• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News .hack//G.U. Last Recode officially confirmed for Switch, releasing March 10th, 2022

In their defense, both Scarlet Nexus and Arise started development way before Switch's massive success happened. Especially the Arise Dev team didn't know that the Vesperia remaster sales would be the best on Switch and it was too late to make a change.

Moving on Namco's target platform of focus needs to change, they need to be where money is at. They should reveal their next projects this year and if any of them doesn't involve Switch, they're doing it wrong. Especially when ps5 is having supply problems.
I feel they should've done Switch-specific versions, ala Sonic Unleashed on Wii or their own Tekken 5 and 6 on PSP.

Yeah Wii and PSP development was a hell of a lot cheaper then, but still, they have assets that should scale easily, just make the core game and engine (via UE4) from the ground-up on Switch. I'd bet it'd a lot easier than some would think, plus the HUGE install base and many times proven software successes would make that investment easily profitable.

And resources won't be an issue; just get 8ing back (who have much Switch experience with Zoids, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, etc.) to make Tekken 7 Switch Edition or something.

Scarlet Nexus might be tricky depending on how they can reconstruct the overworld. TOSE have done a lot on Switch (were they not the ones who did the impossible and did the BOTW port at launch themselves in such a short time?). Plus they had a hand in many RE titles over the years (like Revelations on 3DS, and even Dead Rising on Wii) and on Switch IIRC.

QLOC did the Vesperia remaster (plus Zesteria on PS4) and have done crazy Switch downports like Hellblade and recently Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neightborville, the first ever Frostbite title on a Nintendo platform. Surely Arise on Switch is well within their capabilities.

On paper a lot can be done IMO.

JP boxes:

81Y-xnSfy5L.jpg
81RvhCopy2L.jpg

Amazon JP page.

JP website:

Looks like .hack on Switch is native 1080p and 720p, but 30fps. These were 30fps on PS2 right? If so, I can more than live with that.

It's also seemingly 4,980 yen. What did it launch at on PS4?

And it's only 11GB and I think it says no SD card required? It shouldn't if it's on a 16GB card.

Last edited:
How long are we meant to give publishers to get their shit together on Switch?

The platform is almost 5 years old, the whole "game started development before..." excuse should have run out ages ago.

I feel they should've done Switch-specific versions, ala Sonic Unleashed on Wii or their own Tekken 5 and 6 on PSP.

Yeah Wii and PSP development was a hell of a lot cheaper then, but still, they have assets that should scale easily, just make the core game and engine (via UE4) from the ground-up on Switch. I'd bet it'd a lot easier than some would think, plus the HUGE install base and many times proven software successes would make that investment easily profitable.

And resources won't be an issue; just get 8ing back (who have much Switch experience with Zoids, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, etc.) to make Tekken 7 Switch Edition or something.

Scarlet Nexus might be tricky depending on how they can reconstruct the overworld. TOSE have done a lot on Switch (were they not the ones who did the impossible and did the BOTW port at launch themselves in such a short time?). Plus they had a hand in many RE titles over the years (like Revelations on 3DS, and even Dead Rising on Wii) and on Switch IIRC.

QLOC did the Vesperia remaster (plus Zesteria on PS4) and have done crazy Switch downports like Hellblade and recently Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neightborville, the first ever Frostbite title on a Nintendo platform. Surely Arise on Switch is well within their capabilities.

No.

There's a reason this method of game development has died. Not even the miracle ports are that much work

GU is 3 games. Original .hack is 4.

The platform is almost 5 years old, the whole "game started development before..." excuse should have run out ages ago.

Give Namco a break, it's not like they were on the ground floor of the Switch, working with Nintendo on one of their biggest games (and a couple of their smaller ones)

GU is 3 games. Original .hack is 4.

Give Namco a break, it's not like they were on the ground floor of the Switch, working with Nintendo on one of their biggest games (and a couple of their smaller ones)

Remember the Halcyon days of 2017/2018 when Bandai Namco execs reassured investors that they definitely weren't missing out on this hot new platform?

Yeah totally this man. This excuse is getting so old. As a matter of fact, I feel it's never has been a good excuse, or at least a very weak excuse tbh.

It's still amazes me to this day that ARMS has amazing netcode, MK8D has great netcode, Smash, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Pokken have terrible netcode, with Smash being the worst of those four.

It's still amazes me to this day that ARMS has amazing netcode, MK8D has great netcode, Smash, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Pokken have terrible netcode, with Smash being the worst of those four.

The Yabuki difference

Loved these games on PS2. I was unfamiliar with the series and picked up vol 1 on a whim because I wanted to play a JRPG, was very surprised when it ended on a cliffhanger. Ended up loving the entire trilogy so much that I platinumed the collection on PS4 years later. Glad more people will get to play them.

Remember the Halcyon days of 2017/2018 when Bandai Namco execs reassured investors that they definitely weren't missing out on this hot new platform?
The whole weird external/internal debacle aside, they really have been the biggest supporters of Switch. They release more games than anyone else each year and the lack of Tekken or Soul Calibur cannot change that fact.

I'm gonna believe Imran here, Tekken 7 and SC6 not happened on Switch because it was technically impossible. Not because of Harada's unexplainable attitude.

JP boxes:

81Y-xnSfy5L.jpg
81RvhCopy2L.jpg

Amazon JP page.

JP website:

Looks like .hack on Switch is native 1080p and 720p, but 30fps. These were 30fps on PS2 right? If so, I can more than live with that.

And it's only 11GB and I think it says no SD card required? It shouldn't if it's on a 16GB card.
they compressed kakrot down so no surprise here

It amazes me that neither Tekken or Soul Calibur got PS5/XB Series upgrades. It would be cool to play these games at 120 fps like Samurai Shodown or with RT effects.

Even Tekken 7 still doesn’t have xbox one x upgrade, even if you own series X, you will still play that game at 720p lolz

JP boxes:

81Y-xnSfy5L.jpg
81RvhCopy2L.jpg

Amazon JP page.

JP website:

That’d probably $40 usd, which is about standard for a port this late and falls in line with similar stuff

None of those would be practical: a switch port of T7 would get laughed out by anyone who plays the game competitively, and Scarlet Nexus is a big maybe due to it being a very demanding game on Series X: Arise I maybe could see, but it's also a pretty huge scale game and not at all like a traditional, old-school tales in scope. You'd be more likely to see Phantasia properly translated for the platform (the GBA one was a horrendous port plus it had, VERY terribad VA) than Arise coming natively, imo

None of those would be practical: a switch port of T7 would get laughed out by anyone who plays the game competitively, and Scarlet Nexus is a big maybe due to it being a very demanding game on Series X: Arise I maybe could see, but it's also a pretty huge scale game and not at all like a traditional, old-school tales in scope. You'd be more likely to see Phantasia properly translated for the platform (the GBA one was a horrendous port plus it had, VERY terribad VA) than Arise coming natively, imo
I don't think anyone would "laugh out" a Tekken port on Switch. We got MK11 running at 60fps on Switch and it has a pretty well populated online mode. Tekken would be same but I doubt Switch will get 7. Maybe Tag Tournament 2 port, since it already has Nintendo themed content.

Also, downports of current get games is nothing Namco never has done before. We just got Kakarot and Ni No Kuni 2 on Switch and they are really good ports. No doubt whoever did them can do similar job for Code Vein, Nexus and Arise too. I'm guessing Code Vein will be the first one.

I don't think anyone would "laugh out" a Tekken port on Switch. We got MK11 running at 60fps on Switch and it has a pretty well populated online mode. Tekken would be same but I doubt Switch will get 7. Maybe Tag Tournament 2 port, since it already has Nintendo themed content.

Also, downports of current get games is nothing Namco never has done before. We just got Kakarot and Ni No Kuni 2 on Switch and they are really good ports. No doubt whoever did them can do similar job for Code Vein, Nexus and Arise too. I'm guessing Code Vein will be the first one.

I wouldn't exactly call Kakarot or NNK2 the most intensive of games to downport, tbh. Kakarot should even be seen as a sign on how CC2 would port .Hack and I hear that DBZ port is really solid, so I think they could do so for .Hack and even the first set of hack games as well.

I do think Code Vein is a pretty safe bet though, and Nexus is a huge maybe, but I'm still against the notion that Arise would ever come over or be deemed practical enough to do so without a pro boost. We're far more likely to get a native port of an older game that could run better. Though TTT2 sounds like a great port idea, since the Wii U one had cool exclusive costumes and TT1HD was a PS3 only deal that would also benefit from another reissue!
I don't think it's been announced/confirmed yet. Hopefully if it doesn't, the Japanese release has English text.
They'd be utterly stupid not to release this physically in the west when they give Disney Magical World and Jump Force physicals... Especially since this is easily the best chance CC2 has of getting BNEI to OK a remake of the the OG four-pack that they've tried to push for years now (but it along with Sola/Tail Concerto reissues keep getting shot down)

Though TTT2 sounds like a great port idea, since the Wii U one had cool exclusive costumes and TT1HD was a PS3 only deal that would also benefit from another reissue!
I'm really liking the idea. They could add some of Tekken 7's new characters to TTT2's Switch version, like Lidia, Leroy or Shaheen. Personally, I liked TTT2 more than T7.

I'm really liking the idea. They could add some of Tekken 7's new characters to TTT2's Switch version, like Lidia, Leroy or Shaheen. Personally, I liked TTT2 more than T7.
that sounds like more work than it's worth since Bamco has completely moved over to unreal engine

that sounds like more work than it's worth since Bamco has completely moved over to unreal engine
Yeah but the payout is great. And it's still less work than a working T7 port. There's a big potential for a Tekken game on Switch. Switch is not getting awful lot of fighters (zero if we count sidestep fighters) and Kazuya in Smash had already been some brand exposure on the platform.

Back
Top Bottom