• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion How’s the second half of the year looking for you?

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
We are damn near the second half of 2023. The big summer game events* are wrapped. How is the rest of the year looking for you? What games are you pretty well certain you’ll pick up at or around launch?

EDIT: Well, looks like my lineup has almost totally changed in the wake of that Direct lmao. The must haves for me are now:
09/06 — Starfield
10/20 — Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11/02 — Star Ocean: Second Story R
11/17 — Super Mario RPG Remake

Last edited:
Currently: Pikmin 4, Sea of Stars, TotK & backlog I think. Maybe Cities Skylines 2?

Check back in with me in a week or so

Last edited:
On july I'm getting Pikmin 4 for sure. Disney's Illusion Island and Double Dragon Gaiden look interesting but I'll wait for reviews. And on august... Sea of Stars and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. Beyond that, not much honestly.

I don't think there are many more day 1 releases for me this year - maybe Persona 5 Tactica, and maybe Sea of Stars if I get the fomo or there's a release week discount, and probably World of Horror for spooky season.

There's a lot of indie stuff and AA stuff that I'm excited to see - Demonschool, Eiyuden, Steamworld - and there will probably be announcements that will be in my wheelhouse, but I'd really like to sit down and play some of the stuff I have half-finished or haven't even started. There's stuff I haven't picked up yet from the past couple of years that I could see myself jumping into if I saw it on sale too. I have tons I'm 'hyped' for that everyone else finished ages ago!

Pikmin 4, Starfield, Mortal Kombat, Spider-Man, Rune Factory 3

Not quite sure what else is releasing
If we count games releasing on June 30 as second half, since i'll actually play them through July and August, then Story of Seasons A Wonderful Life, Ghost Trick, and Master Detective Archives.

Starts with FF and doesn't hold up.

Pikmin 4, Remnant II, Payday 3, Alan Wake 2, maybe Silent Hill 2, Spider-Man 2, Phasmaphobia...I'm sure I'm missing other shit too.

Oh obviously Metroid Prime 4 😏

Starfield will be the big one, but I’ll be picking up Pikmin 4 as well. Aside from that I’ll try to tackle some backlog.

Pikmin 4, Alan Wake 2, backlog, and games that released earlier this year like Hi Fi Rush I've yet to pick up but also want to play sometime this year

• Pikmin 4
  • Jusant
  • Starfield (if it reviews well)
  • Metal Slug Tactics

I guess that'll be it for me! Unless the big Kirby game rumoured for the big holiday slot looks any good.

Day 1 is Pikmin 4 and Starfield

Maybe day 1 is Armored Core VI, Disney Illusion Island, Spider-Man 2, Assassin's Creed: Mirage, and Alan Wake 2

Plenty of stuff on the Black Friday shopping list though!

• Still Gotta get through Zelda.
  • Ghosttrick Detective looks fun
  • Started FF7 Remake on PC
  • Pokemon DLC?
  • I dunno, not like my backlog isn't huge enough :')

Pikmin 4 is the only thing im 100% on getting.
Everything else I’ll wait and see if I want it closer to launch or wait for impressions

Paid for:
Pikmin 4 and Sea of Stars; Baten Kaitos physical is paid for as a keepsake to go in the backlog till 2024 probably
Interested in:
Starfield, Sonic Superstars, Oxenfree 2
Backlog I hope to play this year:
At least one of the first six Final Fantasy games (Pixel Remaster edition)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
The other half of Chained Echoes maybe
Octopath Traveler 2

As usual, time consuming RPGs have clogged up (because I choose to buy them, teehee), so I'm hoping the final few months of the year have shorter games from Nintendo. That's why DK, Mario or Metroid would really come in handy for me.

If I resub to GamePass for Starfield, I'll play stuff like Pentiment and HiFi Rush if the Nintendo front is quiet.

Im considering:

July - Trails into Reverie (PC), Oxenfree II (Switch), Atelier Marie (PS5), Exoprimal (Xbox), Nobunagas Ambition Awakening (Switch), maybe Pikmin 4 if it has a demo that is good

August - Stray Gods (Xbox), Blasphemous 2 (Switch), Armored Core VI (PS5), Samba (Switch), Baldurs Gate 3 (PS5 and PC)

September - Rhapsody (Switch), Monochrome Mobius (PS5), Rune Factory 3 (PC), Starfield (Xbox), Anonymous Code (Switch), Legend of Nayuta (PC), MK1 (PS5 or Xbox), Mineko (Switch if port is good).

October - Disgaea 7 (PS5 or PC), Hot Wheels 2 (Switch), Spiderman 2 (PS5), Cities Skylines 2 (Xbox), Total War Pharoah (PC)

November - Like a Dragon Gaiden (PS5 and PC), Persona 5 Tactica (Xbox)

After I get through TotK, I’ll probably finish up Great Ace Attorney, and start Live A Live, Shinsekai and Into The Breach.

I'll wait for some of the reviews, but if it's looking good I'm absolutely getting the new Fantasy Life day 1.

I think that's all of it so far, though, some other releases sound neat but none are super grabbing me just yet so I'm mostly keeping busy with my backlog (and dev, and work,) instead.

June: Final Fantasy XVI

July: Trails into Reverie (PS5 version), Pikmin 4

August: ???

September: maybe Starfield (PC). I have gamepass on PC so I kinda feel like I have to play it.

October: Spider Man 2

November: Persona 5 Tactica (probably the switch version)

December: ???

There are things I'm interested in that might fit into the undecided slots. Rain Code on Switch comes out June 30th I think, but if I play it, it won't be until later. I have also been thinking about getting into the Yakuza series. If I do that, there will be plenty of moments to work on that between August and the end of the year.

for Switch alone probably

Decapolice
Fantasy Life 2
Rain Code
Ghost Trick
Oxenfree 2
Bomberman
Pikmin 4
Loco Motive
Sea of Stars
Metal Slug Tactics
Baten Kaitos
Suikoden
Disgaea 7
Rift of the Necrodancer
Sonic Superstars
Plucky Squire
Eiyuden Chronicle
Disney Illusion Island
Dordogne
Persona 5 Tactica
Pokémon & Splatoon DLC

I'm afraid to list other platforms

For sure stuff
  • Diablo IV
  • Pikmin 4
  • The Plucky Squire
  • Wildermyth
Maybe
  • Wizard with a Gun
  • Pepper Grinder
  • Steamworld Build
  • Fantasy Life
  • A ton of other indie stuff
Gamepass Stuff that I'll try
  • Sea of Stars
  • Starfield
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Neon White
  • Mineko's Night Market

I'd legitimately welcome Metroid: Zero Mission, Mystical Ninja 64, any other Wario Land titles, and Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters to my second half play list if Nintendo got up off their butt and added that stuff to NSO.

Maybe I'll play the Oracles games. They should launch this year...

Sea of Stars is the only day one for me. If nothing new gets announced, I'll likely just play some stuff off my wishlist that happens to be on sale. Honestly, I would be pretty happy with that outcome, though I do love surprises.

Into The Breach
Run, don't walk to Into The Breach! Or maybe not if you plan on clearing anything else, it's very "one more run, ah shit it's 2am."

Backlog I hope to play this year:
Oh yeah, to be specific about my backlog - I'm tempted by Ys VIII (my first!), I'd like to revisit FFXII with Zodiac Age, I'm working through Yakuza, and I have Octopath II and Xenoblade 3 as well. There's too much stuff!

Pikmin 4

it's looking like a pretty quiet year for me, but that's just fine. I'll probably finish Zelda in the fall and finally play a few games I bounced off like Metroid Prime

I am waffling about whether or not to get a PS5 after I mercy kill my Series X.

If no PS5, then more Zelda, Pikmin, and probably a whooole lotta backlog (and Sea of Stars).

If PS5, then catching up on FFVIIR and Spidey!

There is finally a game coming that looks good enough to suck me into the current gen so I will be getting an Xbox Series X and Starfield. Besides that Alan Wake II. I also might pick up Ghost Trick as I enjoyed the demo. Also is Pokemon DLC coming this year?

Currently: Zelda
July: Zelda
August: Zelda
September: Zelda
October: Zelda
November: Zelda and maybe start Yakuza 5
December: Yakuza 5

Edit:
Gamepass Stuff that I'll try
  • Sea of Stars
  • Starfield
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • Neon White
  • Mineko's Night Market

Neon white is an incredible game

Already pre ordered: Trails Into Reverie, Nayuta Boundless Trails, Final Fantasy 16

Almost assuredly picking up day 1: Super Bomberman R2, Sonic Superstars, Oxenfree 2, Sea of Stars

Still need to buy: Diablo 4

Would like to buy but not sure if I will due to money/time: Story of Seasons A Wonderful Life, Rune Factory 3 Special, Raincode, Atelier Marie Remake, Pikmin 4, 30xx

Gamepass: Starfield, Persona 5 Tactica, any of the above would like to buy that I missed is coming to gp day 1

I'm fully stacked for a long long time, and since I am a filthy consumer I have even more games bought but they're kind of... in the backburner waiting for a chance. And surely there's going to be more games announced in the not too distant future in some kind of event.

Not sure why I bothered with another console tbh, I would be fine with just the PC and my Switch because Stormgate, Diablo 4 and SteamWorld Build are probably the only non Switch games I will buy this year.

Currently playing:
Tears of the Kingdom

Upcoming games for the next half year or so:
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: Remastered
Pikmin 4
Baten Kaitos 1+2 HD
Sea of Stars
Chained Echoes [Physical version]
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
Prince of Persia - The Lost Crown
Tunic [Physical version]
Stormgate (Alpha)
SteamWorld Build
Suikoden 1+2 HD Remastered

Recently released but not yet bought:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (holding out until post Zelda or if announced a physical version)
Diablo 4
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

Backlog:
Trinity Trigger
Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
Death's Door
F.I.S.T Forged in Shadow Torch

So far the day ones are looking like...

Bombrush Cyberfunk (August - Switch and PC)
Starfield (September - Xbox Gamepass PC)
Spiderman 2 (October - PS5)
Sonic Superstars (November? - PC so far)

Other games I'm interested in

Decapolice (Switch)

and I'll STILL be playing Zelda TOTK and Street Fighter 6 lol. Great year of gaming continues!

Ghost Trick, Pikmin 4, Starfield

If these release:
Side Order, Silksong, Plucky Squire

Ps Nintendo please release Metroid: Zero Mission on NSO

Only Pikmin 4 right now.

I'll get Sonic Superstars if it isn't total crap, so fingers crossed.

Switch: Lots of things. I'm not gonna list everything I'm planning to buy so just a list of fall winter stuff I'm hyped about:
Mortal Kombat 1
Baten Kaitos
Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails
Bomberman R2
King of Fighters XIII Global Match
Sonic Superstars
Fantasy Life i
DECAPOLICE
Persona 5 Tactica
Rhapsody Marl Kingdom Chronicles
Suikoden 1&2
Eiyuden Chronicle
Front Mission 2
Fate Samurai Remnant
Megaton Musashi Wired
Disgaea 7
UFO Robot Grendizer
Infinity Strash Adventures of Dai

Playstation 5
Just Spider-man 2.

Xbox SX: I'll try new stuff on Game Pass, that's it.

No set Day 1s for me at the moment (at least ones with release dates). I guess I backed Sea of Stars so I'll be getting that at launch, but not sure if I'll play it immediately yet. Mostly going to be focused on backlog clearing

Will be keeping an eye on a couple indies and may jump into Early Access for stuff like Hades 2 and Hyper Light Breaker. Silksong's an immediate day 1 whenever it actually decides to come out. Plucky Squire is another one I'm interested in

As far as bigger games go, might jump in on Baldurs Gate 3, Pikmin 4, AC6 and Starfield depending on how those games review

Pikmin 4, Armored Core and Starfield for now, may end up rebuying a PS5 later in the year if FF16 and Spider-Man 2 are really good.

Not great, was laid off from a company I've worked with for over two years, the industry is shit right now for software developers at least where I am, and I've been without work for over two weeks now. Feeling pretty depressed

Sorry to hear :(

Hopefully a new opportunity shows up for you asap and the year get better.

Utterly barren. There's nothing for me to look forward to for the rest of the year after Pikmin 4, outside of maybe Sonic Superstars (I have no faith in The Plucky Squire or any of Level 5's titles launching this year).

I'm looking forward to Sonic Superstars and Story of Seasons Wonderful Life, and I still have Fire Emblem Engage and Pokemon Scarlet in the backlog. I've been thinking I might get a PS5 later in the fall as a birthday present to myself lol. If so, I'd probably get Baldur's Gate 3, FFXVI, or Diablo IV for it.

Pikmin 4 is the main 'big' game that I'm interested in but otherwise it's complete indiegeddon: Jusant, Oxenfree II, Viewfinder, Sea of Stars, Minneko's Night Market, The Plucky Squire, Cocoon, Another Crab's Treasure and Station to Station.

Lucky that some of these will be on Game Pass otherwise it'd be a very expensive time.

The biggest thing coming up for me is Starfield.

I've also got Sea of Stars coming from the Kickstarter, but it will probably go straight to my backlog lol.

Other than that there is Spider-Man 2, but I'll probably pick that up next year, unless my wife mainlines the first two games this summer and really wants it at launch.

For recent games, I still need to play God of War Ragnarok, and I do want to check out the Resident Evil 4 Remake too. Oh, and I need to play the Xenoblade 3 DLC.

I'll probably play old Pokemon games instead.

Pikmin 4 and Like a Dragon Gaiden are the only two day one pickups at the moment, but there’s more that I’m interested in for sure. Starfield, Spider Man, Sonic, Rain Code, Ghost Trick, Persona 5 Tactica, and FFXVI all have me very interested. Just don’t have the money or time for everything, and I got plenty of backlog to clear out.

The ones I’ve got my eye on are:

Summer:
Ghost trick
Sea of stars
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Autumn/winter:
The last faith
Mina the Hollower
Eiyuden Chronicle

Mina the Hollower is probably the one I’m looking forward to the most. Really looking forward to seeing info on DQIII 2DHD but there’s no chance it’ll release this year now.

Definites:
Ghost Trick HD (an all timer)
Eiyuden Chronicle (if it's still this year?)
Master Detective Archives: Rain Code
World of Horror
Sonic Superstar
Like a Dragon Gaiden
Anonymous Code
Alan Wake 2 (so excited for this)
and most all fucking Armored Core VI, let's go!

At least later...or may end up getting regardless lol
:
Demonschool
Pikmin 4
Front Mission 2 Remake (unless it got bumped to next year?)
Spider-Man 2 (can wait until next year in all honesty)
Suikoden 1 + 2 HD
Decapolice (when is this coming out?)
FFXVI (can wait for a price drop, too expensive)

Looks cool, will see if I have time/money for:
Sea of Stars
Chained Echoes
Persona 5 Tactica
Baten Kaitos 1 & 2
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (classic era Falcom)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed

Also have others like Wo Long and Dead Space Remake which I am waiting on price drops for before buying. That...might be it(?)

Not great, was laid off from a company I've worked with for over two years, the industry is shit right now for software developers at least where I am, and I've been without work for over two weeks now. Feeling pretty depressed

Sorry to hear that. I've been out for a month and known others who've been out longer, it's a harsh time but I thankfully start a new job next week. I literally would spend entire days on job boards applying for everything I could, one agency told me he had over 180 applicants...this ended up being the role I actually got, so I feel extremely lucky. But goes to show you how quickly things can change for the better, keep your head high, I know it sucks but you'll get through it and who knows the next job might be even better!

Just Spider-Man 2 honestly, and I’m not even getting that at launch.

I’ll play the Pokémon SV DLC this fall and maybe Side Order if it’s out this year. But apart from that it’l looking pretty light for me unless Nintendo bothers to announce games that release after July.

too many, i'm probably forgetting stuff here even with my own memory plus mining other peoples posts to help jog it

stuff I plan on getting day 1:

Trails into Reverie(I burned out on the Cold Steel subseries pretty hard to the point where I never did end up finishing the 4th one and am not sure if I ever will but i'm hopeful that the structure of this being more like Sky 3rd which I loved will hook me on it)

Baldur's Gate 3(haven't been following how the early access is going since I always intended to wait for the full release but Larian and Baldur's Gate are both things i'm interested in so looking forward to this)

Suikoden 1&2(never played these and always kinda wanted to so the remasters are a good opportunity to do so)

other things I have varying levels of interest in, not really in any particular order:

The Lamplighter's League(Harebrained Schemes makes good stuff and i'll definitely get this at some point but it might not be day 1)

Starfield(I don't generally care about Bethesda at all but this does look interesting, very much a wait and see but could see myself getting this)

Armored Core VI(maybe? I like mech stuff but I want to see more and am concerned the bosses might be a bit too bullet hell for my taste)

Sea of Stars(seems interesting)

Eiyuden Chronicles(seems interesting, sorta skeptical at this point that it's releasing this year though)

Persona 5 Tactica(maybe someday? i've yet to play any Persona games but I could see myself being interested in this if I ever got around to playing Persona 5)

Sonic Superstars(eh maybe someday)

Anonymous Code(someday....but in like 2028 or whatever when i've gone through all the previous stuff in the series and feel up to playing it)

Like a Dragon Gaiden(maybe...... I don't really care for the brawler combat to be honest but I plan on getting the Like a Dragon 8 day 1 next year and feel like I should probably play this anyways for the story links)

Baten Kaitos (i'd be hyped for this but stripping out the dubs killed my interest, maybe i'll buy it on sale somewhere down the line once someone figures out how to mod the voices back in and play it on an emulator)

That sucks. I understand how you feel. I work in live theatre/music. When COVID hit it completely decimated the industry and I ended up out of work for almost 2 years. I was extremely depressed and nearly drank myself to death (like ended up in the hospital, had to go to rehab, still struggle with it to this day type of thing) Things have finally picked up in the industry and I am working steadily now. Don’t give up hope. Things will get better.

I’ll most likely get Sonic Superstars unless reviews are particularly bad. Other than that I can’t think of anything I’m day 1 on, so the rest of the year will be playing my backlog, waiting for wishlist stuff to go on sale, and slowly playing more of TOTK (I got like 20 Shrines and 50 Lightroots left plus various sidequests and bosses I want to attempt)

Back
Top Bottom