• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I think they'll just be "Series S 2023/Series X 2023" or some shit. if they're the same but use less power, there's not much point in putting so much emphasis on them in marketing

Animal crossing, smash bros, Metroid prime 4, Mario kart... Tons of stuff that could release in 2024.
I don't see any chance that the next Animal Crossing comes out in 2024. That's just 4 years after New Horizions. 2026 feels like the earliest we could see the next AC.

I honestly don't know what the future holds for Smash. Sakurai isn't working on it right now, so if you assume a development time of at least 4 years, the earliest we would be looking at the next Smash would be 2026, assuming they started work today. And what that game would even look like after Ultimate, who knows.

Metroid Prime 4 I could definitely see releasing in 2024.

Mario Kart 9 feels like it could be revealed and released at any time. We're way overdue. But I only see it actually releasing once a new system is released.

I feel like this what the fifth time now we read something of this nature about Switch game footage suddenly showing off new hardware.

Also I wouldn’t worry too much about Nintendo’s potential line up going into new hardware at this point since it will mostly be cross gen. And, by the time that’s over it should be ready to move onto developing solely for the Drake.

Last edited:
DF were the ones pushing that MH Rise was running on a Pro machine because the game couldn't look that good on the base Switch. They're great people and probably have an idea of what is Nintendo next hardware, but to keep pushing the same "Game looks too good for base Switch" is kinda annoying. BOTW 2 looks better than BOTW because it's running on a better hardware compared to BOTW which was made for Wii U.

Last edited:

This has got to stop. Nintendo will not show footage from an unannounced console before they announce it, period. They wouldn't even show footage from the Switch before its reveal to help market BotW, the flagship title for the new system they were abandoning ship for from the Wii U. DF are also wrong about some of the technical aspects, like the fact the clouds aren't volumetric. And there's just the inescapable fact that none of this "looks too good to be on Switch" footage... ever actually looks too good to be on Switch. MHR didn't. M+R2 didn't. This doesn't either.

I know BotW is like, five years old at this point, but people have got short memories about how clean the in-engine cutscenes already look on the current Switch.

Not all of the sequel trailer footage has been in-engine cutscenes (fighting the like-like, Link activating the time rewind), but nothing has screamed "too good for Switch". Unless we're also arguing the original BotW is too good for Switch, in which case sure.

Dunban already got his updated graphics. it's Xenoblade X's turn

nah, that wouldn't be in any leak like the Nvidia leak
X with cel shaded characters would be great.
I know BotW is like, five years old at this point, but people have got short memories about how clean the in-engine cutscenes already look on the current Switch.

Not all of the sequel trailer footage has been in-engine cutscenes (fighting the like-like, Link activating the time rewind), but nothing has screamed "too good for Switch". Unless we're also arguing the original BotW is too good for Switch, in which case sure.

The new footage is really high res and clean. Usually when people say they think it’s on new hardware it’s because they underestimate the graphical capabilities of Switch, but there’s no way a regular Switch was outputting that BotW2 footage, it was way too high res and clean. Obviously it doesn’t mean it was Switch 4k, but Nintendo doesn’t really have a habit of releasing trailers at higher resolutions than the actual game. When I first saw the footage the first thing that jumped into my head was that it looked as clean as 4K DLSS.

Three things to note:

• There is room for engine improvement. See here
  • The clouds aren't actually volumetric, see here
  • Some of the trailer footage is likely cut scene stuff
He’s only guessing, just like DF.
nah. just make a real time GI solution and physically based textures and the game will really shine
Nah, the models look weird as hell being rendered in a traditional 3D style, those designs would look much better with cel shading. Real time GI and physically based materials for the environment would be great though.

He’s only guessing, just like DF.

Nah, the models look weird as hell being rendered in a traditional 3D style, those designs would look much better with cel shading. Real time GI and physically based materials for the environment would be great though.
all the models will be redone anyway, so I don't see the worry

Intel also shed some light on an internal test node that they are working on. The mantra from the CEO Pat Gelsinger has been to deliver 5 process node technologies in 4 years, however internally there is another node that's being given equal treatment. Intel has already announced PowerVia, its technology for backside power delivery due to intercept the timeline with Intel 20A along with RibbonFET, but in order to get a handle on the new manufacturing techniques required, Intel has a 'Risk Reduction Test Node' to get to grips with it before mainstream production.

This test node uses the same Intel 4/Intel 3 FinFET designs for its transistors, but separates the power lines and signal layers on to separate sides of the transistor. In Intel 20A, the transistors in the middle of this sandwich will be RibbonFETs, but the test node for PowerVias is needed to make sure that yields can scale. Intel stated that this test node, a sort of 'Intel 3b', will still get the same attention for risk management and yield scaling as any other regular production node. We should state that Intel has mentioned this risk node before, but we were under the impression it was being done on a 14nm or 10nm process which was already high-yielding, rather than the leading edge that still has to reach that level.

Intel was asked if this Intel 3b test node, using FinFET + PowerVia, would ever reach productization – the answer was that although it's getting the same treatment as a production node, there are currently no plans to move it to full production, and there are no customer chips being designed with it. This last element is important, as we know that customers are already working with Intel 3 and Intel 20A product design flows ready for when Intel can make those manufacturing processes available.

X with cel shaded characters would be great.

The new footage is really high res and clean. Usually when people say they think it’s on new hardware it’s because they underestimate the graphical capabilities of Switch, but there’s no way a regular Switch was outputting that BotW2 footage, it was way too high res and clean. Obviously it doesn’t mean it was Switch 4k, but Nintendo doesn’t really have a habit of releasing trailers at higher resolutions than the actual game. When I first saw the footage the first thing that jumped into my head was that it looked as clean as 4K DLSS.
Ehh?

DF themselves confirmed the trailer is showing 1080 and 720 resolutions, by having someone count the pixels.

BOTW2 may well be a Switch 2 feature title, but the trailer is running the Switch build.

Ehh?

DF themselves confirmed the trailer is showing 1080 and 720 resolutions, by having someone count the pixels.

BOTW2 may well be a Switch 2 feature title, but the trailer is running the Switch build.
They said some scenes were 720p and also said the image quality for most of it is way higher than you’d expect for Switch, I don’t remember them saying 1080p at all. The scenes that weren’t from the E3 trailer in particular are ridiculously clean.

Last edited:
They said some scenes were 720p and also said the image quality for most of it is way higher than you’d expect for Switch, I don’t remember them saying 1080p at all. The scenes that weren’t from the E3 trailer in particular are ridiculously clean.
Are we sure? I had a listen this morning just to catch up on things and I could have sworn they mentioned 1080p with some 720p

Are we sure? I had a listen this morning just to catch up on things and I could have sworn they mentioned 1080p with some 720p
They do state 1080p. More specifically, they say a lot of it is at 1080p, while only 1 spot they looked at was at 720p

I missed that part, my bad, but anyways they say a lot is 1080p, but that doesn’t say much when almost all of the footage is old. Either way they say the image quality is pristine, I think everyone knows at this point that 1080p with incredible AA for a game like this is not possible on Switch. They don’t mention it in the video because I don’t think they realize most of the footage is old, but the new clip in particular is ridiculously clean.
I would expect 60 FPS from a build running on the newer hardware.
That footage during the trailer was not captured on a Pro.
I wouldn’t expect that at all since it’s an open world game and they’ll probably want to push image quality. Maybe they’ll provide a 60fps mode.

Last edited:
I would expect 60 FPS from a build running on the newer hardware.
That footage during the trailer was not captured on a Pro.

When comes to 3D Zelda games, 60 FPS is not priority for Nintendo, especially when we talking about new Zelda games (not about remasters),
so even with "Drake" Switch hardware, its far from sure that Zelda BotW 2 would run at 60 FPS.

When comes to 3D Zelda games, 60 FPS is not priority for Nintendo, especially when we talking about new Zelda games (not about remasters),
so even with "Drake" Switch hardware, its far from sure that Zelda BotW 2 would run at 60 FPS.
Could go either way really.

I missed that part, my bad, but anyways they say a lot is 1080p, but that doesn’t say much when almost all of the footage is old. Either way they say the image quality is pristine, I think everyone knows at this point that 1080p with incredible AA for a game like this is not possible on Switch. They don’t mention it in the video because I don’t think they realize most of the footage is old, but the new clip in particular is ridiculously clean.

I wouldn’t expect that at all since it’s an open world game and they’ll probably want to push image quality. Maybe they’ll provide a 60fps mode.
You are both right. Not even Wind Waker HD was 60 FPS on the WiiU. Worse than that, Skyrim is 30 FPS on PS4 and PS5.
So indeed, the hope is slim. Bummer.

You are both right. Not even Wind Waker HD was 60 FPS on the WiiU. Worse than that, Skyrim is 30 FPS on PS4 and PS5.
The Wii U didn’t have an awesome cpu, neither did the ps4. Ps5 does though.

I wouldn’t completely discount a 60fps mode for Zelda, since Drake is a good upgrade across the board (cpu/gpu/ presumably memory) so it should be easy enough to add it I’d they want to.

BOTW 1/2 should have no issues running at 60 FPS on the next hardware, even if it's only 4 A78 CPU cores. The A78 are that big of a jump compared to A57 on current Switch. If the Zelda game made exclusively for Drake hardware will be 60 or 30, then that's a development team decision. Even if there's horsepower available to spare for 60 FPS, lot of developers will want that 4x boost in available resources that is 30 FPS compared to 60.

Actually Skyrim got patched so it’s mostly 60fps now. Xbox got the same patch, but the FPS was already mostly 60fps on both X and S cause of their backwards compatible fps boost tech.

There's a decent chance that wii u and tp hd on switch could be possible on 60fps though. Not saying to get your hopes up... But the games are already 1080p on the wii u ports.

There's a decent chance that wii u and tp hd on switch could be possible on 60fps though. Not saying to get your hopes up... But the games are already 1080p on the wii u ports.
Can't wait for those trailers to drop

...and for someone to claim that they're on Switch 2

I wonder if the work done on the Skyward Sword is easily portable enough for WW and TP.

I also naively hope for a less than $60 price. . . He says before buying WW for a third time.

Did Nate update his release plans for the next episode?

@NateDrake Any info Nate, when we can expect your episode? Thanks!
Not at this time.

Something has come up concerning the subject matter & I want to investigate it further before addressing the topic. Releasing an episode & not investigating this particular bit of information would be ill-advised.

Not at this time.

Something has come up concerning the subject matter & I want to investigate it further before addressing the topic. Releasing an episode & not investigating this particular bit of information would be ill-advised.
That's okay, we'll happily settle for an ASMR video with your smooth and silky voice in the meantime. 😎

"The N64 is better than the GameCube," Nate says as he scratches the mic for some reason.

"Super Mario Sunshine is bad," Nate whispers in alternating left and right channels.

"Stop asking me about Fire Emblem, it's still coming," Nate says with a voice that sets our brains ablaze.

Random noises of Manscaped products in the background.

Not at this time.

Any hint about what came up that delayed the podcast?

Not at this time.

200w.gif

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom