• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

We have good reason to believe the GPU's power draw in portable will be 4.2w. With a GPU this big, that gives you somewhere around 1.8-2TFLOPs, so better than Steam Deck (not too surprising given it is multiple years newer, and a larger GPU), the launch Switch drew 9w during botw in portable. This device will draw around 10w, leaving the SoC with 6-7w and the rest of the system ~3w. That is similar to what the original Switch did.
Switch V1 levels of battery life is reaaaally going to sting. Almost enough to make me hesitate about buying that first model.

You were talking about battery size, I didn't see your updated post. I was commenting on Switch 2's ability to run the specs within a power budget similar to the original Switch. I expect the Switch 2 to have a battery around 5000mah, the original Switch's was 4310mah, but 5000mah is very common today.

As for the AI comment, I've been discussing Nintendo hardware for almost 25 years online. I predate watson.
5300-6000MaH is very common now, even in cheap chinese phones for $200 so we should expect that

With how much denser batteries have gotten and how much more internal volume it'll have, why a less than 1000mAh jump? I expect 6000 at least.
We are really just discussing playtime at this point, a 700mah battery size increase isn't too small, it fits with the bump in power consumption we should be expecting, and I just don't think Nintendo is worried about 4 or 5 hours of play time out of their launch model, simply because they will eventually release a lite model and one thing holding the lite model of the current Switch back, was the release of V2, which offered even more battery life, making the portable option a toss up.

ignoring the fact that my dope man pants have switch capable pockets since that doesn't apply to everyone, a smaller device is easier to accommodate within that bag

I think your perspective might change when you're trying to figure out what to leave out of your handbag to squeeze this big piece of shit in there

meanwhile I will be jchilling with my new nintendo 3ds (non-xl of course) and rusty's real deal baseball until nintendo makes a switch 2 lite

I already have to do that for OLED Model. 😅

Nintendo crossed that line in 2017. Looking back, I think I kinda get it. I brought my Switch fewer places than my 3DS.

Don't worry friends. The Fallout TV series has THE solution for you:

someone-should-mod-in-those-big-ass-squire-bags-for-v0-2nbcvr20rduc1.jpeg

The limited edition bag comes with a dude to carry it, too!

As I sit here barely awake staring at my Steam Deck and Switch OLED across the room on my drawer, the Steam Deck looks big because it has a rather maximalist design aesthetic and has w i d e controls, but in terms of actual X and Y dimensions it doesn't take up a whole lot of actual space in my setup. The Switch 2 will be a prettier and slimmer device with a larger screen, its footprint in living rooms and bags should remain small.

I think Nintendo is aware that this will still be too large for a number of people, they accept the tradeoff for more ergonomic viewing of a 1080p screen, better tabletop, potential better controls and more immediate product differentiation - and who knows, the number of people not buying it due to the size may be made up for by the number of people who will now buy it because 'ah, I can see everything better'. A Lite shouldn't be too far away anyway.
Tabletop mode being on my mind really is that thing that makes the size matter so much less to me. Improved tabletop mode is worth the world to me. I'll repeat, home console gameplay on the train. In fucking credible.

Apple killed the mini iPhone for a reason,
Apple accidentally killed the mini line that started with the iPhone 12:
• iPhone SE launched in Summer of that year, before the 12 lineup, cannibalizing possible 12 mini sales;
• Poor battery life
• 13 mini wasn’t that much of an upgrade, and anyone that had a 12 mini either gave the SE a try, didn’t bother upgrading or changed from mini to regular

Apple has made the SE their de facto iPhone mini.

There is a demand for smaller devices. It’s why the Lite exists: small device to entice new consumers to get into the ecosystem.

Which is why I think the Switch 2 will receive a small revision two years from now. Either the size of a V1/2 Switch, or the size of a Lite.

What I can’t think is whether or not they’ll call it a Switch 2 Lite, since the Lite didn’t sell as much as they thought it could

idk I feel like they could've made something pretty decent in a switch-sized package

maybe a not-quite xbox one? would have been plenty imo
😅

T239 on 4N is of comaprable size and power consumption to the original Nintendo Switch.

They wouldn't have had to sacrifice performance to do that.

Nintendo CHOSE to make it larger. Probably more because big screen sells and better battery life rather than "fuck that raccoon and the space lady with the tiny purse".

Switch V1 levels of battery life is reaaaally going to sting. Almost enough to make me hesitate about buying that first model.
I'm shocked, though in an altruistic way happy, that opinions are as overwhelmingly positive in this thread as they are

we're staring down the barrel at:
  • worse battery life than any switch made since 2019
  • a worse screen than the OLED model (oh but raccoon LCD is good something something OLED grain okay whatever but it's worse imo and anecdotally to a lot of people)
  • dramatically worse portability for anyone who doesn't plan their bag organization around a single video game device
  • compute power that is, while impressive, still substantially below the series s, a system already maligned by devs
  • and perhaps worst of all, not a peep about anything actually new! unless you count a new way for the controllers to stick onto the sides which I uh ehhhh don't really sorry

not saying that you all are wrong and that I'm right, far from it in fact. I'm just bewildered at how out of phase I am with the community regarding a device that really just seems like the thing I already have made substantially worse.

it all comes down to taste I guess

As I already said 500-1000 pages before when the size talk came up, I am also not happy that the next console will be bigger. The current Switch is already too big to play comfortably in bed. I will buy the new console at launch (if I can get one) but I really hope they will make a new Lite which also can be docked.
Oh and I am also an iPhone 13 mini user. Bought it just last year. My first iPhone ever because I was sick of the big sizes from Android phones, so the 2021 iPhone 13 mini replaced my 2019 Google Pixel 3a in the year 2023. Not the best trade if you look at specs and price but I really prefer the smaller size. If I want something bigger I will use my tablet or laptop.

We are really just discussing playtime at this point, a 700mah battery size increase isn't too small, it fits with the bump in power consumption we should be expecting, and I just don't think Nintendo is worried about 4 or 5 hours of play time out of their launch model, simply because they will eventually release a lite model and one thing holding the lite model of the current Switch back, was the release of V2, which offered even more battery life, making the portable option a toss up.
I disagree. Unless the battery is smaller as a proportion of the system, we should expect more than that. I dont think anyone was particularly pleased with the battery life of the launch model, at best nonplussed, and I think Nintendo will use the advancements in battery technology and larger available size to provide battery life somewhere between the V1 and V2.

ignoring the fact that my dope man pants have switch capable pockets since that doesn't apply to everyone, a smaller device is easier to accommodate within that bag

I think your perspective might change when you're trying to figure out what to leave out of your handbag to squeeze this big piece of shit in there

meanwhile I will be jchilling with my new nintendo 3ds (non-xl of course) and rusty's real deal baseball until nintendo makes a switch 2 lite
I'll respond to most of this down below, but I gotta say, I recently played Metroid prime Federation Force on my new 3DS and I didn't realize just how uncomfortable it can be to use such a small device for a more fast-paced game.
I already have to do that for OLED Model. 😅

Nintendo crossed that line in 2017. Looking back, I think I kinda get it. I brought my Switch fewer places than my 3DS.
But yeah, Nintendo already did away with that sense of portability with the Switch. I used to take my 3DS in my pants with me, but the Switch already made that impossible. I do have a jacket with pockets big enough for the Switch and I used it a bit, but then:

1 - If I take off the jacket I have to be extra careful. And if it's raining, I still need a case, which wouldn't fit.
2 - Even if I had cargo pants or something, the idea of having the Switch flopping around near my legs would terrify me. You bump into people and things sometimes, it's just not safe. The 3DS had the clamshell design to protect it, but the Switch is far more fragile in that sense.

To be fair, I don't use a handbag. If I'm taking my Switch, I either put it in the case and carry it in my hand directly, or I have a backpack, and at that point, the size increase for the Switch 2 will mean very little to me. It's hard to imagine that most bags would really have that issue unless you're packing them to the brim.

Apple accidentally killed the mini line that started with the iPhone 12:
• iPhone SE launched in Summer of that year, before the 12 lineup, cannibalizing possible 12 mini sales;
• Poor battery life
• 13 mini wasn’t that much of an upgrade, and anyone that had a 12 mini either gave the SE a try, didn’t bother upgrading or changed from mini to regular

Apple has made the SE their de facto iPhone mini.

There is a demand for smaller devices. It’s why the Lite exists: small device to entice new consumers to get into the ecosystem.

Which is why I think the Switch 2 will receive a small revision two years from now. Either the size of a V1/2 Switch, or the size of a Lite.

What I can’t think is whether or not they’ll call it a Switch 2 Lite, since the Lite didn’t sell as much as they thought it could
According to rumors the SE will get bigger with the fourth one. Rumors say it will be the size of the iPhone 13.

16Wh(3.7W 4310mah) / 9W = 1.7h
18.56Wh(3.7V 5000mah) / 10W = 1.9h
Perfect, thank you. This is with the brightness all the way up, expecting more than 3 hours in the launch model is probably a bad idea, but we all have hopes and dreams for Nintendo to crush.
I'm more suggesting what I see here, but realistically for 4-5 hours of battery life, you'd need 7500mah (this is with some things turned down). Switch games are still going to give you 8-10 hours too probably, something to consider.

I'm shocked, though in an altruistic way happy, that opinions are as overwhelmingly positive in this thread as they are

• a worse screen than the OLED model (oh but raccoon LCD is good something something OLED grain okay whatever but it's worse imo and anecdotally to a lot of people)
  • dramatically worse portability for anyone who doesn't plan their bag organization around a single video game device
  • compute power that is, while impressive, still substantially below the series s, a system already maligned by devs
  • and perhaps worst of all, not a peep about anything actually new! unless you count a new way for the controllers to stick onto the sides which I uh ehhhh don't really sorry

not saying that you all are wrong and that I'm right, far from it in fact. I'm just bewildered at how out of phase I am with the community regarding a device that really just seems like the thing I already have made substantially worse.

I think V2 battery life and "Series S esque" performance are both realistic goals, albeit on the peripherals of likely.

Developers are also mainly complaining about Series S memory, not performance, and on 4N, that size is from market forces rather than thermal restraints, since those would be the same as the original.

Last edited:
I disagree. Unless the battery is smaller as a proportion of the system, we should expect more than that. I dont think anyone was particularly pleased with the battery life of the launch model, at best nonplussed, and I think Nintendo will use the advancements in battery technology and larger available size to provide battery life somewhere between the V1 and V2.

I think (and hope) Nintendo would aim for v2 battery life or better.

Perfect, thank you. This is with the brightness all the way up, expecting more than 3 hours in the launch model is probably a bad idea, but we all have hopes and dreams for Nintendo to crush.

I'm more suggesting what I see here, but realistically for 4-5 hours of battery life, you'd need 7500mah (this is with some things turned down). Switch games are still going to give you 8-10 hours too probably, something to consider.
7500 is about what I'm hoping for, yeah. It tracks with the battery density and volume increase we seem likely to get. 😅

Because more people here care more about better specs and performance over battery life and bigger size device. Stuff like OLED screen will also just be added later like with Switch 1.

Comparing the performance of switch2 and xss by arithmetic is unreliable, I'm not saying that switch2 will have the same specs as xss, but with the new graphics features and the docking mode it's really hard to see how much of a difference there is between switch2 and xss, not to mention the better RAM.

In my speculated timeline (September reveal), they would follow up with the announcement of a permanent price cut for all Switch models, as well as Nintendo Selects for the evergreens. And make those evergreens interesting for "double-dippers" by having DLC (if available for the game) on the cart.

Switch won't do "good" this holiday, no matter what, big releases like Zelda and Mario last year simply aren't there this year.
But a solid pricedrop can soften the blow.

Agreed that a price drop makes most business sense. If they can drop the OLED to

£199 OLED
£150 OG
£99 for the Lite

I think that'd be a sweet spot when a £399 Switch 2 comes out. Gives plenty of monetary distance between a Switch and Switch 2. Especially as the Switch is far too expensive for what it is now.

Although I'm not sure if Nintendo won't be cocky and charge £450. I hope not, but Nintendo seem to get over confident that they can charge whatever and people will pay it.

Those things don't matter too much, because it is all about the games. The new switch should be able to facilitate most third party games easily, especially with how scalable games are. The current switch is not keeping up.

Also, I'm pretty sure developers are aligned with Series S just simply because of MS's draconian policies, and the fact that Series S is just a drop in the bucket. The original switch already has very talented porting teams, so there is way more of an infrastructure there.

Add to that the allure of advanced technical features that Nintendo's own first party can take advantage of: and yeah. This is going to be incredible.

Now some of those things, are very subjective too.
Battery life: you got me. That's worse. But at the same time, Switch 2 will probably have a way better battery life than any of its competitors like the steam deck.

Screen:
This one is completely subjective too. Because the Switch 2 is going to have a bigger screen. I do admit it's a side grade. However, most of the public cannot even tell the difference between an LCD and Oled screen. For a lot of people, bigger is better. As someone who has a V1 switch, the screen is going to be a clear upgrade. Also, it's noted that the Oled is only a small portion of switch owners too.

Portability:
People said the same thing about the Switch. And most people end up purchasing a bag for their switch anyway. I think for most people it's a non issue. And again, it is massively better than the competition.

Perhaps if all of those thing matter to you, then you should just wait for a revision. We know we will get them, and yeah. Maybe just wait for the lite model to come out.

But the tech is great, way ahead of it's competition for its price point, and is going to be heavily supported. It's going to an amazing time for anyone who cares about the games.

Don't remember the exact details why but someone here said A78C was the "only possibility"
Along with what the others have said, A710 is less power efficient than A78 in sub-watt scenarios, so it's out. A715 and A720 don't have support for AArch32, so they're out. And the Cortex-X series are too big and power hungry, so they're out.

Im expect Personally at least 5300MaH battery like in SD

Btw. maybe i missed it, but have the customs / shipment data had any hint on Nintendo using Hall Effect sticks this time?

81nr2vE0bvL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg
712bbEjmbPL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

topo-designs-mountain-sling-bag-black-carrying-on-your-back_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

Sling Bags can look nice !
I use one (tomtoc 😎 ).

You don't think there's a ... slight ... size difference between the one i posted and the ones you posted?

If OG Switch 2 is tsmc 4N, Switch 2 lite may not exist.
Not at launch, no. But I don't think anyone was expecting that anyways.

But I can see it happening a couple years down the line. By then TSMC 4N will already be a few years old and seeing as how their 3nm has already been in active production since 2023, I can see a node shrink happening. Though I think a "lite" version of the Switch 2 will be more in line with the Switch v1/2/OLED in terms of it's dimensions. Nintendo knows there is a market for smaller versions of existing consoles, especially handhelds, so rest assured they will make it happen eventually.

Not at launch, no. But I don't think anyone was expecting that anyways.

But I can see it happening a couple years down the line. By then TSMC 4N will already be a few years old and seeing as how their 3nm has already been in active production since 2023, I can see a node shrink happening. Though I think a "lite" version of the Switch 2 will be more in line with the Switch v1/2/OLED in terms of it's dimensions. Nintendo knows there is a market for smaller versions of existing consoles, especially handhelds, so rest assured they will make it happen eventually.

1. 3nm fucking sucks and is barely smaller
2. It would require a huge architectural change.

3nm is the worst new node ever made until 2nm is released.

Those things don't matter too much, because it is all about the games. The new switch should be able to facilitate most third party games easily, especially with how scalable games are. The current switch is not keeping up.

Also, I'm pretty sure developers are aligned with Series S just simply because of MS's draconian policies, and the fact that Series S is just a drop in the bucket. The original switch already has very talented porting teams, so there is way more of an infrastructure there.

Add to that the allure of advanced technical features that Nintendo's own first party can take advantage of: and yeah. This is going to be incredible.

Now some of those things, are very subjective too.
Battery life: you got me. That's worse. But at the same time, Switch 2 will probably have a way better battery life than any of its competitors like the steam deck.

Screen:
This one is completely subjective too. Because the Switch 2 is going to have a bigger screen. I do admit it's a side grade. However, most of the public cannot even tell the difference between an LCD and Oled screen. For a lot of people, bigger is better. As someone who has a V1 switch, the screen is going to be a clear upgrade. Also, it's noted that the Oled is only a small portion of switch owners too.

Portability:
People said the same thing about the Switch. And most people end up purchasing a bag for their switch anyway. I think for most people it's a non issue. And again, it is massively better than the competition.

Perhaps if all of those thing matter to you, then you should just wait for a revision. We know we will get them, and yeah. Maybe just wait for the lite model to come out.

But the tech is great, way ahead of it's competition for its price point, and is going to be heavily supported. It's going to an amazing time for anyone who cares about the games.
We shouldn't be sure about the screen. The info we had could be a place holder, and there is still a lot of unknowns with specifically what is being manufactured.
Im expect Personally at least 5300MaH battery like in SD
This would increase battery life by 6% or ~10 minutes. I'm just going with a round number/ball park.

Sakurai stores his switch horizontally haha :p
dHmXfJX.jpeg

---

I see that folks have discovered Racoon's feeling about the switch 2 and in particular its size haha 😂 ..

Cheers, although I have to be cautious at times, because GB 6.0 results can differ from GB6.1, and some minor changes or additions in the tests, honestly in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, it's all just estimates eitherway.
General spread is around ~620 (1.5 GHz) - ~860 (1.9GHz) - ~980 (2.3 GHz).

Yes, but I'm also a fan of what anandtech used to do in the past !
Did a quick and dirty Geekbench 6.3 run on my desktop and laptop, and seeing the single core scores I cannot help but be a little concerned about low CPU clocks on the T239.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/6094682
https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/6094871

Ofcourse I'm well aware even the 4700U is somewhat faster than the PS5's CPU without multi-threading on paper, but do keep in mind mine's on a Windows environment and heavily power and clockspeed constrained.

Is 2.5GHz sustained simultaneously across all 8 A78C cores a realistic proposition? I know next to nothing about mobile hardware.

Last edited:
Did a quick and dirty Geekbench 6.3 run on my desktop and laptop, and seeing the single core scores I cannot help but be a little concerned about low CPU clocks on the T239.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/6094871

Ofcourse I'm well aware even the 4700U is somewhat faster than the PS5's CPU without multi-threading on paper, but do keep in mind mine's on a Windows environment and heavily power and clockspeed constrained.

Is 3.0GHz sustained simultaneously across all 8 A78C cores a realistic proposition? I know next to nothing about mobile hardware.
If 4.2W is for GPU, then im think 5-5.8W is for CPU, im wonder with 5-5.8W what clocks we have

a worse screen than the OLED model (oh but raccoon LCD is good something something OLED grain okay whatever but it's worse imo and anecdotally to a lot of people)
as much as its popularity and sales say otherwise, the swoled should know its place as the Game Boy Light of the switch models. (improved screen model, late in the console's life)

sure, there could be common complaints on how the soon-on-be-released Color wouldn't carry the backlight, but there wasn't an internet like we have to talk about those with ease, so the voices probably would not be heard anyway (outside of some JP gaming magazines at the time; GBL was JP only)

all i'm saying is, Nintendo can and will cheap out if it guarantees a brand new product at a reasonable price.
OLED is a nice thing to have at a premium, but not that much of a deal breaker in general.

Last edited:
1. 3nm fucking sucks and is barely smaller
2. It would require a huge architectural change.

3nm is the worst new node ever made until 2nm is released.
That contradicts what I know about 3nm. 4nm is essentially a optimization over 5nm, and the transistor density on different variations of both do reflect that.

TSMC's N4 4N (which Nvidia is using) has a transistor density of 143-ish million/mm^2. Compared to that TSMC's 3E node has a transistor density of 215 million/mm^2, which is a sharp 50% increase in density. I don't see how that is not a generational increase.

In fact 2nm will also similarly be an optimization of 3nm, just like 4nm is of 5nm.

Do you have a source for your info?

Last edited:
Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom