• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I don't think that's really the standard we should be using as you're effectively comparing new hardware with one release seven years ago, even though Nintendo's internal devs have kept it quite high generally.

The standards Switch should be held to is what we saw on the PS4/XBONE generation which saw 30fps, inconsident frame pacing, and compromises to match the ambition of the devs. The prescence of pro consoles that gen certainly muddies the water, but they never sold THAt well and most owners of those consoles played on the base consoles.
The past generation was criticized from the get go for its specs. I have no idea what microarchitecture any CPU of any other console uses but the Internet made it its mission 10 years ago to explain to me and everyone else that Jaguar = bad

I'm still not betting on Drake going beyond 500MHz in handheld mode. I'm sticking with Switch clocks for now: 460MHz handheld and 921MHz docked. the Adreno is going to throttle below 680MHz at some point because Android prioritizes the cpu
Docked mode it will be hit 1GHz+, about handheald mode, i think it will be 500MHz+

Last edited:
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
On top of all the usual reasons to disbelieve random people on the Internet, this is a collection of information that no one person (in a position to leak it) would actually know, doubly so if it's a year in advance.

at least as of date, this rumor was before the CMA report, so it doesn't seem like piggybacking on the NSO and platform issue [REDACTED]

But yeah, a graint of salt is recommended
There's no need to piggyback off that since -- even if that's what the CMA document was actually saying -- the next Nintendo system continuing to use NSO and offer the same services is a patently obvious prediction. There's zero chance that doesn't happen.

I'm so tired waiting a more powerful Switch. But playing Fortnite & Overwatch 2 on Switch Lite is a pleasant experience because it's stable 30fps & stable 720p handheld unlike Apex Legend

I'm so tired waiting a more powerful Switch. But playing Fortnite & Overwatch 2 on Switch Lite is a pleasant experience because it's stable 30fps & stable 720p handheld unlike Apex Legend
fortnite with lumen on Drake would be a thing of beauty. I just wonder if they can hit 60fps with it

I've started to come to the realization that I don't really care all that much about power, even if I would like some games to perform better in the end. I'm just not as anal about it and perhaps I'm in the minority in this particular thread. I'm also not that worried about third-party support for the successor, as Nintendo has somewhat proven their worth to them through the Switch and that will only get better once that successor releases. I feel like a huge chunk of the gaming crowd is trying to "rush" Nintendo into releasing new hardware and you hear many of the talking points used against the Switch grow louder and louder as time goes on without any news; like, I get it, but geez...
Not to say that this has happened in this thread, but it's something I've noticed across social media. At this point, I've reached a bit a "Zen" moment, where I'm content (not uncritical, mind you) with what I have with the Switch, I have my dream ports, I'm mostly fine with the games I'm playing on it, and I'm just waiting for the when the successor arrives and with what I've gathered from my two months lurking here, it seems like it will at least be acceptable, specs wise. I'm not sure if I've added anything substantial to the conversation, but eh, just felt like getting my two cents out there, especially since I've been silent for the past few weeks.

Edit: I did not think I'd get this many yeahs.

Last edited:
I feel (almost) alone in being someone who both WANTS a more powerful Switch and... Being perfectly happy with how the Switch is. The core "gimmick" is STILL extremely compelling. It's HANDHELD FALL GUYS. Portable Cities Skylines. GameBoy Color on the TV! It's already almost everything I want, and honestly, while 4K60 is NICE, jumping from 4K60 to 720p30 going from Xbox Series X to Nintendo Switch just doesn't affect my enjoyment enough for me to care. There are already such a tiny minority of games that simply cannot run on the existing hardware that I also want to play.

It's why I'm not nervous about Drake's specs at all. Making games has gotten more scalable and most games released simply don't NEED even all the power of Nintendo Switch to function, mechanically. Switch [REDACTED] will make the pool of possibilities even wider and deeper. And that is what excites me more than the resolution. What Nintendo can DO with that much grunt. They're practically skipping a generation, from the TX1's "7th gen on steroids" to the T239's "9th gen light".

I've started to come to the realization that I don't really care all that much about power, even if I would like some games to perform better in the end. I'm just not as anal about it and perhaps I'm in the minority in this particular thread. I'm also not that worried about third-party support for the successor, as Nintendo has somewhat proven their worth to them through the Switch and that will only get better once that successor releases. I feel like a huge chunk of the gaming crowd is trying to "rush" Nintendo into releasing new hardware and you hear many of the talking points used against the Switch grow louder and louder as time goes on without any news; like, I get it, but geez...
Not to say that this has happened in this thread, but it's something I've noticed across social media. At this point, I've reached a bit a "Zen" moment, where I'm content (not uncritical, mind you) with what I have with the Switch, I have my dream ports, I'm mostly fine with the games I'm playing on it, and I'm just waiting for the when the successor arrives and with what I've gathered from my two months lurking here, it seems like it will at least be acceptable, specs wise. I'm not sure if I've added anything substantial to the conversation, but eh, just felt like getting my two cents out there, especially since I've been silent for the past few weeks.
Geez, same brainwave!

I don't mean to alarm everyone, but it seems that the TotK art book has leaked, so if you're avoiding spoilers, be careful out there.

Honestly, I just want "enough" power and great games. A lot of the power being spent on games these days has shifted more towards fluff in visual quality, like particle effects, trying to hit 4k, etc. It's things that can get toned down without sacrificing the gameplay for the most part. Switch has shown it was capable of running more modern games than Nintendo's prior portables for their time, and it's going to continue on that way with Drake. Reasons for Switch not getting certain games early on was more regarding the doubt in the mind of devs on whether Switch would be successful, so they weren't going to take chances. It didn't turn out that way, so some devs started jumping on board.

I don't mean to alarm everyone, but it seems that the TotK art book has leaked, so if you're avoiding spoilers, be careful out there.
There's only two threads about it on the first page.

Mods can we please ban anyone who brings discussion about it in here?

I'm not saying this is plausible, but heck Smash Ultimate had people leaking details for internet point in the hive of scum and villainy before lest we forget not everyone with inside connections honors NDAs in a careful and guarded fashion.

I'm not saying this is plausible, but heck Smash Ultimate had people leaking details for internet point in the hive of scum and villainy before lest we forget not everyone with inside connections honors NDAs in a careful and guarded fashion.
I feel it's plausible enough simply because it's a solid guess. Not because I believe the poster has inside connections.

On top of all the usual reasons to disbelieve random people on the Internet, this is a collection of information that no one person (in a position to leak it) would actually know, doubly so if it's a year in advance.

There's no need to piggyback off that since -- even if that's what the CMA document was actually saying -- the next Nintendo system continuing to use NSO and offer the same services is a patently obvious prediction. There's zero chance that doesn't happen.
Yeah, on the one hand the leak us not piggybacking about the CMA document, on the other hand the NSO compatibility on the succesor is very likely to happen

The interesting thing about this kind of posts is that sometimes there is real content among all the fake ones. And is fun to comment about them

Last edited:
I feel it's plausible enough simply because it's a solid guess. Not because I believe the poster has inside connections.
My point is that industry people do post on 4chan since it's an anonymous platform and usually while there are things like fake direct dates, fanfiction of upcoming games (Pokemon Sword and Shield having a fanfiction of a fixed match to secure Leon's place as Champion comes to mind) and people posing as industry insiders, there have been cases of accurate if not specific types of leaks that could be more than just a lucky guess.

Keeping in mind this could still be fabricated, sometimes 4chan nets a big fish and only knows it through the gift of hindsight.

considering that the main topics of this thread are when the console will come out and how powerful it will be, I wanted to break the ice and talk about the cartridges of the next console and how many gigabytes it can have.

the Nintendo switch cartridges range from 1 to 32 gigabytes, the 64 gigabyte cartridges on the other hand I don't even know if they were used or even manufactured,
and with the next console it should have heavier games (compared to ps4 and Xbox one) and I was wondering: how many gigabytes will the cartridges of the next console be able to have?
Considering that games go almost 100 gigabytes (there are exceptions of course) it would be assumed that Nintendo will produce cartridges up to 128 gigabytes for the next console.
Of course I don't know the cost of the Nintendo Switch cartridges but it's an interesting point to talk about and hardly anyone was talking about it.

The need for more power has plateaued in the past decade, I feel. The most impressive game out there remains Red Dead Redemption 2 and that runs really pleasantly on an Xbox1, and I'm pretty sure it would still be acceptable on Switch.
It also happens to be a really bad videogame in my opinion, but that's another debate.

Nintendo has developed this incredible reputation for creating these experiences that families can have together, but also really being on the cutting edge of technology and the idea that the two can come together to create something new and something memorable. And so I'm curious if both of you have a particular new kind of creative experience or technology that you have your eyes set on what the future might look like or any other places we might see Mario and his friends pop up in.

Takahashi:
I really don't consider us a cutting-edge company. That's something for tech people, for programmers and whatnot to aspire to. We as a company want to take technology available to us and implement it in games in a way that is easy to use and easy to understand.

Miyamoto: As a company, I think we're always looking for unique uses of technology. We know a lot of different types of technology, but it's really in how we use that in a unique way and then distill that into a product is what I feel Nintendo is adept at. When Mario was created, it became popular and we thought that Mario became popular because it was a fun game. And so we thought that for every introduction of new technology, new ways of doing things, Mario can then evolve alongside that. So for every kind of hardware we've had a new Mario, and it's the same thing within the park. We have AR technology and Mario Kart that's blended together to create this harmony of the actual physical backdrops that are in the physical space and the changing virtual backdrop that's in front of the screen. And I think that's something that has really made this experience a great one. For any future technology that comes, we will assess whether that's best suited for Mario and continue to evolve.

THE FUTURE OF NINTENDO

Over the years, Nintendo has developed a reputation for introducing new ways of play, often through championing new gameplay technologies. This extends back to the Nintendo Entertainment System, with its extensive catalog of games, and through the era of the Wii, which made motion controls mainstream. The Nintendo Switch was another leap, giving people the option to play games on a television or via a handheld console well suited for playing anywhere.

But Miyamoto and Takahashi are careful not to characterize Nintendo as a company of cutting-edge technology, but one that prioritizes simplicity for the user. Technology is a key part of play, hand-in-hand with the ultimate goal of making games enjoyable for anyone to try.

"We, as a company, want to take the tech that's available to us, and implement it in games in a way that is easy to use and easy to understand," Takahashi said.

"I think we're always looking for unique uses of technology," Miyamoto said. "How we use that in a unique way, and then distill that into a product, is what I feel Nintendo is adept at. When Mario was created, it became popular and we thought that really Mario became popular because it was a fun game. And so we thought that for every introduction of new technology, Mario can then evolve alongside that. For every kind of hardware, we've had a new Mario, and in the same vein with the theme park, we have AR technology and Mario Kart that's blended together to create this harmony of the actual physical backdrops that are in the physical space and the changing virtual backdrop that's in front of the screen. And I think that's something that has really made this experience a great one. Going back to Mario, for any future technology that comes out, we'll assess whether that's best suited for Mario and continue to evolve."

As others have said, that would be a suspicious amount of knowledge for one person to have, but I want to specifically call out the inclusion of Sword and Shield as receiving enhancement patches. Sword and Shield are done. Game Freak has moved on. They didn't even bother updating it with new origin marks and strange balls for Legends Arceus and BDSP.

With DLSS ofc
PRESS X TO DOUBT

DLSS works well when upscaling from a higher resolution. If you drop the internal resolution too low, DLSS won't help much. If you upscale from 1080p, it will look fabulous. From 720p ? It's getting meh. From 480p ? That's going too far. 360p ? That's probably what would be needed for Fotnite Lumen at 60fps on Drake, if we are being optimistic.

The next gen consoles also use reconstruction techniques (in this case, TSR, it's like FSR but the "we have x at home" version). They are not rendering at 4K, they are rendering quite lower.
You have to remember that on the Xbox Series X the internal res can drop as low as 864p. On Series X, not S.

Series S can drop as low as 540p.

In this thread, a common simple guesstimate we have is that Drake can do with DLSS perf what Series S can do native. That's a simplification, but this shows us a problem : ForDrake to run Lumen Fortnite with the same settings as Series S (which already severely cut back from X), we'd have to use 540p DLSS performance mode, which is an internal resolution of 270p.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the TSR overhead, so Series S with no upscale could possibly run consistently higher than 540p; and the settings could be dropped even further. So maybe 360p internal is possible.

Is it possible ? Yes. Is it "ofc" ? No. The sacrifices would be enormous, and just not worth it. So technically Drake can run Fortnite Lumen at 60fps, but...

But we are so preoccupied with whether or not they could that we never stopped to think if they should.

Even if we were to be able to reach 360p internal resolution on Switch... That's ridiculous. I think some games do it on the Switch (I think Wolfenstein ?) But this is new harware, and 360p is already barely tolerable on Switch so on Drake ? And for what anyway ? Cool GI ?

I do forsee Fotnite Lumen on Drake, but NOT at 60fps. Lumen will be reserved to a 30fps mode, with the 60fps mode being the traditional raster.

