• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

200w.gif
This was so good hahah

Not at this time.

Something has come up concerning the subject matter & I want to investigate it further before addressing the topic. Releasing an episode & not investigating this particular bit of information would be ill-advised.
What has come up?

Is it in regards to the hardware itself (processing power potential) or something like the release window/positioning?

Not at this time.

Something has come up concerning the subject matter & I want to investigate it further before addressing the topic. Releasing an episode & not investigating this particular bit of information would be ill-advised.
Nintendo buying all konami's IPs confirmed

Not at this time.

March 2023 launch confirmed.

Not at this time.

Thank you very much as always Nate for your replys! 😊

Hopefully it is something good 👍

People are begging for Wind Waker HD as this year’s Zelda title but I could really go for a 4K update for Breath of the Wild instead. Would be a great lead in to the release of the sequel.

And yeah this could probably go into the Zelda thread but this lot at least has some people on the revision 2022 train

People are begging for Wind Waker HD as this year’s Zelda title but I could really go for a 4K update for Breath of the Wild instead. Would be a great lead in to the release of the sequel.

And yeah this could probably go into the Zelda thread but this lot at least has some people on the revision 2022 train
vp1isg1rdsxg.gif

the switch doesn't even have a strong enough gpu to pull something like that.maybe drake could but that ain't coming out this year realistically.
pro model aint happening to make this a viable strategy anyway.also wouldn't really qualify as a new zelda release either.

Last edited:
the switch doesn't even have a strong enough gpu to pull something like that.maybe drake could but that ain't coming out this year realistically.
besides,even if they did put a 4k breath of the wild wouldn't it make more sense to just update the game to put in a resolution mode that upscales the game to 4k? especially if you still believe in a "pro" model that is never happening.
I think karmitt was talking about new hardware, not the Nintendo Switch, when talking about a 4K update for Breath of the Wild.

Hopefully the thread doesn’t go into circles…. Again… for the next few pages.

There’s a Ringfit joke somewhere that applies to this thread.

Both is good. But I’d probably pass on WWHD

Yep. And I expect less poo-pooing on 2022 revision here
lol on most boards you still see even more copium regarding a switch pro,still clinging to charlatans like newmarkomaro and samushunter.the only "evidence" to support the existence of a revision is nate doubling down on his previous claims and frankly it's hard to tell if this is based on actual insider knowledge or if he'sunderstandably reluctant to admit that he was wrong or at the very least got his wires crossed like bloomberg did.
even then now he's starting to say 2023.
drake being a pro model would be completely unprecedented for a refresh both in power differential and the fact that its based on completely new architecture.
i don't see this being any more of a "switch "pro than the xbox series x being the "xbox one x pro" tbh.

lol on most boards you still see even more copium regarding a switch pro,still clinging to charlatans like newmarkomaro and samushunter.the only "evidence" to support the existence of a revision is nate doubling down on his previous claims and frankly it's hard to tell if this is based on actual insider knowledge or if he'sunderstandably reluctant to admit that he was wrong or at the very least got his wires crossed like bloomberg did.
drake being a pro model would be completely unprecedented for a refresh both in power differential and the fact that its based on completely new architecture.
i don't see this being any more of a "switch "pro than the xbox series x being the "xbox one x pro" tbh.
Have you actually read the first post? It kinda shows the power of the system.

Also they literally can't use the same CPU as the OG Switch so hardware wise it is a legit next generation leap (A57 (Weaker than XBO) to A78 (Can actually get close to Series S), weaker than XBO GPU, all the way to a GPU that might beat the Series S's before DLSS and is more or less guaranteed to beat the Series S's GPU after DLSS)

Have you actually read the first post? It kinda shows the power of the system.

Also they literally can't use the same CPU as the OG Switch so hardware wise it is a legit next generation leap (A57 (Weaker than XBO) to A78 (Can actually get close to Series S), weaker than XBO GPU, all the way to a GPU that might beat the Series S's before DLSS and is more or less guaranteed to beat the Series S's GPU after DLSS)
that's kind of my point.any hope for a revision at this point is foolish imo.i imagine nintendo will position it similarly to how microsoft positioned the series x.you'll be able to play at least a large portion of the switchs library out of the box and they'll run better than ever.at the same time though you won't need to go out of your way to get one since most first party games will still be crossgen for at least a year or so.

Saying it's 'unprecedented' is a moot point seeing as the precedent set for a 'pro' revision is literally one generation of consoles. We've been told by Nate that he expects it to be a revision, this has not changed, and I've no reason to doubt him. Nintendo has defined successors in recent history by their functionality, not necessarily by their specs, another reason why comparisons to Sony/MS aren't necessarily relevant. I frankly don't care to further discuss whether this is a revision or a successor at this point - it is what Nintendo wants it to be, and how they choose to market it over the next several years.

I've already posted in here why 2022 seems like a reasonable date for launch, especially if we're assuming the alternative is early 2023. I don't see how any of this is outlandish or just 'copium'. I'm going to go ahead and drop off from this, it's just too easy to go in circles on both these topics.

I wonder if the work done on the Skyward Sword is easily portable enough for WW and TP.

I also naively hope for a less than $60 price. . . He says before buying WW for a third time.
We got a wii remaster for $60. I definitely expect Nintendo to charge $60, 60fps and further graphical updates/QoL updates or not.

Yeah I fully expect WWHD and TPHD to be completely separate $60 releases.
I can see it being separate releases but unless they add something to the package, I'd expect it to be $50 released with some sort of combo bundle for a small discount. I don't think Nintendo will do $60 and there's a lot of Switch releases that don't go straight to $60

100%

I will be slightly angry about it, grumble to myself and then buy them both anyway.

Plus I will love playing them all over again.

I purchased a WiiU with a broken laser for £50 and repaired it just to play them last time.

Separate for sure, but I'm not sure Nintendo would port a remaster of a game, add nothing to it, and charge 60 bucks. I can see them both being $49.99. Skyward Sword HD was a brand new remaster that had significant work put into it, thus the full price tag.

Both Miitopia and Warioware released at $49.99 last year and Switch Sports is $39.99 this year, so it's not like Nintendo always charges full price.

Separate for sure, but I'm not sure Nintendo would port a remaster of a game, add nothing to it, and charge 60 bucks. I can see them both being $49.99. Skyward Sword HD was a brand new remaster that had significant work put into it, thus the full price tag.

Both Miitopia and Warioware released at $49.99 last year and Switch Sports is $39.99 this year, so it's not like Nintendo always charges full price.

I hear you, but I still expect them to maintain the $60 price for all Zelda titles.

Maybe we’ll see some minor changes from the Wii U release that they can use to justify it. $10 more over a few million copies more than covers the cost to add further features or refinements.

I hear you, but I still expect them to maintain the $60 price for all Zelda titles.

Maybe we’ll see some minor changes from the Wii U release that they can use to justify it. $10 more over a few million copies more than covers the cost to add further features or refinements.
What could Nintendo add? 60FPS probably isn't possible if Windwaker struggled to maintain 30 on Wii U, all the necessary changes are already done, and 4K isn't happening unless Switch Pro comes out later this year. Maybe Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are added? But that's unlikely.

I would be very surprised if Zelda WW HD and TP HD are not bundled and instead selling separate,
I mean we talking about games that were already remastered on Wii U, so now having again port/remaster of same games and selling them at full or almost at full price separate would be too much even for Nintendo.

I would be very surprised if Zelda WW HD and TP HD are not bundled and instead selling separate,
I mean we talking about games that were already remastered on Wii U, so now having again port/remaster of same games and selling them at full or almost at full price separate would be too much even for Nintendo.
I sorta agree with this, but there's no chance they come together. It would make Skyward Sword HD look like a terrible deal. More likely they come separately at $39.99, or maybe $49.99. No chance they're 60.

I sorta agree with this, but there's no chance they come together. It would make Skyward Sword HD look like a terrible deal. More likely they come separately at $39.99, or maybe $49.99. No chance they're 60.

I disagree that there is no chance they come together, its not point point if SS HD is terrible deal but about point that SS HD was getting its 1st remaster (same like WW and TP HD did on Wii U) while now WW/TP HD are getting its second port/remaster in two generations.
Maybe they could sell them at $39 separate, but again selling them separate would mean too much separate Zelda releases on Switch (Zelda BOTW, Zelda ALBW, Zelda SS HD, Zelda BOTW2, Zelda WW HD, Zelda TP HD).

I disagree that there is no chance they come together, its not point point if SS HD is terrible deal but about point that SS HD was getting its 1st remaster (same like WW and TP HD did on Wii U) while now WW/TP HD are getting its second port/remaster in two generations.
Maybe they could sell them at $39 separate, but again selling them separate would mean too much separate Zelda releases on Switch (Zelda BOTW, Zelda ALBW, Zelda SS HD, Zelda BOTW2, Zelda WW HD, Zelda TP HD).
How many Mario and Pokemon games do we have on Switch again? 😉 I'm pretty sure Zelda will be fine. It's a big franchise now.

Skyward sword is quite capable of doing that on its own :p

60FPS probably isn't possible if Windwaker struggled to maintain 30 on Wii U
Depends on the bottleneck. Mario Kart 8 ran at 720p on the Wii U and 1080p on the Switch; a 2.25X increase in pixels. Going from 30fps to 60 would a flat doubling.

IIRC the evidence suggests the Wii U Zelda ports struggled with memory bandwidth. The Switch has exactly twice the bandwidth of the Wii U when docked. Assuming everything else can manage double the frame rate (I imagine they can), it becomes a question of whether Nintendo prefers having a locked 30, or 60 that stutters in the exact same places the prior releases did. And of course, if the answer is 60, whether that's worth the effort to go into the engine and make the required changes.

How many Mario and Pokemon games do we have on Switch again? 😉 I'm pretty sure Zelda will be fine. It's a big franchise now.

We have 3 3D Mario releases: Mario Odyssey, Mario-All Stars and Mario 3D World (so actually you have two Mario releases that have more than one bundled game).
Pokemon is totally different thing, we have even before multiply Pokemon games per year.

I just dont see two separate main 3D Zelda games releases in same year, bundle of WW and TP HD has most sense from multiply reasons.

We have 3 3D Mario releases: Mario Odyssey, Mario-All Stars and Mario 3D World (so actually you have two Mario releases that have more than one bundled game).
Pokemon is totally different thing, we have even before multiply Pokemon games per year.

I just dont see two separate main 3D Zelda games releases in same year, bundle of WW and TP HD has most sense from multiply reasons.
We're not getting both this year, we'd only get one. Probably Windwaker.

A Link Between Worlds is on Switch? I think that was meant to be Link's Awakening.

I don't think there is such a thing as too much Zelda on Switch. Bring everything!

But if they sell WW and TP separately, we're only getting one this year. A bundle, or even a deal paves the way for both. Part of it depends on what is done to the games to enhance them over the WiiU releases.

We're not getting both this year, we'd only get one. Probably Windwaker.

I disagree, I expecting double pack this year.

A Link Between Worlds is on Switch? I think that was meant to be Link's Awakening.

I don't think there is such a thing as too much Zelda on Switch. Bring everything!

But if they sell WW and TP separately, we're only getting one this year. A bundle, or even a deal paves the way for both. Part of it depends on what is done to the games to enhance them over the WiiU releases.

Yeah, A Link's Awakening.

Its not point about too much Zelda games on Switch, but about too much separate releases, and when you have too much releases you need to add some better value to later ports/remasters.
For instance, we currently have 6 3D Mario games but only 3 separate releases.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards a double pack. There's not much logic to keeping one in their back pocket since BOTW2 will likely finally be released in spring next year and there won't be any more gaps to fill in their release schedule. They can just milk that. And releasing them separately around the same time, eh, I figure they'd make more revenue if they're sold together and not competing against each other.

They could do a surprise announcement this spring/summer instead of revealing any BOTW2 info, just like they pulled with SS HD in early 2021. Won't that get everyone excited.

(Also since we're on a Zelda tangent, here's an aside on that: I have no idea what title Nintendo will reveal for the "Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" but they should rename Skyward Sword HD to "Prequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" at the same time.)

Last edited:
If WW and TP are separate $60 releases I'd expect Nintendo to add or change something about them. Maybe a toggle between the original and Wii U art styles for Wind Waker, and bundling Link's Crossbow Training for Twilight Princess. Otherwise I think they'll be $50 each.

But how cool would it be if they each got something like Bowser's Fury? Or the GBA Four Swords game for an in-franchise example.

On topic: I remember a few weeks ago a common strain in the discussion was people explaining that any leaks from GDC would take a few weeks to percolate out onto the internet. Would it be reasonable to assume there's a good chance that's responsible for Nate hearing new information recently?

If the new switch does indeed launch holiday 2022 they may just port WW and TP, add RTX and DLSS and sell us Windwaker UHD during holidays and Twilight Princess UHD the following year.

It's been changed enough to charge full price again at that point.

If the new switch does indeed launch holiday 2022 they may just port WW and TP, add RTX and DLSS and sell us Windwaker UHD during holidays and Twilight Princess UHD the following year.

It's been changed enough to charge full price again at that point.
That sounds more like a remaster than a simple port to me since I imagine adding support for DLSS and RTX is not a trivial process.

Last edited:
That sounds more like a remaster than a simple port to me since I imagine adding support for DLSS and RTX is not a trivial process.

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to undersell the amount of effort required to add in these features. For one the engines for both games would have to be modified to gather the temporal data needed to perform DLSS, plus all of the work required for RTX to work properly with varying surfaces.

I would be very happy with this outcome tbh, there are examples of RTX BOTW on youtube, I imagine a hypothetical windwaker with RTX and DLSS would be stunning.

Excited for Nates podcast, going to watch supermetaldaves take on the nvidia leak shortly to see how detached from reality it is.

Since you all love to talk about Orin so much, did you ever consider getting a kit?

You can get one here:

I think it would be great if most of you participating in this thread registered as NVIDIA developers and start working with actual hardware, even if you don't plan on actually publishing anything. You will have comprehensive exposure to a legitimate development environment and gain useful experience.

Hi gents,
Long time lurking but first time posting. I dont believe this has been discussed before, apologies if it did, but do we have any indication that nvn or nvn2 are exclusive to Nintendo? Is it possible that Nvidia builds these API's for a broader use than just Nintendo games?
Love reading your posts btw, Switch 2/Pro/Advance cant be here soon enough :)

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to undersell the amount of effort required to add in these features. For one the engines for both games would have to be modified to gather the temporal data needed to perform DLSS, plus all of the work required for RTX to work properly with varying surfaces.

I would be very happy with this outcome tbh, there are examples of RTX BOTW on youtube, I imagine a hypothetical windwaker with RTX and DLSS would be stunning.
It seems like ports of GameCube games would be among those that would need DLSS least? Unless they were absolutely slathering it with raytracing stuff to kill performance.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom