• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I ain't readin all that /j

here's the quote
As we enter Fiscal 2025 with positive momentum, we expect to deliver Net Bookings of $5.55 to $5.65 billion. Our outlook reflects a narrowing of Rockstar Games' previously established window of Calendar 2025 to Fall of Calendar 2025 for Grand Theft Auto VI. We are highly confident that Rockstar Games will deliver an unparalleled entertainment experience, and our expectations for the commercial impact of the title continue to increase. Looking ahead, we believe that our Company is poised to achieve new levels of success, and we expect to deliver sequential growth in Net Bookings for Fiscal 2025, 2026, and 2027. As we deliver our pipeline, we are confident that we will drive our scale, enhance our margins, and deliver industry-leading returns for our shareholders.

There are diminishing returns on improving the technical implementation of the Animal Crossing art style. You cannot just keep increasing detail because it is antithetical to the art style. The pattern seems to be to make the lighting as realistic as the hardware can handle, while keeping the geometry simple (this does not mean low-polygon) and only using high frequency detail on materials that are typically defined by their high frequency detail (like napped fabrics). The villagers will never have individual, fine strands of hair, for instance, because the toy-like hair is a feature of the art style.

If you want to speculate on the upper limits on the Animal Crossing art style, this pre-rendered Smash CG trailer is a good reference to start, and it's even missing some effects from Animal Crossing New Horizons, like the anisotropic highlights on hair:

The point is, it's not that it's not possible to make the tech more sophisticated and complex, it's just that you will eventually reach a point where increasing detail for the sake of increasing detail will diverge from the intended style. You can certainly keep "improving" it, but you're not really supposed to once it looks exactly like the ground truth art.

Was this Thunderful Group press release already posted? (searched but came up empty)

Screenshot-2024-05-16-225859.png

I guess it doesn't say much, but at least we are starting to see Switch NeXT being mentioned in press releases?
I don't think it was discussed, but it doesn't seem like there's much to talk about here? They seem about as clueless to Switch 2 release timing as we are

I don't think it was discussed, but it doesn't seem like there's much to talk about here? They seem about as clueless to Switch 2 release timing as we are
I think the point is primarily knowing that companies feel more at ease talking about the system, so we can at least know what might be coming (not necessarily when)

the positive is that Mario won't get undermined in the first half of 2025, but i'm curios if 2025 release date is even possible, since rockstar are notorious with delaying a game.

But it seems like the next year will be huge for gaming.
another year where Mario isn't the consensus GOTY choice 😭

Not sure that you can use DLSS and FSR 3.1 concurrently. They both use data from previous frames, but go about it differently. They also have their own individual rendering time cost. So my assumption is its one or the other, but not both. FSR 1.0 is just a spatial scaler, no previous frame data, and that could be used after DLSS. We know FSR 1.0 does well with scaling a 1440p image to 4k, and DLSS frame time looks viable at 1440p. In theory, this combination would work. DLSS reconstruct to 1440p and FSR 1.0 scales to 4K. FSR 1.0 has almost zero rendering time cost and should be a bit better than a traditional scaling method done by the console or TV.
what they mean is FSR Frame Gen and DLSS Super Resolution, which is what's now possible thanks to FSR-FG's update.

it's best for people specify FG and SR since both AMD and Nvidia use version number when those don't tell you if FG/SR are in use

I think the point is primarily knowing that companies feel more at ease talking about the system, so we can at least know what might be coming (not necessarily when)

Yeap, "Switch 2" being acknowledged in a press release is not something we see often.

There are diminishing returns on improving the technical implementation of the Animal Crossing art style. You cannot just keep increasing detail because it is antithetical to the art style. The pattern seems to be to make the lighting as realistic as the hardware can handle, while keeping the geometry simple (this does not mean low-polygon) and only using high frequency detail on materials that are typically defined by their high frequency detail (like napped fabrics). The villagers will never have individual, fine strands of hair, for instance, because the toy-like hair is a feature of the art style.

If you want to speculate on the upper limits on the Animal Crossing art style, this pre-rendered Smash CG trailer is a good reference to start, and it's even missing some effects from Animal Crossing New Horizons, like the anisotropic highlights on hair:

The point is, it's not that it's not possible to make the tech more sophisticated and complex, it's just that you will eventually reach a point where increasing detail for the sake of increasing detail will diverge from the intended style. You can certainly keep "improving" it, but you're not really supposed to once it looks exactly like the ground truth art.

I agree. They should not touch the graphics imo. Spend literally all development time on interface management, map increases, dynamic AI, and evergreen mechanics (IE: The flower breeding)

First of these slice of life games that incorporates an AI chat model will sell like beer and lotto on a Saturday night.

GTAVI being potentially Switch 2 bound is IMO more likely than GTAV coming to Switch 1.

When Skyrim was showcased on Switch during the reveal trailer, that was one of those, “Whoa!“ moments because I don’t think many thought it was going to happen. It also proved in that first fifteen seconds the Switch was pretty powerful for its size.

It would also be an interesting twist if GTAVI was shown on the Switch 2 as the first platform to be shown on.

GTAVI being potentially Switch 2 bound is IMO more likely than GTAV coming to Switch 1.

When Skyrim was showcased on Switch during the reveal trailer, that was one of those, “Whoa!“ moments because I don’t think many thought it was going to happen. It also proved in that first fifteen seconds the Switch was pretty powerful for its size.

It would also be an interesting twist if GTAVI was shown on the Switch 2 as the first platform to be shown on.
I dunno...look at how goddamn long it takes Rockstar to bring their games to PC.

I agree. They should not touch the graphics imo. Spend literally all development time on interface management, map increases, dynamic AI, and evergreen mechanics (IE: The flower breeding)

First of these slice of life games that incorporates an AI chat model will sell like beer and lotto on a Saturday night.
They should spend ALL their engineering efforts on making pockets carry 99 items each slot

GTA 6 will most likely either be released in December or get a delay.

But everytime there's a new Mario game, it's always the best year for gaming.
Nah, I don't think Rockstar would release it after Black Friday. There's a reason video games try to steer clear of releasing games that month. It's either October (like RDR2) or Spring 2026.

The only thing they need to do is to have an even better lighting system, ala Smash Wii U->Smash Ultimate. Probably with Raytracing honestly. A superb lighting system that is completely dynamic and have full expression of colored bounce lighting would make a huge difference. Honestly, they could reuse all of the models and textures so long as they provide a new environment. But yeah, the lighting would be absolutely huge. Having multiple different colored lights in a room all interacting with each other would be incredible.

ACNH had an incredible lighting system for Switch, but I know they can take it even further.

GTA5 is coming to Switch 1 is still pretty likely even in its 8th year. We got RDR1 in its 7th year and it was a big success, why not other GTA games?

My home country's (Turkey) Nintendo distributor and Take Two distributor joined forces recently and my friend works there thinks there are more Nintendo published Rockstar games happening in 2024 (like GTA Trilogy or RDR1). Any guess is as good as the other but after RDR, GTA5 sounds the most logical one.

i feel like having a switch 2 version just announced first year will get so many people onboard with the console
inshAllah

I agree. They should not touch the graphics imo.

I won't go as far as to say they shouldn't touch the graphics, but just pointing out that it cannot faithfully adhere to the art style by chasing as much detail as the hardware will allow. Even implementing ray tracing is something the AC developers might not be too keen to do. I do think something like using polygons instead of normal maps to represent detail is something that could be a genuine improvement without compromising the art style.

Something I think a lot of core gamers don't realize about Nintendo is that visual accessibility is something that they consider in their art design. Psychologically, simple, vibrant colors and basic detail tend to be more inviting to casual gamers. It's the same logic used to create content for young children. AC is made for a very broad audience, and the simple art style is one of the ways they have been able to achieve that. Having specular reflections everywhere and high frequency detail everywhere might feel too off-putting for many casual gamers, as these people already avoid games with complex graphics.

We'll see how it goes. Part of the reason GTA V never came to Switch is because it would be on the level of the PS3/360 versions of those games. Those versions of the game stopped getting content updates for GTA Online in 2016. I would imagine something similar may be under consideration here with GTA VI.

If GTAVI arrives on Switch 2, it will be 1 year later by fall 2026

Its even not coming to PC day 1. Lets be real guys.

But hopefully Switch 2 will receive a RDR2 port (likely a lunch window title?)

GTA5 is coming to Switch 1 is still pretty likely even in its 8th year. We got RDR1 in its 7th year and it was a big success, why not other GTA games?

My home country's (Turkey) Nintendo distributor and Take Two distributor joined forces recently and my friend works there thinks there are more Nintendo published Rockstar games happening in 2024 (like GTA Trilogy or RDR1). Any guess is as good as the other but after RDR, GTA5 sounds the most logical one.

GTA Online. I don't think Rockstar sees any benefit in releasing GTA5 on a platform that can't run their real money maker. I'm still waiting to see if they announce a GTA Online 2 to come with GTA6. If it doesn't, then I expect GTA5 + GTA Online to come to Switch 2.

Spend literally all development time on interface management, map increases, dynamic AI, and evergreen mechanics (IE: The flower breeding)

If Nintendo uses AI dialogue in AC, they will need to do it right by hiring their writers to give all the characters rich backstories and hand-crafted lines, and simply let the AI take over once the human-authored dialogue has been exhausted. I think that is the way forward for NPCs in video games in general. One thing is for sure, no one wants NPCs to mindlessly repeat the same lines over and over. It's immersion breaking.

The only thing they need to do is to have an even better lighting system, ala Smash Wii U->Smash Ultimate. Probably with Raytracing honestly. A superb lighting system that is completely dynamic and have full expression of colored bounce lighting would make a huge difference. Honestly, they could reuse all of the models and textures so long as they provide a new environment. But yeah, the lighting would be absolutely huge. Having multiple different colored lights in a room all interacting with each other would be incredible.

ACNH had an incredible lighting system for Switch, but I know they can take it even further.

The lighting in ACNH was great and can definitely be improved. If they use ray-tracing for the next game, it should be used sparingly (at least for specular reflections), like for water surfaces. I don't think having Fresnel reflections everywhere (like we see in the Paper Mario remake) will work for this style. But yeah, I agree on the lighting having room for improvement. There still room for the polygon counts to improve as well, so long as the overall shapes of the geometry are still simple.

GTA Online. I don't think Rockstar sees any benefit in releasing GTA5 on a platform that can't run their real money maker. I'm still waiting to see if they announce a GTA Online 2 to come with GTA6. If it doesn't, then I expect GTA5 + GTA Online to come to Switch 2.
They literally ported RDR1 to Switch last year, apparently Rockstar does see benefit in releasing old ass games on Switch. Doesn't have to be GTA5 (sans online) specifically, could be GTA4. Or Max Payne 3. Or even Midnight Club Los Angeles. But which one do you think makes the most sense?

They literally ported RDR1 to Switch last year, apparently Rockstar does see benefit in releasing old ass games on Switch. Doesn't have to be GTA5 (sans online) specifically, could be GTA4. Or Max Payne 3. Or even Midnight Club Los Angeles. But which one do you think makes the most sense?
Now with Joycon controls!

61eDfX3uIoL.jpg

Was this Thunderful Group (edit: or is it Redeye?) press release already posted? (searched but came up empty)

Screenshot-2024-05-16-225859.png

I guess it doesn't say much, but at least we are starting to see Switch NeXT being mentioned in press releases?
I am a bit vague about details here.

So this is Redeye, a "research powered investment banking", that invested some money into "Thunderful Group", which describes itself as "a group of companies that develops, publishes and invests in games, while also distributing Nintendo products, games, game accessories", do I have that correct?

I looked up Thunderful Group - it seems like the game that developed Steamworld games (Dig, Dig 2, Build, etc) is part of this group, I think?

If I'm understanding this web of companies correctly, I hope Thunderful Group stays afloat, I rather enjoy the Steamworld games too.

I am a bit vague about details here.

So this is Redeye, a "research powered investment banking", that invested some money into "Thunderful Group", which describes itself as "a group of companies that develops, publishes and invests in games, while also distributing Nintendo products, games, game accessories", do I have that correct?

I looked up Thunderful Group - it seems like the game that developed Steamworld games (Dig, Dig 2, Build, etc) is part of this group, I think?

If I'm understanding this web of companies correctly, I hope Thunderful Group stays afloat, I rather enjoy the Steamworld games too.
Yes, Thunderful Group owns the studios bit also a distribution arm that formerly was Bergsala, a quite legendary Nintendo distributor.

Thunderful has been struggling massively in the past two years and their business is very dependent on Nintendo.

I've been playing mainly on Switch lately despite my other consoles, and the main controller I've been using is actually a Joy-Con Pair in the Joy-Con Charging Grip.

Honestly? I think it's really good. Really, really good. It IS a little small for my hands but it's good, it's functional, it's... Fun!

I really do hope we see the next system work with this. A charging grip included, probably designed without the "thighs", depending on the improved comfort of the Joy-Con themselves. It could be a "good enough" controller people don't feel a need for a Pro Controller. Improved enough it may become my main way to play.

I've used a Pro Controller and left the Joy-Con on the system for YEARS. Because for me that ups the convenience. No snapping off and on, I just plop it in, pick up the full sized controller and get back to it. But having forced myself to settle down and use the grip for a while, I think I better understand how Nintendo has positioned their controllers this generation, and it, weirdly, feels like a "worthy" controller to be on the box, in all the ad copy, etc.

I mean. It's also the logo, in a way, but still.

That said, I'll probably get the new Pro Controller day one, too.

I'm not a huge Animal Crossing fan, so I will defer to others on what fits or doesn't, but watching my partner play over quarantine, I think the animations could be pushed pretty far without sacrificing anything from the art style. The characters are so much a core of what the game offers, and they're so charming, you could get a lot from giving their puppets more joints and really pushing the expressiveness, even if the models and lighting approach is preserved.

Although this is not explicitly about Nintendo, I found this rather intriguing.

■職務内容/ Job Description(Roles & Responsibilities)
当社エンタテインメントゲーム機器向け開発されたプログラムを、異なるアーキテクチャをもつゲーム機器の上で実行可能にするためのシステムの開発を行います。具体的には PlayStation 向けに開発されている多数のゲームタイトルを、新しいアーキテクチャのシステム上で動作させることを実現させます。
このシステムは、問題発生時の不具合解析を容易にするための機構を備えることが求められています。

■組織・職場紹介
当社エンタテインメントゲーム機器用システムソフトウェアやゲーム開発用プラットフォーム・SDKを支える基盤となるOSのカーネルおよびプログラム開発環境について研究と開発を担当しています。
当社エンタテインメントゲーム機器に特化した独自の技術開発は数千万台規模で稼働中の機器を支える中核技術の一つであり、大変やりがいのある業務です。
ソフトウェアの開発については、仕様策定だけでなく自社人員によるプログラム作成も活発に行われています。
他部署のテクニカルサポートチームを通じて、国内外のゲーム開発者とコミュニケーションをとる機会もございます。他部署のエンジニアとの交流も盛んです。総じてフランクな職場です。

■求められるスキル・技術領域/Skills and Qualifications
【必須(MUST)】
  • C/C++言語を用いたプログラム開発経験があること
  • 近年の主要なCPUアーキテクチャに精通していること
    • それらアーキテクチャのうち一つ以上でのアセンブリ言語での開発経験があること
  • JIT/AOTの技術に精通していること
  • 英語での技術文書の読込及び海外の開発者と議論できるレベルの reading/writing 能力

【歓迎(WANT)】
  • Unity, UnrealEngine等の主要ゲームエンジンの構造と実装について知識があること
  • ゲームプログラムの開発経験がある。
  • 口頭で英語話者との技術議論ができること
(Translation below done by DeepL Translate.)

■Job Description(Roles & Responsibilities)
Develop systems to enable programs developed for our entertainment game consoles to run on game consoles with different architectures. Specifically, we will enable a large number of game titles developed for PlayStation to run on the new architecture system.
This system must be equipped with a mechanism to facilitate defect analysis when problems occur.

■Organization and Workplace
We are in charge of research and development of the OS kernel and program development environment, which is the foundation supporting our entertainment game device system software and game development platforms and SDKs.
The development of unique technologies specialized for our entertainment game consoles is one of the core technologies that support the tens of millions of consoles in operation, and it is a very rewarding job.
In terms of software development, our own personnel are actively involved in programming as well as specification development.
Through the technical support team in other departments, we have opportunities to communicate with game developers in Japan and overseas. There is also a lot of interaction with engineers in other departments. In general, it is a frank workplace.

■Skills and Qualifications
【Required (MUST)】
  • Experience in program development using C/C++ language
  • Familiarity with recent major CPU architectures
    • Experience in assembly language development for one or more of those architectures
  • Familiarity with JIT/AOT technologies
  • Ability to read and discuss technical documents in English with overseas developers.

【WELCOME (WANT)】
  • Knowledge of the structure and implementation of major game engines such as Unity, UnrealEngine, etc.
  • Experience in game program development.
  • Ability to verbally discuss technical issues with English speakers.

You can improve graphics without having to specifically target detail, like simply making it 60 fps.

New Nintendo Switch would be an awful name, even more awful than when they did that with the New 3DS, because at least that was just a "pro model."

You should never give your console a name that is also an incredibly common adjective, you're just begging for confusion.

Imagine little Timmy's Christmas morning disappointment; "Look Timmy, grandma bought you a Nintendo Switch! Brand new, not used, just like you asked!"
I want the new new new new new new new new NEW Nintendo Switch.

I own RDR1 on Switch. Evidently GTA4 was planned, but cancelled after Trilogy.

What would they port to Switch 1? Bully Scholarship Edition.

Been playing FF XV on the Steam Deck (native 720p, high settings) and I can't express enough how much of a necessity a 1080p screen is. Hair, textures and clothes fizzle A LOT. There's just too much subpixel detail and 720p can't keep up; thought the same about Elden Ring, Wanted Dead and Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

DLSS should do wonders too; stabilizing subpixel detail is one of its fields of expertise imo.

I'm not a huge Animal Crossing fan, so I will defer to others on what fits or doesn't, but watching my partner play over quarantine, I think the animations could be pushed pretty far without sacrificing anything from the art style. The characters are so much a core of what the game offers, and they're so charming, you could get a lot from giving their puppets more joints and really pushing the expressiveness, even if the models and lighting approach is preserved.

Completely agree with this and would love to see more expressive animations!

You can improve graphics without having to specifically target detail, like simply making it 60 fps.

Agreed! My argument wasn't about the graphics overall, but the technical means by which the art style can be more faithfully realized. Resolution and framerate improvements are generally appreciated regardless of art style, but they're not used as a means to improve how the style itself is implemented. Components like textures, reflections, geometry, shadows, etc. all have an effect on how the art style is perceived, and for some art styles, improving the detail and complexity of those components can actually cause the style to deviate from its intended look.

I own RDR1 on Switch. Evidently GTA4 was planned, but cancelled after Trilogy.

What would they port to Switch 1? Bully Scholarship Edition.
No that rumor was not like that. Both RDR1 and GTA4 remakes were planned but cancelled. The RDR port we got last year was probably the companion Switch version to full remakes the next gen consoles supposed to get. That's a good explanation as PS5 didn't get a native RDR1. Switch still could get a port of GTA4.

Bully does not have a HD remastered version to port to Switch, PS4 one is an PS2 emulated game. This is most likely the one of the games I listed: GTA4, GTA5, Midnight Club and Max Payne 3. Apparently this was a listing for a 2024 release, very similar to trilogy and RDR1, Rockstar game published by Nintendo on retail. No info other than that. My friend said they could be GTA4 and Midnight Club but he's just speculating, he does not any inside info.

No that rumor was not like that. Both RDR1 and GTA4 remakes were planned but cancelled. The RDR port we got last year was probably the companion Switch version to full remakes the next gen consoles supposed to get. That's a good explanation as PS5 didn't get a native RDR1. Switch still could get a port of GTA4.

Bully does not have a HD remastered version to port to Switch, PS4 one is an PS2 emulated game. This is most likely the one of the games I listed: GTA4, GTA5, Midnight Club and Max Payne 3. Apparently this was a listing for a 2024 release, very similar to trilogy and RDR1, Rockstar game published by Nintendo on retail. No info other than that. My friend said they could be GTA4 and Midnight Club but he's just speculating, he does not any inside info.
bully literally does have an hd remaster to port, it's called scholarship edition and it was on the 360

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom