• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How old are you? And do you think that you'll ever stop playing games?

How old are you

• Under 18

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 19-25

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • 26-30

Votes: 64 24.4%
  • 31-40

Votes: 121 46.2%
  • 41-50

Votes: 39 14.9%
  • 51-60

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Older than 60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm 30.. will be 31 this year; And while I don't plan of stopping playing video games, I gotta say that modern day gaming makes me super uninterested... if wasn't for Nintendo, the occasional drop of some of my favorite legacy franchises like Crash and the interesting Indie game here and there, I'd be mainly stuck playing old games.

But it's fine for me; It's not there's any shortage of great games made in the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. And I still have plenty to get through.

I'm a little younger than OP but I remember the attitude that video games were uncool when I was growing up. I think a lot of people learn that as teenagers and never grow out of it. I got away from gaming in high school and came back in my mid-20s (somehow I became a Wii U early adopter). As an adult I've long since given up caring what other people think about it. I imagine I'll keep playing video games, watching movies, etc. for the foreseeable future. Maybe gaming trends will change and I'll become an angry old man about it and quit.

32. And idk. I don’t think so. If Nintendo ever stopped making games I think that’d be it for me. Every year it feels like my desire for playing games has been different though. Feels like I could use a relatively down year to focus on other things.

I'm in my late 20s now. Some of my earliest memories playing games is playing Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars and Donkey Kong Country on a hand-me-down SNES. I've been playing games for as long as I can remember. I really see it as just consuming any kind of media like movies and music. Gaming really only fell off for me during my post-high school years, but honestly it was more of me being slow to realize my taste in games just wasn't the same anymore. But the Switch really encouraged me to expand my taste in games thanks to its diverse library. And I'm always gonna line up for the next Fire Emblem, Zelda and Mario games anyway. I just don't see myself not playing games anymore just because I'm getting older.

28. I always played games though I started to play games more regularly since the launch of the Switch. Both on Switch and PC. But the past 2 years it is getting less again because of Work and then me being too tired to play games.

My age has basically become an irrelevant number to me. But I'm in the majority bracket on here (shudder). I honestly wish I could stop completely even though I definitely don't game as often as I used to. I never considered it part of my identity. I have other interests which I'd rather be more productive in and spend more time with those these days.

I usually regret buying or don't even play alot of the games I spuriously get on sale. I also tend to loathe the general discourse about videogames most the time. I hate speculation threads, I hate sales threads, I dislike the weirdly, seemingly manic-adjacent shopping threads, I hate the hyperbole of review threads or other people's impressions on games (as they are rarely articulate enough from the standpoint of not knowing them), I hate "the writing" in videogames like as if some games exist for their prose (I'll read a book, thanks), and then the "fans" who are "never listened to" (like it should be most the time jfc).

Then there's just the state of the industry itself: chasing cutting edge graphics that we are nurtured to give a fuck about (similar to FOMO), ballooning budgets, overworked workforce, subsequently terminating said workforce, closing studios, toxic shitheads that can work anywhere and everywhere, crunch and overworked employees, microtransactions and dlc, hundred dollar games and bullshit merit behind it.

Like a some here have said I still like some indie games occassionally and retro games (back when I guess game designers were still discovering the possibilities as now it just feels things are set in certain ways and it is just not as interesting).

Edit: And I swear to God if somebody replies to my post in a glib and dismissive way to the last part with: "Play more games."

I'm 39 in a little less than a month, was a very big gamer from about 8 till around 18, being a predominately Nintendo kid.

But by 18 I had met my now wife and was of a legal age to go out so it took a back seat and the only game I'd ever really jump on was Wow. When I was 21 I travelled around the world and settled in the UK with my partner for 2 years before eventually heading back home. During that whole time the only gaming I did was play Football Manager on the Laptop.

Moving back home in the mid 2000's my younger sister gave me her old GCN as she was gearing up to get a Wii. Made me realise why I loved Gaming and Nintendo especially and I was hooked. Got a Wii, the same as my sister and since then I've been all in on Gaming again. Right now I'll play either on Switch, Ps5 or PC.

I have three children who can all play the switch so as a Family of five we have nights of Mario Kart and Smash Brothers and I'll play Single player games on my Ps5 (Not to say I don't play the Single player games on Switch) and on the PC I'll play multiplayer games with Friends.

Do I think I'll stop gaming, not really. As long as companies like Nintendo continue to make games I think I'll continue to play them, especially when I see the wonder a game like TOTK brings to my Childrens faces.

39, 3 kids. Won't stop ever probably?

I have an unhealthy obsession with retro gaming stuff too which keeps me balanced against modern games. The hobby in general is just fascinating and there is so much out there to learn. Would love to make my own game for fun at some point too. Not enough time in the day/week to do everything I'd like to do, but yeah the hobby is still really engaging and fun to me.

Thankfully there is so many different types of games coming out to keep my attention because modern triple A games really don't. That we're getting a new Endless Ocean in a month is bananas and is why I love gaming.

Born in the year the first Metal Gear released, Snake and me share the same first name. Never be Game Over! This is destiny.

Did my mom ask you to post this?!

I'm 32, ma! This "phase" ain't ending any time soon.

Turned 40 this year, am married, we have three kids, our own home and i have a decent (paying) job.

I shut those voices about stopping playing games up years ago via actions, not words. ^^

Though i do admit i play less since my golden college times due to family and work.

This is something that my mother still asks me from time to time, letter by letter, though way more aggressively, and she doesn't give me a poll lol

thirties

literally no. why would I?

it’s a hobby like any other hobby. it comes and goes in waves but if you enjoy it… you can just do it.

your friends are weird

I'm 33.

And no, I don't. It's a hobby like any other, so it would be like asking me whether I will stop reading, listening to music, riding my bike, and etc. It might happen, but I don't think it will.

I am 31, and as long as mario party exist, and I have friends and family, then I will always be playing video games.

If my father can play god damn dominoes deep in his 70s I ain't giving up gaming unless the entire industry just magically decides to start making exclusively games I don't find fun.

33. I'll be playing as long as the universe allows me to play. I definitely do not engage in as much extra curricular gaming activities as I used to like podcasts, game previews, and other little things, but I have been gaming since before I knew my ABC's and I don't see myself ever stopping.

In my early 50s. I started on a Commodore 64 and credit games with my software developer career, my lifelong reading habit and helping me acquire English as a foreign language early on in my life - which helped immensely years later in my academics and job.

My father, in his early 80s, a former merchant marine captain who discovered gaming along side me is also still going strong with his love for X-plane and Microsoft simulator.

Gaming has never stopped me from enjoying other activities or been an impediment whatsoever. Don’t see myself quitting any time soon :)

I'll be 36 this year, and been gaming since I was 5. Simple answer is no.

Long answer is:

Like any hobby, it'll have its ups and downs, but in general, you do eventually pick it back up to enjoy once again. For example, I'm slowly getting back into photography after several years of not really doing a whole lot outside of the occasional snapshot with my camera. I miss shooting Motorsport, and Aerial photography especially.

As far as gaming is concerned, for me is like comfort food. I don’t always want it, nor do I crave it, but when I do, I will sink hours into it, and not think twice about it. For me, it’s a nice reset of my mental health as I can for a short period of time at least, forget about everything else around me. It’s a great privilege to have, and one I am proud to afford.

I think about the same every time I get in to drive my 2005 Mini Cooper S; a car that I’ve owned for almost 18 years. I forget about everything else, and just drive. I have little care in the world as I automatically shift through the gears like I am part of some symphony orchestra trying to conduct the musicians. When everything is in sync, it is a tremendously good feeling.

Photography, Gaming, and Driving are all interconnected for me. Don’t think I’ll ever give them up fully.

I'm 30.

Probably not? I could foresee a world where I get so taken away by personal things and work and maybe another hobby that I stop playing games. Hard to imagine a world where I don't at least play a handheld on a flight or something.

Back
Top Bottom