• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Nintendo has certainly cancelled a game for one machine and brought it back later, but if they've known for some time MP4 isn't going to make Switch 1 they're just making the backlash bigger by being quiet about it. But they've been so unwilling to acknowledge a post-Switch world at all that maybe they think that's the lesser evil.

Metroid Prime 4 skipping Switch 1 is near impossible.

Nintendo wants Metroid to be a big success, and they need to release the awaited game on 150+ mln consoles.

They developed the game for the original Switch. If anything, they would prefer to decrease graphics instead of release it just on NS2.

As much as I would prefer to play Prime 4 on SNG, I am leaning towards it getting the spotlight this holiday for Switch. This gives Prime 4 the premier release spot with the biggest userbase a Prime game has ever released on by a very large margin. There will be a void for Switch gamers later this year with a lack of high profile releases, and Prime 4 releasing would position it to sell better than it would have otherwise. I suspect it could move over 5 million units under these circumstances.

yea. RT being the main solution with screenspace being a fall back, like in Persona 3. when you're not balancing raster and RT in equal measure, you get a better usage out of RT, and this includes performance. it would lead to people going "where's the RT" or "you could have done this in raster" but that misses the point of even using RT to simplify things
I had no idea it worked like that. Thanks for the explanation.

I don’t see at all what would be the point of not releasing Prime 4 on the Switch 1. Not only would it deprive the game of the huge installed base, not only has the game been developed with this hardware in mind from the beginning, but in addition it is very likely that Retro will start working on the next game of the series, dedicated to the Switch 2.

I don’t see at all what would be the point of not releasing Prime 4 on the Switch 1. Not only would it deprive the game of the huge installed base, not only has the game been developed with this hardware in mind from the beginning, but in addition it is very likely that Retro will start working on the next game of the series, dedicated to the Switch 2.
Having it be cross gen, is probably the best outcome for Metroid Prime 4.
Like just having Prime 4 on switch 2 have higher resolution and framerate (also the possibility of RT) would be Nice.
Meanwhile on the switch it'll look slightly better than Metroid prime remastered and maybe run it 30fps.

I'm extremely curious if Retro will have a bigger appearance in Switch 2 compare to the switch.
I'm also curious if they have a couple of projects on the streamline. Like a New IP or a new DK game for the switch 2

Out of all the companies that work under Nintendo, I expect Monolith to impress the most tbh. What they managed to achieve with Xenoblade 3 and Xenoblade X is already insane, both looking like Early PS4 titles. Xenoblade 4 legit going to be one of the most impressive open worlds of all time tbh.

In the meantime, their next game, that new IP, probably going to be very cool. I'm curious as to if they're going to be using their own engine or UE5 for it, but I don't mind what they do. Let them make peak fiction.

I think Next Level Games will really impress with Luigi's Mansion 4 or whatever project they are working on for Switch 2.

That was in a differeny era. FH5, Horizon Forbidden West, latest Gran Turismo among others have done cross gen extremely well.

Btw I agree it likely won't be, but I'm not ruling it out
I think Nintendo needs to have more first party exclusives than PS5 to sell well. Because Ps5 get many new, third party exclusives all the time to sell the system. That won't happen for Switch 2, so they can't use the same cross gen releases Sony has done if they want Switch 2 to get big install base fast.

Imagine if they developed the next mainline pokemon game in-house and it was released along with the switch 2...
Legends Arceus had me drooling for a mainline game like it, but on a bigger scale. Hopefully we get something like that on Switch 2

Mario Kart Tour was made by EPD 9 & is referenced with "retro" tracks in MK8D, unlike spin-offs like the Arcade GP games & Live Home Circuit. Nintendo very likely considers Tour to be MK9, hence me referring to the Switch 2 entry as 10.
Normally, content from the previous game gets added to the sequel, not the other way around. Yes, Tour will eventually shut down so there's a clear reason why they ported content from the newer game to the older one, but if anything, wouldn't that give Nintendo a reason to not see Tour as 9?
I wonder if there would be a big backlash if Prime 4 is NG exclusive. It's not in the same league of Zelda and Mario.
Considering how that would mean a sudden rug-pull after they made a promise years ago, I don't see why there wouldn't be a big backlash.

As much as I would prefer to play Prime 4 on SNG, I am leaning towards it getting the spotlight this holiday for Switch. This gives Prime 4 the premier release spot with the biggest userbase a Prime game has ever released on by a very large margin. There will be a void for Switch gamers later this year with a lack of high profile releases, and Prime 4 releasing would position it to sell better than it would have otherwise. I suspect it could move over 5 million units under these circumstances.
I am on the fence with this. I was initially leaning towards a cross gen release. Seeing as how MP4 can take huge advantage of the Switch 2 new lighting techniques. At the same time, you're right, they need a big launch this holiday.

Last edited:
Ultimately it comes down to Prime 4 & what type of game it is. I don’t think it matters much if the interest along as there is interest or not. I doubt the backlash will be that severe if it was Redacted exclusive; enthusiasts will grumble but will most likely buy it anyway.

Nintendo's significance for the mp4 in the early days of switch2's release should be analogous to botw's significance for switch, both are geared towards core gamers so it doesn't matter if you want cross gen or not

For me, the outcome of mp4 will determine not only the future of the ip, but also the future of retro studios, and for now it looks like Nintendo has chosen to spend ample time polishing the quality of the game, and we'll just have to wait and see what the final outcome will be.

Can't disagree. Retro is also in the running here.

Pretty much "Nintendo with new hardware is going to be impressive in all likelyhood".
They got so much blood out of the stones that were Wii U and Switch. Capable systems, for sure, but not necessarily so compared to the competitors' boxes, and yet they achieved great results. I'd say it'll also likely be the first significant leap in graphical power since 2012 for them. I feel like we had a 2001-2012 era of Nintendo graphics (extended to 2019 by 3DS) and then the 2012-202X era. I think we're about to enter a new era. No matter what other developers do with the hardware, I expect Nintendo to really impress me with their highest profile and most technically ambitious studios, meaning teams like the Mario and Zelda EPD groups, Monolith Soft, Retro, Next Level Games, etc. I'm hoping for "wow" moments like when I saw Nintendo Land and Mario Kart 8 on Wii U or a game like Super Mario Galaxy on Wii.

Last edited:
Higher resolution means more polys are needed for the game visuals, cost and duration will be extended, I don't want them to spend too much time on polishing the visuals when they should be spending more time polishing the gameplay and the overall quality of the game

Having it be cross gen, is probably the best outcome for Metroid Prime 4.
Like just having Prime 4 on switch 2 have higher resolution and framerate (also the possibility of RT) would be Nice.
Meanwhile on the switch it'll look slightly better than Metroid prime remastered and maybe run it 30fps.

I'm extremely curious if Retro will have a bigger appearance in Switch 2 compare to the switch.
I'm also curious if they have a couple of projects on the streamline. Like a New IP or a new DK game for the switch 2
I think it’s possible that Metroid Prime 5 is already in pre-production at Retro. They completely relaunched the studio around Metroid. It is a situation that reminds a little of the one they had experienced when they had been entrusted with the first episode.

They recruited a lot of specific profiles, in all areas, who came for Prime. We must not forget that Donkey Kong Country Returns comes after the departure of many developers who wanted to move on, after recruiting different profiles, for example exes from naughty dog.

There I think that with the technical opportunities offered by the next hardware, the desire to optimize the current long work will be obvious. On the other hand, since Prime 4 should come out at the very beginning of the switch 2 lifecycle, or even before, I also expect that they can work on something else afterwards.

I hope that Donkey Kong Country will continue, but it also depends on what Nintendo EPD will do or not do with Donkey Kong.

Wanted to ask a question, is portable mode stronger than Steam deck if only based on the currently known configuration info for switch2?
Many people from this thread as speculative the best case scenario, would be that the switch 2 can be approximately about 30% stronger than the steam deck in portable mode.

My Switch 2 Pro controller is ready.

PXL-20240405-092055807.jpg

I could see Prime 4 using reconstruction (TAA) from 480p to 720p in handheld mode and 540p to 1080p in docked mode on Switch.

While on Switch 2 it runs at 1080p in handheld and 1440p in docked mode with added RT shadows or RT reflections.

It should be doable if it’s a cross gen title that pushes the old Switch hardware hard

Metroid Prime 4 skipping the Switch for Switch 2 would be a baller move by Nintendo. It's a dick move for sure but a forward thinking one that immediately adds value to the next platform regardless of the optics.

I could see Prime 4 using reconstruction (TAA) from 480p to 720p in handheld mode and 540p to 1080p in docked mode on Switch.

While on Switch 2 it runs at 1080p in handheld and 1440p in docked mode with added RT shadows or RT reflections.

It should be doable if it’s a cross gen title that pushes the old Switch hardware hard
That would certainly allow for a lot of resources to go into the assets rather than resolve, and would be impressive if they get that working on Switch 1.

