• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I reallyreally want FF7 for switch2. Not intrested buying another console. But would like to try and see how good the new FF7 is, or if the new battle system is abhorent and too much!

I don't think this is true
There was a whole thing about it when Sony did the port for USFIV PS4. Not even Xbox One got USFIV itself when the PS4 did, nor was it ever ported to Switch.

That's up to Capcom. One would think they would (and sell it for $70), but they could sell it separately too to make even more money.
If anything, that strengthens the argument to include the Year 1 characters.

SFVI for Launch Window feels like a good play to make. Hell you could bundle it as a special package that gets people on equal grounds with PS5, X-Series, and PC. Though that is not the third party game that I am genuinely thinking of.
Like what, Luke & Kimberly Amiibos to correspond with the Collector’s Edition of the other versions?

Switch 2 is the least stupid name that won't ensure a marketing disaster.
The fact that Nintendo made a console named "Switch Lite" tells me they won't go with weird (fun) names like Super Nintendo Switch. I'm on the Switch 2 camp. And the logo will be a left joycon (maybe with another shape) and a "2" besides it.

The fact that Nintendo made a console named "Switch Lite" tells me they won't go with weird (fun) names like Super Nintendo Switch. I'm on the Switch 2 camp. And the logo will be a left joycon (maybe with another shape) and a "2" besides it.
Switch Lite is within expectations given the Lite systems in the past already

How about we create a "Next-gen Name & Timing & Software Speculation & Discussing | ST |" mega thread?

Everyone have their opinion about several aspects of NG and at times want to share them and hear other, I'm no different. But all of this is 90% of the time off-topic here. And its burying all of the actual "Hardware and Technology" discussion.

It's getting harder and harder to keep up and the people actually discussing hardware will either miss many of the posts which spark new and relevant discussions or abandon the thread completely.

Getting back to hardware, I know it's very early days and the Switch 2 isn't out yet, but what do you think would be Nintendo's possible margins for technological progress?

The Switch's lifespan is no different from that of the PS4 or Xbox One, and yet we've been hearing everyone hollering and hollering about technical improvements for years now. It's all the more puzzling when you consider that, on its release, the Switch was seen as modern and not at all dated.

There's a lot of talk about the end of traditional game consoles in the more or less long term, whether from Microsoft or Sony. There's a lot of talk about cloud gaming. I don't think the next Switch will be Nintendo's last physical console, but I note that Furukawa himself has said he's keeping a close eye on cloud gaming.

Getting back to hardware, I know it's very early days and the Switch 2 isn't out yet, but what do you think would be Nintendo's possible margins for technological progress?

The Switch's lifespan is no different from that of the PS4 or Xbox One, and yet we've been hearing everyone hollering and hollering about technical improvements for years now. It's all the more puzzling when you consider that, on its release, the Switch was seen as modern and not at all dated.

There's a lot of talk about the end of traditional game consoles in the more or less long term, whether from Microsoft or Sony. There's a lot of talk about cloud gaming. I don't think the next Switch will be Nintendo's last physical console, but I note that Furukawa himself has said he's keeping a close eye on cloud gaming.
the next console of Nintendo could be the last generation they use physical media, sadly all companies are going for a all digital future, Xbox is fully embracing this future, Playstation/Nintendo is slowing transictioning in this future

Like what, Luke & Kimberly Amiibos to correspond with the Collector’s Edition of the other versions?
Capcom when they make Chun-Li, Cammy, Juri, and Poison amiibos
mr-mc-mahon-ggez-moneh-mrmcmahon.gif

I don't understand it either, and this isn't the only place where pessimism seems to linger from time to time. Luckily it's an ebb and flow thing, haha. Third-party support for this machine is gonna be leagues above what we got with the Switch. Not saying it was bad for Switch by any means, but there's gonna be so many more games that'll make it to the new hardware, it's gonna be like a night 'n day difference, thanks to the closer parity between all systems.

The Switch NG is gonna be a game-changer, I can feel it.
is not pessimism, is realism, we been realistic, we know for severals reasons, third parties refuse to release it games on Nintendo consoles(someone paying to not bring the game, Nintendo consoles been underpowered compared to it competitors, concept/gimmicks for it consoles, that disgust third parties)

As someone who is actively rooting for the death of the traditional console, even I have to admit that rumours of their upcoming demise do not hold up. Especially with Stadia shuttering and xCloud being put on life support. This is a very conservative industry that is resistant, or even hostile, to change. And that's before you consider the inherent drawbacks of cloud gaming, some of which are insurmountable (latency).

On top of that, you have to factor that Nintendo are operating in the mobile space. So, even less able to leverage cloud. Also they have a lot more runway ahead of them in terms of tech progress. They will not have caught up with current gen with Switch 2.

Nintendo are also more likely to build around input innovation, which requires dedicated hardware and software to match.

On a broader level, there are gains to be had with traditional hardware. I do think it's true that geometry is probably more limited by manpower then anything else (maybe AI can change that?), but for example, ray tracing and physics simulation are things that we're not able to realise to their full extent yet with current hardware.
I think a lot of tech in the future will be about making it easier to produce incredible experiences (via ray tracing, and engines that utilise the hardware to stimulate all kinds of things, ai for aspects of animation and character interaction), rather than obvious visual gains for the end user. But we need better hardware to do it.

I love Arlo's reaction content but spending so much time in this thread makes almost any YouTube video speculating on NG Switch painful to watch. Sort of like they say follow a wiki tutorial and not a video tutorial, because a video tutorial is always out of date. It never has the full picture in the way this thread has.

With that all said- I'm going to drop a like on this video but not watch it, but would appreciate if someone could summarise his thoughts for me.
he believe Nintendo is showing hint the Switch sucessor launch is imminent, he use the june/septembre Direct to exemplify with all this remakes/remasters been anounced, and Princess Peach Showtime been the only original game anounced, is a hint Nintendo is preparing for the launch of it next hardware, he call this remake/remasters part of a transitional period for Nintendo, stating most of Nintendo Inter team/subsidiaries are already working on the next hardware

Cartridges are smaller than discs and, well…way cooler. I can’t see it going away. Xbox and Sony simply didn’t have the foresight and rely on outdated physical media solution. No one uses CDs anymore. Not to watch movies, not music, and now not gaming.

Cartridge is none of that. Nintendo did a lot of things right. Sticking with ARM, usb-c, and cartridges. They saw the future. They changed their entire company’s hardware and software pipeline to support ARM. That’s forsight.

Last edited:
Cartridges are smaller than discs and, well…way cooler. I can’t see it going away. Xbox and Sony simply didn’t have the foresight and rely on outdated physical media solution. No one uses CDs anymore. Not to watch movies, not music, and now not gaming.

Cartridge is none of that. Nintendo did a lot of things right. Sticking with arm, usb-c, and cartridges. They saw the future.
looks at extensive vinyl and Blu-ray collection

Cartridge is none of that. Nintendo did a lot of things right. Sticking with ARM, usb-c, and cartridges. They saw the future. They changed their entire company hardware and software pipeline to support ARM. That’s forsight.
Cartridges are notoriously more expensive and difficult to make

looks at extensive vinyl and Blu-ray collection
Vinyls are way cooler than CDs. Some albums sound better on Vinyl. Vinyl itself just looks better than CDs.
Cartridges are notoriously more expensive and difficult to make
Vinyl teas.
That’s the only downside or upside? People will still buy them despite being 4x the price of a disc. They are inherently more valuable. Sound familiar?

People will buy Nintendo catridges. Not Xbox and Sony CDs.

Last edited:

Cartridge is none of that. Nintendo did a lot of things right. Sticking with ARM, usb-c, and cartridges. They saw the future. They changed their entire company hardware and software pipeline to support ARM. That’s forsight.
Nintendo makes more money on digital sales. They want to go all digital. The Switch 2 will still have cartridges of course, but for the switch 3? I wouldn't be so sure.

is not pessimism, is realism, we been realistic, we know for severals reasons, third parties refuse to release it games on Nintendo consoles(someone paying to not bring the game, Nintendo consoles been underpowered compared to it competitors, concept/gimmicks for it consoles, that disgust third parties)

Realistic is knowing what the hardware is capable of, and having heard nothing but positive reports about the hardware itself, and its third-party support.

Pessimism stems either from not understanding the revolution this hardware is gonna be, or from clinging desperately to a playbook that in reality never existed.

Nintendo makes more money on digital sales. They want to go all digital. The Switch 2 will still have cartridges of course, but for the switch 3? I wouldn't be so sure.
One of Nintendo biggest strength is retail, 70% of 100 is more than 100% of 50. Making only all-digital consoles only makes sense if most physical sales would translate to digital ones, which isnt the case for Nintendo (neither Sony) it kinda makes sense for Xbox due to their 90% digital ratio (and even lack of retail presence in some countries)

If nintendo goes all digital I will probably be done with them, with digital you don't actually own your games you only own a license for it, nintendo or any other compony could remove it from their storefront or revoke your license at any any time. Also if you lose your switch or your switch brakes you could lose all your digital games. But physical is with you at all times.

Those already exist
There is a general discussion thread and individual threads with specific topics are created once in a while. But if these leave the first page or people want to check NG Switch discussion in general or if what they want to say doesnt fit the existing threads scope, they will come here.

This thread is also pinned, so everyone browsing will see it, but won't necessarily know the other threads even exist.

Which is why I think a mega thread makes more sense. A place to replace this thread as the default. Come here to get informed about or discuss hardware and technology, go there for everything else.

It's pessimism. We don't know the final hardware so it's pessimism. Also "disgusts third parties"???? What are we even talking about anymore.

Last edited:
Realistic is knowing what the hardware is capable of, and having heard nothing but positive reports about the hardware itself, and its third-party support.

Pessimism stems either from not understanding the revolution this hardware is gonna be, or from clinging desperately to a playbook that in reality never existed.
have you all not learned for past consoles? everytime a new console is imminent, theres such claims said console is gonna be powerful, said console launch and is not even the slightly of what was reported, i know this song and dance since 2006 when Wii was launched, is always the sames claims, i higly suspecious of everything was claimed in this reports

have you all not learned for past consoles? everytime a new console is imminent, theres such claims said console is gonna be powerful, said console launch and is not even the slightly of what was reported, i know this song and dance since 2006 when Wii was launched, is always the sames claims, i higly suspecious of everything was claimed in this reports

We didn't have a detailed SoC leak similar to our current situation in the past. So no, this doesn't apply in this case, this is not speculation anymore

…and this is exactly what I meant by clinging to the same old playbook. I recommend leaving it at the door.

Poison isn’t in SF6 yet. And to be frank, she’s gonna need a new English voice actress if she does. But Capcom did replace Reuben as Ken, so there’s some hope.
First thought is Kayleigh McKee. She's done plenty of VA work in anime and games, has huge range, and like Poison is also a trans woman.

One of Nintendo biggest strength is retail, 70% of 100 is more than 100% of 50. Making only all-digital consoles only makes sense if most physical sales would translate to digital ones, which isnt the case for Nintendo (neither Sony) it kinda makes sense for Xbox due to their 90% digital ratio (and even lack of retail presence in some countries)
Digital market share continues to increase per generation. By Switch 4, they could do an all digital console easily. It would be the standard.

First thought is Kayleigh McKee. She's done plenty of VA work in anime and games, has huge range, and like Poison is also a trans woman.
Great minds think alike, I see. Kayleigh’s a vocal chameleon & she’s been my dream pick for Poison for years.

I should also add that Capcom seemingly axed Reuben as Dante for the Netflix animated series, but the jury’s out on if that’ll carry over to the games.

Last edited:
Both Sony and Microsoft are willing to pay millions to get third party exclusives on their platforms, as long as Nintendo won't pay up to get third party games they will always get fewer of those releases.

Both Sony and Microsoft are willing to pay millions to get third party exclusives on their platforms, as long as Nintendo won't pay up to get third party games they will always get fewer of those releases.
when was the last time nintendo moneyhatted a third party game? the last one I know is smtv

If nintendo goes all digital I will probably be done with them, with digital you don't actually own your games you only own a license for it, nintendo or any other compony could remove it from their storefront or revoke your license at any any time. Also if you lose your switch or your switch brakes you could lose all your digital games. But physical is with you at all times.
True, but the reason Digital is gaining so much traction is that the disadvantages of not "owning" games are mostly hypothetical scenarios "If the store shuts down" or "If the license gets revoked."

Whereas with physical games, stuff like storage space or convinience are things you have to sacrifice right now. Like yeah, there are freak instances where people have lost their digital libraries...but those just that, freak instances, and not the experience the majority of people have. I can still redownload my games from my launch day 3DS after its store shut down. And I'd wager the amount of people who lost their digital libraries is much smaller than people who have lost their physical libraries (Theft, fire, selling them off, losing indivigial cartidges, disc rot, etc)

Digital purchases have been around long enough for the market to gauge the pro's and con's and like with PC games, movies, and music, for better or worse, the market has been heavily shifiting towards All Digital ecosystems. Nintendo will still hold outfor physical longer than the others, but eventually even they'll go where the market goes.

Unfortunatly, just saying we "own" our games isnt going to convince anyone why they should keep physical games and sacrifice all the advantages of digital, because it has yet to actually mean anything

Let's say you go on a trip taking Switch with all your physical games.

Switch and all physical games gets stolen? You're SOL.

However, if you took Switch with 100+ digital games and Switch got stolen?

You can buy another Switch, and then redownload all your games from eShop. You can even download your save files (for most games) if you have NSO subscription and had save file backup to cloud enabled.

TLDR; You lose all digital games only if you lose your Switch and have to redownload on new Switch, but you either lost your login or eShop has shut down.

Last edited:
when was the last time nintendo moneyhatted a third party game? the last one I know is smtv
They have deals with indies often. When the announcer in a Direct says "releasing first on Nintendo Switch" I assume there's a deal there.

They sponsored a League of Legends presentation and since then all those games came to Switch, so I think that's another one.

Cartridge is none of that. Nintendo did a lot of things right. Sticking with ARM, usb-c, and cartridges. They saw the future. They changed their entire company’s hardware and software pipeline to support ARM. That’s forsight.
For what it’s worth, Nintendo has been using cartridges for portable hardware since the original Gameboy and has been using ARM on their portable devices since GBA. And most portable battery efficiency focused devices have used ARM.

I think if the Switch had been exclusively a home console they would have used disc too.

I love Nintendo but I don’t think they deserve particular praise for these hardware choices. I think it’s what most hardware developers would do. PSVita even used ARM and cartridges.

We didn't have a detailed SoC leak similar to our current situation in the past. So no, this doesn't apply in this case, this is not speculation anymore
Sure, we know a lot more reliable info than past consoles; but we don’t know for sure clock speeds, node size, I/O speeds and storage type, how much RAM, cooling system, storage space, or any additional input or output gimmicks.

There’s still a lot that could impact the final power and experience of this thing.

Thankfully between Nvidia’s involvement, 4K 60fps Zelda demo, and even the Unreal/Matrix demo… we know this thing has got some serious power even if it’s not as pretty, smooth, or high IQ as PS5/XBSX.

I just think there’s still a lot out there that matters and we don’t know yet and can only speculate.

edit: my apologies for the double post

True, but the reason Digital is gaining so much traction is that the disadvantages of not "owning" games are mostly hypothetical scenarios "If the store shuts down" or "If the license gets revoked."

Whereas with physical games, stuff like storage space or convinience are things you have to sacrifice right now. Like yeah, there are freak instances where people have lost their digital libraries...but those just that, freak instances, and not the experience the majority of people have. I can still redownload my games from my launch day 3DS after its store shut down. And I'd wager the amount of people who lost their digital libraries is much smaller than people who have lost their physical libraries (Theft, fire, selling them off, losing indivigial cartidges, disc rot, etc)

Digital purchases have been around long enough for the market to gauge the pro's and con's and like with PC games, movies, and music, for better or worse, the market has been heavily shifiting towards All Digital ecosystems. Nintendo will still hold outfor physical longer than the others, but eventually even they'll go where the market goes.

Unfortunatly, just saying we "own" our games isnt going to convince anyone why they should keep physical games and sacrifice all the advantages of digital, because it has yet to actually mean anything
Yeah to see physical games trajectory look to PC, there is a reason why physical game releases on PC lost totally to Steam to the point of dying out completely. For most gamers the easier and most comfortable option will eventually win the competition. And having a digital library is the easier option for most consumers. I still have my old KOTOR PC physical games collecting dusk on my shelf with no current way to play them due to not having a disc drive anymore, while people can still play all the games they bought 20 years ago on Steam.

You can buy another Switch, and then redownload all your games from eShop. You can even download your save files (for most games) if you have NSO subscription and had save file backup to cloud enabled.

TLDR; You lose all digital games only if you lose your Switch and have to redownload on new Switch, but you either lost your login or eShop has shut down.

Never have lost a single physical game, and believe me I have had a LOT of games over the decades. Not being careful and risking things is ultimately a choice. Digital is a risk as well. Even more so with the knowledge that companies cannot be fully trusted in making games available for indefinite periods of time. I don’t want to be at the mercy of ‘em. Digital has its place and use, but let’s not forget about things long-term. There are already plenty of games that are lost in time due to the closing down of services and delistings.

I still think about that scribblenauts cartridge I left at a distant cousins house. Thank God for R4's

This is a sound argument, but the real issue lies in the long term. What happens when a system's respective storefront shuts down permanently? We've already seen examples with the Wii Shop, PSN, and the upcoming 360 store. We have no guarantee that these current storefronts will stick around for years to come. Perhaps this all-digital future will ensure that they don't shutdown after a decade and they stick around and form an ecosystem that transcends console generations. Until that becomes a guaranteed reality, I wouldn't put too stick to digital only, regardless of how enticing it may be.

At least there's still a market for physical and I don't see that going away anytime soon.

I've been all digital for years, but the real disadvantage for the consumer imo is pricing. Both in terms of the lack of retailers discounting games, and the lack of a second-hand ecosystem. I already feel like I pay a premium for the digital convenience, and that's WHILE digital stores know they're competing against traditional retailers who are more motivated to keep their inventory moving (or to attract customers through aggressive pricing). I fear the day that they have full pricing control.

This is a sound argument, but the real issue lies in the long term. What happens when a system's respective storefront shuts down permanently? We've already seen examples with the Wii Shop, PSN, and the upcoming 360 store. We have no guarantee that these current storefronts will stick around for years to come. Perhaps this all-digital future will ensure that they don't shutdown after a decade and they stick around and form an ecosystem that transcends console generations. Until that becomes a guaranteed reality, I wouldn't put too stick to digital only, regardless of how enticing it may be.

At least there's still a market for physical and I don't see that going away anytime soon.
The most important thing is that the games you have bought follows through BC to the new console, like Playstation and Microsoft are already doing. Nintendo needs to take that step as well. Then you have that Steam experience where your library can continue to expand and grow no matter what the current platform you are using is.

I've been all digital for years, but the real disadvantage for the consumer imo is pricing. Both in terms of the lack of retailers discounting games, and the lack of a second-hand ecosystem. I already feel like I pay a premium for the digital convenience, and that's WHILE digital stores know they're competing against traditional retailers who are more motivated to keep their inventory moving. I fear the day that they have full pricing control.
But even with digital games discounts starts happening when the sales of the different games starts to plummet. Only Nintendo seems reluctant to have more regular price cuts on their digital storefronts.

The most important thing is that the games you have bought follows through BC to the new console, like Playstation and Microsoft are already doing. Nintendo needs to take that step as well. Then you have that Steam experience where your library can continue to expand and grow no matter what the current platform you are using is.
Yeah, so long as the stores don't go away, things should be fine. But there's no guarantee of that, at the moment.

Storefront shutting down was one of the scenarios I did mention. Yes, that's a risk.

If past is of indication, we will get plenty of advance heads up time that the eShop will be shutting down. At that point we can redownload the games before eShop shuts down for real.

I find it highly convenient to own digital copies instead, not having to find or switch cartridges (I have 110+ games). I also share most of the library on the 2nd Switch in our household with relative. We can for example play against each other in Splatoon 3, on a single digital copy.

I understand that I might (and probably will) eventually lose access to those games due to the sands of time, but that's not for years from now more likely.

I reallyreally want FF7 for switch2. Not intrested buying another console. But would like to try and see how good the new FF7 is, or if the new battle system is abhorent and too much!
Same situation. I won't buy a PS5 and I won't redo the PC from scratch.
If what Nate says about the FFVII remake is recent, maybe Square-Enix is waiting to finish the trilogy (if it will be a trilogy). I hope that in that case they will use more cartridges or make a pack, because otherwise I don't know how much space they will take up.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom