• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation God of War hits 19.5 million copies sold, Steam release announced

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
We're thrilled to announce that God of War (2018) will be coming to PC on January 14, 2022! All of us at Santa Monica Studio have been humbled by the immense amount of support and passions fans of the God of War series have shown in the latest chapter of Kratos' story since its release. As of August 2021, 19.5MM copies for God of War on PlayStation 4 have been sold through and we can't wait to share that experience with a whole new group of players on PC.

SOURCE

PC port will include DLSS support, 21:9 widescreen, and unlocked frame rates.

Really good numbers for a great game. PC gamers need to pick this up if they never played it before.

Wish better action games like DMC5 could sell as much. Guess the pathway to sales is by turning your franchise into an accessible, story-focused action game with pointless RPG elements.
Well yeah, God of War has always been more successful than character action games, because that’s not what it is. It’s an adventure series with a bit more focus on action than something like Zelda. DMC essentially drops you into a room with a bunch of enemies. Level design is essentially non-existent.

Ragnarok is gonna have some massive launch numbers. Sony has been aggressively bundling and discounting GoW 2018 since shortly after release (it was half-off on the European PSN in November 2018) to get it into as many hands as possible and I think this is going to work out pretty nicely for them.

I just so happened to be reading through the Review thread on Era this morning before this news hit. No idea what compelled me to go back and read through some highlights, but the best part of the whole thread was @Phantom Thief changing his avatar because it hit 95 on MC.

Phenomenal game that I've been meaning to go back to, and am so happy it'll be in the hands of more people.

Wish better action games like DMC5 could sell as much. Guess the pathway to sales is by turning your franchise into an accessible, story-focused action game with pointless RPG elements.
♫ Assassin's Creed is a good franchise ♫

Well yeah, God of War has always been more successful than character action games, because that’s not what it is. It’s an adventure series with a bit more focus on action than something like Zelda. DMC essentially drops you into a room with a bunch of enemies. Level design is essentially non-existent.
Someone hasn't played DMC3

Interested on seeing how much it will sell. Do we have information on the other Sony games brought to PC?

Much higher than expected. I really should get around to trying this game.

The price of the game dropped down real quick. By Fall 2018, roughly 6 months after it was released, you could get the game for $20. Sony first party games surprisingly drop in price fast which of course leads to more sales. But it looks like a trend Sony is trying to end in the PS5 era. They have been less willing to put games on sale.

Never liked this game. Gameplay, story, setting, none of those were my things. I loved the originals high speed action and brilliant puzzles. Over the shoulder no-cut cam especially killed everything for me.

And as a Greek guy myself, I hated the way they abandoned glorious Greek setting for garbage tier norse world. My Zeus kicks your Odin's ass.

I just so happened to be reading through the Review thread on Era this morning before this news hit. No idea what compelled me to go back and read through some highlights, but the best part of the whole thread was @Phantom Thief changing his avatar because it hit 95 on MC.

Phenomenal game that I've been meaning to go back to, and am so happy it'll be in the hands of more people.
Oh yeah I forgot about that lol. I was the most bullish on how it would do, surprisingly enough.

I’m hyped for Ragnarok. Hope it builds and improves on 2018’s template further.

These are very good numbers, even taking into account the pretty aggressive discounting of Sony's 1st party titles.

I'm pretty interested in seeing more of the sequel. I think God of War 2018 is a solid-not-great game in most ways, but I think I'm hopeful the devs will address some of the more obvious issues like bad enemy variety, bad boss fights, and bad RPG elements. Really if they basically just keep a lot of the overall structure of the game similar to 2018 but revamp (or even remove outright) those RPG elements, add more enemy types, and make the boss battles actually fun instead of just giant setpieces then I think they have a chance at making something pretty special.

The price of the game dropped down real quick. By Fall 2018, roughly 6 months after it was released, you could get the game for $20. Sony first party games surprisingly drop in price fast which of course leads to more sales. But it looks like a trend Sony is trying to end in the PS5 era. They have been less willing to put games on sale.
There's not enough PS5 out there to do that strategy. A lot of would-be buyers of their games, just don't have the console to do so. A likely max expectation they have for any single title is like 20% of the console's install base and Sony's PS5 titles have been getting pretty close to that mark without sales.

Great numbers; glad to see it coming to PC even if I couldn't play it before I upgrade mine.

Definitely great numbers. I don't really know whether this game was a risk for the series because it basically had all the makings of a modern AAA game, but it was a big departure for GOW in general. I found the design really messy but I hope Ragnorok tightens things up a bit.

DMC3’s level design isn’t much better than 4 or 5.
DMC3's level design literally plays like God of War with lite Zelda elements, though. So unless you're saying God of War doesn't have very good level design either (which I would agree with, it's above average but it isn't great or anything), I don't get your point.

That's another thing. As much as DMC1 and DMC3's room are often just boxes for player expression, they also are interconnected worlds in an almost Metroidvania like sense. That's not something God of War really did till 2018.

And that's not to rag on God of War, moreso saying that even if it has lite Zelda elements, they were very superficial in the old games at best, nothing to write home about. If that actually makes the game automatically have better level design than Devil May Cry because rooms aren't just boxes for player expression (as if level design isn't about how to get the best out of a specific game), we have a serious problem in the games industry.

It's funny because even God of War 2018's "level design" is a super mixed bag, in fact it might actually damper the quality of the game moreso than a lack of conventionally great level design ever does in the DMC or old GOW games. It has an interconnected "world", which is actually quite interesting, until it isn't and you realize getting anywhere is a fucking slog and a chore, super slow, and that the world isn't that interconnected to begin with.

Last edited:
🧂🧂🧂

One of the best games I've played in years!

DMC3's level design literally plays like God of War with lite Zelda elements, though. So unless you're saying God of War doesn't have very good level design either (which I would agree with, it's above average but it isn't great or anything), I don't get your point.

That's another thing. As much as DMC1 and DMC3's room are often just boxes for player expression, they also are interconnected worlds in an almost Metroidvania like sense. That's not something God of War really did till 2018.

And that's not to rag on God of War, moreso saying that even if it has lite Zelda elements, they were very superficial in the old games at best, nothing to write home about. If that actually makes the game automatically have better level design than Devil May Cry because rooms aren't just boxes for player expression (as if level design isn't about how to get the best out of a specific game), we have a serious problem in the games industry.

It's funny because even God of War 2018's "level design" is a super mixed bag, in fact it might actually damper the quality of the game moreso than a lack of conventionally great level design ever does in the DMC or old GOW games. It has an interconnected "world", which is actually quite interesting, until it isn't and you realize getting anywhere is a fucking slog and a chore, super slow, and that the world isn't that interconnected to begin with.
DMC3's level design is certainly the best in the series, but it's still pretty basic. I would agree GoW 2018 doesn't have exceptional level design either (though the central hub area is pretty great), but it's on a completely different level than any DMC game, at least.

It's kind of a moot point though, because DMC is a pure action series, so basic level design isn't really a big issue. DMC3SE is also the best action game ever made, so it's not like I'm faulting it or anything.

My original point is that it's really not surprising God of War is more successful than games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, as it's not trying to be like those games, which have more limited appeal.

So...
"who is gonna win in a fight between Link and Kratos"-thread: when?
Ragnarok might very well sell more units than BotW2, but Zelda's lifetime revenue will be higher. GoW will sell most of its units at a $20 price point. Zelda will sell most of its units at $60. Nintendo evergreens simply aren't on the same plane of existence as other first party offerings.

"Character action" is a pretty nebulous subgenre. DMC and God of War are both action games; 90% of their gameplay is combat, so when Norse GoW is lacking in the department comparatively it's a pretty big flaw. A flaw which has largely swept aside because... the game has a good story and mass appeal elements?

They're different games with different aims, which is fair to some extent. But when the combat is majority of the gameplay it's disappointing when it's lacking. Especially when the game is getting huge praise and success largely for being derivative of other popular games or design trends, like The Last of Us and worthless RPG elements.

Last edited:
Crazy, for me the series peaked with the Hydra boss, that was new and different and awesome, but by the time the 2nd came around I slogged through half of it and never went back, it was just getting boring. I only played 1 boss of the 3rd and that was simple.

Holy shit I didn't realize it was that much for just the one game... Can't wait to see what they add and improve in Ragnarok

"Character action" is a pretty nebulous subgenre. DMC and God of War are both action games; 90% of their gameplay is combat, so when Norse GoW is lacking in the department comparatively it's a pretty big flaw. A flaw which has largely swept aside because... the game has a good story and mass appeal elements?

They're different games with different aims, which is fair to some extent. But when the combat is majority of the gameplay it's disappointing when it's lacking. Especially when the game is getting huge praise and success largely for being derivative of other popular games or design trends, like The Last of Us and worthless RPG elements.
You’re assuming that it wasn’t praised for its combat but instead only for its story and “mass appealing stuff” when that isn’t the case at all. Many people loved GOW18’s combat.

Sure it’s not super deep like DMC or Bayo but it’s fun!!

Action and combat has always been only one element of GoW’s appeal. The sense of adventure, narrative, world building, light puzzles, etc. are just as integral to its success. Games like DMC and Bayonetta are almost exclusively laser-focused on combat, which is one of the reasons they’re better from a pure mechanical standpoint than any GoW title. And also why they aren’t as appealing to a wider audience.

Anyway this is my favorite sony game that ive played. I really like SSM’s approach to game design with this over Naughty Dog’s, so I’m happy to see it do as well as it has and can’t wait for Ragnarok!

Congrats, SSM. Well done!

Personally I've never been able to really get into the game myself or see what others see in it, even after repeated attempts at playing through it as late as 2020, so just last year. It obviously (and simply) isn't for me, but I hope my fellow PC folks will like it.

Fantastic game. Best PS first party game for sure. It deserves all those sales. Game is S rank in almost all categories, entering SS rank, or even SSS rank, in a few as well. Overall, the game is more than the sum of it's parts and delivers an SSS rank experience in what only can be describes as an incredibly SSStylish and SSSensational take on the franchise.

I mean, Kratos would probably eat Link for breakfast

Not with bearded link

5e7d99afaee8e.jpg

God damn! I know that Sony aggressively price cuts their games and all that but that's still insane! That's hitting Nintendo-like Switch numbers! I can't say I'm as into it as many others were but I still had a good time with it and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Definitely my favorite recent Sony game

Back
Top Bottom