That said, while jumping to 1080p with RT and better assets should track on NG Switch handheld mode, NG Switch has a lot of grunt in TV mode, theoretically, and DLSS capabilities. We could see even better asset quality with a 900p internal resolution in handheld mode for a 1080p screen, and a 1080~1440p dynamic resolution brought up to 4K, with RT, in TV mode.

Metroid Prime 4 skipping the Switch for Switch 2 would be a baller move by Nintendo. It's a dick move for sure but a forward thinking one that immediately adds value to the next platform regardless of the optics.
I think it being a cross gen game is probably the best case scenario, since Metroid Prime 4 would launch on a install base of 150+ million users. And meanwhile the switch 2 can just be a Ray tracing showcase for the switch 2.

Also my biggest hope is that Retro will be more involved with the Switch 2 by possibly making a new DK game, A new IP and hopefully Metroid prime 5.

Like Retro only output this generation was a Wii U port of DK and a extremely good Metroid prime remaster.

I’m also curious how their dev team looks like, since they’ve been hiring couple of developers who are veteran. For example a couple of workers who worked for Sony and a og battlefront dev.

Folks, they're not going to start up another Metroid Prime 4 related shitstorm by making it ReDraketed only when it has been announced, and re-announced for Switch.

It'll be cross-gen, like BotW was.

Folks, they're not going to start up another Metroid Prime 4 related shitstorm by making it ReDraketed only when it has been announced, and re-announced for Switch.

It'll be cross-gen, like BotW was.
"We thank you for your incredible patience about the premiere trailer of Metroid Prime 4"
incredible footage ensues
Fade to black

"Coming exclusively to Wii U" in 2028.

I mean this time around the specs difference will be quite large.

I’m genuinely wondering how a Metroid prime 4 for NG switch will look like. Like having it be 4K 60 DLSS with the inclusion of RT would be huge.

But I can also see prime 4 surprising a lot people with how well it’ll look on the switch.

"We thank you for your incredible patience about the premiere trailer of Metroid Prime 4"
incredible footage ensues
Fade to black

"Coming exclusively to Wii U" in 2028.

Sorry, i don't get the joke here.

I’m genuinely wondering how a Metroid prime 4 for NG switch will look like. Like having it be 4K 60 DLSS with the inclusion of RT would be huge.

But I can also see prime 4 surprising a lot people with how well it’ll look on the switch.

Doesn't matter. As long it's in a somewhat enjoyable state, that's enough to "keep the promise". Those who would get it on Switch 1 are the people who don't care about FPS and resolution to begin with, and the rest are likely enthusiasts and up to ReDraketed Day 1.

Prime 1 Remastered is already one of the most gorgeous game on the system and it runs at 60 FPS.

And they all are also on pc.
PS5 has no exclusives.
Yeah but they drive demand for those that are console gamers at least. The likes of FF7 Rebirth, Ronin, Stellar Blade and many more. Nintendo does not strike such deals with third parties reguarly, so they will have to move towards Switch 2 exclusives very fast compared to Sony.

Yeah but they drive demand for those that are console gamers at least. The likes of FF7 Rebirth, Ronin, Stellar Blade and many more. Nintendo does not strike such deals with third parties reguarly, so they will have to move towards Switch 2 exclusives very fast compared to Sony.
I'd rather have them focused on striking deals with studios that have been making REAL exclusives for their consoles (like platinum games with the Bayonetta series) than Nintendo trying to get multiple timed exclusives that don't even last more than 1~2 years.

To be clear, I don't like the big 3 making timed exclusivity deals with third parties for games that will be on PC and everywhere else later on.
But considering that most of these games are shipping with denuvo on pc and I'm not buying a PS5, I'd rather wait to play on switch/switch 2.

I'd rather have them focused on striking deals with studios that have been making REAL exclusives for their consoles (like platinum games with the Bayonetta series) than Nintendo trying to get multiple timed exclusives that don't even last more than 1~2 years.

To be clear, I don't like the big 3 making timed exclusivity deals with third parties for games that will be on PC and everywhere else later on.
But considering that most of these games are shipping with denuvo on pc and I'm not buying a PS5, I'd rather wait to play on switch/switch 2.
I can see platinum games making a couple of exclusives, since Astral chain was a success and possibly the best review platinum game, other than possibly Nier automata (it also sold pretty well)

I agree, but i think the lack of third party exclusives makes it more likely that Nintendo will not have several years of cross gen first party releases like Sony has moved towards, because for Nintendo the first party exclusives will be the main selling point for people to move from Switch 1 to Switch 2. While Sony not only get all the third party games on the market, they also get exclusive third party games so for them not having many first party exclusives to get people to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is not a big problem.

Kind of overthinking it, Nintendo won't have a lack of exclusives as long as they have a lot of small and medium sized first party games in development, while the revenue from those small and medium sized games supply one or two large production games a generation as far as profit margins are concerned

I agree, but i think the lack of third party exclusives makes it more likely that Nintendo will not have several years of cross gen first party releases like Sony has moved towards, because for Nintendo the first party exclusives will be the main selling point for people to move from Switch 1 to Switch 2. While Sony not only get all the third party games on the market, they also get exclusive third party games so for them not having many first party exclusives to get people to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is not a big problem.
Only way of getting good third party support is if most third party decide to develop to the switch 2, then upscale for Sony and Microsoft. Something similar to monster Hunter rise.

If the switch 2 is an instant success, then I can see it happening. Because switch 2 will have I think an 7-8 year life span.

Meanwhile I can see Sony getting the usual big budgeted games like FF16.

While Nintendo will get smaller budgeted and more stylised exclusives.

(Oops didn’t read that right)

Only way of getting good third party support is if most third party decide to develop to the switch 2, then upscale for Sony and Microsoft. Something similar to monster Hunter rise.

If the switch 2 is an instant success, then I can see it happening. Because switch 2 will have I think an 7-8 year life span.

Meanwhile I can see Sony getting the usual big budgeted games like FF16.

While Nintendo will get smaller budgeted and more stylised exclusives.

(Oops didn’t read that right)
Also if Nintendo would be willing to moneyhat more for exclusivity, something they rarely do compared to Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo bought exclusivity for Octopath Traveller, Astral Chain and Bayonetta, so it happens sometimes.

Also if Nintendo would be willing to moneyhat more for exclusivity, something they rarely do compared to Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo bought exclusivity for Octopath Traveller, Astral Chain and Bayonetta, so it happens sometimes.
In the case of Bayonetta they outright funded the remastering work on Bayonetta 1, along with the whole production of 2, 3 and Origins. Sega still owns the franchise but Nintendo outright owns most of the franchise's games, just not the title and character.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nintendo purchase it outright, or even buy Platinum if the agreement is favourable enough. Platinum would probably want to be allowed self-publish on other platforms even under Nintendo.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft, which are two integrated companies, Nintendo is a company that has video game and its hardware development as its absolute core business, so it's impossible for Nintendo to rely on any third-party exclusives to provide prestige for its platform, which is why Nintendo has a large number of second-party companies that develop games for them compared to Sony and Microsoft

MP4 will not be a Cross gen game?
There was someone here who mentioned that MP4 being on the Switch would sell because of the large user base. However, both twilight princess and botw sold like 1 million on the previous gen console and the current consol at the time had like 90% of the sales. So wouldn't it be be best for MP4 to be cross gen.
My guess is that if it has RT, it won't be obvious
100% this. The way Mario world is. I jist don't think it will be necessary. I think the MVP will be HDR and the hair rendering.
the only cross-gen i could imagine coming for both Switch and it sucessor is Metroid Prime 4
Pretty much the same and if we get backwards compatibility enhancement then that definitely means only MP4 will get an actual port to NGS.

In the case of Bayonetta they outright funded the remastering work on Bayonetta 1, along with the whole production of 2, 3 and Origins. Sega still owns the franchise but Nintendo outright owns most of the franchise's games, just not the title and character.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Nintendo purchase it outright, or even buy Platinum if the agreement is favourable enough. Platinum would probably want to be allowed self-publish on other platforms even under Nintendo.
I think Nintendo would purchase platinum games if they would accept, helping with first party development, like monoliths software.

And with that they’ll get funding and most of their games should hit the minimum of 1-2 million copies sold, just like xenoblade.

Plus I can see Nintendo pushing platinum games to make more mature title, to please an wider audience. Just like xenoblade.

Since the switch brand is mostly about having games for everyone, I can see Nintendo sticking to that brand image the switch has build.

There was someone here who mentioned that MP4 being on the Switch would sell because of the large user base. However, both twilight princess and botw sold like 1 million on the previous gen console and the current consol at the time had like 90% of the sales. So wouldn't it be be best for MP4 to be cross gen.

Those games had a (pretty much) simultaneous release on both systems. I'm not ruling out MP4 as a holiday release this year (would lean this way), which would give it 3-6 months on just the Switch. Plus not super convinced it'll have a super upgraded version on Switch 2 anyway.

Why do you think mp4 will be available on switch for a while before logging into switch2. looking at the timing so far, mp4 is 99% sure to log into switch2 as soon as it's synchronized

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom