• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club How do you rank Scarlet and Violet?

Here is my totally biased tier list.

Pokémon Yellow had to be S tier just because is the closest to the TV anime. Not having more games based on the anime is one of the biggest mistakes of the franchise.

KPYjtjo.png

Last edited:
Pokémon Yellow had to be S tier just because is the closest to the TV anime. Not having more games based on the anime is one if the biggest mistakes of the franchise.

That would be neat! I definitely would have played a Pokemon Yellow-esque Johto game with these goofballs from the Raikou anime special:

hqdefault.jpg

I was ready to give up on the series (though Legends was decent), but Violet was so much fun. Top tier for me.

I don’t understand how anyone could put the og RS over ORAS. I get with Emerald it’s a more controversial choice, but RS? The only thing it has over the remake is the berry blending minigame, the game corner and the safari zone mechanics. Definitely not worth over all the improvements from ORAS

I don’t understand how anyone could put the og RS over ORAS. I get with Emerald it’s a more controversial choice, but RS? The only thing it has over the remake is the berry blending minigame, the game corner and the safari zone mechanics. Definitely not worth over all the improvements from ORAS
While I'd put ORAS over RS, I do think the cutscene intrusions can drag the pacing down compared to the original, and I don't like how they truncated certain dungeons like Mt. Pyre and the Trick House. Probably other changes for the worst, but those are the first ones that pop into my head.

Scarlet and Violet in a world where they have no performance issues - would be a real contender for my favourite Pokemon games to date.

Scarlet and Violet as they exist - lower half of my personal top tier generations (4, 5 and 7).

I agree.

Plus ORAS has more of the Pokemon """"deep lore""" Ohmori is fond of putting in his games with stuff like Sea Mauville, and the Delta Episode.

I just love them.

my-image-7.png

Some notes:
-I try not to have it play a big part but nostalgia is admittedly a factor here. For example, Scarlet is in between Red/Blue and Yellow because I have a ton of nostalgia for Red and Blue and not as much for the little quirks that were in Yellow.

-I have little grievances with ORAS and FRLG that led me to enjoy them less and thus rank them a lot lower than they probably otherwise deserve because I just way prefer the originals and constantly think I'd just rather be playing those. If I could more objectively evaluate them, FRLG would probably be at the top of B+ or near the bottom of A and ORAS would be at the top of B.

-Part of why I don't like USUM as much might just be gen 7 not being as kind to replays as other gens.

-If I counted DLC then Sword/Shield would be a fair bit higher, but the ranking thing I used didn't have the DLC pass and I wanted to evaluate the game Game Freak released in 2019 since that's what I spent money on. Just the Sword/Shield Pass alone would go above BDSP, and Sword/Shield as one package plus the DLC would land it right below X/Y. I also expect the Scarlet/Violet DLC and updates (if they improve performance) to land it somewhere well into A tier, possibly at the top of it if the game really grows on me. I'm not biased against the Switch era, I swear!

-I kinda regret not putting BDSP into C tier but I'm too lazy to export the image again. I still goes above base Sword/Shield regardless though.

-I genuinely really like all of these games except for Legends Arceus. Even base Sword/Shield and Colosseum, which I both found very disappointing at release, I enjoyed more than most non-Pokemon games from their respective release years.

g7qh0mN.png

It's good, but it didn't crack my Top 3 which is still Black/White/2, Sun/Moon/Ultra, and HGSS. But I think I'd put it right after that.

Looking at my list is reminding me just how crowded my 'B' tier is, lol. There are a lot of Pokemon games that I find to be perfectly good games but don't love or find that they really jump ahead of the pack in any way. Even the C tier games I still enjoy, just not as much, and D/P remakes are mostly in D tier just because they're so incredibly bland and boring, combined with being remakes of my least favorite base generation.

g7qh0mN.png

It's good, but it didn't crack my Top 3 which is still Black/White/2, Sun/Moon/Ultra, and HGSS. But I think I'd put it right after that.

Looking at my list is reminding me just how crowded my 'B' tier is, lol. There are a lot of Pokemon games that I find to be perfectly good games but don't love or find that they really jump ahead of the pack in any way. Even the C tier games I still enjoy, just not as much, and D/P remakes are mostly in D tier just because they're so incredibly bland and boring, combined with being remakes of my least favorite base generation.
Our tastes are very similar, also because of the crowded mid tiers. Pokémon games are most of the times at least that good!

Violet is not on my top because I can not play with two of my favorite Pokémon (Phione and Reuniclus).

h2VsEwH.png

The only factors not abstract that can be measured to determined the position:
  • Favorite Pokémon avaiable
  • Battle system

Last edited:
Personally I think they are some of the best of the series.

I want to preface this by saying I never grew up with this series. Most of the early ones suck, terribly, genwunners drown in nostalgia. Cause danm it’s much better today, though the switch games did cut back and I wish they did not cause we could have gotten soemthing truly special.

Anyway for me they are second behind black and white 2.

I find putting both versions for each entries a bit messy so stuck with just the ones I played plus third versions where applicable.

I'm very much looking forward to Unova hopefully getting some remake/Legends attention in the next couple of years but very happy with the direction they're heading in (if you discount the ultimate disappointment that was Shining Pearl)

dEJXwJ6.png

Only saw this post now but huh, those are some unusual choices. I’d love to hear some of your reasonings behind them!

Sorry, also just saw the reply now, haha! In short, I loved gen 1 and 2 and their remakes. Arceus felt very fresh. Gen 8 was really good but the DLC (especially Crown Tundra) made it top tier for me (my favourite gen since 2). Similar with gens 3 and 7 where I thought the base games were good but their remakes made them very good. Gen 4 was a little downhill from gen 3 but there, their remakes failed to make them any better and I bounced off of them as soon as I finished the story. LGPE was a fun Pokémon Go take on gen 1 with fun mechanics but nothing for the ages. Gen 6 and 9 have potential but ultimately fall short of making my top 3 tiers. DLC for Gen 9 might change that, similar to gen 8, and tbh I'm hopeful for that. Gen 5 I straight up just don't enjoy, no matter how many chances I give it.

Edit: My rankings kind of go
S: Amazing
A: Very good
B: Good
C: Decent
D: Not up to series standards

B tier.
Better than Sword Shield but the balance and pace was all over the place because of the open world. Should have been a hybrid like Arceus, smaller open worlds that you gradually unlock.

My favourite Pokémon on Switch are Arceus and BDSP (yes yes I know, low effort but I enjoyed the combination of old formula with modern qol improvements)

I prefer R/S because to me I just wasn't a fan of the little changes made to certain parts of the game, I don't like the way they changed Mauville City and some of the redesigns of the characters are okay but for me I prefer the original designs.

As I said it is little changes that can be ignored, but that's my two cents.

Edit: also I just prefer the pixel art over the 3d models.

Last edited:
I prefer R/S because to me I just wasn't a fan of the little changes made to certain parts of the game, I don't like the way they changed Mauville City and some of the redesigns of the characters are okay but for me I prefer the original designs.

As I said it is little changes that can be ignored, but that's my two cents.

Edit: also I just prefer the pixel art over the 3d models.
I get that, but you can still experience those things in Emerald at that point. RS simply feel redundant since there’s both a better version of the same thing, and a different take with its own benefits

Extremely basic taste incoming:

S: BW 2, Emerald, PLA, BW1

A: HGSS, ORAS, RS, XD, SCARVIO (right here, could have easily been top of A if it didn't run and look like poopy, Arven story is great, open world has some issues, but is way better than Sword/shield style routes), PLAT, GOLD>CRYSTAL (Mareep gang), Sun (would be top of A if dialogue was reigned in or fully skippable, it harms my enjoyment of the game).

B+: Lets go Eevee (its cute, fight me), Colosseum, Fire red, X, Ultra Sumo (how is the 3rd version a downgrade, man they killed its story and added more filler)

B-: RB>Y, (traditional starter system is better),

C: Diamond/Pearl, really needed that 3rd version, how was the dex so bad, and game so slow, (Rip split gym paths).

D: Sword

E: BDSP

iTyHWHv.png

I don't think any Pokemon games are suitable to be in the S tier.
Platinum is my only A tier because Sinnoh is a great region with a little bit of everything.

HGSS, BW2, and USUM are good upgrades to their original games but not enough to be A-tier unless you really really enjoy the region. For every cool thing HGSS did, it did something else bad as well. The major battle teams and the diversity on a lot of them are awful, pokemon diversity in most of the routes are samey and the level pacing is self-explanatory. While BW2 improved some of the issues I have with Unova, I still don't really like Unova as a region and BW2 are just kinda okay, I can understand someone who likes Unova putting this in A or S tier. USUM is last on the B tier and on the cusp of the C tier, very marginal upgrades of SM but I really like the difficulty of major teams. Unless you like Alola, playing SM is enough.

My biggest tier because I just feel like a lot of pokemon games are just kinda here. SCVI's strong points are great but I just feel like they focused a little too hard on the open world and storytelling aspect to properly care about the other things like awful gym battles, no battle tower, and the post-game. I'm actually surprised a lot of people earlier in the thread put BDSP in anything other than D or lower. I feel like these games are overly overhated and while I understand the grievances people have with these games, I feel like these are the definitive versions of DP (I just don't understand putting DP higher than BDSP). The base gym leader battles without rematches are clever and are the few times in a game where gym leaders are using items. (I'm sorry but Gardenia and Roark having sunflora and relicanth with a choice scarf and a single move is so fun like that's mother and father right there!) I just don't feel the hatred for these games like everyone else does. ORAS is an okay game, with some great things they did like Dexnav but at the cost of gutting a majority of areas and easing the difficulty a lot. XY, SM, DP, GS, and SWSH are kinda the same thing as being great introductions of their respective regions but needing a third game to change a lot of their issues.

BW is linear and the handholding in the beginning is just too much. The pokemon diversity, in the beginning, is dreadful and I just don't enjoy the story, pokemon, or region that much. I don't feel like the region is cohesive and felt like they added geographical landmarks because the region needed more than urban and forest routes. Lets Go's strengths are its great cutscenes and graphics but that's about it. The catch method is beyond awful, the candy system is annoying and not being able to battle pokemon for exp but having to catch them using gyro is so bad. The battle system is without items and abilities for some reason and the post-game is battling 150 trainers....

While PLA is well-liked for changing the formula for people, PLA is for me, one of the worst pokemon games they've made. The region of Sinnoh is no longer and is now Hisui! Wait what does Hisui share in common with Sinnoh you may ask? Well not much! Areas that were once mazes in Sinnoh are now gutted beyond recognition. (Solaceon Ruins being a SINGLE ROOM is so funny, and the way up to Mt.Coronet and Spear Pillar is a single hallway). The battle system is a hot mess and the noble bosses are a joke. I didn't like the regional forms either and the origin forms are hideous. The region is beyond ugly with low-textured mountains and water. (The art style they were going for couldn't mask how awful and low-res everything looks, like the areas they set up are worst than some late 2000s games, where are the landmarks, mazes bffr!) The main objectives of the game are repetitive and the story is all flash with little substance. I feel like this game is getting its spotlight which is fine but trust me when I say this game is the top contender for being the worst aging game in a few years.

Last edited:
Enjoy pretty much every Pokemon game to varying degrees. D doesn't hold up well and wouldn't play again. Anything below D I just outright hated.
b4AhpMQ.png
FVg8tnM.png

Been about half a year, so I thought it'd be fun to go back and revise my tier list a bit based on how I feel about the game several months later with less recency bias, and also evened out the tiers a little more based on some recent replays. Games are only roughly ordered within their tiers. Used the GameCube games as well like some people have.

Still haven't played the Sword/Shield DLC because I actively disliked the base game, so I wasn't wanting to spend another $30 on it.

Superb Pokemon games held back by the worst technical issues I've experienced in a full priced game alongside Cyberpunk. Maybe they will get patched for the next Switch and run decently.

What aspects are most important to you in Pokémon games?
I would say the following:

• Sense of adventure and discovery
  • Soundtrack
  • Region design
  • Pokemon design
  • Player agency
  • "Player's story"
Now the interesting thing is, Scarlet and Violet are actually good at all this on paper, and I have nothing against anyone who enjoys them for those reasons whatsoever. But they don't click for me. Through my 50 hours spent with the game I never got engaged. I was at best somewhat academically interested in the game's design (because the design of the game is definitely fascinating) but there's this thing that the best Pokemon games do where they pull me into their world and send me on a journey across them, S/V not only failed to do that, it failed to do that completely at a level beyond any previous game.

"Maybe the issue is me, I've grown up"

I used to wonder if this was the case as well. but it is not. Just earlier last year, Pokemon Legends managed to do this (and very effectively deliver on everything I wanted from a new Pokemon game and became one of my favorite games on the Switch, in the series, and just ever), so a brand new Pokemon game (so not a remake, and not a replay, nothing with any scope for nostalgia lenses) still has the full potential to appeal to me and win me over.

Scarlet and Violet just didn't.

After I finished X/Y, I still spent 50 hours in the post game and then started a second file. After I finished SuMo, I still did the post-game, and then played through them again with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. Sword and Shield, I stuck around after I finished them, and I played the DLC for them.

Scarlet and Violet, I finished and I was just.... done. I have no interest in doing anything. There's a bunch of post game stuff for me to do, I don't want to. I did a couple of the Terra Raids, and can do so many more (especially the Event ones) with friends, I don't want to. The DLC is coming, I have no interest.

The game just didn't do anything for me. It is what it is.

Definitely looking forward to Legends 2 though.

I would say the following:

• Sense of adventure and discovery
  • Soundtrack
  • Region design
  • Pokemon design
  • Player agency
  • "Player's story"
Now the interesting thing is, Scarlet and Violet are actually good at all this on paper, and I have nothing against anyone who enjoys them for those reasons whatsoever. But they don't click for me. Through my 50 hours spent with the game I never got engaged. I was at best somewhat academically interested in the game's design (because the design of the game is definitely fascinating) but there's this thing that the best Pokemon games do where they pull me into their world and send me on a journey across them, S/V not only failed to do that, it failed to do that completely at a level beyond any previous game.

"Maybe the issue is me, I've grown up"

I used to wonder if this was the case as well. but it is not. Just earlier last year, Pokemon Legends managed to do this (and very effectively deliver on everything I wanted from a new Pokemon game and became one of my favorite games on the Switch, in the series, and just ever), so a brand new Pokemon game (so not a remake, and not a replay, nothing with any scope for nostalgia lenses) still has the full potential to appeal to me and win me over.

Scarlet and Violet just didn't.

After I finished X/Y, I still spent 50 hours in the post game and then started a second file. After I finished SuMo, I still did the post-game, and then played through them again with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. Sword and Shield, I stuck around after I finished them, and I played the DLC for them.

Scarlet and Violet, I finished and I was just.... done. I have no interest in doing anything. There's a bunch of post game stuff for me to do, I don't want to. I did a couple of the Terra Raids, and can do so many more (especially the Event ones) with friends, I don't want to. The DLC is coming, I have no interest.

The game just didn't do anything for me. It is what it is.

Definitely looking forward to Legends 2 though.
Maybe the problem was precisely having played Legends not long before. Burn out is a thing even when you do enjoy something

Interesting perspective though!

Legends was way better with catching pokemon, like waaaay better.
But it's battle system sucked.

I liked violet a lot overall. Probably my favourite since Diamond (don't judge me)

Now that the DLC has been out for a while, has your opinion changed?

my-image4.png

Recency bias? Never!

Can you TELL I dislike Gen 3?

But not as much as I dislike Gen 7!

The technical issues didn’t bother me so for me it’s one of the best. Enjoyed playing with my friends in the open world was a ton of fun. Up there as one of my favorite Pokémon experiences.

how in the world do you people post your downloaded images all nice and without these terrible borders?!

anyway... here's my list. anyone with taste knows that B2/W2 are the ultimate games. i will take zero dissension!

the DS era was truly peak times. X/Y were exciting before they released but felt so soulless while playing them. passed on all the switch games until S/V and i can say that i can see a good game hiding somewhere in there and i enjoyed some of my time with it, but don't ever feel the need to go back to it. hence also why i'm not super interested in the DLC.

I’ll rank the story, characters, music, and new Pokémon designs quite high. Everything else falls under “not good enough”.

These are also the only ones where I haven’t bothered to play the second version/dlc, so I think that says a lot for where I’m at with the series. (Well actually I never played black and white 2, but that’s more due to circumstance rather than lack of interest)

I only have the final area of SV to do but since there's no soul in the world and the only thing redeeming it from being outright bad is the main story beats having some of my favorite fights in the entire franchise (making me wish the whole game has as much good design as those fights...), I think this is good enough for my rankings: likely spicy for folk here but w/e, I enjoy the gameplay loop of the ones on the top + their bonus content even if that ends up being wifi or local MP memories and stuff like ORAS being so dumbed down i could beat it blindfolded, USUM being copypasta of SM with nothing improved (Some stuff worse), and Crystal not changing any of the gym leaders/main plot beats in any major ways like yellow did led this to being my list.

SV needed an actually good world to connect the fun objectives together instead of grass grass mountains ice grass grass. It needed towns, multi-layered dungeons, memorable lakes, towers, caverns, anything besides just... pokemon. Can only really think of the cave near the psychic gym, the one where you meet the legend and the cool bridge near the dragon titan as anything remotely close to good design.

eLO1RMZ.png

Oh yeah i never posted an update or my thoughts after beating the game

Well uh, yeah that final area was great and it should have been how the whole game was designed. Paldea is stupidly generic and boring and they should have gone with a classic linear style that was just super polished. I hear the DLC areas are better and parts of DLC2 make me wanna rebuy it again (I sold my copy on pokemon day when the patch didnt fix performance and traded it in for Tetris Battle Gaiden instead) but since certain story battles were amazing and the E4 is one of my favorite in the series I think I'd bump it from it's spot in my old image to right above FRLG... Since even SV being uninspired as sin is better than having to deal with a door of dots thrown up at you and being forced to translate it in order to unlock trading with the other gen 3 games (which took me 3 years to do thanks to no internet and my rough living situation as a whole back then making socializing not a viable thing).

Fuck the Sevii Islands, at least Paldea doesn't have Braile

Here we go...

• Violet - Graphics flaws aside, I think the Paldea games are peak Pokemon. Open-world fits the franchise a lot. There's something magical about traversing in a world with Pokemon freely walking in it
  • Sword - I don't get the hate the Galar games get. They're not fully open-world games, but they're much more than "HD Alola games". I really like the Wild Area and how you have to return to it because of the different weathers and layers of Pokemon levels you need to clear with badges
  • Black 2 - peak sprite Pokemon era
  • HeartGold - the best remake in the history of remakes
  • Platinum - tied right there with Emerald with the best third version game
  • Emerald - the best Pokemon third version I have ever played. I remember discovering Rayquaza in the Sky Tower back in Ruby, and fucking of course I got Emerald!
  • Crystal - nice third version
  • Silver - I really love the Johto games and have always liked Lugia

I was talking about this with my Pokemon buddy I met in seventh grade. And we said that Scarlet and Violet made us feel like we were on an Pokemon adventure for the first time since Red, Blue and Yellow.

Best Pokemon game, imo.

Glad gen 5 is getting a lot of love, very underrated when they released. Also, I'm probably the only person who actually likes legends combat lol. I like when the games strive to be more about the "adventure" and try to have a more mature story then anything else (which is probably why gen 5 and 2 and legends are my favorite games in the franchise). Scarlet and violet did do a good job of that with its open world freedom, but the awful performance and the fact that pla had come out earlier (the action elements should be in the mainline games imo they just make the game much more fun) ended up making them somewhat disappointing to me.

FVg8tnM.png

Been about half a year, so I thought it'd be fun to go back and revise my tier list a bit based on how I feel about the game several months later with less recency bias, and also evened out the tiers a little more based on some recent replays. Games are only roughly ordered within their tiers. Used the GameCube games as well like some people have.

Still haven't played the Sword/Shield DLC because I actively disliked the base game, so I wasn't wanting to spend another $30 on it.
Returning to this, and... Opinion is pretty much the same. Including the DLC would probably lower my ranking of the game to below S/M because it really did not feel worth an additional $35.

I was talking about this with my Pokemon buddy I met in seventh grade. And we said that Scarlet and Violet made us feel like we were on an Pokemon adventure for the first time since Red, Blue and Yellow.

Best Pokemon game, imo.
Although I felt this with Violet, I felt it more with Legends. But I concur

6JsUayD.png

Pokemon's one of my favourite series so I'm pretty top heavy. I've arranged them within the tiers in order too.

S are some of my favourite games ever, Arceus blew me away and B2W2 are just incredible. A are fantastic, B are great. C are "eh, wouldn't go back to them as is" and D are horrid ones I won't touch again unless they get remakes with significant changes.

Two reasons (at least for me):
1. Nostalgia
2. All the extra content is cool, but it makes the story itself, and therefore the game, less immersive. I don't really like the concept of Primal Reversion, which makes Groudon and Kyogre standard forms less mythical, I can't believe that Latios or Latias are suddenly my friend, and I don't need fan service like catching legendary Pokémons from other regions. Delta Episode is great tho.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed ORAS a lot, and I was super excited when they were announced. But I love the og games a bit more.

BDSP are peak Pokémon and the only reason people put them low are graphics and "boohoo they didn't put Platinum content".
Sorry but it's the truth.

Pokémon Violet is so dang close to being one of my favorite games but the things it does poorly makes an incredibly frustrating experience for me.

Within the context of pokemon its one of the best with probably the weakest parts being the technical issues and forgettable region. Within the context of switch games its pretty low with how far behind gamefreak feels compared to the other first/second party developers.

Back
Top Bottom