• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club How do you rank Scarlet and Violet?

Aleh

«Last Hope»
Pronouns
He/Him
It's been long enough, everyone. It is time to whip out your tier lists and show everyone how you rank the newest Pokémon games 👀

PERSONALLY, they're definitely top tier right now. Not sure if I'll feel this way forever, especially after gen 10 comes out, but they feel right at home with my two other favorites for now, HGSS and SM/USUM.
A tier is what I'd consider objectively amazing games, but that don't trigger the same serotonin release in my brain.
B tier is also great, but they suffer a bit from being outdated mechanically
C tier is where they start to be more hit or miss for different reasons, but still fun in their own way.
D tier is basically reserved for games I have no reason to ever replay considering there are much better alternatives. I can't stand non-Platinum Sinnoh anymore and FRLG are some of the blandest games in the series, although I wouldn't say I hate them either.

IMG_2663.png

Let's have fun and I hope to see BDSP at the bottom of everyone's list too lol

Last edited:
my-image_3.png

To me the hardest games to rank on this list are Gold/Silver vs HeartGold/SoulSilver. If I'm being honest, HGSS are likely the better games. I just find the issues in HGSS so much more frustrating, since the game basically just repeated all the same issues Gold/Silver had and attempted to fix very few of them, and I've always found that extremely maddening when playing those games.

Not really much more to note here. I actually played Yellow and Platinum for the first time within the past 5 years and was shocked at how good they were! Instantly became my new favorite games in the series. I never really played the "third version" games growing up, because money is finite and my brothers and I already had the original games. Emerald's the only one I played and it was so long ago that I'm not going to bother ranking it (and the Pokemon League Champion change is a crime against humanity).

You could rename these tiers with S being 9-10, A being 8-9, B being 7-8, C being 6-7, and D being <6 and it'd actually match up pretty well with how I'd score the games.

Edit: I'll add some thoughts specific to Scarlet/Violet since it's in the name of the thread lol. I think the games were solid. They're overall the best post-Gen 5 games that I've played, so I think things for the series are moving in the right direction. There are a number of things I personally would like to see improved though. I think the biggest thing is likely just an open world design that encourages and rewards exploration is the biggest thing. I spent the first half of the game scouring the terrain just out of force of habit and it's the way I tend to play games, and after just not really being rewarded for it to any real extent I gave up on it and started blitzing through the ~gyms. The "open world fatigue" I felt playing the game is not unlike the type I tend to feel, playing other open world games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Sleeping Dogs, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. The way the game divides up wild Pokemon encounters is a massive improvement over Sword/Shield, but I think there's still a ton of untapped potential in this area in particular, and can simultaneous make the ecosystem feel far more alive while also rewarding players for exploring by dividing up these encounters even further and maybe hiding a few of the rare ones here and there in some cool locations.

Last edited:
Can't use TierMaker at the moment, but to me Scarlet and Violet rank like this:

S
  • Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
  • Legends: Arceus
  • Scarlet, Violet

A
  • Crystal
  • HeartGold, SoulSilver

B
  • Gold, Silver
  • FireRed, LeafGreen
  • Platinum
  • Black, White, Black 2, White 2
  • OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire

C
  • Red, Blue, Yellow
  • Diamond, Pearl
  • X, Y
  • Sword, Shield

D
  • Sun, Moon
  • Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon

Can't use TierMaker at the moment, but to me Scarlet and Violet rank like this:

S
  • Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald
  • Scarlet, Violet

A
  • Crystal
  • HeartGold, SoulSilver

B
  • Gold, Silver
  • FireRed, LeafGreen
  • Platinum
  • Black, White, Black 2, White 2
  • OmegaRuby, AlphaSapphire

C
  • Red, Blue, Yellow
  • Diamond, Pearl
  • X, Y
  • Sword, Shield

D
  • Sun, Moon
  • Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon
Sun and Moon’s placement breaks my heart

Here's mine:

my-image.png

To be honest, BW and ORAS are very dear to me and I think of them as very complete, fun experiences throughout. The latest Switch games are going in a good (albeit different) direction too, but for me they are not quite as good as a whole experience as those were. On the other hand, SWSH would have been Z tier if it could. I didn't even play the DLCs as, by the time those came out, I had already given away my game to a friend. I hated it.

It makes me sad to compare ORAS to BDSP. If only we had decent Sinnoh remakes...

Anyway, I sorted them following this system:
S - Excellent, remember them dearly to this day
A - Very good, I have good memories of playing them, enjoyed them a lot
B - Good, enjoyed them
C - Indifferent [although I was either very little when I played them or I played them many years after launch, tbf]
D - I felt insulted by these releases and I would burn the cartridges if I could

Scarlet and Violet feel so extremely incomplete even outside of the awful technical issues. There is just... nothing. Absolutely nothing going on in any of these towns, no side activities of any kind to do anywhere outside of... making sandwiches. Despite going open world it is in many ways the least like a world Pokemon has ever felt and that brings it down huge for me despite having one of the stronger main campaigns of the whole series.

Anyway here's my rank:
my-image.png

Scarlet and violet are the best pokemon in the last 15 years if you dont see the technical issues. And the region is based in my country so that gives extra points

hi26mYP.png

Sinnoh is my favorite region so even its weaker versions I still think of fondly. Overall, I really liked SV, and it's a big improvement for the Switch era games (still working on Arceus so I didn't rank it) but there's definitely issues that would have be addressed in future games, like lack of dungeons, empty/dead towns, and poorly implemented Gym Leaders. It may be a B game, but GameFreak gets an A for effort.

Hoenn would be in the S tier if they made a game that combines the best parts of RSE and ORAS, but I feel like it just doesn't quite cut it otherwise.

I only have the final area of SV to do but since there's no soul in the world and the only thing redeeming it from being outright bad is the main story beats having some of my favorite fights in the entire franchise (making me wish the whole game has as much good design as those fights...), I think this is good enough for my rankings: likely spicy for folk here but w/e, I enjoy the gameplay loop of the ones on the top + their bonus content even if that ends up being wifi or local MP memories and stuff like ORAS being so dumbed down i could beat it blindfolded, USUM being copypasta of SM with nothing improved (Some stuff worse), and Crystal not changing any of the gym leaders/main plot beats in any major ways like yellow did led this to being my list.

SV needed an actually good world to connect the fun objectives together instead of grass grass mountains ice grass grass. It needed towns, multi-layered dungeons, memorable lakes, towers, caverns, anything besides just... pokemon. Can only really think of the cave near the psychic gym, the one where you meet the legend and the cool bridge near the dragon titan as anything remotely close to good design.

eLO1RMZ.png

Can't use the tiermaker right now, but I would put S/V and Legends Arceus at C tier. I don't think either game were able to craft truly good open environments, and in Scarlet's case, its biggest strengths (story, new Pokemon, soundtrack) are all things that would have been present in a linear game.

It's definitely Top 5 for me. I like Gold/Silver and those remakes better, and I like Arceus better. Red/Blue and their remakes might be ahead due to nostalgia. After that, though, Scarlet/Violet is right up there. It's a great game despite its warts.

my-image-2.png

Basically every Pokemon game is a baseline level of fun, so even low-ranked games I enjoyed a certain amount. That initial run of Switch games was rough, but thankfully they've significantly improved over the last few.

The most unpredictable placements seem to be DP/BDSP and also ORAS and SM/USUM. People either love them or hate them

My recommendation: Famiboards should do monthly community tier lists. Make it so only people with accounts can see the link and give people a month and make their own, at the end we can show the community rankings as the "official" Famiboards tier list for that topic.

Anyway here's my Pokémon games tier list
IMUKs5M.png

My recommendation: Famiboards should do monthly community tier lists. Make it so only people with accounts can see the link and give people a month and make their own, at the end we can show the community rankings as the "official" Famiboards tier list for that topic.
I like this idea a lot personally

Only included 3rd versions since there’s no real point to go back to Diamond/Pearl for example when you have Platinum. BW2 is an exception as it’s different enough and I didn’t include USUM as I haven’t finished it.

S tier is stacked because I think those games are all packed to the brim with content and deserve the top spot.

Scarlet/Violet is B tier but if the DLC adds a lot of post game content then it could easily soar to A tier, maybe even S tier.

Even the games I have ranked low at C tier I still enjoy. Pokemon is probably my favorite franchise ever up there with the Zelda.

7703-B9-FE-AE9-A-4-CBE-8-AC3-663-C07274-CB7.png

Anyway here's my Pokémon games tier list
IMUKs5M.png
I really like that idea, but also, why Ruby over Emerald?

I really like that idea, but also, why Ruby over Emerald?
They're both really good but I generally prefer the originals to the third versions except in cases like Platinum where the original versions are very difficult to play in comparison.

Enjoy pretty much every Pokemon game to varying degrees. D doesn't hold up well and wouldn't play again. Anything below D I just outright hated.
b4AhpMQ.png

Even the games I have ranked low at C tier I still enjoy. Pokemon is probably my favorite franchise ever up there with the Zelda.
Yeah, that's basically how I feel. If a game is in the D tier there's something seriously wrong because even an just "okay" Pokemon game can give me a lot of enjoyment. But the especially great Pokemon games, the S-tier, are probably in my top 15-20 all time favorite games list.

They are definitely the best of the 3D era. Not that that was hard though, their main competition was from the same year. But they are legitimately very good, for all their flaws. And area 0 is the best sequence in the entire franchise

I haven't really played enough pokemon games to make a more complete ranking, but here it goes I guess:

S rank: Legends Arceus
A rank: Scarlet/Violet
B rank: Sun and Moon, Let's go Pikachu/Eevee
C rank: Sword and Shield
D rank: Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl

I'm also playing the japanese version of Pokemon Black just to brush up on my japanese, so I'm playing it but taking my sweet time.

A solid new roster, a better than average story, a more sober and balanced gimmick.

Disastrous on the technical side, terrible and inconsistent artstyle, below average OST.

By the 3D Pokémon games standards, it's pretty good.

VkzpwDe.png

Think SM/USUM would probably be a high 9 on a replay, but currently this is how I feel.

Just finished Area Zero with that awful walking and barely any new pokemon. What a mindnumbing gaming experience. Somewhat disappointed by the game as a whole.

I actually agree with Twilight's tierlist above mostly but would have SoulSilver higher.

Last edited:
It's probably my favorite Pokemon game outside of Gold/Silver. I thought I had Arceus above it, but I went back to it for a bit and I think Scarlet/Violet are less polished, but better overall. Bear in mind that I was not into Pokemon for quite a while, so I haven't played things like Sun/Moon or the Black/White games. Off of the top of my head, I guess I would go...

1. Gold/Silver
2. Scarlet/Violet
3. Arceus
4. Red/Blue
5. Sword/Shield
6. X/Y
7. Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
8. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
9. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

My personal rankings below. I know I’m not with the majority on many of these, but I can’t help what I do and don’t enjoy
8SgnM79_d.webp

I can’t be bothered to rank the few I’ve played (all the Switch ones), but Scarlet is my favourite one so far.

I don't find slow and easy dungeons composed out of repeated tilesets fun, nor do I think the appeal of Pokemon is going back to Route 1 to use Cut on a Tree to find a Hidden PP Up, so despite the open world being lacking, SV is up there in my rankings. Still a lot of problems, many of them technicals, some of them simply flat out bad choices (the online enviroment is such a downgrade from how fun they were in SwSh, and SwSh had it's own flaws on that note too so it's absurd it went further down), but it has the best world tranversal of the series, the first time I truly enjoyed on every level a Pokemon's game story and all of this is in a base game that did not yet get DLC/Third version to infuse it with more fun, so I think I can safely give it a "S rank", something it would share with HGSS and USUM in my book.
Hell I actualy died multiple times to major trainers in the story. The last time that happened I was a kid playing GS.

Have not played as many Pokemon games as most people but:

Legends > Violet > USUM > Y > LG Eevee > the Switch mystery dungeon game >>>>>>>>> BDSP (Sold it in a few days).

5 tiers were too many for me, all of these games are good, but my bar of quality is quite high

S: BW2, Arceus, BW1, HGSS

A: LGPE, Plat, Emerald, SV

B: RS, FRLG, USUM, Crystal, SM, GS, Yellow, XY, SwSh + DLC, RGB

C: ORAS, BDSP, SwSh, DP

That sounds fun!
As for my list:

pokemongametier.png

(Technically I haven't played both versions of most of the "two versions" games, like how I played Sapphire but not Ruby, but I'll list both games of those
with the one I played first)

Some notes:
  • For all its flaws, I really enjoyed Violet - just hoping the next main series game gets more time for development!
  • Crystal was my first game (Pokemon and otherwise) and will always hold a special place in my heart, but man is it rough to go back to today (as I found out when playing Vietcrystal)
  • While I appreciate the first games for starting the series and all, I just couldn't get into them when I first played them generations later and just felt they were overall underwhelming. My favorite part of Blue was the glitches (which isn't the backhanded compliment it may sound like, I love funny game glitches - but even that isn't enough to make me like the games more as a whole) bring back Missingno pls
  • I regret never getting Platinum tbh :/ always wanted to experience the Distortion World

Last edited:
I'm still booting up Scarlet to do a few Ranked battles every day. I haven't been this engaged in a mainline Pokemon game since gen 6.

Imagine not lauding Pokemon Legends Arceus as the magnum opus of the 3D era that it is
SV is much better, Legends teased tons of cool things that you just expect it to actually do something with and then… it doesn’t. Like how is ARCEUS so irrelevant in its own game?! 😭

LpJDwPT.png

Probably something like this. They're more interesting conceptually than most games in the series despite their shoddy technical execution and they've yet to be made redundant by better takes on the formula. I suspect they're going to drop in my ranking if Game Freak iterates on their design.

This is where I stand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom