• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Its really weird that CoD skipped Switch of all things.
Even BLOPS2 was a hit on WiiU.
The reason cod skipped Switch is mostly because Nintendo didn’t pay or tried making a deal about making a Switch cod game.

Also the CEO of activision mentioning he regretted not making a cod Switch port.

It’s probably one of the main reasons Microsoft made a deal with Nintendo to port all future games for the Switch platforms.

Edit: Which bring the point of bigger third party support, since majority of them missed out on a huge install base, heck RE6 sold 1.4 million on the Switch, which probably took Capcom a half eaten hot dog to make.

Edit: Which bring the point of bigger third party support, since majority of them missed out on a huge install base, heck RE6 sold 1.4 million on the Switch, which probably took Capcom a half eaten hot dog to make.
This is another reason why I think the switch 2's gonna have realy good 3rd party support

Nintendo built a audience with the switch thats willing to try n buy anything u throw at them

The reason cod skipped Switch is mostly because Nintendo didn’t pay or tried making a deal about making a Switch cod game.

Also the CEO of activision mentioning he regretted not making a cod Switch port.

It’s probably one of the main reasons Microsoft made a deal with Nintendo to port all future games for the Switch platforms.

Who knows.. It was probably mutual. Though Nintendo would love to take as many third party ports as they can.

Really hard to say if it was a technical issue like CPU, or storage size, or down disagreement with online DRM stuff. Or a combination. I'm sure a 30fps cod would have been possible (hell we got cod games on Wii ported when games were out on 360/PS4), but whether either wanted it.. Who knows.. But there there are older ports we could have gotten

We could have easily gotten a cod mobile port, even if battle royale ends up as 30fps, and the other multiplayer ports are 60fps.

So, I use my Switch 95% of the time in portable mode. I don't have any complaints about the sound quality or volume level on my Switch OLED.

But, how do you think Nintendo could improve the speakers on the Switch 2?

I just popped on here to ask about speakers. 😳 Get out of my head!

But seriously tho, has shipping data said anything on speakers? Has there been any major breakthroughs in mobile speaker technology in the last few years?

But the biggest problem with Switch 2 getting COD was never graphical performance, it's file size.
assets will be cut down in size, so not really

EDIT: actually looking it up, the reason for CoD's large file size is because it reuses assets from previous games, which are deleteable. since Drake doesn't have these games, the size will be much smaller anyway

20231102165340-1698945637579.jpg

20231102165345-1698945641920.jpg

But the biggest problem with Switch 2 getting COD was never graphical performance, it's file size.
Some porting studio will somehow make it work.

Also there’s always the chance of requiring download code for the physical release.

With the PS5 version of MW3 being 140GB, there’s always a chance that the Switch 2 will be 60-100GB.

But I’m more curious with how much the Switch 2 cartridge will hold, since I’m guessing there must have been some sort of breakthrough for it to at least hold 64GB.

I’m saying that most big publishers are still doing cross gen. (Heck Yakuza and persona 3 were cross gen and even RE4 remake)

Like COD still getting PS4 support is pretty crazy to think about.

Like from everything we’re hearing from the Switch 2, it’s pretty much a suped up PS4 pro with modern architecture that will almost reach Series s level with DLSS.
That's... Not true? A "suped up PS4 Pro with modern architecture" would be... Above the Series S in raw performance? If you gave such a device DLSS it would trade post-upcale punches with PS5, not Series S.

Why do people forget Series S and PS4 Pro have the same FLOP count and the Switch successor has a more modern architecture than both. I don't think it'll quite scrape Series S in raw performance in TV mode, but given what we know we would be expecting it to hit higher resolutions after DLSS, not the same. At least for most games. Sacrifices would be present in other areas, no doubt, but benefits in realms like RT. It's not a portable Series S, but it's in that performance category, better in some areas, worse in others.

Cross gen isn't that relevant to the Switch successor, it'll be more or less over by launch, too.

Framing the device as last gen or reliant on it isn't merely dimly pessimistic, it's inaccurate.

Meanwhile, COD is a non-issue. They are contractually obligated to release it on a Nintendo system for years to come. Why would there be any doubt, or question? Any relevance of PS4?

I'm not sure why it's a debate if Blops 6 will be on Switch 2.

-Switch 2 will be around Series S power
  • Nintendo and Microsoft have made a 10 year deal to bring COD to Switch platforms
  • Activision CEO himself said he deeply regrets not bringing COD to Switch

Switch 2 will be getting COD.

No more "but file size" talk.

That's... Not true? A "suped up PS4 Pro with modern architecture" would be... Above the Series S in raw performance? If you gave such a device DLSS it would trade post-upcale punches with PS5, not Series S.

Why do people forget Series S and PS4 Pro have the same FLOP count and the Switch successor has a more modern architecture than both. I don't think it'll quite scrape Series S in raw performance in TV mode, but given what we know we would be expecting it to hit higher resolutions after DLSS, not the same. At least for most games. Sacrifices would be present in other areas, no doubt, but benefits in realms like RT. It's not a portable Series S, but it's in that performance category, better in some areas, worse in others.
Thanks for the correction, also i never knew the series s had the same Tflops as the PS4 Pro, i always thought that it had more.
Framing the device as last gen or reliant on it isn't merely dimly pessimistic, it's inaccurate.
I mean isn’t it technically last gen device, but with modern architecture, similar to the Switch?
Meanwhile, COD is a non-issue. They are contractually obligated to release it on a Nintendo system for years to come. Why would there be any doubt, or question? Any relevance of PS4?
Seems like it? Like I’m quite surprised Microsoft actually signed the deal, since i remember the 10 year deal, being about that Nintendo will sometime get access to. Cod or get some sort of separate version of cod, but your right.

like I must of missremember the deal.

Also thanks for the well worded response as usual 🙏

isn’t it technically last gen device, but with modern architecture, similar to the Switch?
No, and this wasn't true for Nintendo Switch either. Xbox 360 could not run Tears of the Kingdom nor The Witcher 3. Nintendo Switch is a Gen 8 system that struggles with resolution. The successor is even closer to its home console counterparts, with even more features and upscaling to make up for the possible resolution penalty of mobile hardware speeds.

Seems like it? Like I’m quite surprised Microsoft actually signed the deal, since i remember the 10 year deal, being about that Nintendo will sometime get access to. Cod or get some sort of separate version of cod, but your right.
Given Nintendo's present tendency to deliver the most performance they can in a handheld, based on the Switch's capabilities in 2017 and the successor's in the landscape of 2025, I would be very surprised if the nature of that deal wasn't for Nintendo to get the SAME COD as the other consoles, every year. The risk is there, but what's the point? There's no benefit in developing a separate game for the Switch successor when it's almost always going to be cheaper to scale the existing game down- if it has to be scaled at all, relative to Series S it likely wouldn't, and would just have a different mix of settings.

Also thanks for the well worded response as usual 🙏
No problem, though I realise my language can also come across as rather grating sometimes. I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just usually rather blunt. Do let me know if it's ever a bit much. 😅

No problem, though I realise my language can also come across as rather grating sometimes. I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just usually rather blunt. Do let me know if it's ever a bit 😅
Nah, it’s all part of the discussion and you’ve always made some excellent points and you’re always optimistic, which is something that’s great to have, when it comes to talking about Nintendo hardware.

Overall continue being you.

I brought this up as a possible stumbling block a while back, but the more i think about it the less it makes sense.

Series S only has 512 GB with 360 GB usable. Switch's 256 GB with the same ratio of usable memory would put it at around 180 GB; but likely more could be usable since around 80% of Switch's 64/32GB's are usable

There's zero chance Microsoft makes a cod that can't be installed out of the box on a Series S, and I'm unaware of a game that's actually 360 GB in size.
Even a 200 GB cod install could be made to be downloadable into a 256GB Switch 2 day 1 with less bloated (no 4k) assets and targeting the device itself.

Microsoft would not have made a deal if it had no intention of porting those games to Nintendo platforms. In hindsight, my own thoughts initially was misplaced and i'd guess yours is too.

I'm going to make a lame prediction that Switch 2 COD will be around 50-100GB with optional installs

I'm not sure why it's a debate if Blops 6 will be on Switch 2.

-Switch 2 will be around Series S power
  • Nintendo and Microsoft have made a 10 year deal to bring COD to Switch platforms
  • Activision CEO himself said he deeply regrets not bringing COD to Switch

Switch 2 will be getting COD.

No more "but file size" talk.
ditto. I agree.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 2 is the one we already have rumblings about. Imo it makes sense for Nintendo to have Prime Remastered as an appetizer, then go full on with 4(maybe even ditch the 4...) marketing and have both 2 and 3 having remasters as beautiful as MPR.
would be cool if they add an advanced graphics patch for MP1 on switch 2. 4k, better LOD, bring back the removed lighting effects when you shoot,...

Last edited:
I mean isn’t it technically last gen device, but with modern architecture, similar to the Switch?

Sorry to jump into a discussion thread that i'm not involved in, but this grinds my gears.
Switch is not a last gen device. it's based on the maxwell architecture which was later refined into pascal and was featured in 9xx and 10xx series GTX GPUs popular around 2015~2017 ; that's over 10 years removes from PS3/360 GPUs and more modern than even the bases PS4/XBONE GPUs

It's gigaflops undocked is in range for those last gen devices (like the X360) ; but even then you are comparing nvidia architrure to ancient AMD flops from two generations ago.

GPU wish it's a generation ahead, where it lacks in power is CPU. Both the 360/PS3 had overpowered CPUs for the era. But neither had to worry about power consumption. Ironically the Switch CPU if clocked 1.5GHZ would have matched the performance per core of the CPUs in the PS4/XBONE, and the only disadvantage Switch had would have been cores. It only had 4 cores.

Last edited:

Sorry to jump into a discussion thread that i'm not involved in, but this grinds me gears.
Switch is not a last gen device. it's based on the maxwell architecture which was later refined into pascal and was featured in 9xx and 10xx series GTX GPUs popular around 2015~2017 ; that's over 10 years removes from PS3/360 GPUs and more modern than even the bases PS4/XBONE GPUs

It's gigaflops undocked is in range for those last gen devices (like the X360) ; but even then you are comparing nvidia architrure to ancient AMD flops from two generations ago.

GPU wish it's a generation ahead, where it lacks in power is CPU. Both the 360/PS3 had overpowered CPUs for the era. But neither had to worry about power consumption. Ironically the Switch CPU if clocked 1.5GHZ would have matched the performance per core of the CPUs in the PS4/XBONE, and the only disadvantage Switch had would have been cores. It only had 4 cores.

thats correct afaik, switch wasnt underpowered for its time, i think thats because tegra x2 was already available and people thought nintendo could have gone with this one, but thats not always possible, when the designphase was already finished

thats correct afaik, switch wasnt underpowered for its time, i think thats because tegra x2 was already available and people thought nintendo could have gone with this one, but thats not always possible, when the designphase was already finished
Also the Tegra X2's CPU was hot ass. There's a reason that Nvidia just uses standard Arm IP now.

I guess that confirms the whole 3D Mario as a launch title thing. Since all of the other codes were established words or phrases with the word "red" in them ("BigRed" for NSMB2, "RedCarpet" for 3D World, "RedBull" for Mario Run, etc.), I think it's supposed to be read as "spread". That would certainly fit with the idea of it being more of an open world, spread out for you to play in.

I guess that confirms the whole 3D Mario as a launch title thing. Since all of the other codes were established words or phrases with the word "red" in them ("BigRed" for NSMB2, "RedCarpet" for 3D World, "RedBull" for Mario Run, etc.), I think it's supposed to be read as "spread". That would certainly fit with the idea of it being more of an open world, spread out for you to play in.
Nothing about this says 3D Mario, just Mario.

Per The Cutting Room Floor, Red is the codename used for mainline Mario platformers. Odyssey was RedStar.

There isn't a game with the simple "Red" project name, so it doesn't seem like it would be a remake of any sort, but with a prefix like "SP", perhaps.

This... Could be the codename for the next major 3D Mario. That's... Interesting.

Also, codenames for Mario games do carry some meaning. Ocean for Bowser's Fury describes the setting, Secred for Wonder vis-a-vis levels full of secrets, Red Carpet and the theatre aesthetics of 3D World.

SP is short for "special", usually, so I'd hazard a guess of either a collection, or the concept for the game was to be "Special", a-la Smash Bros. Special (Ultimate.), bringing every element of every previous game back. Pure speculation.

Last edited:

Cross gen isn't that relevant to the Switch successor, it'll be more or less over by launch, too.

I don't think TFLOPs is a reliable metric to compare PS4 Pro with the Xbox Series S, let alone the Switch 2. PS4 Pro's GPU is based on GCN 2.0 and the Series S is based on RDNA1 with some backported RDNA2 features, while Switch 2 will most certainly be on Ampere. There's wildly varying architectures here so a 1:1 comparison is not possible. Even with a lower TFLOP count (4.0 vs 4.2), the Series S is actually a lot faster than the PS4 Pro. Therefore the PS4 Pro is a lot slower than the 4.2 TFLOP number might make you think.

As for the Switch 2, we really shouldn't be using TFLOPs to compare with any other console. The best comparison for the Switch 2's performance is the underclocked RTX2050 which DF has already shown to be capable of running pretty much anything as long as it isn't running out of VRAM. Series S falls somewhere in the RX 6400-6500XT range, so the Switch is a lot closer to the Series S than it is to the PS4 Pro. That makes the PS4 Pro slower than both, so he wasn't actually wrong.

Last edited:
would be cool if they add an advanced graphics patch for MP1 on switch 2. 4k, better LOD, bring back the removed lighting effects when you shoot,...
Funny thing about those lighting effects; they're still in the game. It seems like they disabled dynamic lighting on things like beam shots on a room-by-room basis, probably because some areas are heavier on the GPU than others.

but Switch 3 tho...

they do have a new custom CPU in the works, but I think it's more datacenter oriented
Grace also uses standard Arm Neoverse V2 cores. I wouldn't be surprised if their move into consumer Windows ARM SoCs uses standard IP like the Cortex-X series as well.

I don't think using TFLOPs is a reliable metric to compare PS4 Pro with the Xbox Series S, let alone the Switch 2. PS4 Pro's GPU is based on GCN 2.0 and the Series S is based on RDNA1 with some backported RDNA2 features, while Switch 2 will most certainly be on Ampere. There's wildly varying architectures here so a 1:1 comparison is not possible. Even with a lower TFLOP count (4.0 vs 4.2), the Series S is actually a lot faster than the PS4 Pro. Therefore the PS4 Pro is a lot slower than the 4.2 TFLOP number might make you think.

As for the Switch 2, we really shouldn't be using TFLOPs to compare with any other console. The best comparison for the Switch 2's performance is the underclocked RTX2050 which DF has already shown to be capable of running pretty much anything as long as it isn't running out of VRAM. Series S falls somewhere in the RX 6400-6500XT range, so the Switch is a lot closer to the Series S than it is to the PS4 Pro. That makes the PS4 Pro slower than both, so he wasn't actually wrong.

Also Series S has higher clocks. My understanding is that higher clocks beat more cores when it comes to hitting the same TF count, because a GPU has other pieces of hardware that benefit from higher clocks but not from more cores.

Sure it "only" says Mario, but they JUST released a 2D Mario, so it's probably 3D Mario, if it isn't a collection or some such.
The similarity to Mario Wonder's codename (Secred) had me thinking that this could be a sequel or enhanced release, though in the case of the latter I think "Secred-O" would be a more likely codename.

She also mentioned a project called "SilverStar" (Mario Odyssey: "RedStar"), though she said it "was" in development rather than "is". I don't know if the change in tense means anything.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Also Series S has higher clocks. My understanding is that higher clocks beat more cores when it comes to hitting the same TF count, because a GPU has other pieces of hardware that benefit from higher clocks but not from more cores.
Yes, especially at different resolutions. Lower resolutions may not be able to saturate every shader core properly so there's potentially a lot of wasted clock cycles. Fewer shaders at a higher clock can help mitigate this.

The best possible comparison for the Series S is the RX 5300, an OEM card, which needs to be cut down from 22CU to 20CU and the clocks lowered slightly to match the 4.0 TFLOPs number. On the other hand the PS4 Pro's best comparison would be something like the Radeon HD 7970 at 4.3 TFLOPs, which is roughly 20% slower than our modified RX 5300, or 30% slower than a stock RX 5300.

Last edited:
So the news about BLACK OPS6 coming to the Switch 2 will be announced at the Xbox Showcase. BLACK OPS6 will be the first officially confirmed game for the Switch 2(Or the Direct could be held before the Xbox Showcase, so other studios would announce their games coming to the Switch 2 after the Direct.)

Last edited:

I'm still puzzled at how she seemingly overnight have access to codenames of Nintendo projects.

I love speculation but I'm going to be slightly cautious because this isn't the usual type of leak that Midori deals in - I think she's probably being fed info by a different person (people?). I think I saw Midori mention in a series of Q/A tweets she vets the info she's given, I hope she did a pretty thorough job of that.

So I was actually watching one of Rich's videos where he dismantles the Xbox series s, and holy crap I had no idea that thing was actually tiny! I know it's less powerful than the series X, but still it's way smaller than I expected. Which kind of makes it a little bit more disappointing, that had Nintendo still been making full-on consoles and not hybrids, something the size of even the Wii U released in 2025 might have been significantly better than the PS5/XbsX.

Oh what could have been...

So the news about BLACK OPS6 coming to the Switch 2 will be announced at the Xbox Showcase. BLACK OPS6 will be the first officially confirmed game for the Switch 2(Or the Direct could be held before the Xbox Showcase, so other studios would announce their games coming to the Switch 2 after the Direct.)
I don't think anyone said that BO6 for Drake was going to be announced there, just that it will release in early 25

I'm still puzzled at how she seemingly overnight have access to codenames of Nintendo projects.

I love speculation but I'm going to be slightly cautious because this isn't the usual type of leak that Midori deals in - I think she's probably being fed info by a different person (people?). I think I saw Midori mention in a series of Q/A tweets she vets the info she's given, I hope she did a pretty thorough job of that.
An even worse question is what if she is speaking true leaks? Some of this stuff is highly classified information for Nintendo, so them seeing someone on Twitter leak it out without any consideration is going to cause a knife to appear behind their back via a ninja.

I also am pretty suspicious of her sudden knowledge of not just Sega/Atlus material, but Square Enix and Nintendo. If it's all true, it must be some 3rd party support studio working for these companies leaking this information to her. Otherwise she must have a lot of industry friends that just realllly trust her with disclosing critical information all willy nilly

An even worse question is what if she is speaking true leaks? Some of this stuff is highly classified information for Nintendo, so them seeing someone on Twitter leak it out without any consideration is going to cause a knife to appear behind their back via a ninja.

I also am pretty suspicious of her sudden knowledge of not just Sega/Atlus material, but Square Enix and Nintendo. If it's all true, it must be some 3rd party support studio working for these companies leaking this information to her. Otherwise she must have a lot of industry friends that just realllly trust her with disclosing critical information all willy nilly

Yeah, I can imagine that if these are actually legitimate codenames and Nintendo becomes aware of how privy fans are becoming to this stuff it may influence and change the way they codename games in the future.

Regarding a physical CoD BO6 version for the Switch, I wonder if Microsoft can't just put the single-player mode on the cartridge and use an additional download for the multi-player mode. The multi-player mode will receive constant updates anyway. Of course, the game could also just be released as a digital game.

Yeah, I can imagine that if these are actually legitimate codenames and Nintendo becomes aware of how privy fans are becoming to this stuff it may influence and change the way they codename games in the future.
I don't think they'll change their codename process, they're just gonna show up at their development studios like this:

t3hwoG.gif

Last edited:
Series S only has 512 GB with 360 GB usable. Switch's 256 GB with the same ratio of usable memory would put it at around 180 GB; but likely more could be usable since around 80% of Switch's 64/32GB's are usable
I think it is more likely to be around 230 GB.
Hardware manufacturers calculate with “1 GB = 1000 MB”, but software developers calculate with “1 GB = 1024 MB”. There is therefore a simple rule. All you have to do is multiply the size specified by the manufacturer of a product by 0.93. This gives you the actual physical capacity of the memory.

Example: 256 GB * 0.93 = 238 GB

I don't think the Switch's operating system will be as big as the PS5 or Xbox Series S/X. Therefore, I think the Switch 2 will have about 230 GB of usable memory.

The challenge they will have this gen, which is a big one is no COVID boost. No doubt that buoyed the Switch signficantly. For us that might be a positive though because they're probably almost definitely going to have to release a Switch 2 Pro to maintain even a reasonable pace with the Switch 1. You can't manufacture a COVID surge so you have to do something else.
I don't think COVID matters nearly as much as some people think. If we compare something like how DS and Switch were performing compared to each other in their first year, second year, so on, then in 2020 Switch saw a relative boost compared to the year before--but the amount of difference it made was less than 5 million hardware units. The 2021 difference would be even smaller, and I think beyond that any COVID effect would be pretty tiny. So maybe a 5% difference in userbase to this point?
w5Fvk9N.png

The challenge they will have this gen, which is a big one is no COVID boost. No doubt that buoyed the Switch signficantly. For us that might be a positive though because they're probably almost definitely going to have to release a Switch 2 Pro to maintain even a reasonable pace with the Switch 1. You can't manufacture a COVID surge so you have to do something else.

Having said that one advantage that I don't think people fully understand because they're only fixated on hardware, specs, and even games is the movie division I think is going to have an epic impact on Nintendo as a company.

That Zelda movie I think is going to be big, the director is actually good and cares about the IP. The Mario Bros. 2 movie will be a huge event. If they build up to a Smash CG movie ... look out. There's "popular" and then there's "blockbuster movie popular", when you are "blockbuster movie popular" it completely changes your brand. See: Marvel MCU, see Batman 1989, see Barbie this past summer, etc. etc.

Movies are going to drive the popularity of Nintendo's characters in a way that I think some people are not really factoring in. Think of what Iron Man and Captain America and Thor are today versus the B/C tier 20 years ago.
Actually COVID is an interesting point because it’s the reason we don’t have a Switch Pro right now. I honestly think sales might be higher if it weren’t for COVID and we assume a relatively similar growth.

A lot of people still haven’t upgraded from the original Switch to an OLED, it’s very possible they would have if a Switch Pro was released. The screen upgrade wasn’t enough for some people and they’re still just waiting for the new generation.

Now what’s interesting about this is how this might increase Switch 2 sales because the performance leap is going to be such a massive difference compared to the base Tegra.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom