• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Even this guy is questioning the comma usage on this page

captain-kirk-miley-cyrus.jpg

I usually just lurk here so sorry if this has been discussed before: is there any chance of the next Switch supporting native 1440p output? I'm assuming chances are slim to none but maybe I'm totally in the wrong?
Yes, there is. In fact, there are parts of existing Switch firmware that directly reference 1440p. Outside of 4K, it's the only resolution referenced within the operating system that isn't supported.

Personally I think they can and should support it. The question is more if they want to bother dealing with the software side of things for that.

Given the presence of this resolution was alongside 720p, and nothing else, I think it most likely refers to the Home Menu and other such UI elements. Those getting a bump to 1440p would be nice, and if they do, as this seems to imply they will, then I think 1440p native output is also likely.

That said I expect the majority of games to target 4K regardless. Not all native 4K, certainly, but it's better for DLSS, or god forbid FSR 1.0, to do that work rather than leaving it to a television.

Yes, there is. In fact, there are parts of existing Switch firmware that directly reference 1440p. Outside of 4K, it's the only resolution referenced within the operating system that isn't supported.
Where? I don't recall.

THEIR PLANS

NINTENDO WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS.

AFTER PIKMIN 4 WE'RE IN THE DARK.

Prediction time:

It will be announced before E3 so 3rd parties can show off games coming to it.

Nintendo will stage a "Switch [REDACTED] Direct" between the reveal and E3 where they show their own games launching with and after it.

Launching in August to October (What I would call "Autumn") like every over Switch revision has before.

Journalists: Nintendo won't have a presence at E3 this year due to a lack of "heavy hitters" for the second half of the year.

Nintendo: We're not participating in E3 because it doesn't align with our current plans.

Me: SWITCH 2 IS IMMINENT WITH 3D MARIO!!!!!!

Greater than 16 gb you say?

Edit: I know it doesn't mean anything, but still kind of strange they would even account for that.
If you have to go back and change code to make something a little bit futureproof, it might be just as easy to make it a lot bit futureproof and not have to worry about potentially coming back again in a few years.
Nobody knows for sure, but to me it seems reasonable that the next Switch will be arriving by the time OS revision 17.0 drops.
That seems pretty quick. The time between major version numbers has basically been 3-7 months so far, or likely June-September for 17.

THEIR PLANS

NINTENDO WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS.

AFTER PIKMIN 4 WE'RE IN THE DARK.

Prediction time:

It will be announced before E3 so 3rd parties can show off games coming to it.

Nintendo will stage a "Switch [REDACTED] Direct" between the reveal and E3 where they show their own games launching with and after it.

Launching in August to October (What I would call "Autumn") like every over Switch revision has before.
Why wouldn't Nintendo want to attend E3 if that were the case? That would be an opportunity to get people hands on with Switch 2 a few months before it would launch. Im starting to warm up to the idea that the second half of 2023 could be very dismal for first party Nintendo Switch software releases. Even if Switch 2 were launching in October or November, it still seems like E3 would be a great opportunity to announce it and show it off. What are the odds production of Switch 2 is ongoing for months without leaks? If Switch 2 were to launch in the next 6-8 months, this will have been one of the best guarded secrets in recent videogame memory. This would mean the sources that the DF crew have contacts with, as well as Nate likely do not have development kits yet, seeing as how they are suggesting 2024 because they basically know nothing about it right now.

Why wouldn't Nintendo want to attend E3 if that were the case? That would be an opportunity to get people hands on with Switch 2 a few months before it would launch. Im starting to warm up to the idea that the second half of 2023 could be very dismal for first party Nintendo Switch software releases. Even if Switch 2 were launching in October or November, it still seems like E3 would be a great opportunity to announce it and show it off. What are the odds production of Switch 2 is ongoing for months without leaks? If Switch 2 were to launch in the next 6-8 months, this will have been one of the best guarded secrets in recent videogame memory. This would mean the sources that the DF crew have contacts with, as well as Nate likely do not have development kits yet, seeing as how they are suggesting 2024 because they basically know nothing about it right now.
I'm wondering if it's more about how the event is handled behind the scenes rather than the opportunity it presents...
They've also survived without it for 3 years...
Much like most devs learned to survive without nintendo ... Maybe these companies have learned they don't need to be boxed into E3

Saying Switch 2 is the "best guarded secret" in any sense is an outright fabrication. They've been TERRIBLE at keeping this thing secret. Doubt is one thing, doubt is fine. There's no need to make things up. 😂

Saying Switch 2 is the "best guarded secret" in any sense is an outright fabrication. They've been TERRIBLE at keeping this thing secret. Doubt is one thing, doubt is fine. There's no need to make things up. 😂

We don't even know if it's called Switch 2. The info we have is largely due to an illegal hack

The secret has been very well kept imo

We don't even know if it's called Switch 2. The info we have is largely due to an illegal hack

The secret has been very well kept imo
We didn't know the Switch was called the Switch until it was revealed.

The hack... Still happened. Even if it wasn't strictly a mistake on Nintendo's end, that's still the secret not being kept.

Even if it didn't happen, come on, it's hardly the only source out there. There are public documents that reference the T239.

This device has been leaked and rumoured to death. We know more about it than almost any other Nintendo console pre-reveal. It is one of the worst kept secrets in Nintendo's history.

Not to mention Microsoft having to mention it in court.

Random thought…. It’s going to be so funny/sad if we get a ps5 pro or new Xbox before a new switch.

Take this with a huge grain of salt since this is coming from DigiTimes, which generally have a very mixed record.
NVIDIA透過與聯發科合作,雖只是提供GPU,但仍算是重返手機戰場。

據IC設計業者表示,蘋果(Apple)、三星電子(Samsung Electronics)與先前華為在手機導入AI功能上,早早已鳴槍起跑。在晶片競局中,高通(Qualcomm)、聯發科最新旗艦手機也不斷強打AI技術。

值得注意的是,全力強化高階戰力的聯發科,繼NB產品找上NVIDIA合作後,據了解,雙方將再度攜手,預計最快2024年聯發科旗艦晶片將搭載NVIDIA GPU,同時強化AI與遊戲效能。

擁有NVIDIA助攻的聯發科,在全球AI手機激烈競局中,可望一舉拉近與高通差距,進一步搶食高階手機晶片市佔。

全球智慧型手機出貨量增速趨緩,估計2022年總出貨量約衰退逾1成,由於手機換機周期拉長至逾3年,規格、設計創新動能不再,晶片效能也在半導體製程逼近極限下,拉升難度大增,未來恐難見顯著成長動能。

此也使得手機產業鏈全力尋求技術突破與創造產品差異化,當中又以AI為技術發展關鍵,包括晶片效能、延長電池壽命、人臉辨識、語音助理、相機性能強化到健康照護等,皆須仰賴AI技術導入。

IC設計業者表示,近月來由高通與聯發科高階手機全面強打AI功能即知,AI已經成為手機最關鍵技術,如高通所推出的頂級行動平台Snapdragon 8 Gen 2,宣傳主軸聚焦擁有全面突破性的AI進行智慧設計,包括效能、相機拍攝、影像處理、遊戲影音、5G連線能力與安全防護等皆是升級有感。

尤其是「即時硬體加速光線追蹤」、「空間音訊和動態頭部追蹤」等創新技術為最大亮點所在。高通信心認為其將在2023年徹底改變旗艦智慧型手機的格局,並已獲得華碩ROG、榮耀、Oppo、Sony、Vivo、小米等多家手機品牌大廠採用。

而聯發科最新高階晶片天璣9200最大亮點亦聚焦AI能力,同樣也在影像處理與相機拍攝上皆有明顯強化,但整體效能規格仍未能追上高通,也使得聯發科為快速能拉升AI手機戰力,尋求與在AI GPU平台技術上佔有領先優勢的NVIDIA合作。

雙方預計最快2024年聯發科旗艦晶片將搭載NVIDIA GPU,將可同時強化AI與遊戲效能,擁有NVIDIA助攻的聯發科,在全球AI手機激烈競局中,可望一舉拉近與高通差距,進一步搶食高階手機晶片市佔。

對於市場傳言,聯發科表示與NVIDIA沒有合作。

而先前三星的手機也找上超微(AMD)助陣,先前發布的自家手機晶片Exynos 2200就採用超微的RDNA GPU技術授權。

IC設計業者表示,NVIDIA多年前曾大動作搶進手機戰場,以Tegra晶片挑戰高通與聯發科,但由於完全不熟悉手機市場,至多只有獲小米等少數手機品牌採用,但合作未能持續下,NVIDIA很快就黯然退出手機市場,當時即使釋出GPU授權也乏人問津。

而現在NVIDIA透過與聯發科合作,雖只是提供GPU,但仍算是重返手機戰場,手機市場規模遠甚PC市場,對於獲利將帶來顯著助益。

此外,今時不同往日,其AI與遊戲效能優勢地位無人取代,若雙方合作成功,或許向來企圖心相當強大的NVIDIA,可望全面重返手機平台戰場,黃仁勳的手機夢再次實現,NVIDIA的AI技術將遍及所有大小裝置。

另一方面,隨著GPU雙雄NVIDIA、超微進入手機平台戰場,可望為手機繪圖效能帶來大幅躍升,而NVIDIA更在PC、資料中心與車用等領域展現強大AI技術強項,進一步在AI手機領域大展身手。

責任編輯:陳奭璁
Translation provided by DeepL Translator.
NVIDIA has returned to the cell phone battlefield by partnering with MediaTek to provide GPUs.

According to the IC design industry, Apple, Samsung Electronics and Huawei have long been firing on the phone to introduce AI functions. In the chip competition, Qualcomm, MediaTek's latest flagship cell phones also continue to play a strong AI technology.

It is noteworthy that MediaTek, which is fully committed to strengthening its high-end battlefield, has tapped NVIDIA for its NB products, and it is understood that the two companies will work together again to enhance the AI and gaming performance of MediaTek's flagship chipsets with NVIDIA GPUs by 2024 at the earliest.

With the help of NVIDIA, MediaTek is expected to close the gap with Qualcomm in the fierce competition of global AI phones and further capture the market share of high-end mobile chipsets.

The growth rate of global smartphone shipments is slowing down, and it is estimated that total shipments will decline by more than 10% in 2022. As the replacement cycle of cell phones has lengthened to more than 3 years, the momentum of innovation in specifications and design is no longer available, and the chip performance is approaching the limits of the semiconductor process, making it much more difficult to increase.

This also makes the cell phone industry chain to seek technical breakthroughs and create product differentiation, including AI as the key to technology development, including chip performance, extended battery life, face recognition, voice assistant, camera performance enhancement to health care, etc., all rely on the introduction of AI technology.

The IC design industry said that in recent months by Qualcomm and MediaTek high-end cell phones to play a comprehensive AI function that is to say, AI has become the most critical technology for cell phones, such as Qualcomm launched the top mobile platform Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, the main axis of publicity focus on a comprehensive breakthrough AI for intelligent design, including performance, camera shooting, image processing, games, video, 5G connectivity and security The promotion focuses on the comprehensive breakthrough in AI for intelligent design, including performance, camera shooting, image processing, gaming and video, 5G connectivity, and security protection.

In particular, innovative technologies such as "real-time hardware accelerated light tracking" and "spatial audio and dynamic head tracking" are the biggest highlights. Qualcomm is confident that it will revolutionize the flagship smartphone landscape by 2023, and has already been adopted by ASUS ROG, RON, Oppo, Sony, Vivo, Xiaomi and many other major cell phone brands.

MediaTek's newest high-end chip, the Dimensity 9200, is also focused on AI capabilities, with significant enhancements in both image processing and camera capture, but the overall performance specifications have yet to catch up with Qualcomm.

With NVIDIA's support, MediaTek is expected to close the gap with Qualcomm in the fierce global AI handset competition and further capture the market share of high-end handset chips.

In response to market rumors, MediaTek said it has no cooperation with NVIDIA.

Samsung's cell phones have also enlisted the help of AMD, and its previously released mobile chip Exynos 2200 is licensed with Supermicro's RDNA GPU technology.

According to the IC design industry, NVIDIA made a big move into the cell phone market years ago, challenging Qualcomm and MediaTek with its Tegra chip, but due to its complete lack of familiarity with the cell phone market, only a few cell phone brands such as Xiaomi used it.

Now NVIDIA is back to the cell phone market through its partnership with MediaTek, although it only provides GPUs, the cell phone market is much larger than the PC market, which will bring significant benefits to profits.

If the partnership is successful, NVIDIA, which has always had a strong ambition, may return to the mobile platform, and NVIDIA's dream of cell phones will once again come true.

On the other hand, with the GPU duo NVIDIA and Supermicro entering the mobile platform battlefield, it is expected to bring a significant jump in mobile graphics performance, and NVIDIA is showing strong AI technology strengths in PC, data center, and automotive applications, furthering its presence in the AI mobile space.

Responsible Editor: Suk-Tsung Chen

To say we know practically nothing is far more factual than saying we know almost everything about the next Switch. Even saying the next Switch is still an assumption, a probable one sure, but its not a known fact that the next Nintendo hardware will be a direct successor to the Switch. Even the T239, we have things that highly suggest it will be powering the next Switch, but its also possible that it has been cancelled, however unlikely. So I will concede that perhaps the best kept secret was a stretch, I stand by the idea that if Switch 2 were announced in June and release three months later, and we didn't start getting massive leaks prior to that reveal, that would be a well kept secret. The crew over at DF has a good track record, and currently they seem very much in the dark on the next Switch. It would be surprising to me if they didn't start hearing things months in advance of announcement.

We didn't know the Switch was called the Switch until it was revealed.

The hack... Still happened. Even if it wasn't strictly a mistake on Nintendo's end, that's still the secret not being kept.

Even if it didn't happen, come on, it's hardly the only source out there. There are public documents that reference the T239.

This device has been leaked and rumoured to death. We know more about it than almost any other Nintendo console pre-reveal. It is one of the worst kept secrets in Nintendo's history.

Not to mention Microsoft having to mention it in court.
You could argue Nintendo has been very good at keeping it secret. And Nvidia has sucked.

Nintendo can and has done in person demos both by themselves and at non-E3 events. E3 is just one venue they can choose to leverage, and there's a real growing trend at this point of big industry players seemingly thinking E3 isn't worth it anymore.

Take this with a huge grain of salt since this is coming from DigiTimes, which generally have a very mixed record.

Translation provided by DeepL Translator.
That translation is dense as hell so I won't be surprised if I'm taking away the wrong notes haha. Is this suggesting Nvidia is adding an AI virtual assistant to its mobile GPU chips, that could possibly translate to Drake having 'Navi' as an assistant?

"Hey Navi, start Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom"
"Hey Navi, what games should I play similar to Animal Crossing?"
"Hey Navi, set a timer to wrap up my game after an hour"

I know it's not a new suggestion but it is interesting to consider, and certainly a differentiating gimmick that the other platform holders don't have yet.

Edit: or is this that thing about using AI to better plan out efficient GPU/CPU/SoC layouts?

That translation is dense as hell so I won't be surprised if I'm taking away the wrong notes haha. Is this suggesting Nvidia is adding an AI virtual assistant to its mobile GPU chips, that could possibly translate to Drake having 'Navi' as an assistant?

"Hey Navi, start Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom"
"Hey Navi, what games should I play similar to Animal Crossing?"
"Hey Navi, set a timer to wrap up my game after an hour"

I know it's not a new suggestion but it is interesting to consider, and certainly a differentiating gimmick that the other platform holders don't have yet.

Edit: or is this that thing about using AI to better plan out efficient GPU/CPU/SoC layouts?
I think the DigiTimes article implied that Nvidia's going to provide Nvidia's GPU IP, which has integrated AI hardware (e.g. Tensor cores), to Mediatek, similar to how AMD provides AMD's GPU IP to Samsung (e.g. Exynos 2200).

Neither. This is suggesting - and it appears to be nothing more than a rumor - that MediaTek is going to license GPU tech from Nvidia. If so, it's probably a short term win. Switch alone proved that Nvidia can deliver a lot of GPU perf in a small power envelope, but couldn't make a Tegra chip anyone other than Nintendo and the auto industry wanted to use.

This would leave mobile chip development and flagship phone making to MediaTek, while Nvidia upgraded their architecture for power consumption

I think the DigiTimes article implied that Nvidia's going to provide Nvidia's GPU IP, which has integrated AI hardware (e.g. Tensor cores), to Mediatek, similar to how AMD provides AMD's GPU IP to Samsung (e.g. Exynos 2200).
Neither. This is suggesting - and it appears to be nothing more than a rumor - that MediaTek is going to license GPU tech from Nvidia. If so, it's probably a short term win. Switch alone proved that Nvidia can deliver a lot of GPU perf in a small power envelope, but couldn't make a Tegra chip anyone other than Nintendo and the auto industry wanted to use.

This would leave mobile chip development and flagship phone making to MediaTek, while Nvidia upgraded their architecture for power consumption
Thank you for the clarification! With that in mind, if this rumour is true, essentially it means a little more capital for Nvidia to play with to throw into R&D for a future mobile chip? Nothing here that would necessarily affect Drake's development?

Thank you for the clarification! With that in mind, if this rumour is true, essentially it means a little more capital for Nvidia to play with to throw into R&D for a future mobile chip? Nothing here that would necessarily affect Drake's development?
Nothing happening now can possibly affect Drakes development. Its set in stone, probably even finished at this point.

Even if games render at 1440p I don't anticipate 2560x1440 display output as it's not commonly supported in televisions. Took some time for the PS5 to have this option.

Even if games render at 1440p I don't anticipate 2560x1440 display output as it's not commonly supported in televisions. Took some time for the PS5 to have this option.
I'm not actually aware of any TVs that don't at least support 1440p- even if none come in that resolution, almost every 4K set can at least accept a 1440p input.

Clockspeeds and what not, they're most likely set and we just don't know yet, yeah? It's just RAM that might be the only fluid variable at this point?
If that. Remember Nintendo has been ordering parts for nearly a whole calendar, RAM is probably nailed down, ordered and prepared for production at this point.

The timeline of Nintendo's huge, huge raw materials stockpile and T239's development strongly implies that all can change now is software.

I'm not actually aware of any TVs that don't at least support 1440p- even if none come in that resolution, almost every 4K set can at least accept a 1440p input.
They support 1440p but don't display 1440p. The TV has to upscale the signal.

It's much better to leave that upscale to the console rather than the TV, which is why 1440p output only makes sense for a 1440p monitor.

They support 1440p but don't display 1440p. The TV has to upscale the signal.

It's much better to leave that upscale to the console rather than the TV, which is why 1440p output only makes sense for a 1440p monitor.
I never said anything to contradict that. You're absolutely right, of course.

Clockspeeds and what not, they're most likely set and we just don't know yet, yeah? It's just RAM that might be the only fluid variable at this point?
The SOC is locked in, along with the clockspeeds available. Nintendo will settle on something that balances perf/thermals/battery life, but Nintendo changed the clocks of the Switch after launch with software updates.

RAM amounts live outside the SOC, but the RAM type depends on the memory controller which is baked into the SOC.

Storage is a "both" situation. There are IO controllers baked into the SOC, but there are also PCIe lanes which could be connected to different controllers on the motherboard. One of those will almost definitely be attached to the bluetooth/wifi stack, and another to the controller for GameCards. Most likely the expansion card, and onboard storage protocols are using baked in controllers, with amounts open to change.

ess-oh-see for me.

On another note, a return to the weaknesses of the Series S:

Split-screen co-op tech issues seem to be preventing Larian from being confident in an Series S/X release at this time. The common interpretation is suspecting Microsoft's requirement for S release.
And the main suspect there's... probably still ram, huh.

Wonder how much just one more GDDR6 chip would change things for the Series S. One more chip for 2 GB more capacity. 56 GB/s more bandwidth. Of course, assuming 8 digits worth of Series S units get produced, that's probably an expense in the 9 digits USD range. Probably a fair question to ask through this generation if that is worthwhile.

ess-oh-see for me.

On another note, a return to the weaknesses of the Series S:

Split-screen co-op tech issues seem to be preventing Larian from being confident in an Series S/X release at this time. The common interpretation is suspecting Microsoft's requirement for S release.
And the main suspect there's... probably still ram, huh.

Wonder how much just one more GDDR6 chip would change things for the Series S. One more chip for 2 GB more capacity. 56 GB/s more bandwidth. Of course, assuming 8 digits worth of Series S units get produced, that's probably an expense in the 9 digits USD range. Probably a fair question to ask through this generation if that is worthwhile.

Larian did talk about possible Nintendo support in the past and they said it would depend on better hardware. I wouldn't be surprised to see BG3 on Drake at some point. as for the split screen, I don't know enough to make any guesses as to what kind of problems they face with splitscreen on xbox. if necessary, they could drop it on Drake if need be

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom