• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Maaaan how much more awful the Switch experience would be if one couldn't just swap out Joy-Cons that are no longer behaving properly.
Great point. That convinces me even more Nintendo isn't going this route (making Joycons non-detachable)

Like, if you are primarily handheld, one or both of sides is drifting or not functioning anymore. You have to send the entire unit in for repair.

Bad choice.

The only X that's risky here is Camera.
Every Nintendo console released since 2006 has had one in the box, from Wii to Switch. I don't think it's that risky, but expecting it to be on the console instead of... The controller, where it has always been on Nintendo's home consoles, that's setting oneself up for befuddlement.

Every Nintendo console released since 2006 has had one in the box, from Wii to Switch. I don't think it's that risky, but expecting it to be on the console instead of... The controller, where it has always been on Nintendo's home consoles, that's setting oneself up for befuddlement.
The T239 dedicates significant silicon to the OFA, which won't be much use without a camera. Which is kinda strange in a custom soc.

But it would be useless in docked mode, so yea it's a stretch.

At the very least I see no way nintendo is sticking with the same joycons unless it's their attempt to keep costs low and frankly I would be very disappointed if they don't move on from the current joycons considering how low quality they are.

I also think the segment was way off base where it was suggested that even though the console will have BC and enhancement patches will be possible, Nintendo would still choose to require rebuying separate Switch 2 versions of their old games.

Which would Nintendo rather have: Enhancement patches which are cheap to develop and still drive evergreen sales from people who didn't already own the games, while also incentivizing those who owned the games previously to upgrade their console? Or separately purchased Switch 2 rereleases that cost more to develop but still have to be priced attractively, possibly lower than the price of the Switch 1 title as an evergreen, while turning off the previous owners?

Sometimes I find that the banal observation of "companies just want to make money" mutates into "companies don't care how consumers will react to their decisions," like that's not a factor in how much money they make! If nobody wants your paid repurchased games, you don't make money. And free patches are still a money maker, serving the same purpose as all the free content updates that many Nintendo titles receive -- which aren't done out of the goodness of anyone's heart, they're done to make money -- and yet you don't hear anyone saying that Nintendo is going to make the Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies paid DLC next time around.

The one comparison people usually fall back on is Nintendo reselling Wii U games. For starters, there was no backwards compatibility, so a rerelease was the only option to play those games, and there was no lower-cost patch-type development option available to Nintendo. But more importantly, no one bought a Wii U. The primary audience for those releases was not people who owned them previously! Tropical Freeze sold 4.6M compared to 2M on Wii U, and NSMBUDX sold a whopping 17.2M compared to 5.9M! We can be very certain that a standalone Switch 2 SKU of Bayonetta 3 (the example used in the podcast) will not see that kind of boost from being rereleased on a console starting out 140M units behind the one where it released originally.

The T239 dedicates significant silicon to the OFA, which won't be much use without a camera. Which is kinda strange in a custom soc.

If the dock is similar enough to the current one, then a Switch 2 with a camera at the top would point maybe at players if sitting under a TV while in docked mode.

I don't like the idea of an internet connected camera pointing into my living room.

A new low for the thread -

Nintendo will ship their new next generation console without a controller.

🤩
And I fool thought it couldn’t get any lower after that taiwanese fake leak. But atleast we have an alltime high of unregistered guests (which results in minutes of loading).
(Edit: and apparently also in the illusion of double posts, Famiboards Developers, we need help.)

Last edited:
A new low for the thread -

Nintendo will ship their new next generation console without a controller.

🤩
How is this even logical? Why would Nintendo…??

Forget it, I give up!

The discourse surrounding the successor has always been entertaining at some level, but this isn’t…

I think the Joy-Cons are synonymous enough with the Switch that they will get an update for Switch 2- hopefully bringing some improvements to things like battery life maybe but overall keeping the innovations that the original Joy-Cons brought to the table.

I think they’re decent controllers myself, especially for handheld play. I’m definitely interested to see what they do with the Switch Pro Controller though - that thing is SOLID. Easily one of the best-feeling controllers ever - I actually like it more than DualSense in that regard. I wonder if they will update it for Switch 2 as well, maybe bring it up to snuff with the DualSense or DualShock by keeping things like accelerometer and gyroscope support but adding things like analog triggers or trigger effects.

the speed of these chips are all the same
...yeah, that's basically what I'm saying, basing it on the assumption that the chip is the same speed.

A 6GB chip at the same speed as a 12GB would mean two 6GB chips could be faster than a single 12GB chip, you could transfer twice as much data in the same time.

Sorry if this was posted before but the Q&A for the investor meeting has been posted on the Japan website.
They will provide proper English translation eventually, I took a couple of minutes to do machine-translations. Forgive the formatting issues, I didn't want to do more than just copying n pasting machine translations. Remember, machine translations = potentially improper translations, so if you want accurate version, wait for official English translation.

Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Attendees: Representative Director and President Shuntaro Furukawa, Executive Officer Hajime Murakami
*The main questions and answers at the financial results briefing (online) are as follows. Regarding the contents of the description,
Some additions and corrections have been made to make it easier to understand.
*When quoting part of the text, please be sure to clearly indicate the source or link to this file. Please...

Q1: The Nintendo Switch is now in its seventh year since its release, and was previously described as entering "uncharted territory."
Looking back at the period leading up to the end of the sales season, please tell us your evaluation of the Nintendo Switch business during the current period. Also, The strong Nintendo Switch business has an impact on the release timing of new hardware. I would also like to know if it works.

A1: 1 Representative Director and President Shuntaro Furukawa:
Last year, as Nintendo Switch celebrated its seventh year since its release, we celebrated the history of our dedicated game console business.
The company expects to sell 15 million hardware units and 180 million software units in the seventh year.
I explained that we were entering ``uncharted territory'' because there had never been a similar case. Under such circumstances, the sales letter for the current period
Looking back at the current situation, hardware sales have been steady since the first half, and there was a certain level of sales during the year-end sales season.
I think we were able to achieve results. Seven years after its launch, the platform continues to attract new customers.
However, by creating a good balance between new demand and demand for multiple units,
We have previously stated that we would like to continue the momentum of the business. During this year-end sales season, especially new
Many of our customers have picked up Nintendo Switch, and this will affect the future of Nintendo Switch business.
We also see this as a positive element.
Regarding software, although the overall sales volume was slightly lower than the same period last year,
"The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom", "Pikmin 4", "Super Mario Bros. Wonder"
We released new titles from our representative IP, such as Yahoo!, which were played by many customers. own company
From the perspective of continuing to release software, we will increase the popularity of these series going forward.
In that sense, I believe it has been a significant year.
Regarding new hardware, we are constantly researching and developing new hardware and software.
However, there is nothing more I can tell you. Also, as I mentioned earlier, recently,
Articles and speculations are reported, mainly on the internet, that appear to be information published by our company.
You may. However, all customers and investors are responsible for information that has not been officially announced by the Company.
It may also confuse you. Check out the information we send from our official website and SNS
We hope that you will make an appropriate decision based on this information. In addition, preparation of new hardware and
This is something that takes a long time and is carefully planned, so it is important to keep in mind the latest business situation.
Therefore, such plans will not be affected.

Q2:
In the current fiscal year, "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" was a hit, and "mobile/IP-related revenue, etc."
Sales have been strong, but what was the impact on profitability? Also, initiatives other than movies
How do you think sales of “mobile/IP-related revenue, etc.” will trend over the medium term?
Will it be?

A2:
Furukawa:
In addition to the increase in regular royalty income, the
Mobile/IP-related revenue, etc.'' sales decreased from the same period of the previous year due to sales related to -B''.
There has been a significant increase in the ratio. Some of the revenue related to movies continues to be generated even after the movie is released in theaters.
Although there is some revenue, most of it is box office revenue from showings at movie theaters. Therefore, in the current fiscal year, we
We believe that the increase in sales of "Image/IP-related revenues, etc." is largely due to a temporary factor due to the release of movies in theaters.
vinegar. Billing revenue from mobile apps has decreased compared to the same period last year, but there is also the effect of movies.
Number of downloads and active users of `Super Mario Run'' and `Mario Kart Tour'' increase
doing.
In the current fiscal year, operating income was
Profits increased. The reason for this is not only the exchange rate impact of the weaker yen, but also the
We believe that this is largely due to an increase in "related income, etc."
From a medium-term perspective, compared to when we began our full-fledged efforts to ``expand the number of people exposed to Nintendo IP,''
The amount of royalty income other than movies is also increasing and is continuing to grow. IP exhibition
Our top priority in our development efforts is to increase the value of Nintendo IP and create points of contact with customers.
The goal is to revitalize the dedicated game machine business, and in this field that has grown to its current scale,
We would like to work to ensure that we can generate stable profits.

Q3:
Regarding software sales, the number of sales for the popular title "Pokémon Scarlet" in the same period of the previous year was
Despite the release of ``Violet,'' sales have not fallen significantly compared to the same period last year.
I think "Super Mario Bros. Wonder" made a big contribution during the three months of the third quarter (October to December).
However, classic titles such as "Super Smash Bros. SPECIAL" and "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe"
It appears that sales of the product were also strong. Was it supported by increased exposure, including movie distribution?

A3:
Furukawa:
In the current fiscal year, we released `The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom'' and `Pikmin 4,'' which were released in the first half of the fiscal year.
The company's new releases such as "Super Mario Bros. Wonder" and "Super Mario RPG" released in the third quarter
Software sales were strong. In addition, with the release of the movie, Mario related products released before the previous
Sales of series titles also increased. “Splatoon 3” and “Pokémon
Compared to the previous fiscal year (ended March 2023), when “Scarlet Violet” was released,
Although the overall sales volume of clothing has decreased slightly, I believe that we have been able to maintain a certain level of sales.

“Super Mario Bros. Wonder” was the biggest driver during the year-end sales season, but at the same timeSales of titles by software manufacturers are also increasing, with a good balance of sales of both our own and other companies, new releases and standard titles.We were able to increase sales.
``Super Mario Bros. Wonder'' is growing sales at a faster pace than previous Mario series games.
I am. In addition to the fact that the content of the game itself has been well-received by customers, the game can be played by two or more people together.
I think the title is also a factor. Approximately half of the users of this title play multiplayer.
The game was played at the end of the year, and it probably matched the needs of a large group of people playing together at the end of the year, when people gather together.
I see it as a squid. In addition, ``The Super Mario Bros. Movie'' is being streamed around the world.
Streaming distribution is underway. Even though the theatrical release has ended, more and more people are seeing the new Mario movie.
We believe that this is one of the reasons behind the strong sales of ``Super Mario Bros. Wonder.''
I am.

Q4:
By subtracting the sales results up to the third quarter from the revised full-year forecast sales volume, the sales volume for the fourth quarter (January to March
It can be calculated that the expected hardware sales volume in February is less than 1.8 million units. This is the fourth quarter.
Although this is a very low level, do you think it is a reasonable number? In addition, the expected sales volume of hardware for the next fiscal year
I would also like to know your thoughts on this.

A4:
Furukawa:
Hardware sales are generally progressing as expected, but we would like to discuss the sales situation for the third quarter.
In light of this, we have increased our forecast sales volume for the year by 500,000 units. The outlook for the fourth quarter is basically the same as at the beginning of the period.
No changes have been made from the point. We hope that sales of the Nintendo Switch, now in its 8th year of release, will remain at the same level as before.
We believe that it is not easy to maintain this standard.
Regarding the expected hardware sales volume for the next fiscal year, we will announce the business results forecast for the next fiscal year when we announce the full-year financial results for the current fiscal year.
I would like to explain my thoughts on this, but basically the Nintendo Switch sales stand is already in "uncharted territory".
I think it will be difficult to increase the number next fiscal year (at the same pace as in the past).
vinegar. However, during this year-end sales season, many customers around the world are newly picking up the Nintendo Switch.
As a result, we were able to continue to maintain a high level of hardware operation. Next term too
Many companies and software manufacturers are planning to release new software, so
By continuing to emphasize the appeal of already released software, we will increase the momentum of the Nintendo Switch business as a whole.
We would like to maintain this.

Q5:
Since the release of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo's approach to the life cycle of hardware has changed.
I think it is. Differences from past platforms and what to focus on as we proceed with research and development of next-generation machines
I would like to know what you are doing.

A5:
Furukawa:
The major difference between Nintendo Switch and past platforms is that it differs from traditional handheld game consoles to
This is the integration of two platforms, the tabletop game consoles, into one. Thereby, soft
We are now able to concentrate our software development resources on Nintendo Switch. Continuously new software
The fact that we are able to release new products has resulted in a longer life cycle than in the past.
What we value most as we look to the future is to create new entertainment that is uniquely Nintendo and offers surprises.
Our goal is to provide the following. As we continue to offer Nintendo's unique entertainment, we are currently focusing on hardware.
We believe that a dedicated game machine business that integrates software and software is optimal, and we will continue to conduct research based on this policy.
We will continue to work on development.
Another point that is different from past platforms is that the Nintendo Switch
In collaboration with N.A., we have worked to popularize Nintendo Accounts. D
Tendo accounts are important points of contact for maintaining long-term connections with customers, and
Not only can it be used during migration, but it can also be used to help customers who have been away from the game for a while.
When a customer becomes interested in Nintendo's unique entertainment offerings, we connect with them again.
I believe that it is also important as a means to achieve this goal. From that perspective, a Nintendo Account is important.
I believe that this will continue to be the case.

Q6:
(At a management policy briefing held last November)
There was also talk about ``The Super Mario Bros. Movie'' being watched by many people. Movie
Based on the success of the Nintendo Switch, we plan to expand the Nintendo Switch console to regions where it is not currently sold.
Are you thinking of expanding your business?

A6:
Furukawa:
In the regions where "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" is shown and distributed, we will contact Nintendo.
It's much wider than the countries and regions where Switch is sold. Under such circumstances, Central and South America, especially Messenger,
In response to the favorable reception of ``The Super Mario Bros. Movie'' in Mexico, this year-end sales season
carried out promotions that focused more on Mexico than ever before. As a result, the hardware
While overall sales volume decreased, sales in Mexico increased. We also have sales channels in Southeast Asia.
We are expanding our business and are working to help more customers learn about Nintendo.
Masu. In these regions, we will first create connections with customers through Nintendo Switch and build upon that foundation.
I would like to utilize this knowledge in my future business.

Q7:
Please tell us a little more about how you would like to use the movie as an opportunity to expand sales in "other" regions.
I want to dig deeper. I think there are various bottlenecks when developing business in "other" regions.
I would like to know what kind of problems there are and whether there is a possibility of fundamentally solving them. In particular, hardware
I think the price of A is becoming an issue.What do you think?

A7:
Furukawa:
In "other" regions, the price of hardware is an issue for business development.
Up until now, it has been difficult to find a way to develop our business centered on dedicated game consoles, but this fiscal year
We now have an opportunity for people to experience our IP through a different medium: movies. games, including mobile apps.
Activities to increase awareness of Nintendo in such areas by utilizing means other than dedicated game consoles
It is becoming possible to do this.
Last year, we opened pop-up stores of the official store in Japan, in South Korea, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
The event was also held at malls, etc., and a large number of customers visited and purchased goods. Ma
Also, regarding theme parks, there are `Universal Studios Japan'' and `Universal Studios''.
Following `Super Nintendo'', `Super Nintendo'' will also be held in Orlando, USA, and Singapore.
- World” is scheduled to open.
Even in regions where hardware prices have been an issue up until now, IP has encouraged people to become familiar with Nintendo.
We hope that customers will be able to own and ultimately play on dedicated game consoles, which is our core business.
We will continue to carry out various initiatives in the future.

Q8:
Will The Legend of Zelda movie's story be based on an already released game or an entirely new one?
I would like to know if it will be a story.

A8:
Furukawa:
In November of last year, we began planning and developing a live-action movie based on The Legend of Zelda.
I announced what I had done. The producers of this film are Shigeru Miyamoto, our representative director and fellow, and Arad
Co-directed by Avi Arad, president of Productions Inc. and producer of many blockbuster movies.
To do. There is nothing I can discuss today regarding the release date or content of the movie, so please wait for further updates.
Please wait.

Q9:
Nintendo has a solid system in place for both dedicated game consoles and IP development efforts.
looks like. However, looking back at the past, we see that there have been many changes such as the introduction of other companies' hardware and the expansion of mobile games.
I think external factors also had an impact on Nintendo's business. Recently, new entertainment has appeared.
The field, and the game itself, continues to change. In the external environment surrounding Nintendo's business,
Please let me know if there are any risks that I should be especially careful about in the future.

A9:
Furukawa:
We always approach our business every day with a strong sense of crisis. Dedicated game machine business
Changing the generation of platforms is not an easy task. A successful platform
I have experienced many difficult times after the form, so I have no idea that the current situation is rock solid.
there is no. Furthermore, as you have pointed out, our business is constantly exposed to intense competition. widely entertained
- In terms of entertainment, it's not just video games, but a lot of other forms of entertainment that are competing with each other.
It's an ugly industry. Under these circumstances, we will continue to offer unique proposals so that our customers can choose us.
Now more than ever, you need to be a brand that stands out.
In order to continue proposing original entertainment that can be enjoyed by customers all over the world, we must continue to develop both hardware and software.
We believe that the best strategy at this point is to continue our integrated dedicated game machine business. That idea
We are conducting a variety of research and development activities under the company, but our products, which are not daily necessities, need to be interesting.
If you do that, they won't turn around right away. Therefore, we want to make Nintendo familiar even in places other than dedicated game consoles.
We will continue our efforts to make Nintendo IP feel good, and we hope that customers who continue to support Nintendo IP over the long term will continue to do so.
We recognize the importance of increasing our customer base and maintaining connections with our customers.

...yeah, that's what I'm saying.

A 6GB chip at the same speed as a 12GB would mean two 6GB chips could be faster than a single 12GB chip, you could transfer twice as much data in the same time.
I thought two 64-bit-wide chips were the same speed as a single 128-bit-wide chip. I'm trying to remember things from high school electronics, and that may only pertain to DRAM from the late 80s or early 90s.

I thought two 64-bit-wide chips were the same speed as a single 128-bit-wide chip. I'm trying to remember things from high school electronics, and that may only pertain to DRAM from the late 80s or early 90s.
That would be true; but a 6GB and a 12GB RAM chip of otherwise equal specs would mean that 6GB chips would be faster than the sole 12GB chip.

That would be true; but a 6GB and a 12GB RAM chip of otherwise equal specs would mean that 6GB chips would be faster than the sole 12GB chip.
Right, but we're talking about BUS width and the number of pins on the chip and connections to the silicon doubling to get us double the speed. It's not so much about the number of chips, but the number of data lanes.

The one comparison people usually fall back on is Nintendo reselling Wii U games. For starters, there was no backwards compatibility, so a rerelease was the only option to play those games, and there was no lower-cost patch-type development option available to Nintendo. But more importantly, no one bought a Wii U. The primary audience for those releases was not people who owned them previously! Tropical Freeze sold 4.6M compared to 2M on Wii U, and NSMBUDX sold a whopping 17.2M compared to 5.9M! We can be very certain that a standalone Switch 2 SKU of Bayonetta 3 (the example used in the podcast) will not see that kind of boost from being rereleased on a console starting out 140M units behind the one where it released originally.
I want to quickly go a bit deeper on this point specifically. While, yes, the Wii U game reselling was kind of annoying, it genuinely needs to be stressed how badly the Wii U did. 13 million units for a console is not enough to cover the development costs of every game on the system, even if the attachment rate reaches the wonderful world of "okay". Nintendo needed to retroactively recoup their costs from those games, hence why we got so many Wii U ports in the first few years of the system's life. Besides, it was a cheap way to get good games onto the system after the struggle to survive throughout 2012-2017.

There is no financial incentive to do the exact same on a new system outside of an enhancement patch that will likely entice new Switch 2 buyers to play their Switch 1 games or potentially adding a smaller 5-10 dollar fee to get a lot of money guaranteed for fans of those pre-existing titles. I guarantee that Nintendo would make far more money with those "Next-gen Upgrades" than full reselling, and I think Nintendo knows that as well as i do.

That's correct. But two RAM modules can run on dual-channel whereas one RAM module can only run on single-channel.

Right, but we're talking about BUS width and the number of pins on the chip and connections to the silicon doubling to get us double the speed. It's not so much about the number of chips, but the number of data lanes.
Yep. Which is what I'm talking about, so I'm not sure what your point is.

And neither is practical.
Is it, though? I didn't necessarily agree with when they sold n3DS without a power adapter, but that was because they figured so many adapters were already out in the wild and it would just be wasteful and needlessly expensive to include them. 140 million Switches out there, minus however many Lites were sold, means they already have a fair amount of Docks out in homes. Sure, some folks might need a new Dock they can buy separate if they want more than 1080p, and I fully expect the OLED Dock was intentionally made futureproof with HDMI 2.0 even if it was cheaper to get than HDMI 1.4, but I think for now 4K TVs aren't nearly at saturation where some people are content with a 1080p panel. Be a way to easily shave ~$50 off the pricetag and mean less packing material used to reduce shipping costs.

why not both? sell a steam deck esque switch 2 with just a power adapter, then sell the dock and TV controller separately
That is also what I expect; two separate SKU bundles with one having all the necessary accessories for someone being introduced to the Switch ecosystem for the first time, and something for the existing Switch owner who doesn't need all the extra accessories, or wants something cheaper to pick up a dock later, or someone who just doesn't intend to use it docked and doesn't want to wait for a Switch 2 Lite.

I fall in the latter camp, and $450USD or less is the only way I can realistically hope to at least fight to get this day one if all the optimistic rumours are true.

That's correct. But two RAM modules can run on dual-channel whereas one RAM module can only run on single-channel.
I've been under the impression that one 128 bit ram module was the same as two 64 bit ones, but not my area of expertise. This is all stuff about OG DRAM, so maybe something is different with the newer tech.

why not both? sell a steam deck esque switch 2 with just a power adapter, then sell the dock and TV controller separately

Option 1:
Stick with the proposition that has made the Switch one of the top selling gaming systems of all time with well over a hundred million sold and brought an era of record profits for the company.

Option 2:
Change to the proposition of a niche device that has sold several million.

Decisions like these are why Furukawa is paid the big bucks.

Option 1:
Stick with the proposition that has made the Switch one of the top selling gaming systems of all time with well over a hundred million sold and brought an era of record profits for the company.

Option 2:
Change to the proposition of a niche device that has sold several million.

Decisions like these are why Furukawa is paid the big bucks.
I agree but everything we know about it implies option 2

What... They already use the same kind of haptics.
Correct, at least the same companies solution. The Dualsense has a larger module, but the Joy-Cons have one in each Joy-Con.

I cannot speak to Sony or Nintendo dev tools w/r to actually using the haptics.

The only way I can see built-in joycons (like Switch Lite) working with Switch 2 is if they provide a separate controller out of the box.

Personally I don't think that's something Nintendo would do, it adds too much to the cost of SKU.

Edit: Damn, Famiboards is moving like molasses now. 289 members online, 542 non-members online. Nearly 2/3 of traffic is from non-members..
Everyone Join! We have Ice-cream!

The Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA) can also be used for video encode, which can definitely be useful for video games. (One example is that John Linneman mentioned that Dragon Quest XI S on Nintendo Switch uses VP9 encode for the CGI cutscenes to reduce the file size whilst maintaining a comparable quality to the CGI cutscenes for Dragon Quest XI on PlayStation 4.)

So the OFA can still be beneficial without a camera.

I take the no joycon discourse and counter it with my own rumour.

Switch 2 ships with joycons and new mandatory toecons. These are Bluetooth, motion sensing, pressure sensitive sandals. The reveal features toecons in various stylish designs and the roof party scene is replaced with a beach party.

Second hand market gonna be booming for these.

Can't wait for Nintendo prime to do a video on these.

Watching that video is like watching two guys who don’t really follow this thread that much, come in this thread and discuss their personal speculation and thoughts about a few topics.

Which is fine, I guess the purpose of this video is to condense some stuff people theorize on enthusiasts forums and put it on YouTube for casuals, but none of what was talked about is anything new or compelling. And arguably very little made sense in terms of sound theory. Lot of projection.

The least important thing about Switch are the removable joycons? lol ok…

I do believe in an end of March announcement though. That’s sensible and extremely possible/likely.

Is it, though? I didn't necessarily agree with when they sold n3DS without a power adapter, but that was because they figured so many adapters were already out in the wild and it would just be wasteful and needlessly expensive to include them. 140 million Switches out there, minus however many Lites were sold, means they already have a fair amount of Docks out in homes. Sure, some folks might need a new Dock they can buy separate if they want more than 1080p, and I fully expect the OLED Dock was intentionally made futureproof with HDMI 2.0 even if it was cheaper to get than HDMI 1.4, but I think for now 4K TVs aren't nearly at saturation where some people are content with a 1080p panel. Be a way to easily shave ~$50 off the pricetag and mean less packing material used to reduce shipping costs.

That is also what I expect; two separate SKU bundles with one having all the necessary accessories for someone being introduced to the Switch ecosystem for the first time, and something for the existing Switch owner who doesn't need all the extra accessories, or wants something cheaper to pick up a dock later, or someone who just doesn't intend to use it docked and doesn't want to wait for a Switch 2 Lite.

I fall in the latter camp, and $450USD or less is the only way I can realistically hope to at least fight to get this day one if all the optimistic rumours are true.
Hdr will probably be the biggest upgrade with these games. Why make it so the majority of people can’t enjoy it without spending even more, also every TV sold today that isn’t crap, is a 4K TV.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom