• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Hideki Kamiya to leave PlatinumGames on October 12th

Kind of baffled why people think Bayonetta will still be a thing going forward.
We think Bayonetta will still be a thing going forward because Hideki Kamiya hasn’t directed a Bayo game ever since Bayo2:
• Bayo2 Director: Yusuke Hashimoto
• Bayo3: Yusuke Miyata
• Bayo Origins: Abebe Tinari

He’s credited as writer in all of the Bayo games, but at the last minute, he’s had a supervisory role, and he himself said it in a blog post:

“But before we get into that, I’m sure many of you are a bit confused about what a game supervisor does. It is quite an important-sounding title, but to put it simply, they supervise the project from a position one-step removed from development. At PlatinumGames, the person who has the final say on what goes into a game, and who is ultimately responsible for how it turns out, is the director.”
- https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/6864

Bayonetta won’t be gone because Kamiya left PG. Yes, there is a higher probability of Bayo going under after Bayo3, but we’ll have to see what the future awaits. Bayo4 could make or break the franchise’s future. It’s already looking a bit bleak, since they “retired” Bayonetta, but they can always pull some shenanigan that brings her back. They have a multiverse of reasons to use

The bigger issue for Bayonetta is that Project GG being a dumpster fire (despite Tencent seemingly giving them a lot of money for that) significantly raises the odds Platinum has to close down.

My assumption for what has happened and will happen is:

1. Tencent, willing to spend money on literally anything, decides to fund Platinum to make a GaaS title
2. Platinum hires hundreds of people to make Project GG
3. Nearly four years pass
4. Platinum finally realizes that Kamiya's idea is terrible and will not come close to generating the revenue they need to keep everyone they hired
5. Platinum tells Kamiya that they're completely changing Project GG
6. Kamiya leaves the company
7. Platinum spends a few more years floundering trying to make Project GG into something that can fund the studio
8. Game never releases, company goes under unless bought by Microsoft or someone else

We think Bayonetta will still be a thing going forward because Hideki Kamiya hasn’t directed a Bayo game ever since Bayo2:
• Bayo2 Director: Yusuke Hashimoto
• Bayo3: Yusuke Miyata
• Bayo Origins: Abebe Tinari

He’s credited as writer in all of the Bayo games, but at the last minute, he’s had a supervisory role, and he himself said it in a blog post:

“But before we get into that, I’m sure many of you are a bit confused about what a game supervisor does. It is quite an important-sounding title, but to put it simply, they supervise the project from a position one-step removed from development. At PlatinumGames, the person who has the final say on what goes into a game, and who is ultimately responsible for how it turns out, is the director.”
- https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/6864

Bayonetta won’t be gone because Kamiya left PG. Yes, there is a higher probability of Bayo going under after Bayo3, but we’ll have to see what the future awaits. Bayo4 could make or break the franchise’s future. It’s already looking a bit bleak, since they “retired” Bayonetta, but they can always pull some shenanigan that brings her back. They have a multiverse of reasons to use
Wasn’t Kamiya the one who always handled the story, though? At least the general outline of it. And it was him specifically who had planned out at least 9 games (in terms of story), right? That’s the main thing I worry about with him gone, unless he’s already shared all of these concepts with others at Platinum and they already have this long term story plan mapped out at the company.

I'd be shocked if Platinum hasn't already started Bayo 4, regardless of what Kamiya's contributed. She's the closest thing the company has to a consistent seller and the closest they have to a mascot/marketable character.

(She's dead and was replaced as the main character)
I don’t believe for a second if we get a Bayo 4 she won’t be a playable character lol

At that point I would say yes, retire the series. But it’s not gonna happen

Even if they planned for that to happen, which I still don’t think they did, the blowback to that potential possibility that the ending of B3 arose would certainly make them reverse course

Even if they do, it was clearly not the plan as of late 2022 to keep going with her and it's not clear how fast they would have been able to change course.
I doubt they would've done Bayo Origins if they didn't want to keep the character around in some capacity. Abandoning their most stable series because of lore seems like it's up there as far as boneheaded decisions they could be making

I doubt they would've done Bayo Origins if they didn't want to keep the character around in some capacity. Abandoning their most stable series because of lore seems like it's up there as far as boneheaded decisions they could be making

Okay, but I'm not saying "Platinum is not going to make more games starring Bayonetta because of lore" but "Platinum clearly did not plan future Bayonetta led games due to how they wrote the lore"

Regardless of when Bayonetta 4 starts/started development, I doubt it gets finished before Project GG kills the company.

Okay, but I'm not saying "Platinum is not going to make more games starring Bayonetta because of lore" but "Platinum clearly did not plan future Bayonetta led games due to how they wrote the lore"

Regardless of when Bayonetta 4 starts/started development, I doubt it gets finished before Project GG kills the company.
Platinum is essentially work for hire at this point. They don't decide if there will be another Bayonetta. Nintendo does. Unless they do something like outright reject making the game, but they wouldn't do that because it's their one consistent source of money. Doug Bowser's wording at TGAs might not have meant anything for a fourth game, but it's indictive of the kind of relation Nintendo has with Platinum now (yes I know this was said after they announced Cereza and the lost Demon):
wy7wan1tly4a1.jpg

What would be the reason to not plan to continue the series, then, and write the lore to say as much? Does Platinum Games believe they're toast themselves?

Are we forgetting how Kamiya had said that people were very much misinterpreting Bayonetta 3’s ending and that, I believe, he pretty much implied that Cereza isn’t going anywhere and that there would be a Bayonetta 4? And even in the game itself things are shown to have been restored to how they were before in the ending, so I’m pretty sure Cereza and Jeanne aren’t dead—plus this is a multiverse we’re dealing with now, so anything’s possible.

But yeah, with Kamiya not around anymore, I do worry about the continuation of the series’ story now, as I stated earlier.

Platinum is essentially work for hire at this point. They don't decide if there will be another Bayonetta. Nintendo does. Unless they do something like outright reject making the game, but they wouldn't do that because it's their one consistent source of money. Doug Bowser's wording at TGAs might not have meant anything for a fourth game, but it's indictive of the kind of relation Nintendo has with Platinum now (yes I know this was said after they announced Cereza and the lost Demon):
wy7wan1tly4a1.jpg

What would be the reason to not plan to continue the series, then, and write the lore to say as much? Does Platinum Games believe they're toast themselves?

I was arguing that they did intend to continue the Bayonetta series, but not with Bayonetta as the character.

It doesn't really matter as they look incredibly fucked right now.

Are we forgetting how Kamiya had said that people were very much misinterpreting Bayonetta 3’s ending and that, I believe, he pretty much implied that Cereza isn’t going anywhere and that there would be a Bayonetta 4? And even in the game itself things are shown to have been restored to how they were before in the ending, so I’m pretty sure Cereza and Jeanne aren’t dead—plus this is a multiverse we’re dealing with now, so anything’s possible.

But yeah, with Kamiya not around anymore, I do worry about the continuation of the series’ story now, as I stated earlier.
Furthermore, the recent "Eyes of Bayonetta 3" art + lore book only confirmed (again) that Cereza is very much alive, but that the multiverse and all its denizens are, too. Whatever this all means for a future game remains to be seen, but again, that's for the future.

Speaking of which: between whatever notes Kamiya likely left behind, and whomever might be left to truly "shepherd" the series (I hope they let the young gun, Abe Tinari, do it!), I think the series will be in good hands. Or at least, Cereza can say that she had more time with Daddy's supervision than Dante ever did, and he turned out alright!

This video feels like the anti-Sakurai channel.

"I'm not going to do anything useful for the industry, I'm not going to talk about anything useful for making games, I'm unemployed, I cooked curry yesterday."

Sucks that the non-compete means that's a whole year tacked on with him not working on a game. (And oddly funny, considering Shinji Mikiami's apparently just ran out.)

But on the other hand, maybe he needed the time to truly decompress, and really follow his Twitter persona ethos: "do what he wanna do".

The fact that companies can just legally demand you do no work in basically the main industry you're qualified for for an entire year is absolutely ridiculous to me. I understand that there are concerns about trade secrets but...

Now, will comments be disabled for all of his videos, or will he try to block people one by one?

I loved how candid this was but given how much he avoided detailing why he left Platinum, I came away more convinced than ever that it really didn't work out between them.

Kamiya and Mikami joint project would be amazing, honestly.
Sure would.

Too bad Kamiya just started his NDA, while Mikami just got liberated from his.

At best, I'm hoping Mikami is ready to announce his next big venture. Whether it's going back to Capcom, joining up with M-Two (as has been suggested as a possibility, when Mikami was offered a chance to direct the RE4 remake), founding another new company or what-have-you. Because if Mikami is ready to do that, then surely, his buddy Kamiya will follow him as soon as he can.

Back
Top Bottom