• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Steam Deck is super janky compared to Switch and the battery life isn’t anywhere near as good.
Well it's more powerful than the Switch so yeah I expect the battery to run out faster if the switch was pushing out the sane graphics I'm sure the batter life would be lower. But if you want those 3rd party games and better running portably it's pretty much the only option you got.

Attention fellow speculators!!!
With the help of @Meelow, I have made an avatar bet thread regarding the reveal and release of the Switch successor. If you wish to participate, just click the link below, so you can view the rules. Any inquiries and feedback should be shared in the thread on question.

Yess.

Well it's more powerful than the Switch so yeah I expect the battery to run out faster if the switch was pushing out the sane graphics I'm sure the batter life would be lower. But if you want those 3rd party games and better running portably it's pretty much the only option you got.
Ok, but assuming the next system is more powerful than the current one, it would still be great to get new ports of 3rd party games that haven’t made it to Nintendo yet. Regardless of the existence of the Steam Deck.

Perfect! I'm betting for H2 anyway.

So, here are the terms:

If the next Nintendo console (the followup to the Nintendo Switch, the console we're referring to in this thread as the "Switch 2") does not release in H1, which ends June 30th, 2024, then Team H1 loses the bet.

If said console does not release in H2, which starts July 1, 2024, then Team H2 loses the bet.

Loser has to take this avatar....... for half a year.

Team H1 2024
@D36
@ziggyrivers
@Mobius
@lattjeful
@catonkatonk
@P4bl0
@DDark
@L_esson
@LinkURL
@Koren Lesthe
@PokéPersona
@lexony
@BDGAME
@Esticamelapixa
@Yavga

Team H2 2024
@bellydrum
@yohoopzcrazy
@TomNookYankees
@Stephen
@Mbolibombo

Edit: updated the wording of the terms and conditions to account for a certain edge case.

Changes are in green.
Everyone who voted here, the bet has moved to a new thread.

Not to spam, I just forgot about the previous bet, with bellydrum permabanned and all.

Jim Ryan after seeing the Switch 2 in TGS and told it's coming March '24.

im-out-hands-up.gif
Maybe this is also a possibility that make Jim Ryan retired. He surprised on how advanced a Switch 2 are. It's jaw dropping

It’s a good possibility they have, but I don’t really see why that should preclude them from wanting to see Switch 2 releases of games they want to play.

I didn’t feel like engaging at the time, but there’s plenty of reasons to want a Switch 2 to have great support and to not care about owning a SteamDeck. They really aren’t the same offering. Deck isn’t really a hybrid in the same way, and I don’t expect the TV experience to hold a candle to what Switch 2 will probably offer.

Frankly I’m more interested in seeing how the Windows Handheld space evolves, since I have an Xbox and GamePass.

Everyone who voted here, the bet has moved to a new thread.

Not to spam, I just forgot about the previous bet, with bellydrum permabanned and all.
Why was he banned? I don’t see it

Oh hell naw, you guys didn't make yet another avatar bet while i was in my well earned work day's end and sleep?

Fami, you have a avatar gambling problem, and i think we need an intervention.

I think i said it before, you need get into voice acting. Or at least voicing over ads.

Not only I expect GTA6 to be on the successor, I expect EVERYTHING Take Two has in dev right now to be on Switch.

And they have a LOT:
  • New Bioshock game by Cloud Chamber
  • Secret new game by 2K Silicon Valley
  • New Mafia game by Hangar 13 (older Mafia games should get ported to Switch by Turn Me Up)
  • Civilization VII by Firaxis
  • The other sports game by the devs of PGA 2K.

And on top of that, 2024 should be full of 2K/Rockstar late ports to base Switch. Mafia trilogy and GTA4 sound perfect.

I still think GTA 6 will be a question of ReDraketed's storage being big enough for GTA Online.

Sure, they will make loads of riches from GTA 6 sales, but i think everyone knows that GTA Online is the biggest money maker for Rockstar, so that will be an important question they want to be answered.

Could a ray-tracing update for the Zelda games happen on Switch 2? What implementation would work for games like that? RTGI? RT Overdrive?????

I'm curious about RT in a game with that art style cause it feels like only photorealistic games get RT for now.

So to atone for all my adblocking I became a Digital Foundry Patron. It's not cheap, but they've got quite a bit of bonus content on there!

The Patron exclusive video exploring what an underclocked RTX2050 can do using Death Stranding is super insightful. Won't spoil too much here, though I can recommend it to everyone in this thread. DLSS has quite the computational cost - even when the internal resolution stays the same, just changing the DLSS output resolution makes an enormous impact on framerate. The difference between 720p native - which runs really well - to 1080p DLSS all the way up to Ultra Performance 4K is enormous.

What I came away with most of all is that Switch 2 probably gives developers lots of options and variables to tweak for their ports/projects, while Switch 1 projects often felt like squeezing at the cost of everything.

I still think GTA 6 will be a question of ReDraketed's storage being big enough for GTA Online.

Sure, they will make loads of riches from GTA 6 sales, but i think everyone knows that GTA Online is the biggest money maker for Rockstar, so that will be an important question they want to be answered.
Size remains as a problem for many of the current gen games, not just GTA6. That's the part I'm curious if Nintendo find a solution to. Ports still need to go through some optimization phase but how much they can compress and how DLSS could help this, I'm not sure.

Size remains as a problem for many of the current gen games, not just GTA6. That's the part I'm curious if Nintendo find a solution to. Ports still need to go through some optimization phase but how much they can compress and how DLSS could help this, I'm not sure.
DLSS won't help with that at all. It just upscales the output, not the textures

This is exactly what makes the whole EPD 9 situation confusing. I'm pretty sure they weren't doing that "all this time" either.
It's important to remember how EPD works in these discussions. The groups are actually a handful of people who pull devs from a pool. So it's not like they had many folks idle. The MK leads (the core EPD9) were most likely planning MK10 while they were planning and working on Tour and BCP

Could a ray-tracing update for the Zelda games happen on Switch 2? What implementation would work for games like that? RTGI? RT Overdrive?????

I'm curious about RT in a game with that art style cause it feels like only photorealistic games get RT for now.
They could. There's already a GI system in the game that can be adapted to ray tracing. RT shadows and ambient occlusion would be a be an upgrade over the effects in the game already.

For TotK, it'll be the art style you see, but better realize because you don't have shit effects thanks to the Switch limitations

Only solution Nintendo can (and likely will) offer is a solid compression/decompression within the developer tools and to make storage and reading from carts / storage expansion faster. The latter should be taken care of simply by a way stronger CPU compared to what Switch got at it's time.

Size will still be an issue. We gotta hope Nintendo can get at least 64gb carts down in price.

But third party devs will have to do some work too, as they're the ones who will have to actually use the tools they're being offered.

Re: GTA 6

I need more than the VRAM usage of a development build 2 years prior to release to know anything about the resolution of a console version. There may be more information that would let us glean the technical requirements of the game in the leak, but I'm not going to read a 60 page document to find it. I do know that the arguments presented here don't make any technical sense.

Economically, Take-Two's financials say they expect - expect - the biggest video game release in history. Rockstar needs to not only sell to a decent chunk of the console market, they have to capture a decent chunk of the PC market as well - a market where the most popular card is 4GB. They need COD money, and you don't make COD money without COD's specs. Even in 2023, Modern Warfare 3 is targeting last gen consoles.

A "doesn't come to Series S" or "I didn't actually say that, I meant the res would be worse than 20 year old YouTube videos" won't deliver what they're claiming they'll make. Which isn't to say they can't blow it, but they've called their shot.
Rockstar never released PC Port day one with consoles, is always year later, the only difference was MP3 but it was linear game

Only solution Nintendo can (and likely will) offer is a solid compression/decompression within the developer tools and to make storage and reading from carts / storage expansion faster. The latter should be taken care of simply by a way stronger CPU compared to what Switch got at it's time.

Size will still be an issue. We gotta hope Nintendo can get at least 64gb carts down in price.

But third party devs will have to do some work too, as they're the ones who will have to actually use the tools they're being offered.
I expect 32GB Game Cards will be the norm for NG Switch.

Btw VI will be for sure on Series S, idk why people even argue about that lol, it will be for sure worse visually than PS5,PS5 Pro,Xbox Series X version but I think still will be very impressive what Series S can do, also Series S and Series X have same CPU

I hope MP4 won’t be open world. Open world is completely antithetical to the series’ design and gameplay philosophy.

For clarification, because I’ve seen it a few times over the last few pages here, bellydrum did not get permabanned. He got a temporary ban and the duration was still being evaluated by site moderation when he himself requested that his account be permanently closed.

Speaking of compression, I wonder if, now that all systems have dedicated decompression, will we see higher compression ratios since decompression is sped up and more bespoke
Do we have information on how compression works on PS5? Is it a prescribed method that precludes the use of other compression formats?
I imagine the hardware is optimised for a specific set of algorithms, no?

what

Do you have a source for this

? Batman Arkham City is a sequel to a game obviously influenced a ton from Metroid Prime? Arkham Asylum is a Metroidvania that expanded on the scan visor to create detective vision.

The platforming focus of Doom Eternal also really reminded of Metroid Prime as there's few (if any?) notable other FPSs with a platforming focus that feel like a traditional platformer.

I hope MP4 won’t be open world. Open world is completely antithetical to the series’ design and gameplay philosophy.

For clarification, because I’ve seen it a few times over the last few pages here, bellydrum did not get permabanned. He got a temporary ban and the duration was still being evaluated by site moderation when he himself requested that his account be permanently closed.
What happened bellydrum?

Just for complete clarification, since the phrase 'temporary ban' implies otherwise, when mods are still working out a duration, that duration can end up being permanent. I'm not saying that is or isn't what would've happened; as a dev, I don't have an inside window on any individual ban decision, including this one. As a staff member, I just don't want people getting a false impression of the moderation process.

So are we expecting the Switch NG to be revealed at the investors meeting in November or before it?
Nah, I’d say long after it if we’re talking a substantial announcement like the Switch 1’s October 2016 reveal. This holiday is very clearly all about the Switch 1 & Mario Wonder, especially with it being the former’s last holiday season as the primary Nintendo system. We’ll likely get a reveal early next year, probably next March if what Nate heard about a nebulous March 2024 time of importance for the Switch 2 is any indication.

With that said, I could see Nintendo telling investors at the November meeting their intentions to release new hardware sometime in the second half of next year. It’ll be enough to hold enthusiasts like us over until March or so, but it’ll be such a generic announcement that it won’t deter Switch 1 holiday sales too much.

Last edited:
Just for complete clarification, since the phrase 'temporary ban' implies otherwise, when mods are still working out a duration, that duration can end up being permanent. I'm not saying that is or isn't what would've happened; as a dev, I don't have an inside window on any individual ban decision, including this one. As a staff member, I just don't want people getting a false impression of the moderation process.

Yes, sorry, I should’ve worded my message better. I meant that the duration was still temporary when the closure request came, since a length decision hadn’t been made, not necessarily that it couldn’t have ended up differently.

I’d also like to note that I left administration a few months ago and am not privy to the discussions behind this instance, just aware of how the process works behind the proverbial scenes.

What happened bellydrum?

I don’t want to derail the thread with this, just wanted to put in a short correction. It’s a long story but you can see how the situation played out in the moderation feedback thread on the R&D board.

Last edited:
Sakurai actually does flip-flop between doing so. But EPD 9 does see Tour as mainline.
this is purely speculation and completely impractical to say. tour was not designed as a regular mario kart experience like the others were, to the point nintendo literally can't name the next game mario kart 10 without raising confusion
edit: in case it's not obvious the point is that internally speaking tour may have been the ninth mario kart game like how smash for wii u is the fifth smash game, but that has no bearing on how consumers are going to see it

? Batman Arkham City is a sequel to a game obviously influenced a ton from Metroid Prime? Arkham Asylum is a Metroidvania that expanded on the scan visor to create detective vision.

The platforming focus of Doom Eternal also really reminded of Metroid Prime as there's few (if any?) notable other FPSs with a platforming focus that feel like a traditional platformer.
Oh, I thought you were referencing some article from the dev saying this

I'm guessing Nintendo could probably get away with having 512 GBs of internal UFS 3.1 memory and force consumers to do mandatory installs and mandatory downloads for games larger than 16 GBs or 32 GBs.

They wouldn't. Nobody is gonna settle for a few games on their internal and external storage. I assure you that Nintendo is aware of this.

They wouldn't. Nobody is gonna settle for a few games on their internal and external storage. I assure you that Nintendo is aware of this.

Xbox has only prosperity storage expansion (and thus it's expensive as fuck), requires mandatory installs, requires huge mandatory downloads, and are moving to all digital starting next year, phasing out their only disc-based console.

Nintendo has to have large game cards of that size, minimum. They can't delegate all that to the external storage of the consumer.
The competition has required full installs to storage even for physical games for a decade now. The market is largely whatever about this.

I remain hopeful that Nintendo will work out a physical media solution that can run games directly, but let's not act like this is some otherworldly idea. The PS5 comes with an 825 GB drive of which about 667 GB are useable, and every game you play has to run off of that or your own provided storage.

The competition has required full installs to storage even for physical games for a decade now. The market is largely whatever about this.

I remain hopeful that Nintendo will work out a physical media solution that can run games directly, but let's not act like this is some otherworldly idea. The PS5 comes with an 825 GB drive of which about 667 GB are useable, and every game you play has to run off of that or your own provided storage.

I know, and it is one of the key reasons why I lost interest in the "other two". Can't see Nintendo going that route, and if they do I'm out.

Me, too often: "Oh nice, i can't wait to play this new PS5 game right now when i have some time!"

PS5: "Copying"

Me: >:|

Probably because it is.
Cautiously pessimistic about this.
It does sound too good to be true but it's apparently true that they offer this tech, and have for like 4 years now.

I'll try to find it when I'm at a computer but it's their 3D NAND tech which uses a whole bunch of layers of oxide-poly vertically stacked between interconnects, and that allows them to pack more storage into the same area for the same price or cheaper due to the way wafer cost scales with area much more so than volume. They put out a paper about it in 2019 or something.

this is purely speculation and completely impractical to say. tour was not designed as a regular mario kart experience like the others were, to the point nintendo literally can't name the next game mario kart 10 without raising confusion
edit: in case it's not obvious the point is that internally speaking tour may have been the ninth mario kart game like how smash for wii u is the fifth smash game, but that has no bearing on how consumers are going to see it
If Mario Kart X comes out (Switch 2 release title baby!) there will be no consumers going "WTF NINTENDO? WHERE IS 9?" Consumers will be like "Oooh new MK game, cool!"

So.. it really doesn't matter if they "skip" 9. Consumers don't care. Only hardcore, such as yourself, are going to care lol.

It does sound too good to be true but it's apparently true that they offer this tech, and have for like 4 years now.

I'll try to find it when I'm at a computer but it's their 3D NAND tech which uses a whole bunch of layers of oxide-poly vertically stacked between interconnects, and that allows them to pack more storage into the same area for the same price or cheaper due to the way wafer cost scales with area much more so than volume. They put out a paper about it in 2019 or something.
What is the reason that it couldn't be used today, on the current Switch?

What is the reason that it couldn't be used today, on the current Switch?
It may not be compatible with the existing game card slot? They'd have to redesign the cards completely, which is something you can do on a new console much much easier than for an existing one.

Not to mention they have existing contracts with Macronix for a particular product.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom