for Nintendo, they have proven that they don't need the latest and greatest third party IPs to become the third best selling console of all time after the DS and PS2. but it'd be stupid to not to make a play at said third party games to solidify your position. with FC24 moving to a much more updated version of the game and Call of Duty maybe coming to Drake, that's two of the top IPs bringing the latest and greatest (sorta) Nintendo's platforms. GTA3 Trilogy was an obvious success on Switch so it's not like one can argue the audience isn't there (GTA is casual as fuck and Switch is a casual as fuck system, it just works). the biggest hurdle is that GTA doesn't need Nintendo any more than Nintendo needs GTA. how can Nintendo sweeten the pot to get a port? the obvious route is to open the wallet, but that's not how Nintendo does things. but, they have done physical distribution for GTA3 Trilogy, so they are willing to give goodies if they get something in return that's not just "game on their system".

so, will Nintendo fight tooth and nail for GTA6 day one (or as soon as possible)? or will they just do the usual, "it'd be nice to have you onboard", and nothing more?

We might get some naysayers here but it would be a huge feather in Nintendo's cap. Even a late/scaled back port. Even at say 80% of Switch Sales, Redrakted will likely still be the biggest console on the market by the end of its life. And then there's the microtransaction potential, so Rockstar has every incentive to get it there. Guess it depends how all out they go on optimizing for next gen specifically.

Last edited:
Switch's showcase game was Skyrim, they showed it on the reveal trailer. It was kind of a holy grail for Nintendo, at that time Bethesda was the last remaining big publisher to support Nintendo consoles. Nintendo got that grail and showed off. Skyrim in your pocket.

GTA6 might be the only thing that can top that. A day and date GTA release on a Nintendo platform. It will be huge.

This HUGELY depends on whether or not GTA6 is designed to be super scalable to run on potato PCs or if Rockstar takes the GTA5/Red Dead 2 approach of making a game more graphically impressive than anything else on the market by a huge margin. GTA5 and Red Dead 2 are staggering technical achievements and some of the greatest coded software of all time (I do not like either game because their mechanics are awful and GTA5's writing makes me want to stab my ears out) and might be part of the Rockstar brand at this point... On the other hand, GTA5 sold so much they may want this to run on potato PCs right away.

Red Dead 2 ran ~20-25 FPS when there were many NPCs on screen (due to how complex the AI routines are) and if GTA6 launches running at like 25 FPS on PS5, it will be extremely hard to get it on Switch 2.

This also obviously depends on how powerful the Switch 2 is which we have very little idea of as:

1. It's not clear the T239 is actually the chip as people claiming it's the chip have been consistently wrong about the release window of the Switch 2
2. Even if it's the chip, it's not clear what the clocks will be.
3. We don't know if the Switch 2 will require mandatory installs to very fast memory to be able to stream assets like the PS5 or Xbox Series and an open world game like GTA6 will be heavily dependent on asset streaming most likely.

Seems unlikely to happen, GTA6 is releasing holiday 2024 at the earliest and it will almost certainly not be crossgen, Switch 2 will be underpowered compared to PS5 etc. It's not an IP they've ever actively courted on their consoles either.

It really depends on how scalable GTA6 is. I have no doubt Rockstar would go for a day and date release if they could.

I do agree with everyone saying GTAV and RDR2 are more likely.

Depends on how demanding the game is? Open worlds are a space that can actually push console capabilities, no? And if Rockstar is building these for the new gen, then might just laugh off Switch 2.

Maybe it’s pessimistic, but I don’t think it’ll happen. I think they’ll have a big enough audience and less friction trying to build on the game by just supporting PS5, XSX|S and PC.

I have no doubt whatsoever, pretty much 100% sure that at some point (maybe not at launch) we will see GTA VI on Switch 2.
Only a Sony's deal with TakeTwo behind the scenes could prevent that.

If it ever comes, I can see it further down the line as a late port but even that feels like stretching it. I don't believe for a second it'll be day and date, Rockstar are pretty much set in their ways and I'm not even sure they'll have a PC version ready. To say nothing about storage issues on what will probably be a massive live service game.

The best advice I have for potential drake owners is, don’t count on it. Don’t even expect it.

I'd love to be wrong, but my guess is if it comes to Nintendo at all, it'll be at least 2 years later than PS5 and Xbox.

Publishers already love to do late Switch ports to get people to double-dip, and Rockstar in particular loves doing staggered releases. Assuming GTA6 can be made to run on Switch 2, I still don't think Nintendo would be able to push for a day-and-date release; more likely it'll launch on PS5/Xbox, then PC like a year later, and then maybe a Switch 2 port a year or so after that if it's technically feasible.

I do think a Rockstar game is plausible for year 1 of Switch 2, but personally my money would be more on something like Red Dead 2 (or the rumored Red Dead 1 remaster/remake) or GTA5 instead.

I have no doubt whatsoever, pretty much 100% sure that at some point (maybe not at launch) we will see GTA VI on Switch 2.

First Sony did it to FIFA..now Take Two. Who is next? Maybe F Zero is blocked because Sony is paying to prevent it to come to Switch with Xenoblade X.

I don't see why it wouldn't eventually be on the Switch NG, but definitely not expecting it to launch on it.

I haven't been paying too close attention, but wasn't there a lot of Sony money-hatting info coming out of the MS/Activision case?

Switch's showcase game was Skyrim, they showed it on the reveal trailer. It was kind of a holy grail for Nintendo, at that time Bethesda was the last remaining big publisher to support Nintendo consoles. Nintendo got that grail and showed off. Skyrim in your pocket.

GTA6 might be the only thing that can top that. A day and date GTA release on a Nintendo platform. It will be huge.

I think Elden Ring will be the "Skyrim " of Switch 2.

Rockstar usually pushes the hell out of the best console hardware so I would imagine it would be difficult to get what they're doing with GTA6 to work on whatever is coming next Nintendo wise.

That said, I hope they're revealed the same day like RDR2 and Switch were.

Let me rank Rockstar games on Switch 2 in terms of likelyness:

1. GTAV
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Red Dead Redemption remake
57. GTAVI

I can see it but would need to some 'proof' first. I mean, it's nice that the trilogy is on the Switch, but if games like RDR2 release on Switch 2, my expectations for GTA 6 on Drake would increase considerably.

You said Nintendo physically distributed the trilogy, correct? If they do something like that with GTA6 or perhaps even more than that (assisting localisation in some languages?), then I could see it becoming a good deal for both Nintendo and Rockstar Games/Take Two.

I would hope it's a good port, though, since it would most likely be current gen.

If I had to guess, I would say they will not be serious about it at all. Or rather it’s a case of a developer/series and what they’re trying to accomplish. Rockstar always goes for best-in-industry visual spectacle and big ass open worlds, and Nintendo has been saying “Ehhh actually having real powerful hardware isn’t so great” since like the GameCube. They are kind of mutually incompatible partners.

GTA V (Or Red Dead 2) as a launch window title (Similar to Skyrim with the Switch) feels pretty likely, no doubt coming out just months before GTA VI.

Rockstar will want to support the system after the success of the last one, but it'll probably be ports of games they know can run on PS4 Pro-level technology and then, if the thing sells like the Switch/Nintendo lobs money at them, maybe they get GTA VI down the line. It'd be huge, but Nintendo would probably happily settle for promoting the console with V.

First Sony did it to FIFA..now Take Two. Who is next? Maybe F Zero is blocked because Sony is paying to prevent it to come to Switch with Xenoblade X.
I don't say this as a way of hating Sony, but especially after the Activision case, I think it's pretty clear that they do pay for games to be off a specific console. But well, it's part of the game, Nintendo could do the same if they wanted to, although the ethics of the question remain open.

Yeah I don’t see it either and back in the day use to think it’s what Nintendo “needed” to do and it clearly has shown this era, all we need is Nintendo's IPS to make it an amazing console

They will certainly talk about it with Rockstar/T2 (if they haven't done so already) and if it's feasible they will welcome it with open arms, but they won't bend over backward for it.

Nintendo is in a lucky position in that regard; they definitely need third party support to offer variety and fill in the release calendar, but at this point there isn't any specific third party IP which would make them think "If we don't have this franchise, we're fucked".

I don't think Nintendo cares to court R* specifically. If 2K/R* shows up, cool, but they're not going to go out of their way to get GTA on the platform. Switch has been plenty successful without GTA5/GTAO.

That I don't believe. It's not running on Nintendo's servers (not that this would be a problem itself) or even removed from other games already on switch
For one, can Nintendo even support always on voice chat devices and gameplay?

Second, the current install sizes of GTA5 are sitting at a minimum of 70+ gigabytes- a minimum- couldn’t even fit that on a SWOLED default card.

Third, is Nintendo going to play with and integrate Rockstars proprietary network stuff to record your progress across platforms?

I just don’t see Nintendo wanting to (or being able to) jump through so many hoops to reach what other consoles already possess as bare minimums of entry for always online gameplay. My experience with Diablo 2 was great, but that’s on the backbone of Battle Net, and they actively court and want Switch $$$.

For one, can Nintendo even support always on voice chat devices and gameplay?

Second, the current install sizes of GTA5 are sitting at a minimum of 70+ gigabytes- a minimum- couldn’t even fit that on a SWOLED default card.

Third, is Nintendo going to play with and integrate Rockstars proprietary network stuff to record your progress across platforms?

I just don’t see Nintendo wanting to (or being able to) jump through so many hoops to reach what other consoles already possess as bare minimums of entry for always online gameplay. My experience with Diablo 2 was great, but that’s on the backbone of Battle Net, and they actively court and want Switch $$$.
  1. yes, games already do this, like Fortnite
  2. that's not a Nintendo online problem
  3. yes, games already support cross-progress

GTA V is a PS360 game that was never ported to Switch. Cartridge space isn't really an excuse seeing games like Wolfenstein II requiring an additional download, MK11 being 32gb, and etc.

"Oh but the PS360 build was abandoned!!": They could've scaled back the PS4/XBO versions. Skyrim on the Switch is the Special Edition (the remaster) scaled back. And we have PS4/XBO open world games that are more demanding that got late ports.

They're most likely going for a next gen(well, current gen) only game, and with releasing it at the very least 11 years before the last game that, they're going for some high end graphics and gameplay systems to further differentiate itself from anything before. It's gonna be something that'll squeeze out everything from the machines.

They didn't make way less effort to port GTA V to Switch. They aren't gonna make some serious high effort to port GTA VI to Drake. At the absolute most it'd have a late port, seeing that the team definitely wouldn't have any Drake dev kits until very late in development to start porting. And again they could've made a late port of GTA V but didn't. And that's with a hundred million used base.

I think RDR2 is the most likely games to get a late port for Drake, with them maybe porting the PS4/XBO version of GTA V, and releasing remasters they do in the future for Drake as well.

In the matter of games that could be the "Skyrim" of Drake, I think Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077 and the Resident Evil games are way more likely candidates than anything by Rockstar. If something by R* joins them, RDR2 is my bet.

I'm sure they'd love to have it but I doubt it's a priority for them. What they need to focus on is having a steady stream of first-party killer apps within year one, as they did with the Switch in 2017.

switch is sprinting towards ps2/ds numbers without the slightest sniff of gta v they'll be fine
Switch's potential is much more than DS/PS2 levels. DS+PSP combination sold a total of 240m in that generation and as the only handheld, Switch had the potential to reach the unique owners of that number (actually it still has that potential). Only thing it has to do is reach out the teenager demographic, most difficult one for Nintendo. GTA/CoD might be the best way to achieve that, similar games are among the best sellers on Switch (GTA Trilogy, Ezio Collection)
I'm sure they'd love to have it but I doubt it's a priority for them. What they need to focus on is having a steady stream of first-party killer apps within year one, as they did with the Switch in 2017.
Ensuring GTA is on Switch is a job for Nintendo of America. They wouldn't be in the way of EPD making first party titles.

Nintendo doesn't need GTA nor Rockstar needs Switch, yeah. They don't need Mario Kart or XBox either, but they do, however, like money and Nintendo would rather have more system sellers than less.

And it's even more important for Nintendo to build bridges now in the fat cow period than wait until they may actually need some help and have little to offer to the other party. So yeah, they will be serious about getting more 3rd party support, including GTA.

That's not to say that Rockstar are willing to play ball or they will reach an agreement both would accept, but I do think that Nintendo would be willing to go some extra length if it's nothing outrageous.

NoA will try really hard for sure, and it will result in their biggest effort to get a third-party port, at least after the Iwata era. In the end we'll be getting a late cloud version though. Even a Witcher 3 situation seems very improbable.

Back
Top Bottom