• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News .hack//G.U. Last Recode officially confirmed for Switch, releasing March 10th, 2022

oese0

Ultimate Fullmetal Alchemist fan

There we have it, official confirmation after the ESRB rating from a few months ago! Still a few months to go, but excited to try it out for the first time.

me revisiting .hack

200.gif

I started this on PS4 this year. Made it through the first game and about half way through the second. I thought the story was intriguing with some very basic and repetitive gameplay in between.

Nice to see it finally get announced. Expect it to be around $40 going off Bandai trends.

As someone new and curious about hack what should I watch before this

This should have been a day 1 Switch port (or at least 6-12 months later, mid-late 2018). But I guess that better late than never

Whats next? A late port of Tales of Berseria? lolz.
I'd take a late port of Tales of Berseria. Or any other Tales port

Nice to see it finally get announced. Expect it to be around $40 going off Bandai trends.

As someone new and curious about hack what should I watch before this

For GU specifically you can watch Roots before you play the games. Just skip episode 25 until after you finish Vol. 2.

Finally.

Played Outbreak from the first series but haven't touched G.U. series (thanks to Namco's stupid decision to have limited prints of JRPG games on PS2 in Europe) so I'm quite hyped. Hopefully with addition of Switch version, this will sell enough for Namco to greenlight a new game.

My serious guess is Code Vein is next. Maybe around summer next year.

I mean this is still an externally made game, doesn't he only have sway over internal projects?
I believe he only has say over franchises that Scamco own because he has say over things like Dark Souls which is developed by From Software instead of BN Studios.

Finally.

Played Outbreak from the first series but haven't touched G.U. series (thanks to Namco's stupid decision to have limited prints of JRPG games on PS2 in Europe) so I'm quite hyped. Hopefully with addition of Switch version, this will sell enough for Namco to greenlight a new game.

(Sorry for the double post.)

I’m guessing SoulCalibur VI will eventually get ported. Selling 2 million and losing the producer is kind of a bad look when your franchise is a rotting corpse.

(Sorry for the double post.)

I’m guessing SoulCalibur VI will eventually get ported. Selling 2 million and losing the producer is kind of a bad look when your franchise is a rotting corpse.
According to Imran/ShockingAlberto, Namco tried poring Tekken 7 to Switch once but failed. Could be that they didn't bother porting Soul Calibur 6 because of that.

But... They can always bring back older SC games under the "Encore" line. They have already done 1 and 2, maybe Switch could get the online HD version of 3 (best in the series IMO, this time it could have Dante)

Shows how the priority works. Big deals like Kakarot and DBFZ get the quick Namco turnarounds while stuff like this and NNK get picked up years later.

Still, any more sales of GU might give them the go ahead to remaster the first four games.

According to Imran/ShockingAlberto, Namco tried poring Tekken 7 to Switch once but failed. Could be that they didn't bother porting Soul Calibur 6 because of that.

But... They can always bring back older SC games under the "Encore" line. They have already done 1 and 2, maybe Switch could get the online HD version of 3 (best in the series IMO, this time it could have Dante)
I don’t trust Imran because he has got a lot of stuff wrong lately. Also, they know SoulCalibur VI can run on the hardware since they knew back in 2008 that SCIV could run on Wii before they made Broken Destiny for the PSP.

I would expect KOS-MOS over Dante since she’s technically already in the game as costume parts.

My Bandai-Namco expectation is (very late) ports of anime games like Boruto Shinobi Striker or One Piece and Dark Souls 2/3.

+ Encore lineup (as you said, maybe that will include old Soul Calibur or Tekken games). Namco’s PS2/Gamecube (including Wii) would be cool (RR5, various Tales of, Tekken TT/4/6, SC 2/3, Mr Driller, Klonoa Remake + 2, Namco x Capcom, Katamari, Xenosaga, Ace Combat 4/5…)

I believe he only has say over franchises that Scamco own because he has say over things like Dark Souls which is developed by From Software instead of BN Studios.
CC2 mentioned Bamco turned down a port before, so I'm assuming CC2 is putting up the cash themselves

Thought that was one of those "Zelda in unreal" videos from the thumbnail, glancing at, it it looked like Fierce Deity Link

Was always interested in this series back in the day but never got into it. Can't argue with the value, four remastered games.

I fucking WISH. Berseria is YEARS overdue on Switch. It was a perfect launch window port but NOPE, can't have that I guess!

My Bandai-Namco expectation is (very late) ports of anime games like Boruto Shinobi Striker or One Piece and Dark Souls 2/3.

+ Encore lineup (as you said, maybe that will include old Soul Calibur or Tekken games). Namco’s PS2/Gamecube (including Wii) would be cool (RR5, various Tales of, Tekken TT/4/6, SC 2/3, Mr Driller, Klonoa Remake + 2, Namco x Capcom, Katamari, Xenosaga, Ace Combat 4/5…)

Ideally the Encore line on Switch could include:

• Tales of Symphonia (based on the GC original, not the shitty PS2 one the HD one was based on), maybe add Dawn of the New World as well
  • Ace Combat 5 (this got a weird PS4 port that was a pre-order only, might've been made using Sony's emulator, but still)
  • The Munchables (yeah that weird Wii game by the Katamari folks, I'd still love to see it!)
  • Ribbit King (MY HEART! This was a GEM on GC. This was by Bandai though while all others are from Namco, but STILL)
  • Tekken 5 (make it based on that odd PS3 port, this was also by the director of Pokken and New Pokémon Snap, fun fact)
  • Soul Calibur 2 (WITH LINK DAMN IT)
  • Fragile Dreams (is this feasible?)

Just off the top of my head.

• Fragile Dreams (is this feasible?)
heh (my game project is inspired by this)

only if someone like Tri-Crescendo reminds them they own it. but any game that's currently under Harada's supervision probably won't make it. .hack and whatnot aren't those games. and apparently (according to Chris on install base), neither are the contracted games

heh (my game project is inspired by this)

only if someone like Tri-Crescendo reminds them they own it. but any game that's currently under Harada's supervision probably won't make it. .hack and whatnot aren't those games. and apparently (according to Chris on install base), neither are the contracted games
Except Dark Souls. Harada mentioned that along with Tekken, SC, Tales and Ace Combat in his promotion tweet. Unless Chris meant games that are outsourced to porting companies.

Never played these games but always interested. Is this game a good start or do I have to play some other games in the series first? I literally have no idea where to start though lol

Except Dark Souls. Harada mentioned that along with Tekken, SC, Tales and Ace Combat in his promotion tweet. Unless Chris meant games that are outsourced to porting companies.
Nah, he means non-BN Studios games. Don't know what's up with Dark Souls, but I think it's telling enough how that was handled

Can someone adequately express what Harada‘s problem is? He’s mentioned as an impediment to Bandai Namco porting internally-developed games to Switch and I’d like the story here.

Can someone adequately express what Harada‘s problem is? He’s mentioned as an impediment to Bandai Namco porting internally-developed games to Switch and I’d like the story here.
we don't really know. Harada leads the Namco IPs and they just don't get ported to the Switch anymore. outside of Switch exclusives that target kids/families, Vesperia was the last one. externally made games apparently don't fall under Harada's jurisdiction (or they do) but the developer in question has to push for a port. my assumption is said companies would have to fit it in their budget/schedule themselves

Some weird hateboner folks here have, really. Most of BNEI's newer, flashier games would need a lot of downgrades to run properly on switch so usually Bamco just opts to skip switch and hold it for later and get it out on traditional platforms first, unless it's something that's a no brainer like Pac-Man Museum. We've gotten our own share of exclusives like the Encore games and Namcot Collection so I don't get why people think Harada singlehandedly hates the switch and is blocking stuff from it, when the more logical reason is that Namco stuff just doesn't really make sense to cram onto Switch as a top priority, but the money's there enough to do stuff later if there's free time.

Tekken 7 and SCVI would never ever run properly on Switch and people are completely insane to think they ever would, nor that BNEi would bother with extra time to get that to work when they had DLC to work on for the other versions, so they just flat out won't come: DBFZ was a bit easier since Arc got the hang of the platform and throws anything on the system, and likewise, CC2 wanted to put Recode on Switch for years but Bamco said no. Pretty pleased they got their way, and i'll definitely be preordering this after how much I loved Fuga.

TBH, I recommend peers support this release too, since CC2 also wants to fully remake solatorobo but BNEI keeps saying no due to how poorly the DS original did.

There are not many internally developed games anyway.

There are Tekken 7 and SC6, we assume technical limitations prevent them to be on Switch
And then there is Ace Combat 8. Let's be real, it has no chance of getting ported in any circumstance.
After that Code Vein. It's made by God Eater guys and the latest GE game is on Switch. I expect it to hit Switch soon, maybe next year.

The remaining games were released just this year (Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise) they need some time. I don't know where this "Harada doesn't want internal games to be on Switch" thing is coming from, it's not like there are tons of them. Just four excluding this years releases.

Some weird hateboner folks here have, really. Most of BNEI's newer, flashier games would need a lot of downgrades to run properly on switch so usually Bamco just opts to skip switch and hold it for later and get it out on traditional platforms first, unless it's something that's a no brainer like Pac-Man Museum. We've gotten our own share of exclusives like the Encore games and Namcot Collection so I don't get why people think Harada singlehandedly hates the switch and is blocking stuff from it, when the more logical reason is that Namco stuff just doesn't really make sense to cram onto Switch as a top priority, but the money's there enough to do stuff later if there's free time.

Tekken 7 and SCVI would never ever run properly on Switch and people are completely insane to think they ever would, nor that BNEi would bother with extra time to get that to work when they had DLC to work on for the other versions, so they just flat out won't come: DBFZ was a bit easier since Arc got the hang of the platform and throws anything on the system, and likewise, CC2 wanted to put Recode on Switch for years but Bamco said no. Pretty pleased they got their way, and i'll definitely be preordering this after how much I loved Fuga.

TBH, I recommend peers support this release too, since CC2 also wants to fully remake solatorobo but BNEI keeps saying no due to how poorly the DS original did.
Tekken 7 wouldn’t run properly because it would need to be remade like Dragon Quest XI. SoulCalibur on the other hand was developed on the UE4 update that has Switch support, Tekken 7 wasn’t.

Code Vein are by the original devs of God Eater, Shift. God Eater 3 was by Marvelous. and Code Vein is over two years old, I don't see the point in holding out hope for that
(Sorry for the double post again.)

I mean they just announced a 4 year old game for Switch. I don’t think age is a factor regarding BN’s late Switch ports.

Code Vein are by the original devs of God Eater, Shift. God Eater 3 was by Marvelous. and Code Vein is over two years old, I don't see the point in holding out hope for that
Yeah, I didn't deny that, I believe Shift guys oversaw the production of GE3.

And this is porting to Switch we're talking about, 2 years is not a long time at all. Especially for Namco games (we ARE on a thread of a 2018 game releasing in 2022). CV is not demanding game, with the right port studio they can get it running on Switch acceptably. My bet is Summer 2022 for its launch.

(Sorry for the double post again.)

I mean they just announced a 4 year old game for Switch. I don’t think age is a factor regarding BN’s late Switch ports.
yea, but that's why I mentioned there seems to be a difference between internal Bamco games and external. Code Vein, I'll give you, but unlike .hack, there hasn't been a peep on attempts. CC2 tried last year to get a port (and they were pretty vocal about their ties to Sony)

yea, but that's why I mentioned there seems to be a difference between internal Bamco games and external. Code Vein, I'll give you, but unlike .hack, there hasn't been a peep on attempts. CC2 tried last year to get a port (and they were pretty vocal about their ties to Sony)
What difference? If Code Vein gets ported, it'll be first new internal Namco game to be ported. There are other reasons for Tekken 7, SC6 and Ace Combat 8 are not coming to Switch.

GE3 funny enough was specifically by, fittingly, the Soul Sacrifice team at First Studio. Same director and art director IIRC.

I think there's hope for Code Vein. Scarlet Nexus has to come at some point as that's by ye olde Nintendo faithful TOSE of all people.

Scarlet Nexus could definitely work on Switch but Namco can't expect people to buy games 2-3 years after their initial release.
AND they could release game that target the Switch to begin with, this way maybe they'd be revelant in Japan where Scarlet Nexus bombed hard.

Scarlet Nexus could definitely work on Switch but Namco can't expect people to buy games 2-3 years after their initial release.
AND they could release game that target the Switch to begin with, this way maybe they'd be revelant in Japan where Scarlet Nexus bombed hard.
At least not at close to full price. 50% off maybe

Devs making their games for Switch in mind? Surely you don't expect them to do the smart thing? :p

Devs making their games for Switch in mind? Surely you don't expect them to do the smart thing? :p
But just imagine how horrible Tales would look if it was made for Switch!

Bamco's stuff isn't so high calibur that a switch version would need severe cuts. They're no id/Machine Games/etc no matter how much they want it to look

Tekken 7 wouldn’t run properly because it would need to be remade like Dragon Quest XI. SoulCalibur on the other hand was developed on the UE4 update that has Switch support, Tekken 7 wasn’t.

Samurai Shodown was a UE game if I'm not mistaken, and that port is a miracle that barely stays together at 60: I don't think we'll be seeing many ports like it (and the shift to next gen is likely why KOFXV is MIA), so I think SC is out.

...Wouldn't mind ACA Tekken 1-3, though!

In their defense, both Scarlet Nexus and Arise started development way before Switch's massive success happened. Especially the Arise Dev team didn't know that the Vesperia remaster sales would be the best on Switch and it was too late to make a change.

Moving on Namco's target platform of focus needs to change, they need to be where money is at. They should reveal their next projects this year and if any of them doesn't involve Switch, they're doing it wrong. Especially when ps5 is having supply problems.

Back
Top Bottom