• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion GTA 6 is reportedly set to be the most expensive game of all time. The game will cost between $1-2 billion.

... It's the closest thing the human race has to a guaranteed hit. I mean, it's what pretty much every child in the western world grows up on, ...
"human race", "every child". I think you really have a completely wrong impression of the notoriety of GTA. Its a big blockbuster but thats about that.

Is that logo official?

(Does it mean we're finally getting a bisexual protagonist?)

I'm expecting one of the most awesome worlds to vehicle around in ever... with shoddy linear quest design and tps controls. As is the usually the way with GTA.

Can't wait to play this on my PS5, and again on my PS6 & PS7. And it will not come to Switch 2 or 3.
Obviously. Sony gets those deals done.

Tonally, what is this game gonna be? Over the course of GTA V's ten year run as an unstoppable juggernaut, critics have soured on its story. A lot has changed between 2013 and 2023 in the US. From the leaks, I get the sense they want to be taken seriously. But what does that look like? They aren't gonna make it RDR3. I just can't imagine what the end product is.

Edit: If it was me, I'd go for Widows. That's the level of "women-led crime story that's fun but also thrilling with some social commentary" that I trust Rockstar to water down enough to work as a video game narrative for a AAAA game.

again it will work out with GTA but what happens when other games follow, I highly doubt every EA or Ubisoft game can make that money back for example?

At $70, Rockstar Really only needs to sell 30 million copies to break even.

GTA V sold more than 150 million copies, plus has sold untold amounts of microtransactions.

Out of all of the third parties companies, this is one case where we can argue that AAA gaming in completely sustainable.

It's the other publishers who have series that average like 5-10 million copies and then expect them to sell 30 million copies that's the problem.

I'm salty of that tbh. Even the 265(iirc) million figure we have for GTA V development cost is analyst's estimates. And I don't think Rockstar would counter the marketing that being the costest game of all time made.

1 billion is just complete insanity. I really hope no other company ever try to copy that.

I mean they can be bluffing in a way like Activision did with Destiny where they reported it would cost 500m US$, then said it would include marketing and extended support but it ultimately never came to cost that.

I recall it being reported that Genshin Impact was costing/would cost about 100m a year? If they include all the post launch support (I mean GTA V turns 10 this year) then it can come to cost it after awhile.

But only development? Hell no.

again it will work out with GTA but what happens when other games follow, I highly doubt every EA or Ubisoft game can make that money back for example?
why would other companies follow? What does Ubisoft have that can even match the scale of GTA? Assassins Creed LMAO? And what about EA?

If other companies follow suit, which they won't, they deserve to fail if the financials do not make sense. GTA 6 can be costs 2 billion dollars because GTA V has made, what, $8B?

With that said, GTA 6 can and will likely surpass GTA 5 by opening up the online mode further. Adding things that will make people spend more money which is very possible.

"human race", "every child". I think you really have a completely wrong impression of the notoriety of GTA. Its a big blockbuster but thats about that.
it has sold 3x as much as mario kart 8 deluxe.

there is only one Rockstar. Ubisoft and EA are all about releasing games every year, too.

Back
Top Bottom