Last edited:
My issue with the power apologism is that many Switch games don't even meet the standards you could reasonably expect from Nintendo's previous consoles despite the power gaps. Forget third-party ports, which have a valid reason for mediocre image quality and performance due to being targeted at more powerful hardware - I haven't seen Nintendo's own games look this blurry and chug this hard since the N64.
I honestly feel like this is recency bias more than anything.

The Wii was so outdated a few years in that even Nintendo regretted not adopting to HD sooner, tons of their games looked very blurry on the Wii if you were using a contemporary display, and the only reason Wii games didn't chug is that their games became more and more constrained, not less

The Wii U was a technological disaster in terms of loading times, even after the system update, and there were definitely games with inconsistent framerate (Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade X). 3D World's savanna level is still one of the worst things I've seen in a Nintendo game.

The 3DS pretty much kept the same shitty quality resolution throughout its whole life and even started selling deluxe models that blew up its ugly pixel quality as the standard model just a few years in. Not to mention tons of 3DS games did chug, even from Nintendo.

The reality is that we're just more atune to performance and the industry is less consistent with it than it was during the PS2/GC days. But to act like this is a new revelation isn't true.

Another day, another reference to T239 in Nvidia documentation.

I've checked the source, and the referenced partition files don't exist. However, there is a tool for verifying firmware packages before flashing, which has some stubbed out references to T239 and TH500. I've lost the thread on TH500 - is that the Atlan-that-was? Or a separate Grace+Hopper chip?

nintendo always said when new fiscal year start that "there will be no new hardware this fiscal year", interesing what they say now

Last edited:
I honestly feel like this is recency bias more than anything.

The Wii was so outdated a few years in that even Nintendo regretted not adopting to HD sooner, tons of their games looked very blurry on the Wii if you were using a contemporary display, and the only reason Wii games didn't chug is that their games became more and more constrained, not less

The Wii U was a technological disaster in terms of loading times, even after the system update, and there were definitely games with inconsistent framerate (Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade X). 3D World's savanna level is still one of the worst things I've seen in a Nintendo game.

The 3DS pretty much kept the same shitty quality resolution throughout its whole life and even started selling deluxe models that blew up its ugly pixel quality as the standard model just a few years in. Not to mention tons of 3DS games did chug, even from Nintendo.

The reality is that we're just more atune to performance and the industry is less consistent with it than it was during the PS2/GC days. But to act like this is a new revelation isn't true.
GameBoy can barely display Mario and a Paragoomba without chugging.

NES would become a flickery mess with too many sprites.

Star Fox for SNES. Enough said.

Pilotwings 64.

Super Mario Sunshine.

Performance issues are present in every generation of Nintendo game, not just the ones where they gave up on the console race.

That said I think the lambasting of 3DS is a little unfair - 240p is the same resolution as a split screen section at 480p, and since GameCube and N64 were actually 480i, really you're looking at more pixels on 3DS than you were in split-screen Double Dash.

The past generation was criticized from the get go for its specs. I have no idea what microarchitecture any CPU of any other console uses but the Internet made it its mission 10 years ago to explain to me and everyone else that Jaguar = bad
yeah the cpus were poor, which actually helped Switch because a single core of the Switch's A57 at 1Ghz was essentially the same perf as a jaguar core running at 1.8Ghz. What is holding Switch back on PS4/XBONE ports on the CPU front is lack of threads. Switch as 4 threads (3 for the game 1 for OS) for games Xbone/ PS4 has 8 (6-7? for games).

yeah the cpus were poor, which actually helped Switch because a single core of the Switch's A57 at 1Ghz was essentially the same perf as a jaguar core running at 1.8Ghz. What is holding Switch back on PS4/XBONE ports on the CPU front is lack of threads. Switch as 4 threads (3 for the game 1 for OS) for games Xbone/ PS4 has 8 (6-7? for games).
Thats why its very important that AC78C will be have good clocks, current consoles have really good CPUs

A next-gen patch for MK8D would be kind of hilarious, I wonder if it would be an 8-player splitscreen mode for 4K TVs.

A Sword & Shield patch also sounds kind of weird

I hope it's all true but believe none of it 🙃
4 player 4k 60fps support might be possible (maybe with DLSS to get both). The 60 frames matter more to me than the resolution.
1GHz A57 was definitely not equivalent to 1.8 GHz Jaguar. It was closer to 1 to 1 per GHz.

Btw potential what clocks are need to be 4teraflops in docked and 2teraflops in handheald?
~1.3 GHz docked and half of that for 2 tflops (650 GHz), on 12 SMs Drake.

PRESS X TO DOUBT

DLSS works well when upscaling from a higher resolution. If you drop the internal resolution too low, DLSS won't help much. If you upscale from 1080p, it will look fabulous. From 720p ? It's getting meh. From 480p ? That's going too far. 360p ? That's probably what would be needed for Fotnite Lumen at 60fps on Drake, if we are being optimistic.

The next gen consoles also use reconstruction techniques (in this case, TSR, it's like FSR but the "we have x at home" version). They are not rendering at 4K, they are rendering quite lower.
You have to remember that on the Xbox Series X the internal res can drop as low as 864p. On Series X, not S.

Series S can drop as low as 540p.

In this thread, a common simple guesstimate we have is that Drake can do with DLSS perf what Series S can do native. That's a simplification, but this shows us a problem : ForDrake to run Lumen Fortnite with the same settings as Series S (which already severely cut back from X), we'd have to use 540p DLSS performance mode, which is an internal resolution of 270p.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the TSR overhead, so Series S with no upscale could possibly run consistently higher than 540p; and the settings could be dropped even further. So maybe 360p internal is possible.

Is it possible ? Yes. Is it "ofc" ? No. The sacrifices would be enormous, and just not worth it. So technically Drake can run Fortnite Lumen at 60fps, but...

But we are so preoccupied with whether or not they could that we never stopped to think if they should.

Even if we were to be able to reach 360p internal resolution on Switch... That's ridiculous. I think some games do it on the Switch (I think Wolfenstein ?) But this is new harware, and 360p is already barely tolerable on Switch so on Drake ? And for what anyway ? Cool GI ?

I do forsee Fotnite Lumen on Drake, but NOT at 60fps. Lumen will be reserved to a 30fps mode, with the 60fps mode being the traditional raster.
as an example, here's fortnite running at 540p on a Vega 8 at 2GHz at 30fps. Drake will have over a thousand more cores, but less than half the clock speed

Another day, another reference to T239 in Nvidia documentation.

I've checked the source, and the referenced partition files don't exist. However, there is a tool for verifying firmware packages before flashing, which has some stubbed out references to T239 and TH500. I've lost the thread on TH500 - is that the Atlan-that-was? Or a separate Grace+Hopper chip?
This is from 34.1, which was released in April 2022; the documentation's last updated date is May 20, 2022.

Also, wouldn't you know it, the 35.1 and 35.2 versions of this page remove the reference to T239. So IMO this is the same as the mention of GA10F in the Drive documentation, an error due to T239 work being merged into some public/upstream trees, which referred to files that didn't exist, and couldn't exist because T239 wasn't actually released -- something you were able to verify this time, but I'm certain would also apply to the supposed GA10F pipeline cache file in Drive -- and which was removed once they noticed the error.

What I am saying is that a console should not be compared against some spec or another, but against its target output. In the case of the Switch, that is 720p@30fps portable (or 60, I'm just putting the lowest target). The docked image is supposed to be a bit better to not look bad on televisions, but docked performance was never the point of the console.

Relative to this target, videogames on Switch perform considerably worse than 3ds games or Wii games did. I'm ignoring the WiiU as that was a failed console with a first party developer that mostly put out small scale projects because of its struggles with HD development. the user you were responding to was right.

My point is that industry people do post on 4chan since it's an anonymous platform and usually while there are things like fake direct dates, fanfiction of upcoming games (Pokemon Sword and Shield having a fanfiction of a fixed match to secure Leon's place as Champion comes to mind) and people posing as industry insiders, there have been cases of accurate if not specific types of leaks that could be more than just a lucky guess.

Keeping in mind this could still be fabricated, sometimes 4chan nets a big fish and only knows it through the gift of hindsight.

One of my favorite leaks of all time is the anon writing: "Uhm, I work at E3 and here's the list of videogames Nintendo is going to announce for the Switch" and the entire thread clowning on them for putting Street Fighter II on the list

Last edited:
There have been more than a few posts expressing frustration with the Switch's video quality, and some seem to be considering the OLED model as a stopgap. If you do play in handheld mode at least occasionally, from my experience it is a worthwhile upgrade. However, if you are mostly a stationary player, I'd recommend a daisy-chain of mClassic and 4K Gamer Pro instead of the OLED. It isn't exactly a "Switch Pro" replacement, but can give your Switch video an instant facelift. Here's the setup:
  1. Switch dock
  2. mClassic dongle
    • Apply anti-aliasing, plus some processing; can be turned on/off
    • For certain retro pixel titles, or very blurry games, I'd disable it (no need for AA)
  3. [Optional] 1080p EDID emulator (example)
    • If your TV/monitor supports 1440p, mClassic will upscale the video to 1440p, which 4K Gamer Pro will then pass through—we don't want this. By adding an 1080p EDID emulator in between, you'd force mClassic not to upscale.
    • If your TV/monitor doesn't support 1440p, you don't need this.
  4. 4K Gamer Pro dongle
    • Upscale to 4K, plus some processing; provide 4 levels (off, low, medium, high)
    • Since we're daisy-chaining, I set it to low to avoid over-processing.
    • When the mClassic is turned off (see above), I'd set it to medium (high is a bit much for me).
    • There's a cheaper 4K Gamer+ model; it doesn't have the low/mid/high setting, only on/off
  5. TV or monitor
A cheap setup this isn't, but still lower than buying an OLED. You may also use it with other devices; I use mine with an RX 580, and Raspberry Pi. Both dongles are frequently discounted online, and you may be lucky enough to score a used unit (I got my mClassic on eBay). Lastly, if your TV/monitor can upscale exceptionally well, you may not need 4KGP but only mClassic.
Here are some sample videos (not mine) of the combined output from mClassic + 4KGP. Important notes:
  • They could be using 4KGP's high setting, which may or may not be to your taste
  • The 1080p comparison clip below is direct feed and thus too clean. My TV and monitor are not good at upscaling, therefore 1080p IRL looks much blurrier than the comparison clip. YMMV though.
Set the following videos to 2160p, and watch them in fullscreen:

Luigi's Mansion 3 (before and after)

Breath of the Wild (after)

MK8D, Odyssey, and Bowser's Fury (after)

The 3DS's 240p screen due to being 3D was rough.

The 3D was one of the bigger hardware disasters in gaming history.

Though the RRoD, Cell, and Blu-ray drive obviously surpass it.
I still have dreams of a timeline where 3DS was 480p, or even 360p

That would have helped a lot imo, especially on the XL models' bigger screens

There have been more than a few posts expressing frustration with the Switch's video quality, and some seem to be considering the OLED model as a stopgap. If you do play in handheld mode at least occasionally, from my experience it is a worthwhile upgrade. However, if you are mostly a stationary player, I'd recommend a daisy-chain of mClassic and 4K Gamer Pro instead of the OLED. It isn't exactly a "Switch Pro" replacement, but can give your Switch video an instant facelift. Here's the setup:
  1. Switch dock
  2. mClassic dongle
    • Apply anti-aliasing, plus some processing; can be turned on/off
    • For certain retro pixel titles, or very blurry games, I'd disable it (no need for AA)
  3. [Optional] 1080p EDID emulator (example)
    • If your TV/monitor supports 1440p, mClassic will upscale the video to 1440p, which 4K Gamer Pro will then pass through—we don't want this. By adding an 1080p EDID emulator in between, you'd force mClassic not to upscale.
    • If your TV/monitor doesn't support 1440p, you don't need this.
  4. 4K Gamer Pro dongle
    • Upscale to 4K, plus some processing; provide 4 levels (off, low, medium, high)
    • Since we're daisy-chaining, I set it to low to avoid over-processing.
    • When the mClassic is turned off (see above), I'd set it to medium (high is a bit much for me).
    • There's a cheaper 4K Gamer+ model; it doesn't have the low/mid/high setting, only on/off
  5. TV or monitor
A cheap setup this isn't, but still lower than buying an OLED. You may also use it with other devices; I use mine with an RX 580, and Raspberry Pi. Both dongles are frequently discounted online, and you may be lucky enough to score a used unit (I got my mClassic on eBay). Lastly, if your TV/monitor can upscale exceptionally well, you may not need 4KGP but only mClassic.
Here are some sample videos (not mine) of the combined output from mClassic + 4KGP. Important notes:
  • They could be using 4KGP's high setting, which may or may not be to your taste
  • The 1080p comparison clip below is direct feed and thus too clean. My TV and monitor are not good at upscaling, therefore 1080p IRL looks much blurrier than the comparison clip. YMMV though.
Set the following videos to 2160p, and watch them in fullscreen:

Luigi's Mansion 3 (before and after)

Breath of the Wild (after)

MK8D, Odyssey, and Bowser's Fury (after)

I run this same exact setup. For me it's been great to remove the softness I typically associate with playing Switch games on a big screen. It also works wonders on my Wii U (including original Wii titles).

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom