• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Interestingly AC Shadows is coming to Apple Silicon.

And with how many co-dev studios there are, I would expect a leak sooner or later.

GNoeypmWAAMvzbW

I’m just gonna put this here.

Nvidia has been praising Nintendo for god know how long.

And Jensen was probably the only person in the tech industry that saw the potential of the Switch.

With the Switch 2 on the horizon, both companies will have a strong partnership.

I can see frustration at a product delay as they may have wanted to showcase Switch 2 tech, as early as a year ago, but broadly, I'm highly skeptical nvidia didn't know what Nintendo is as a company and what they were getting into.

Maybe nvidia wanted to sell into the ASUS ROG/STEAM DECK profile market? I'm not sure ifts large enough and currently PC gaming doesn't support ARM cores and ARM based windows machines aren't widespread so it's hihgly unlikely they care too much that AMD is serving that niche.

There's a lot of BS drama in those tweets, which i suspect may be a reaction to a spate of bad news for Nintendo's competitors and feeling they need to balance things out with their own rumours.

reading the last few pages has confirmed all of my desires for this thing. now, all there is to do is wait & we only have less than a year till it's in our hands!

good thing i never felt this way about the NS2 before! not like i felt this way approximately three months ago and then a delay rumor came out! glad that never happens!

I can see frustration at a product delay as they may have wanted to showcase Switch 2 tech, as early as a year ago, but broadly, I'm highly skeptical nvidia didn't know what Nintendo is as a company and what they were getting into.

Maybe nvidia wanted to sell into the ASUS ROG/STEAM DECK profile market? I'm not sure ifts large enough and currently PC gaming doesn't support ARM cores and ARM based windows machines aren't widespread so it's hihgly unlikely they care too much that AMD is serving that niche.

There's a lot of BS drama in those tweets, which i suspect may be a reaction to a spate of bad news for Nintendo's competitors and feeling they need to balance things out with their own rumours.
Someone just attached a timeline to that thread for initial Tape Out to release, which takes three years, and I don't see a problem with T239 being released in 2022 initial Tape Out early 2025.

Only the most leaky company out of the leakiest. It's basically a meme at this point.

Which is why we're kinda surprised nothing has leaked yet from Ubisoft thus so far regarding Switch 2. Unless I've missed it.
Nintendo probably threatened Ubisoft, that if they somehow either leak the Switch 2. The Mario and rabbits spin-off gets cancelled.

gus-fring.gif

Better tech makes ports easier, and of higher quality. Excepting some extremes, they don't make ports truly "possible" or "impossible". As the gap gets bigger, the cost of the port goes up, while the quality goes down, eventually leading to games that can't make money.

Everyone comparing the technology of Drake to the PS5 or Series S, or a speculated PS6 - it's a fun game, but the longevity of Nintendo's next console has as much to do with money as anything else. Even Microsoft themselves are saying that building games around the power of their own next-gen hardware isn't financially viable.

And I don't think this is a Wii situation where the install base is so tempting large, its worth squeezing money out of, even if the ports are bad. Microsoft themselves are out here saying that they need to expand the customer base beyond their console to be profitable. Switch 2 has an install base of zero, and it's already a tempting target. Even if we have a DS->3DS level drop in the install base going forward, the need to sell to more customers is going to drive these companies to attempt ports on the next Nintendo hardware.

I don't have any delusions that the industry alignment we are currently going through will result in a more stable, sustainable business model. We'll see a contraction - we're already seeing it - and then the forces that caused the situation in the first place will return, as will the gaming bubble that comes along with it.

But in the interim we have companies seeing what Nintendo is doing - building games of a size where modest profit is likely, at a fairly steady, even rapid pace - and they want in on some of that action. This will naturally result in games that are able to run on older, or smaller hardware. The next Xbox might be "the greatest generational leap ever" but that doesn't mean it will be the defining machine of it's generation.

The defining machine of the next generation will probably be the... PS5! A widely installed machine with a "next-gen enough" feature set that can be the basis of scaled up games for the 10th gen of consoles, but opens up support for the long tail of gaming - the scaled down Series S and Switch 2 versions, the flexible PC version that runs on SteamDeck, and the eventual Apple or even Android port.

The games that are being greenlit right now the games that are surviving studio closures, are games that are being planned for Nintendo's next device. It doesn't matter how floppy Nintendo's traced rays are - the games are coming.

what if the twist is Ubisoft is not supporting Switch 2
After how well Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown was received (that game even feels like it was targeting the Switch, specifically), this would be a surprise.

For Ubisoft to support Apple Silicon and Amazon Luna, but not the Switch 2, would be bizarre.

I think how Assassin's Creed Shadow runs on the switch2 will give us an indication of how far the ray tracing effects of the switch2 will reach.

Do we know as do why he decided to join Nintendo.

And the pipeline fits for Switch 2 games starting development, with the likes of 3D Mario.
Nintendo probably has the status as being the best big video game company to work for in Japan. Competitive salaries and good working conditions compared to most Japanese video game companies, as well as being able to work with many industry legends.

Those rumours just seem designed for people who want to read stuff like ''NVIDIA abandons Nintendo! Nintendo doomed! NVIDIA going all in on PC gaming instead''. Just console warrior bait stuff.

Interestingly AC Shadows is coming to Apple Silicon.

And with how many co-dev studios there are, I would expect a leak sooner or later.

GNoeypmWAAMvzbW

If there is a Switch 2 version of the game in the works, then it's likely only being handled by one or two of those studios, so there wouldn't be nearly as many people to leak it.

The Switch uses a 4-core Cortex A57 CPU, not A53. And Switch was handling games from PS3/360 just fine, which is where GTA V got its start. It was rumored to have had a prototype on Wii U, and that had a weaker CPU.

As far as threads are concerned, a core with just one hardware thread can have multiple software threads. Having 2 hardware threads has a benefit of being managed at the hardware level, but resources are still shared, and if one wants resources in use by the other, it's delayed. The general benefit of having 2 hardware threads is up to a 30% boost in performance from having just a 5% increase in hardware area.
gta v and gta online are one in the same to rockstar, and online has been all but discontinued on ps3/360 since 2017, the year of the switch's launch. so for all intents and purposes, gta v has been a ps4/xb1 game ever since 2017 to rockstar, which definitely increased the load a port would need to handle

is too soon for a Mario+Rabbids 3?
5 years between Mario+Rabbids and Sparks of Hope. I don't think we can reasonably expect another sequel until 2027 maybe.

Unless Ubisoft is heavily prioritizing the sequel (if it exists) to be released during launch window (1st year).

Meta commentary is unnecessary. As far as I know nobody has actually been banned for mentioning banned content. We need to respect the rules if we want to post here.
I have brought up one of the banned games and one of the banned sources as well. Community members are usually cordial enough to point out what's wrong and mods don't really rule with an iron fist or anything. Just edit and move on.

Ubisoft has been putting the blame of recent underperformance on Mario Rabbidz 2 last year, and Yves Guillemot actually mentionned the switch 2 saying "we should have been listening to Nintendo and wait for the successor to bring the title in".

Ubisoft Milan has been butchered recently... I really wouldn't bet on a Mario Rabbidz 3. Ubisoft situation is not good at the moment.

I'm sure it's been discussed in this thread but what tech/features from Grace and Lovelace will be in T239?
Well, we only recently got evidence that anything from Grace at all was coming - much to my surprise, it appears that Grace's faster memory controller is a possibility.

From Lovelace, some power saving tech (only known as FLCG, and how much power it saves is unknown), and support for AV1.

is too soon for a Mario+Rabbids 3?
5 years between Mario+Rabbids and Sparks of Hope. I don't think we can reasonably expect another sequel until 2027 maybe.

Unless Ubisoft is heavily prioritizing the sequel (if it exists) to be released during launch window (1st year).
Ubisoft has gone on record saying that Sparks of Hope should have waited, and that they will release an updated version for Switch 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Sparks of Hope Deluxe is effectively a launch title.

If Nvidia does have a more expensive chip they're planning to use for handheld PCs ... I don't see that as bad news. Maybe Nintendo could circle back in a few years when it's cheaper and use it as a Switch 2 Pro.

I mean Nintendo was never going to use a $300 GPU, a $300 GPU implies a hardware system that's probably $700-$800 or so after profit margin is factored in and that's unrealistic.

If they're upset that Nintendo is dragging their heels on releasing the Switch 2, well fair enough. That's just one of those things where nothing can be done. Nintendo is not going to launch with a weak software lineup, doesn't matter if fans, Nvidia, etc. are getting anxious.

Ubisoft has gone on record saying that Sparks of Hope should have waited, and that they will release an updated version for Switch 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Sparks of Hope Deluxe is effectively a launch title.
Makes me wonder if Ubisoft made that statement after they have seen how good things would have looked on Switch 2.

If that was the case, bodes well for Switch 2 IMO.

If Nvidia does have a more expensive chip they're planning to use for handheld PCs ... I don't see that as bad news. Maybe Nintendo could circle back in a few years when it's cheaper and use it as a Switch 2 Pro.
They can't. It'd be a different architecture, which means APIs, game binaries, etc has to be rewritten.

Lest the Switch 2 game library be divided up between Switch 2 and Switch 2 Pro which Nintendo definitely wouldn't want to do.

According to this Digital Foundry video, Penny's Big Breakaway runs at 4K 120fps on PS5, Xbox Series X, and even Xbox Series S. Meanwhile, the Switch version appears to run at an unstable 60fps at 1080p when docked with slightly reduced visual settings.

Based on what we know about the Switch successor's specs and how Penny's Big Breakaway performs on existing platforms (including PC, which wasn't really featured in the video beyond Steam Deck), do we think the game could run at 4K 120fps on Switch 2 with full graphics when docked as well? 1440p at 120fps? 4K at 60fps? And how about when played portably? 1080p at 120fps? 720p at 120fps? 1080p at 60fps?

Also, I really like this video because it's a good example to point to in the future when people talk about hardware being "incapable" of hitting certain resolutions and framerates. I always like to say that apart from hard limits like the display output technology, it depends on the game. Xbox Series S running this game at 4K and 120fps will now be my example to illustrate this.
Kinda funny that, while the Xbox Series S can do this, you can't out of the box since the cable it comes with is just HDMI 2.0

Source: My Xbox Series S

Hardware partners come and go anyway, one shouldn't get overly attached to any one of them. For all we know Switch 3 may go AMD or someone else who offers Nintendo a whopper of a deal and bye bye Nvidia. This is a business, it's not an after school club for making friends, friendship/loyalty has nothing to do with anything. Nvidia being happy or sad is meaningless, the hardware contract is already well and signed and the terms are what they are, don't see that changing. If they don't want to work with Nintendo, I can tell you AMD will bend over backwards and tap dance naked up and down the street to get that business.

Last edited:
Two excellent candidates to show, in addition to Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, could be GTA 6 and Monster Hunter Wilds in order to satisfy different markets/palates from day one.

Assassin's Creed Shadows releases 11/15 and is a current-gen only release, would be a good display in a Switch 2 sizzle reel later this year.
I wonder if they will bring Shadows or the Assassin's Creed games that didn't come out on Switch first... I think there are at least 5 🤔

Hardware partners come and go anyway, one shouldn't get overly attached to any one of them. For all we know Switch 3 may go AMD or someone else who offers Nintendo a whopper of a deal and bye bye Nvidia. This is a business, it's not an after school club for making friends, friendship/loyalty has nothing to do with it.
wait is Nvidia actually leaving? This all seems hearsay

Hardware partners come and go anyway, one shouldn't get overly attached to any one of them. For all we know Switch 3 may go AMD or someone else who offers Nintendo a whopper of a deal and bye bye Nvidia. This is a business, it's not an after school club for making friends, friendship/loyalty has nothing to do with it.
Nintendo has some major upsides by continuing with Nvidia. Like BC (imo without them you can wave it goodbye), and iterating on their toolset. Nvidia is getting their bespoke features more widely adopted in the pc space because there's a bigger install base for them. Which is why they probably want Nintendo to have the most up to date feature set possible.

But if another company offers a much better deal, it can offset all of this.

Hardware partners come and go anyway, one shouldn't get overly attached to any one of them. For all we know Switch 3 may go AMD or someone else who offers Nintendo a whopper of a deal and bye bye Nvidia. This is a business, it's not an after school club for making friends, friendship/loyalty has nothing to do with anything. Nvidia being happy or sad is meaningless, the hardware contract is already well and signed and the terms are what they are, don't see that changing. If they don't want to work with Nintendo, I can tell you AMD will bend over backwards and tap dance naked up and down the street to get that business.
The switch3 isn't even in prototype form how do you know it "might" leave nvidia, it's clear that nintendo is eating the dividends of nvidia's development of ai graphics tech and ray tracing, it seems to be a win win situation at the moment, I don't know why the next generation of gaming consoles would leave nvidia.

Makes me wonder if Ubisoft made that statement after they have seen how good things would have looked on Switch 2.
The specific reference was to Sparks of Hope sales, and general Ubisoft sales at the time. Yves Guillemot basically said that Sparks of Hope was a sales failure only if you looked at it as an Ubisoft game, instead of a Nintendo game. Nintendo games have long tails, they don't die, where Ubisoft games fall off quickly, which is why they have so many sales, to squeeze cash out of the existing library.

We had already released a Mario Rabbids game [on Switch], so by doing another we had two similar experiences on one machine. On Nintendo, games like this never die. There are 25 Mario games on Switch. Nintendo [has advised] that it's better to do one iteration on each machine. We were a bit too early, we should have waited for [the next console]. Because you could play a great game. And we think it will last for ten years, because we will update it for the new machine that will come in the future.

Considering Ubisoft had gone from "third party company that makes lots of games for Nintendo hardware" to "full on second party developer," I assume that they were getting at least some heads up about the new machine.

The switch3 isn't even in prototype form how do you know it "might" leave nvidia, it's clear that nintendo is eating the dividends of nvidia's development of ai graphics tech and ray tracing, it seems to be a win win situation at the moment, I don't know why the next generation of gaming consoles would leave nvidia.

Who knows what happens I'm just saying like Nvidia being happy/sad whatever means about dick all to Nintendo.

This isn't a contest of making friends, if they don't like some aspect of working with Nintendo, AMD will be there before Nintendo can even pick up the phone to call.

Nintendo once upon a time was also super best friends with SGI, AMD, and other hardware vendors. For 3DS they used a hardware vendor and said peace out. They're all dispensable, sorry but that's just the cold, hard reality.

About nintendo adaptation to UHD graphics i have to talk about one of zelda team graphic programmers daisuke shimizu, some background : he was the lead rendering enginer from the deep down demo and panta rhey engine, at the time the best looking game ever, capcom probably couldnt make it run on ps4 and the project and engine were cancelled, after he went to work for crytek who in 2007 made the best looking game at the time, before joining nintendo in 2019, maybe now some of tech he developed will possible in real time and he can archieve his dream, just to have idea of the kind of talent is in charge of the transition to UHD Graphics

WYHASun.png

and somehow he isnt the only former crytek staff working on the zelda team

Dont want to list everyone so the post get too big but theres already staff involved in games like Final Fantasy XVI, Dragons Dogma 2, Elden Ring and even some CG Anime films working at nintendo, some for years, nintendo wont have to learn by himself about modern graphical tech, they already got the know-how from some of the best studios in japan.

damn, i was thinkin bout Deep Down just a bit ago, that game looked fun af. wish they would try it again

What is so significant in Lovelace that T239 absolutely needs?
Reciting directly from RedDread:

Opacity Micromap Engine (RT core), Displaced Micro Mesh Engine(RT core), Shader Execution Reordering (shaders), , support for more formats (Tensor Cores), twice the RT intersection throughput (RT core). And the larger L2.
Lovelace has a lot of general features that accelerates RT performance over Ampere. Given T239's inherently limited nature as being designed for a tablet, & dealing with the power limitations of such, having the full RT suíte of Lovelace would be excellent, especially behind a closed enviroment where Nintendo's devs would make the most of it.

Someone already asked him.

Y notindo not jus update geepeeyou 4 $1??
Two excellent candidates to show, in addition to Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3, could be GTA 6 and Monster Hunter Wilds in order to satisfy different markets/palates from day one.

I wonder if they will bring Shadows or the Assassin's Creed games that didn't come out on Switch first... I think there are at least 5 🤔
Shadows would be a much more impressive and exciting game to show than an old AC game.

Who knows what happens I'm just saying like Nvidia being happy/sad whatever means about dick all to Nintendo.

This isn't a contest of making friends, if they don't like some aspect of working with Nintendo, AMD will be there before Nintendo can even pick up the phone to call.

Nintendo once upon a time was also super best friends with SGI, AMD, and other hardware vendors. For 3DS they used a hardware vendor and said peace out. They're all dispensable, sorry but that's just the cold, hard reality.
So again, you're basing everything on baseless "speculation", and I'm only going to speculate to a certain extent based on the information that's available at this point in time, and the fact of the matter is that NVIDIA and Nintendo are in a win-win situation in terms of gpu development, and Nintendo is realizing the potential to do more with less on a visual level through the development of the graphics technology by NVIDIA.Possibility, if replaced by AMD, Nintendo will undoubtedly need to continue to additional costs.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom