• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How’s the second half of the year looking for you?

Not great, was laid off from a company I've worked with for over two years, the industry is shit right now for software developers at least where I am, and I've been without work for over two weeks now. Feeling pretty depressed
As a professional musician during the covid era, I really feel for you. Same thing happened in 2020 for me, and it sucked. I was out of work for 6 months.

Then after that, I got a private teaching job, and have been doing really great. Things will get better :).

Really, now is the time to work on some passion projects you had, you would be surprised how they can lead to your next opportunity. Or at least help.

Gaming wise: nothing really excited me tbh. Tears of the Kingdom has me spoiled, so I guess I am just waiting to see what Nintendo has in store. I might check out starfield on gamepass

Definitely:
Trails into Reverie
Persona 5 Tactica

Maybe:
Pikmin 4
Starfield
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails

Not a huge amount right now, but I’ve still got some games from earlier in the year that I need to play. Also, like the rest of you probably, I’m still waiting to see what Nintendo announces for the rest of the year.

Honestly, the rest of the year is looking pretty dire. I will likely get Phantom Liberty and am interested in Alan Wake 2 but that's about it.

Last edited:
I’ll most likely get Sonic Superstars unless reviews are particularly bad. Other than that I can’t think of anything I’m day 1 on, so the rest of the year will be playing my backlog, waiting for wishlist stuff to go on sale, and slowly playing more of TOTK (I got like 20 Shrines and 50 Lightroots left plus various sidequests and bosses I want to attempt)
Nevermind I just saw Armored Core footage and it looks sick as hell, probably day 1 for me

Just Pikmim 4 for me and the console port of System Shock, but luckily TOTK is taking me a long time to get through, I’m over a 150 hours in and have done two ‘Dungeons’ and 100 shrines, so I imagine I won’t be finished till Pikmin 4 comes out.

I also have xenoblade 3 dlc and Jedi to play as I knew there would be no point starting them so close to Zelda releasing. I also need to play Advance wars 2 on reboot camp, and I need to
Play Dead Space and fatal frame 4 when the nights start getting longer again.

I’m also fiending a traditional Zelda game, so I’m going to replay Phantom hourglass on my Wii U as I think it might be the only Zelda game I’ve only finished once.

Thank god for amazing first half of this year!

Oh and the Mario Kart DLC as I’ve only played the first wave and vowed to wait until it was all released so it’ll be like having a brand new game.

Lotta Pikmin 4 love! Not unexpected but still nice to see. I need to look into it still. I love Pikmin but I will admit that controlling three people at a time in the last game was too confusing for me! Shout out to Disney Illusion Island too, I won’t be picking it up right away sadly but it looks awesome.

Not great, was laid off from a company I've worked with for over two years, the industry is shit right now for software developers at least where I am, and I've been without work for over two weeks now. Feeling pretty depressed
I am very sorry to hear that. I bet things will be looking up soon; hang in there! And even though it probably feels impossible I hope you are finding some time to unwind as well.

This is ridiculous but I’m being 100% sincere: sometimes the theme song from Paperboy kind of cheers me up

Man that would make a good sample!

Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you, bellydrum.

As far as new releases in H2 2023 go, just Pikmin 4 and Like a Dragon Gaiden for me.

I'll also pick up Diablo 4, Street Fighter 6 and AFL23 at some point this year too

I don't think I'll be getting any more new releases for a while. After I finish Zelda and Octopath Traveler II, I'll probably be spending the rest of the year catching up with NSO and other little things on sale.

Starfield, Forza, Spider-Man 2

those are the big ones. they’ll be smaller games that I’m not thinking of now I’m sure. and hopefully i’ll be able to get back to TotK at some point later this year too.

By the time I exhaust Zelda, ideally, Armored Core 6 will be here. Armored Core 6 might be the only game that may actually challenge Zelda for being my GOTY. I can't WAIT for it.

Like a Dragon Gaiden, Spider-Man 2 and Sonic Superstars will likely be the main things I'll be waiting on, barring Nintendo and/or Capcom jumping out with another surprise.

I only have games preordered through August right now as I’m watching my spending. Currently it’s Trails Into Reverie, Atelier Marie Remake, and Pikmin 4 in July. For August it’s Rhapsody 2&3, Armored Core VI, and Sea of Stars.

Looks like a gnarly holiday ahead. Certainly picking up The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2, and Like A Dragon Gaiden. Probably picking up Starfield and Disgaea 7 at least too. I think there’s roughly 20 games I’m looking at in these last four months provided nothing gets delayed and that’s before Nintendo has announced anything. Going to have to choose carefully.

Of things officially announced... just Persona 5 Tactica for the Switch. Maybe I'll talk myself into getting Assassin's Creed Mirage for my Series S, because I usually like getting one game every September/October/November, but I dunno.

Baten Kaitos and project Raincode at some point. Maybe pikmin. Over all just a big question mark tho

With how little we know of Nintendo's lineup right now, this topic is how you can tell who is and isn't a Switch only player lol.

FF16, Pikmin 4, and Spider-man are the main ones I'm looking forward too at the moment. Others will surely sneak in as well.

Not much for me in the second half. Pikmin 4, Spider-Man, Persona 5 Tactica, and Yakuza Gaiden is about it. Maybe I'll try Armored Core.

I'll still be busy playing games from the first half, though, so I can't complain too much.

Tons of games this summer, but post-Starfield the only one I can think of is Persona 5 Tactica. The holiday season is pretty open for me right now. (I'm not a Forza, Alan Wake, or Spider-Man guy)

Death Mark 2
Baten Kaitos
Master Detective archives: Rain Code
Suikoden
Pikmin 4
Spiderman 2
Robocop

More once the direct happens

That sucks. I understand how you feel. I work in live theatre/music. When COVID hit it completely decimated the industry and I ended up out of work for almost 2 years. I was extremely depressed and nearly drank myself to death (like ended up in the hospital, had to go to rehab, still struggle with it to this day type of thing) Things have finally picked up in the industry and I am working steadily now. Don’t give up hope. Things will get better.
Wow, thanks for the encouragement. If you can get through that then I can definitely get through this. Glad to hear things are picking up for you.

To actually answer the thread, I think I'll be playing and experimenting with Ultrahand for a while. The engineering potential is still being uncovered and there's a whole world of inventions out there.

At some point I'll finish Fire Emblem Engage and Octopath 2.

As of now, Pikmin 4 is the only game in the future I'm looking forward to, period. But I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

After Zelda I will be done with games for a while. I had the same thing after Mario Galaxy 2 back in the day – I stopped gaming entirely for 4 years, since I felt there was nothing going to top that experience anyway. I feel the same with TotK.

With how little we know of Nintendo's lineup right now, this topic is how you can tell who is and isn't a Switch only player lol.

FF16, Pikmin 4, and Spider-man are the main ones I'm looking forward too at the moment. Others will surely sneak in as well.
Eh, I’m a switch-only player and play third party stuff and indies more than the first party stuff. There’s still half a dozen games coming out this year I’m looking forward to, they just aren’t big, boxed ones by massive studios. My rpg backlog alone is also big enough to tide me over for years, let alone my wishlist on the eshop.

There's surprisingly a lot that I'm looking forward to. From the top of my head:
Pikmin 4
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
Alan Wake II
Sea of Stars
Baten Kaitos I + II HD Remaster
Starfield
R-Type Tactics I + II Cosmos
Sonic Superstars

Add to that the DLC for Splatoon 3, Elden Ring and potentially Tears of the Kingdom. Though I am pretty sure that I will most likely not get around to playing all of them considering my backlog.

Final Fantasy, Pikmin 4, Armored Core, Alan Wake II, Starfield, Baldur's Gate 3 (big one for me), Sea of Stars, Baten Kaitos, Spiderman 2.

Probably the best year in gaming for me in a very long time, won't be able to play or afford all of it but damn it'll keep my backlong fueled for a while.

There's surprisingly a lot that I'm looking forward to. From the top of my head:
Pikmin 4
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
Alan Wake II
Sea of Stars
Baten Kaitos I + II HD Remaster
Starfield
R-Type Tactics I + II Cosmos
Sonic Superstars

Add to that the DLC for Splatoon 3, Elden Ring and potentially Tears of the Kingdom. Though I am pretty sure that I will most likely not get around to playing all of them considering my backlog.
I keep forgetting about R-Type Tactics but I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a fun take on a strategy game, I played the first one on PSP and am looking forward to finally playing the sequel

Final Fantasy XVI (if I somehow manage to lend a PS5)
Pikmin 4
Jusant
Cities Skylines 2 (my new forever game)

Man, maybe I can finally properly get to Advance Wars after having been stolen away by Xenoblade and Zelda.

My backlog after Zelda is already pretty full. I need to finish Live A Live, and I have Diablo 4, Octopath 2, and several other games waiting in the wings. I'm not sure I'll be buying anything else until holiday sales start up, with the exception of BK1+2 simply because I want to support the release, and it's probably going to be a limited physical release.

There's definitely plenty of other games I'm interested in, but nothing I feel compelled to buy at launch vs getting through my backlog. Only caveat will be whatever Nintendo has planned for the 2nd half of 2023, but I doubt there will be anything I need to run out and get vs just waiting for the holidays/holiday sales.

After TOTK I might finally, after one year of having a friend nag me to do so, play Elden Ring. I hated dark souls but I will try elden ring just because it's an open world game and I like those.

Even before TOTK I had stopped playing genshin since late last year (I know, my photo is misleading), but I might get into Honkai Star Rail.

Starfield sounds intriguing but I don't know if the game is of my liking, I've never played a non-ID soft bethesda game before (nor skyrim nor fallout) but I'll see.

I still need to finish P4 golden, FF7 Remake and clear my backlog (which includes games like Horizon Zero dawn, OMORI, and the Witcher 3) so even if Nintendo announces literally nothing I won't be short of games to play.

Too many games for sure, can’t even list them all but this year is one of the best gaming years I’ve had in a while. Always something great or interesting coming out each month. Sometimes multiple times a month.

Currently empty in terms of new releases - I pretty much only play Switch these days since my gaming time is very limited with two kids. I have lots to catch up on though, and I’m sure more will be announced.

Only sure thing for me right now is Pikmin 4.

Kind of interested in Starfield but don't have an Xbox nor gaming PC to play it on. If the game reviews well I might get an Series X and check it out. Could get Game Pass and play some exclusive games I missed out on for skipping Xbox last gen.

P5T could be for me, we'll see. Seems suitable for playing on Switch in bed. Should probably finish P5R first, though...

it's got pikmin 4 in it. that's a once in a decade event! so it's looking great by default

but truthfully... the entire industry could never release another video game again and I'd probably be perfectly content with the amount of games I have access to in the room I'm currently sitting in for the next decade or so that society will still exist, let alone the next six months!!

it's got pikmin 4 in it. that's a once in a decade event! so it's looking great by default

but truthfully... the entire industry could never release another video game again and I'd probably be perfectly content with the amount of games I have access to in the room I'm currently sitting in for the next decade or so that society will still exist, let alone the next six months!!
Yeah I personally don't mind when there aren't a lot of games on the horizon left because there are so many old games to experience, not even just things in my backlog, games I might stumble upon or see on sale and buy and such. Lots of my favorite games I discovered years and years after release.

Pikmin 4
100% TOTK
Sea of Stars
Eiyuden Chronicles (not sure if it's this year)
Starfield

I've had an itch to play through Cyberpunk but with TOTK, Starfield and having already played through Elden Ring earlier this year i think that's already too much for big open world games.

I started OT II a few months ago but it's been on hold and i know it's gonna be hard to get back to it for me because i find it hard to get back into JRPG that have been on hold for a while even if the game is very good.

FF XVI is a maybe... gotta justify that PS5 purchase somehow if anything but i'm not really interested in the game itself unfortunately.

Armored Core but i probably won't play it this year, will buy day 1 to support the series though.

I will likely buy nothing Day 1, so depends on when the sales start for certain games. I bet FF16 will have somewhat of a sale by then, so probably that and then the backlog

I own Switch & PS5. Pikmin 4 is the only game I am interested.
I try the FF16 demo and it doesn't work out for me. The combat, the graphics & the "mini dungeon" is not what I enjoy.
I think the pacing is also an issue. Walk a couple steps and then cutscene again & again in the first chapter is NOT clip.
May pick up a Series X or a PC if Starfield reviews good.

Probably won't play all of them but these are ones I have my eye on:

Pikmin 4
Spiderman 2
Cocoon
Armored Core VI FOR
Alan Wake 2
Mortal Kombat 1
Mina the Hollower
Blasphemous 2
Alone in the Dark
Gunbrella
The Plucky Squire
The Talos Principal 2
Sonic Superstars
Crowsworn
Jusant

And from the first half of the year I still have to play Dead Space Remake, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Amnesia The Bunker, Hi-Fi Rush, Bramble The Mountain King, and probably some more I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
Lots of backlog

Still busy with Tears of the Kingdom

Like a Dragon Ishin!
Lost Judgement 2
Persona 3 Portable
Ni No Kuni 2 Prince Edition
Pokémon Snap
Persona 4 Golden
Soul Hackers

Playing for sure:
  • Armored Core VI
  • Starfield
  • Diablo IV, because the grind never stops

Checking out, since they are on Game Pass anyway:
  • Exoprimal
  • Sea of Stars
  • Persona 5 Tactica

Sonic Superstars
Like a Dragon Gaiden
Sea of Stars
Persona 5 Tactica
Eiyuden Chronicles
Starfield

All for xbox?

The two big ones for me are Starfield and the Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077. There's a handful of others like Alan Wake II, Armored Core VI, Bomb Rush Cyberpunk, Like a Dragon Gaiden, and Avatar but they'll be put in the backlog I'm sure.

Starfield is going to consume my life if my time spent with Skyrim and Fallout 4 are anything to go by, and once Phantom Liberty and the 1.7 patch drop I plan on starting over in Cyberpunk. The changes sound immense.

It's pretty dire honestly, Pikmin 4 is interesting, but can't say I'll jump on it straight away due to my backlog and Zelda. Baten Kaitos Origins is ironically enough one of the games in said backlog, so I'll just grab the Switch version and play that one instead of the GameCube version for the QOL improvements. Can't say there's must else that interests me for the second half of the years so far. Rain Code looks interesting, but not something I'll blindly pick up.

At this stage, I still think I’ll be playing Zelda by the time Pikmin 4 hits, will be interesting to see if that will pull me away.

I’ve got Pokémon Violet to finish my living home dex, and I want to play Xenoblade 3 DLC, so will imagine I’m probably covered until late September.

Then it will depend on what Nintendo announce either side of Sonic Superstars. I usually have a rough idea of where I’m going but I really don’t at this stage.

I’m pretty sure that this year will have the fewest amount of games I’ve beaten but probably the longest play time since I started recording my annual list ( 2014)

Back
Top Bottom