• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

and why did SDEV have the port? maybe for the Wii Classic Controller?
Well, this site alleges that the SDEV hardware shipped with a Classic Controller Pro, which is wild, since those controllers haven't been in production since 2014, so they must have had a fair bit of used, refurbed or unsold controllers kicking around to re-purpose.

With how low the activity has been in this channel for the past week, it really does feel like all hope is lost for Tears of the Kingdom simultaneous launch...
I think if that's happening, we're probably looking at an announcement in the next couple weeks.
The runway for that has pretty much ended. A few months of manufacturing time are needed, and Nintendo has announced every Switch model (including the original) before manufacturing began. And you wouldn't expect the time from reveal to release of a major upgrade to be shorter than it was for previous revisions.

If anyone's holding out hope, then I guess you should hope to hear some news this week from the forum uncle who speculated mass production* could begin after Lunar New Year, since that weeklong holiday ends this weekend.

* Of... something? Wasn't clear if they were talking about a console or just a part, or if we'll find out it was a colorway again.
Switch Lite was announced just over 2 months out, so early March is probably the hard deadline.

I'm definitely here for the weird nintendo wired controller port lore
Unfortunately, that's all I got. But if you haven't seen it, you might be interested in this video on said 3DS hardware:

Edit: Yes, somehow he and the editor were both unaware of the Classic Controller Pro.

Well, this site alleges that the SDEV hardware shipped with a Classic Controller Pro, which is wild, since those controllers haven't been in production since 2014, so they must have had a fair bit of used, refurbed or unsold controllers kicking around to re-purpose.
Do you have a source for out of production, or just out of retail channels? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept factory lines open for it in limited capacities.

Unfortunately, that's all I got. But if you haven't seen it, you might be interested in this video on said 3DS hardware:

Edit: Yes, somehow he and the editor were both unaware of the Classic Controller Pro.

Do you have a source for out of production, or just out of retail channels? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept factory lines open for it in limited capacities.

The not knowing about the Classic Controller Pro thing always really stuck out at me in this video. Like, he definitely has a PC bias, but like, it wasn't exactly a low profile release. One was even included in the infamous Wii version of Goldeneye.

I don't, but it makes sense, since the better solution than keeping production open long enough to be in dev kits 2 years later would be refurbed Wii U and/or Switch Pro Controllers without batteries to function in a wired-only capacity (which can be done apparently).

Any new news?
With how low the activity has been in this channel for the past week, it really does feel like all hope is lost for Tears of the Kingdom simultaneous launch...
Nah, Ninjas are just doing their job and keeping the peace.

Switch Lite was announced just over 2 months out, so early March is probably the hard deadline.
There's a tight turnaround from announcement to launch, but if we're expecting a mid-May launch to coincide with TotK, less than 3 months seems untenable. So if there's nothing announced by mid-February, the dream of a May launch is dead. But still, that's half a month to go.
Where I disagree with LiC is that they will not begin to manufacture until the product is announced.

I don't, but it makes sense, since the better solution than keeping production open long enough to be in dev kits 2 years later would be refurbed Wii U and/or Switch Pro Controllers without batteries to function in a wired-only capacity (which can be done apparently).
There were like, three years between the Smash 4 and Ultimate GameCube controller runs. Perhaps a controller is just something they can spin up fast?

I'm also not aware of any USB mode for the Wii U pro controller; AFAIK, it's wireless only. The Switch wired controller driver wasn't done until after the Switch launched, either.

Where I disagree with LiC is that they will not begin to manufacture until the product is announced.
I didn't say that's what I thought they would do. Although it's obviously not impossible for manufacturing to technically start first when we're talking about a timeline of both announcement and production happening in the next two weeks. There's no point in holding off on mass production until the literal day of an announcement, just close to it.

Maybe they reused old controllers to prevent the new Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Con from being leaked?

There were like, three years between the Smash 4 and Ultimate GameCube controller runs. Perhaps a controller is just something they can spin up fast?

I'm also not aware of any USB mode for the Wii U pro controller; AFAIK, it's wireless only. The Switch wired controller driver wasn't done until after the Switch launched, either.
It's not USB mode capable to my knowledge, but the WiiU Pro Controller does function without a battery in it when plugged in, at the bare minimum. But SDEV hardware has BT in it, so...
Maybe they reused old controllers to prevent the new Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Con from being leaked?
... this sounds plausible.

Last edited:
Errrm…!? You CAN leave it in the dock, and Voilà!! Home Console... 🙄😏
and you can buy a laptop and use it as a desktop , but why to do that if you are not going to use it as one and when can buy the same specs for less without the battery , screen , dock etc which you wont use ? the cheapest M2 Mac Book is $1000 while Mac Mini with the same specs is $600 , and there is a market for both .

I see a TV only model the same way as I see the Lite model: just a cheaper option for those who are interested on what the device offers. That's the advantage over the hybrid, and that's it.

Obviously, the hybrid should continue to be their priority though.
exactly .. TV Only Switch Model "if Nintendo decided to release one" will be either cheaper alternative or more powerful console , and if it is this or that i agree with you that the Hybrid Switch will stay the main one.

I think if that's happening, we're probably looking at an announcement in the next couple weeks.

Switch Lite was a member of the Switch family, not a successor. Such short notice for a new console would be too strange.

It has unfortunately been rather depressing as of late after the previous week's revelations. I feel a lot of people probably lost all hope on it launching in May, it does feel that way at this stage.

That being said I'm camp 2023, this thing will be announced at E3 if it doesn't launch in May and it will release Holliday 2023. Any other date for it whether early 2024 or something unfathomably ridiculous as early 2025 is all too absurd for me to think about. Nintendo will be undermining Switch 2 waiting that long, I don't believe it to be a possible option worth thinking about in my personal opinion.

It's either 2023 or bust with me, it makes the most logical sense to launch it this year given what we know about it. Nintendo will Nintendo otherwise if they really coast on this way too long.

Switch Lite was a member of the Switch family, not a successor. Such short notice for a new console would be too strange.
Never such a thing as "too strange" with Nintendo.

As for this device, we don't necessarily know for certain it isn't in the "Nintendo Switch family of systems".

iPhone 14 Pro is in the iPhone family of devices, after all.

Never such a thing as "too strange" with Nintendo.

As for this device, we don't necessarily know for certain it isn't in the "Nintendo Switch family of systems".

iPhone 14 Pro is in the iPhone family of devices, after all.
I feel like Nintendo somewhat deviated from Iwata's ideas for the NX, or an upgrade would have been released years ago. I believe Drake will be marketed as more of a traditional next gen console.

Only saw the PS TV in the flesh for the first time recently, hadn't realised quite how tiny it is, about the same as 2 joy-cons duct taped together.

But the resource pipeline for the current board includes ICs that would have no use in such a device, it’d be literally wasted silicon. And you can’t just pop ICs off the board and have it work the same. Between the dock and console, I count 10 ICs at least that could be removed (all related to USB-C multi-function port or the battery) and replaced with one HDMI out. This is what I mean by the hybrid being more complex to design, it needs all those chips to do what it does as a hybrid with a single USB-C port for power, video and accessory passthrough from the dock. Save those ICs for the other models.
I have seen many cases of consumer hardware including unused parts from other models cause the removal or reengineering and the administrative cost would be more expensive then the chips even on a big scale, but for sure i did not look into the specific amount of ics and how costly those would be. There for sure is a chance that the cost of them just is high enough that redeveloping a new board and producing it would be the better choice.
You’ve presented some edge cases that I don’t believe Nintendo would care about.

First, if someone’s in the market for a controller, they’re either (in descending order of likelihood) going to buy the controller because it’s still cheaper than a $100-120 console they don’t need, or they buy the console to put in another room of their home as you say (which… more opportunities for engagement with their product and ecosystem in a single household AND still making money? Nintendo says “yes please”).

I'm... really unsure what "investment" is being made here. You mean as a collectible sealed in box? Yeah, that's not unique to any piece of hardware.
It oh, im sure that it would be an edge case, thats for sure not the hill i wanna die on. I could see many buying the bundle and selling consoles on craigslist or ebay, but it would not be in the 10k's.
"investment" was a little sarcastic remark, mostly cause i am looking at the used console market here, and outside of ps2, wii and ds most of them did increase in price compared to the lowest the console was sold. (3DS / Ps4 / gba / gba micro)
A 3DS thats well kept is 150€ (more special ones 200-250), only really busted / scruffed ones are <150€. ps4s in the base configuration, not the slim or pro are 250, sometimes 200. But thats off topic, not really contributing to my argument.
One thing i will say: with increased complexity the lingevity of consoles reduced. i could see many switches having problems 10-15 years from now, where GB(A)s, ps2s and wii where still fine. But thats just an subjective assessment, i don't have data based evidence.

And no, i would not need to resell with a controller, if some switch has died. Then he just needs a switch. (edge case, i know i know)
And this is without mentioning that they could slap a 20hr Joycon battery in a Pro controller shell instead and it's suddenly a less desirable option than buying a Pro controller to begin with.
Sounds like a horror in regards to PR and communication to the consumer.
Tug on the threads of this idea even a little and the whole notion that it merits any significant concern unravels.
im not 100% convinced that the Synergetik benefits of ONLY having to add a new housing to the pipeline would be that weak compared to a redeveloped product, but im also not arguing that i am right, just that i see both as possibilities that could be a way to do it and have their own benefits. the whole "not to close to controller price" is a point i willingly give to you, it just feels weird to me (and could get consumers to ask why the console itself is only so much worth), but you're right that from their perspective it would not be a negative, or not one they would care about.
Nintendo has a long-standing habit of not re-engineering parts if they don't have to, especially if they have extra parts laying around that can be re-purposed. See example: Pro Controller using a 3DS battery, which has the added benefit of keeping production of that battery open for existing 3DS users as long as possible.
Jep.
Thats kind of the logic im operating on (i know, different case/scenario).
But nintendo is good in reusing stuff where nothing new is needed and not needlessly over complicating products. (except if they are called Wii U...)

Switch Advance speculation in this. prepare for doom

I don‘t really see doom in that. Like Alex says, it seems really hard to judge what the performance of the next Switch will be. I mean it will probably technically be stronger than the Steam Deck in certain aspects but for example it will never have 16GB of Ram or likely not clock the CPU as high to save on Battery Life and possibility to have a more slim design.

I feel like Nintendo‘s target is to run their games in 1080p natively when in TV mode (4K with DLSS), so they will use already a lot of resources for that. On the other hand unlike to the Deck the games will natively run on it, so we could see some miracle ports that run way better than on Steam Deck.

I don‘t really see doom in that. Like Alex says, it seems really hard to judge what the performance of the next Switch will be. I mean it will probably technically be stronger than the Steam Deck in certain aspects but for example it will never have 16GB of Ram or likely not clock the CPU as high to save on Battery Life and possibility to have a more slim design.

I feel like Nintendo‘s target is to run their games in 1080p natively when in TV mode (4K with DLSS), so they will use already a lot of resources for that. On the other hand unlike to the Deck the games will natively run on it, so we could see some miracle ports that run way better than on Steam Deck.
it was tongue in cheek. I haven't actually gotten to that part since I like to watch these in order

Seems like Alex also was usuming it would be 8nm, since he said it would be a worse process than the steam deck.

I agree I didn't see any doom in those comments.

now that I finally watched the switch portion, DF really doesn't have a lot to go on as far as discussion goes. anything that'd be meaty would get its own article/video and there's nothing to imply that it's coming soon

I think we have a two weeks window starting on monday. I'm not holding my breath on it, but it seems less likely by the day.

IF Switch 2 was initially planned for a simultaneous release with ToTk in May, and they delayed it.. They must really want to maximize switch sales and hope Totk sells switch units..

So long like a lot of people I see two scenarios now, if May doesn't make it.

Q4 2023 release. Switch 2 gets announced in summer. Perhaps even showcased around E3 time. Releases in November 2023 maybe. Nintendo intends to release TOTK on Switch 2 on release day and gives current switch owners a free upgrade or something like $10 to transfer their saves and play it on Switch 2 at 4k 30fps/1440p 60fps, 1080p 30fps with RT. Maybe a 3D Mario comes out in Q4 as well?

Q1 2024 Release. Switch 2 gets announced in fall and will be released in Q1 2024.

I don't think they would wait that last minute for a full blown Successor 🤔, unless Totk gets pushed back again.

Never say never... But even then, Nintendo doesn't need 16GB of RAM for the target itz powering. SD OS takes up a lot of the RAM. Switch 2 would be perfect with 12 GB, and that's pretty feasible to have two 6 GB chips. More so than two 4GB chips (to make 8GB) at this point. Nintendo has a history of not skimping out on RAM. Bandwidth will at least be faster in docked mode as well. We're all expecting 102 GB/s in docked.. and maybe 88GB/a in handheld to match SD. Truth be told, maybe bandwidth should be lower in handheld? But we have DLSS though 🤔.

while the Switch Advance stuff was pretty uninteresting, the Dead Space segment touched on something that was brought up previously here, and that's the Series S's lack of memory for ray tracing. the devs straight up said the memory was insufficient as did other devs. will be interesting how Nintendo and Nvidia dances around this issue. 12GB with at least 10GB usable for games could be what pushes Drake ahead of the Series S when it comes to RT usage

Rich also
while the Switch Advance stuff was pretty uninteresting, the Dead Space segment touched on something that was brought up previously here, and that's the Series S's lack of memory for ray tracing. the devs straight up said the memory was insufficient as did other devs. will be interesting how Nintendo and Nvidia dances around this issue. 12GB with at least 10GB usable for games could be what pushes Drake ahead of the Series S when it comes to RT usage
Did they specifically say it was the amount, and not the bandwidth that was the problem?

Why would the Switch OS's memory consumption go from 811 MB (plus video capture buffer) on current models to 2 GB on the upgraded one?

Why would the Switch OS's memory consumption go from 811 MB (plus video capture buffer) on current models to 2 GB on the upgraded one?
We have no idea what sort of features they're going to add, so it was just a rough estimate.

edit: the switch OS renders at 720p in docked mode to save on memory. If they increase that to 1080p or above, that's a lot of memory just there.

Last edited:
Quoted by: LiC
We have no idea what sort of features they're going to add, so it was just a rough estimate.

Untitled.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Untitled.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Still, it's fair to assume the memory allocation will increase on Drake. Nobody knows by how much.

But at the very least, they will probably increase rendering resolution in docked mode, and add some new features.

on the topic of resolution. most people will agree 720p is a sweet spot for quality/power at that size but I do believe if the system comes in 2024 or later, chances of it being 1080p go up considerably. seems like 1080/60 will be the target for docked mode (input for DLSS 4k) anyway. maybe the Mini-LED thing could be used as there's no reason why it has to be OLED again. and there's still DLSS for particularly hardcore titles that might be a bit much for 1080/60 handheld, though i'm unsure of the power cost vs native rendering. also operating on the assumption that 1080/60 handheld would require a 5nm Drake (or better) which would almost definitely be the case for a later launch.

Still, it's fair to assume the memory allocation will increase on Drake. Nobody knows by how much.

But at the very least, they will probably increase rendering resolution in docked mode, and add some new features.
I don't know exactly how the Switch system UI is composited to the final image, but I don't see how increasing the resolution would lead to non-trivial growth in memory consumption. At most there's what, a 720p color buffer or two that would need a few more megabytes for 1080p?

I don't know exactly how the Switch system UI is composited to the final image, but I don't see how increasing the resolution would lead to non-trivial growth in memory consumption. At most there's what, a 720p color buffer or two that would need a few more megabytes for 1080p?
The xbox one x allegedly saved 1gb of memory by rendering the OS at 1080p instead of 4k.

Last edited:
don't know. I'm erring on the side of caution. we've already seen games disable OS features for more memory, so it wouldn't be too extreme to see OS allocation increase to prevent this from happening again. 2GB might be much, but it's a nice round number

The xbox one s allegedly saved 1gb of memory by rendering the OS at 1080p instead of 4k.

This article doesn't say they chose to render at 1080p to save memory? It says they originally claimed they needed an extra 1 GB (on the One X compared to the Xbone) to render the UI in 4K, but apparently figured out how to make do without it during development.

I don't know what kind of insane inefficiency it would take to get anywhere close to that kind of increase. The Switch's entire UI is basically programmatic rectangles, a font or two, some small icons, and a handful of portraits for games and Miis.

don't know. I'm erring on the side of caution. we've already seen games disable OS features for more memory, so it wouldn't be too extreme to see OS allocation increase to prevent this from happening again. 2GB might be much, but it's a nice round number
The one OS feature that can be disabled to gain memory is video capture, which only frees up 96 MB, so if an application disables it it's more likely because of processing overhead.

This article doesn't say they chose to render at 1080p to save memory? It says they originally claimed they needed an extra 1 GB (on the One X compared to the Xbone) to render the UI in 4K, but apparently figured out how to make do without it during development.

I don't know what kind of insane inefficiency it would take to get anywhere close to that kind of increase. The Switch's entire UI is basically programmatic rectangles, a font or two, some small icons, and a handful of portraits for games and Miis.
You are right it doesn't say, but the One X dashboard does render at 1080p.

Anyway you are probably right about the Switch OS.

I think it's reasonable to think it'll have more features, probably captures higher resolution screenshots and videos, and display the home menu in 1080-1440p, which altogether would definitely push it closer to 2GB than 0.8GB.

Perhaps they bump recording time to 60 seconds or even add a higher quality 1080p option
That would certainly increase memory footprint.
I’d like that and a higher resolution menu.
Maybe in 20 years we’ll get themes

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom