• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How old are you? And do you think that you'll ever stop playing games?

How old are you

• Under 18

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 19-25

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • 26-30

Votes: 64 24.4%
  • 31-40

Votes: 121 46.2%
  • 41-50

Votes: 39 14.9%
  • 51-60

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Older than 60

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't really want to give away my age, I'll just say I'm 20 something.

I have memories of gaming from when I was three years old. It's something I've done my whole life. I've tried weight lifting and attempted to learn an instrument but I find that nothing has given me the same amount of fun as video games. Sometimes I wonder if others will find it weird if I'm still playing games when I'm 60 or 70.

So I'm 42 and gaming has been my major hobby.
Last night I got into a discussion with a group of people (all non gamers) and all of them found bizarre that I'm still into gaming at this age. Of course I didn't care since I know it's a stereotypical argument (games are for kids only blah blah). Their main argument was that at one point I have to stop gaming which sounds so bizarre to me. My argument was that people don't stop watching movies, reading books or listening to music as they get older, why would gaming be any different?

However it got me into thinking if I'll ever stop gaming, not just stop one day more like gradually play less and less. Personally I don't think so, but what about you?
My mom and dad are both in their 60s and they both play games. Eventually I am likely to suffer from severe dementia and I will no longer be playing games but as long as I am able I see no reason why I would stop.

The frequency in which I play games has already drastically gone down though. Gaming when I was a teen was basically daily. Now I go for weeks without playing anything.

33 and I've mostly lost interest in games outside of a few franchises. All I really care about is Mario, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, and an occasional dive into retro stuff. Reading and movies have really taken over as my main hobbies.
That pesky plumber will probably keep me playing games until the sun goes out

Early 30s, and I think I've had to grapple with the realization there aren't enough years in my life to play all the games I want to play before I leave this mortal plane behind me, than I would with the idea of voluntarily giving up gaming.

I'll dive into games as often as I'll dive into books when I want a well crafted narrative with engaging mechanics. I could see myself giving up new releases and focusing on my backlog if the industry makes a shift in a direction I'm not fond of that's streaming only with a near laser focus on multiplayer gacha bullshit, but I think we'd need more than a few more catastrophic consolidation events in rapid succession over the next decade before that happens.

Even if it does come to the worst case scenario that's not apocalyptic in nature, I could put a hard deadline of not playing any game released prior to 2024 and I'm sure there are weird, unknown games on consoles I've not yet owned that could still be played and scratch an itch I didn't know I had to fill several lifetimes. I mean hell, I've still not played a single Final Fantasy game, mainline or spinoff! I don't doubt they'll be up my alley, but it's just one of those things that slipped me by.

As long as Nintendo’s still around and making games, I’ll be playing them as long as I’m able to. My interest in gaming has never diminished at all throughout the years—it’s only grown stronger. I don’t understand how so many people just kinda…give up on the interests that they were once so passionate about as they grow older. It’s honestly really sad seeing friends you’ve known for a decade or more and used to bond with over specific shared interests slowly lose that passion that they once had for those interests, and it seems to be so common that that happens…

Last edited:
25, and I think I’ll be playing for the rest of my life unless something changes drastically…

There are times I feel burnt out and take a break, usually for a couple weeks while I do something else, but I can’t imagine never coming back to them. Even if its just replaying games I like for the rest of time, there’s always something to enjoy.

I am 32, and I have a feeling while I'll always play games, I'm going to be much more selective and out of the loop when it comes to new games. I've mostly been sticking with retro titles the last several years, and I've been having more fun listening about gaming history than actually you know, playing brand new games.

But it can be pretty isolating and lonely.

Mid 30's here. I'm definitely getting less and less interested in current games. This has started since the advent of aggressive monetization in the 7th console generation. FOMO regarding added content has made me not buy games at all or wait forever to finally pick up a complete edition very cheap, because I'm not inclined to pay 100+ bucks for a game either. I actually didn't play video games much at all between 2013 and 2017. I don't have to tell you guys what changed in 2017. These days I play indies and the first and third party titles on Switch that are more traditional in their style and monetization. Because honestly, even if the money thing wasn't an issue, I sometimes feel like I'm just getting out of touch lol. Really no interest at all in a game like Palworld or the hyper cinematic stuff companies like Sony put out. Also, I must confess, some of these new games use too many damn buttons 🫣. I bought a PS4 Pro a year ago (mainly to play the Kiseki games) and so often I get the triangle, options and right touchpad mixed up. Makes me feel really old..

Besides the Switch renewing my interest in games, I also started to get more heavily into retro gaming and collecting. I think this will be the main part of my hobby for the rest of my life. Not like I will ever run out of obscure old games to play. For example I've been playing Silent Hill 1 and 2 this winter and currently I'm playing Final Fantasy 1 for the first time (Pixel remaster version though, I don't feel like dealing with all the bugs in the NES version).

But it can be pretty isolating and lonely.

How come, there are really active retro communities all over the internet. Do you need help connecting with people? I like to browse the retro section on Twitch to find like minded retro gamers. Joining their discords is great to find people to talk to about old games.

Last edited:
Mid-30s.

I remember back when I was in 8th grade (2002/2003), older kids and adults told me that I would stop caring about video games by the time I got to high school.

It's been over 20 years since then and there hasn't been a single day in my life where I stopped caring about games. If it didn't happen then, I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Well into my 40s, and don’t ever intend to stop gaming. Of course, the time spent on it and the kind of games varies over time, since I’m quite busy with my job and kids.
I think I sorta had that moment of « people find it weird I still play video games » in my late 20s, and I essentially shut everyone up with retorts like « when do you intend to stop insert whatever their hobby is »
When you ask people why gaming should be considered differently than, say, playing chess, poker, being a car enthusiast etc, they kinda see the point.

What’s funny is that many relatives/friends who were asking me about this years ago have now gotten a bit back into gaming after having kids. I’m the resident expert they sometimes consult about video games, it’s pretty cool.

I have to say that playing some classics with my kids is really fantastic. I’m probably gonna have massive nostalgia in a decade or two, remembering when we went through all the Zeldas and Marios, and even Metroid.

I turned 40 a few months back and nope, I don’t see myself stopping barring any sort of life changing disability. Even then I would probably try to play something that I could manage or focus more on board games depending on my abilities.

OP absolutely nailed it by asking if you’re supposed outgrow movies and TV shows. My long held belief is that gaming is a valid entertainment medium and it’s been reaffirming to see it increasingly seep into the mainstream here in the West. And I’d much rather play a game than passively watch a mindless TV show.

But like others have said, my time is more limited now due to other obligations and branching out into other interests. So my habits have certainly changed a bit but mostly just focusing on the things I like and learning to pass over a lot of what’s out there if it doesn’t grab me no matter how good the buzz is which fortunately is a lot of what the AAA devs in the West are churning out. This doesn’t mean I don’t try new things but this is a hobby I enjoy as a way to unwind and often enjoy some sort of interactive narrative. Life’s too short to spend time on things one doesn’t like.

Approaching 30. I've gamed at most opportunities when time and money have made is possible. First game was either Sonic 1 or Tony hawk 1, don't remember which. The jump to ps2 visuals floored me. Didn't even know the 360/Ps3/Wii were out until years afterwards. Some of my best memories are playing multiplayer video games at family member's houses. Gaming was mostly aspirational for me, growing up, something I saw other people do more often than did myself.

I've never once in real life heard anyone say games were only for kids or x demographic before Luckily enough. So there's never been any social expectation on me that I should stop gaming. Although it is a fairy sedentary and often time consuming hobby.

Like many I've had long bouts of minor mental health issues issues and ADHD problems that make it hard to enjoy things in life at times. Zoning out and feeling empty for months, once years at a time. Filling the dopamine rush but not really enjoying myself. And when it finally clicks, the joy is gone by tomorrow. Thankfully this hasn't happened in any major way for several years.

My attention span has definately gotten shorter. Just in general. I'm falling off more games due to not being engaged in short bursts by either the story or gameplay or level design. I think its part of why I prefer games with fun movement systems, or simple continuous play and levels that don't get too repetitive.

I am lucky enough to have plenty of free time and some decent money so I can certainly afford gaming as hobby, especially on the lower end. But its really hard to justify jumping on new games that cost $120 AUD, knowing they will be $40 or less within a year. Especially when I have several family members in need.

I think a big part is I stopped having people to talk to about games when I started full time work. Also as I get older, spending time on purely recreational activities seems harder to justify. I don't really have any major life goals ahead of me to stress over anymore but there's always lots of chores that quickly catch up on me and the feeling that you could be doing something more productive is pain.

Also choice-paralysis, there are so many games out now, old and new and indi, let alone streaming/books/tv/social media...
Just choosing what I'm in the mood for is a pain and dropping out at "bad" parts of games because I could be enjoying something more gets me a lot.

That said, recently I play a tone of local multiplayer games with family, random stuff on gamepass and steam. Online just doesn't come close to replacing the multiplayer experience for me. I know if my sibling gets busier my gaming time will likely decrease a good chunk. But there's usually something fun to play around the corner. Or something else engaging to do, really. I'm going to walk my dog now.

Mid 30s.
I'm not really sure if I ever gonna stop gaming, but it all depends on the type of games that are coming out lately, they don't really look all that interesting to me, therefore I always go back to older titles. It just that cinematic stuff that I do not understand, why would I want to play an action game with more cinematics than actual gameplay? (That is my age speaking). As long as they are interesting to me, I'll be there, if not (which I really doubt) then, I'm out.

I'm 45, a late Gen X-er born in '78 (same year as Space Invaders.... Coincidence? I think not!).

I'm in a position where my time is now very constrained; between the kids, dog, wife, work, making sure my house isn't a shithole (compounded by kids and dog), keeping on top of my health and trying to have some semblance of a social life, the time left over for gaming shrinks by the year.

I'd like to think that I'll always be gaming in some way or another, but I honestly feel that the further gaming goes, the further away it gets from what it was that made me happy. The arcade scene during my childhood and early adulthood, the quirkiness of hardware and the whacky creativity of developers, the endless optimism over where the industry was headed and the purest of hype surrounding things like E3 (before the internet was determined to ruin it all).

It's also very, VERY expensive. Sure, we both work, but I have to really think about shelling out on £400+ hardware when games are reaching a point where £70 + DLC/season pass is becoming the norm. I had a PS5 preordered, extra pad, launch games etc..... Then I realised that's the best part of a holiday for my kids, or their clothes, or the difference between my car being repaired or not. I find the best part of £1K hard to swallow for what is considered a luxury hobby. Real world responsibility has an impact on your hobbies, especially in the times we live in.

Last edited:
The only way I'll stop is if I no longer am physically able to.

I have arthritis so this may be an eventuality.

Never. I never liked just sitting and watching TV shows and stuff like that. So this is where my downtime goes. It’s funny when people criticise me for playing video games but then go sit and watch TV for 5 hours a day. If anything I’d say video games are better for my brain than just sitting and watching

I'm 29, and I don't believe there'll ever be an expiration date on my fondness for gaming, even if I inevitably experience long stretches during which I'm not playing much. As a matter of fact, I've been in one of those exact stretches for the past year or two, and only recently have I begun to finally get back into the swing of things. I finished Returnal, and just started Lies of P (both excellent games that line up with my taste extremely well), and I'm planning on putting some time into Helldivers 2 as well. I'm enjoying myself just as much as I always have -- my love for gaming doesn't diminish. I'm just not 19 years old anymore, so gone are the days of a couple dozen hours per week spent on video games.

I have lots else I still plan on playing, but I'll continue to ease my way back in. If you'd told the 2019, madly-in-love-with-RE2-remake version of me that he'd go on a long gaming hiatus and put off playing RE4 remake (the original being my #1 favorite game of all time) for like a year, he'd think there was something seriously wrong with future him (and maybe there is, in fairness!), but it just goes to show how things can change quite a bit in just a few short years. 🥲 Time is unlimited... until it's not.

As long as Nintendo’s still around and making games, I’ll be playing them as long as I’m able to. My interest in gaming has never diminished at all throughout the years—it’s only grown stronger. I don’t understand how so many people just kinda…give up on the interests that they were once so passionate about as they grow older. It’s honestly really sad seeing friends you’ve known for a decade or more and used to bond with over specific shared interests slowly lose that passion that they once had for those interests, and it seems to be so common that that happens…
I feel ya. For some people it's just inevitable. You work, you're tired. You have a wife, kids. You are beholden to them above spending time on games. When you do get the time to yourself you may be physically and mentally drained, and that time has to compete with any other interests you may have(for me it's writing music, something I should do more, but sometimes choose games over) and then on top of it, a lot, lot lot of games are derivative these days - seems like you're just playing the same thing over and over. Luckily there are still a lot of indies trying new things all the time, and Mario/Zelda/Metroid(every eon or so)/smash are always fun

I'm 43 and no I don't plan on stopping. It's like enjoying books or films. The types of games I enjoy has expanded and contracted over the years, but I always come back to the core. I can't imagine a new Mario, Zelda, or Metroid comes out and not being interested. And should those stop coming, I'll keep going back to the classics.

I'm on the younger end of the spectrum and I don't think I'll stop playing games ever. I'd prefer to live my life in a way that I don't have to give up my hobbies, even if I know there's no way to guarantee that won't happen when the time comes

Did not expect my age bracket to be the most common on tbh, thought the board skewed more toward gen z, interesting.

The quality of games would need to drop off significantly for me to stop playing video games.

I'm 26 and I've been playing video games since I was very young. I don't think I'll ever stop because it's my preferred way to engage in entertainment for the most part, as picking apart game mechanics and stuff is the peak of entertainment for me. Not to say I don't watch anime or movies or read books, but those are just lesser priorities in hobbies than games.

I'm 26, and I'll probably never stop. If you've seen food4dogs on Youtube, she's what I imagine myself like at an old age.

I hope to never stop

if I live to the point where I can't hold my controllers anymore or my eyes fail me I hope tech has advanced to we can do Sword Art Online-style VR.

Last edited:
Did not expect my age bracket to be the most common on tbh, thought the board skewed more toward gen z, interesting.

The quality of games would need to drop off significantly for me to stop playing video games.
nah this age group has the most experience with forums and discussion boards. I'm not surprised at all with the results. younger age groups probably top out at reddit for their forum experience.

I turn 39 next month. I've had videogames in my life since I can remember. We got an NES with SMB/Duck Hunt and TMNT2: The Arcade Game and we rented stuff on the regular.

If gaming pushes towards all digital everywhere or streaming, I'll probably stop playing new games but I have no reason to stop playing old games. I've got a giant setup of hdmi modded older consoles and I'll happily play all of that stuff forever. I'll probably replay Chrono Trigger for the 40th time when I retire.

28, I play video games pretty regularly, but mostly out of peer pressure. A few hours a week at most is what I want to play. I don't think I'll ever stop playing games, but I can definitely see myself deciding to stop playing anything modern, and especially AAA. There's a ton of great games that I missed because of time, age, and knowledge, and I wanna go back and enjoy where the modern medium of video games began. I don't think that passion will ever go away, but I can definitely see modern companies spoiling my desire to participate in the current industry even just as a consumer.

I do find my game time drop in couple years,
mostly because I'm so tired in real life that I wanna do nothing on my limited spare time, just idle.
HUGE Mario fan here but I didn't 100% 3D World + Bowser's Fury, still progressing W4 in Wonder since release date.
It's unthinkable back in time, crazy.

24 here. Sadly, I do think my overall interest in gaming frequently has diminished over time. It’s not that I really lack the time, moreso just general depression about the current state of the world clouds my mind. It makes it harder to game. I miss the days when my mind was free of all of that kind of serious stuff and I used 100% of my brainpower just to focus on gaming.
I’ll still definitely be there for big releases in my fav franchises though, and I don’t view anyone as lesser for gaming at an older age. Gaming is a huge, widely accepted hobby now and some folks just gotta get used to that.
I do think I have reached that unhealthy stage of “talks about games more than plays them”, but there’s just nothing I can really do about it.

37 and videogames have been the only constant thing in my life since I can remember. And I believe that will continue as long as I'm able to hold a controller in my hand.

I am mid 30's (it really feels like I got 30 yesterday but alas) and after years of trying finally got a job in the video game industry. So yeah, I remember that friends and family would say you will not game when you are older. Which was partly true, as I very much stopped mostly with gaming during my studies. Now thanks to the Nintendo Switch I got back into the hobby again.

What the future will bring no idea. Perhaps when I start a family, gaming will not be as big as a thing for me as it is now. Curious to see of course! :D

Mid 40s. I have phases where I play a lot less, sometimes nothing. But then the interest comes back in full force.
So, I think I will never really stop, except maybe due to health issues or something unexpected.
OP said it already. People don't stop reading, listening to music, watching a movie. Gaming is nothing different to me.

Games often are a big time investment though. That is a struggle already and I don't have kids.
Several friends stopped playing games for some years, when their kids were little. Now they play again, occasionally.

29. I’m at the point where I don’t really play video games, I play Nintendo games. I think AAA has largely left me behind which is a huge part of the reason. It’s also easier to ‘keep up’ (he says as he starts a playthrough of Spirit Tracks) if I mostly focus on games Nintendo makes for the Switch. I can’t think of the last non-Nintendo release I got a launch day, maybe Doom Eternal?

And no. I just enjoy them a lot. I love a good movie, show and occasionally a book. But videogames scratch that itch and just make me feel like a kid.

Mind you, I’m very much an adult and sometimes it makes me roll my eyes how responsible I can be. But videogames giving you that peace of mind and your zen moment, I hope it won’t go away

I just turned 26 like a week ago and that pushes me into an older age bracket :( I feel my bones disintegrating

No reason to stop tbh. Even if I get way too busy to sit down in front of a TV, there's still portables.

I'm 36, and have been playing games with my partner for... God, it'll be 20 years soon enough. It's one of the things we love doing the most, especially together. I don't see us giving that up anytime soon

Their main argument was that at one point I have to stop gaming which sounds so bizarre to me.

They probably had girlfriends or boyfriends way too early lol. Boring, generic "work and family" adults make me snooze. I'm 32, playing since 7-8 and I don't plan on retiring if the universe lets me. I've had and still have from time to time periods where I don't feel like playing anything for days or even weeks, but that's more my mind being an overthinking asshole than anything else. Also, I'm a goofy child trapped inside a man's body and I'm super happy and proud about it. Life is so much more fun like that lol.

Last edited:
32 here and even though it's not as big a hobby for me as it was in my teens/20's it's still a weekly, if not daily some weeks, pastime. I don't honestly think I'll ever truly stop playing games, though I feel I'll hit a wall with modern releases at some point. Feels like I'm already approaching the stage in my life where I get more value from a wider selection of games from my past than the few annual releases I pick up on newer systems. I'm finding fewer titles grab me in the same way as some that I originally played 10-20 years ago and still find myself able to go back to and enjoy.

I'm also not finding myself as wowed by the visual improvements of big AAA games as time goes on. Used to be big on blockbuster titles up until they became more cinematic, for lack of a better word. I can absolutely appreciate highly detailed models, environments and animations, but they don't do enough to propel a lot of games to that "I just need to play a little more" level. Even those where I find the story moderately intriguing. A lot feels like retreading past experiences in a higher definition, if that makes sense.

I'll be 35 in a couple of months, and no I'll never stop gaming. I have stopped gaming as much as I have gotten older, but that's due to having life commitments and all that comes with that. I don't really have the capacity to sit at home and game for 8+ hours a day anymore like I used to be able to do.

I'm 41 and I don't see myself stopping. My taste in gaming has changed as I've gotten older though... I am way more into Single Player focused RPG's, a lot of CRPG/TRPG/SRPG on PC.

However, with that I've also re-discovered my love of Nintendo. I really fell off on Nintendo from GameCube through Wii U, only playing select games during that time and missing a LOT of classics. With Switch (and soon to be Switch 2 hopefully) I've really fallen back in love with Nintendo and their games. I recently started my first Pokémon game since Pokémon Black (went with Violet) and am having a great time, looking forward to starting Arceus later this year!

I'm not sure why my tastes have changed as much as they have, but the nostalgia of Nintendo and what I grew up with, my love of The Legend of Zelda growing further and just really enjoying the worlds Nintendo creates again has helped me enjoy games more now at 41 than ever before.

Last edited:
So I'm 42 and gaming has been my major hobby.
Last night I got into a discussion with a group of people (all non gamers) and all of them found bizarre that I'm still into gaming at this age. Of course I didn't care since I know it's a stereotypical argument (games are for kids only blah blah). Their main argument was that at one point I have to stop gaming which sounds so bizarre to me. My argument was that people don't stop watching movies, reading books or listening to music as they get older, why would gaming be any different?

However it got me into thinking if I'll ever stop gaming, not just stop one day more like gradually play less and less. Personally I don't think so, but what about you?
i started playing at 5 year old, when my late maternal grandfather gave me a GBC and a SNES as a birthday present, since that i had most of Nintendo consoles(be it handheld/home console)and i saving money for Switch sucessor ounce it launch here in Brazil, i currently that 32 years old and i dont see myself stop gaming, i will be at 80/90 years old, still playing the lastest Legend of Zelda, Mario and others

I'm a few years older than you, OP, and I expect that I'll continue to play video games until my body gives out or I turn into a totally different person (like a cross country enthusiast) in retirement. My spouse is playing the Eiyuden Chronicles beta and many of our friends also still enjoy video games.

I will say, though, that I'm kind of disappointed that video games haven't progressed more than they have. Back when I was, you know, a kid or even in my twenties, I expected that we'd be in Tron or The Matrix by now (and have artificial organs). Instead, all four of my favorite games last year were iterations on series/gameplay going back twenty to forty years. Oh well.

Turned 30 recently. Will I always play games? idk. Even now it waxes and wanes. I still play hundreds of hours a year, but I often take several week breaks between them. I imagine I'll always be at least interested in games, but I could see a point where I'm old enough and games have changed enough that I'd only watch streams or something

As somebody in my mid-thirties, I was part of the first wave of people who were able to grow up on home consoles. At least to me, the question is like asking "are you ever going to stop reading or watching movies?", the same as OP. It's just media for me to digest like everything else. My interest in games varies but I can never see myself just "stopping".

I also watch e-sports a lot too, so even if I stopped playing games entirely I'd like still watch them as a spectator sport or a la streaming.

38 and never plan to stop. Games are better than they've ever been before, and there is always so much I want to play, but with limited time.

My gaming habits are changing though. I much, much prefer shorter games now. And I'm finally letting go of being a completionist and mostly just engaging with the content I want to.

I dont plan to have kids, and my partner enjoys games as well, so I usually have ample time to play. We're towards the end of It Takes Two and it's honestly been the best co-op experience ever for me, and one of my favorite games of all time.

Never plan on stopping. Games are my favorite hobby by an extremely large margin, for all the faults this industry might have nothing appeals to my tastes as much as video games. Realistically anyone going out of their way to enter message boards like this isn’t gonna stop playing games TBH

Back
Top Bottom