• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I can feel the sheer amount of same day release big third party titles the Switch 2 will have in its lifetime. It’ll be the closest thing to the SNES. We already heard Far Cry 7 will release the same time as Xbox and Sony.

Yes, but they're still getting stronger and the little footage we got to see was showing them running out of VRAM constantly. That doesn't tell us much in the end, yes... But this game is a true next gen behemoth and has only gotten bigger over time. The 2021 builds are likely to end up as demanding as the optimized 2024-2025 ones simply because the bulk of features weren't implemented yet as you can see, the ballpark itself isn't especially promising already.
you literally do not know any of this lmao

open world would hurt the visuals and also metroid is not really made for open world game design so in the end its a good thing
Metroids already basically feel open world to me. Just a handful of obvious elevator rides that keep everything from feeling truly interconnected, but that's a Witcher 3 problem too.

Are you guys arguing whether or not GTA 6 is coming to the Xbox Series S? Like deadass? LOOOL

Like I've said, they were inevitably going to use the same Load-2-Rooms-At-Time trick that MPR uses, which meant open world was never an option.

Assuming it does end up a crossgen title, it's the perfect candidate for showing off Ray Tracing on the Switch NG.
Metroid Prime 4 will problaby feature more open areas, think of the game having a lot of areas like Skytown, this is how the level design of MP4 would be

Extremely unlikely. GTA VI is a game made for PS5/Series X first and foremost, even a Series S port will be out of the table until further confirmation. I love entertaining the possibility, but tricks aren't going to cut it for a game needing all the legit compute power it can possibly get.
Are you guys arguing whether or not GTA 6 is coming to the Xbox Series S? Like deadass? LOOOL
It'll come, but the downgrade will be massive and possibly go beyond graphics (which will make a Switch 2 port impossible)? Yep, that was the thing I think.

Jim Ryan after seeing the Switch 2 in TGS and told it's coming March '24.

im-out-hands-up.gif

You stated that Series S port was "out of the table" (I assume you meant "off the table").

So are you backpedaling now?
What I told you right after was the thing, basically remote parity.
but the downgrade will be massive and possibly go beyond graphics
you're making tons of assumptions still.
Truly next gen, open world game targeting PS5/Series X specs since the very beginning with the biggest budget ever to do so. Those aren't assumptions, that's the obvious.

Last edited:
Instead of a next-gen console, imagine if we just get a supercharged dock that's marketed like the 32X. :ninja:

The reception to that would be interesting for sure...

I'm sorry, but who is Nick Baker and is he reliable? (Genuine question). I read in the article that he's from XboxEra. Would he be privy of Nintendo stuff?

Anyway, the comparison of open areas like Halo Infinite has me quite hyped. An quasi-open world Metroid Prime could be the shake up the series needed.
I looked into this, it seems he owns XboxEra. Kind of wish the article shows who wrote this article (I cannot tell who wrote this article). All it says is that he talked to someone who "played the game". A game tester?

This article came out August 11 btw (more than a month ago).

I looked into this, it seems he owns XboxEra. Kind of wish the article shows who wrote this article (I cannot tell who wrote this article).

This article came out August 11 btw (more than a month ago).
Thank you! Missed it entirely hahaha. I'm not sure how he would be privy to Nintendo stuff then, but stranger things have happened.

If Prime 4 is truly an reinvention and goes for vast and open areas, that would be incredible.

Examples?

He was banned from Era for pretending to verify sources with the mods after claiming that Pixel Opus was working on a Sly Cooper revival.

(Pixel Opus was closed the next year and had fewer than 20 employees before closing, meaning there was no chance they were doing a big revival of Sly Cooper)

Nick Baker is completely unreliable.

I expect Prime 4 to be heavily influenced by Doom Eternal and Batman Arkham City (as those are the two franchises closest to Metroid that had any financial success in the last 16 years), we'll see how that influence turns out.
i'd explode if Prime 4 has weapon swapping. i do not see Prime 4 pulling from Eternal, they're about crazy powerful warriors in space armor and it's an FPS but i dont see else they could pull without taking away from it being a metroidvania

gonna expand this original comment real quick. What could they take from Doom Eternal, exactly? Or Batman Arkham City? I think the original comment meant Arkham Asylum. Anyways, what does Retro take from those games? Doom Eternal is super fast, gory, and linear. Prime 4 isn't going to have the combat of Eternal and it certainly won't be a linear game, so what else could it pull? I guess glory kills? Dread already kinda has those, specifically for the bosses, but I don't see Retro implementing a system where you can rip low-health enemies in half and get showered in health and missile pick-ups. And what lessons are there to be learned from Arkham Asylum? Asylum does Metroidvania elements but it's not genre-defining, it just does Metroidvania stuff good. Any Metroidvania checks the boxes that Arkham Asylum does, so what is there to pull from that unique?

Last edited:
He was banned from Era for pretending to verify sources with the mods after claiming that Pixel Opus was working on a Sly Cooper revival.

(Pixel Opus was closed the next year and had fewer than 20 employees before closing, meaning there was no chance they were doing a big revival of Sly Cooper)
thanks for the context.

Both are pretty obviously influenced by Metroid Prime in many ways. And unlike Returnal and Prey, they actually made a lot of money. So I'm sure Retro is trying to find ways to gain their popularity.
yeah, but they aren't Metroidvanias.

Returnal and especially Prey actually resemble Metroid games.

Re: GTA 6

I need more than the VRAM usage of a development build 2 years prior to release to know anything about the resolution of a console version. There may be more information that would let us glean the technical requirements of the game in the leak, but I'm not going to read a 60 page document to find it. I do know that the arguments presented here don't make any technical sense.

Economically, Take-Two's financials say they expect - expect - the biggest video game release in history. Rockstar needs to not only sell to a decent chunk of the console market, they have to capture a decent chunk of the PC market as well - a market where the most popular card is 4GB. They need COD money, and you don't make COD money without COD's specs. Even in 2023, Modern Warfare 3 is targeting last gen consoles.

A "doesn't come to Series S" or "I didn't actually say that, I meant the res would be worse than 20 year old YouTube videos" won't deliver what they're claiming they'll make. Which isn't to say they can't blow it, but they've called their shot.

For Prime 4, I would expect to see

1. A grappling hook and dash move (like most games because they're fun and Metroid... Already is 90% of the way there lore wise)
2. Wider areas with more optional, re-occurring combat zones where semi-random events can happen that allow players to engage in a large-ish scale fight (like the random combat zones in Batman Arkham City and Knight)
3. Some form of async or weird multiplayer
4. Much more morph ball focus to try to stand out. Would not be surprised to see a lock-on added and other stuff for frequent morph ball combat. Would not be surprised to see a lot of morph ball stealth.
5. Maybe certain areas having a stalker character similar to RE2, RE7, or Metroid Dread.
6. Much faster-paced combat than Prime 1-3. Probably not as fast as Doom Eternal or with as many systems, but closer.
7. Some attempts to increase replayability or length. Would not be surprised to see Doom Eternal's Arena mode just ripped off directly. Could see optional super bosses. Could see speedrun mode stuff. Would not be surprised by boss rush stuff at all. Would expect to see a ton of unlockable skins for Samus' Power Suit. Would expect to see a bunch of random hidden shit other than missile expansions. Not sure that would work, but I could see them throwing everything at the wall to increase perceived value.

Last edited:
Remember the poster from last year who claimed to have info from a Rockstar dev…

RDR for Switch.
Next console was basically a Switch 2.
Switch 2 was planned for Zelda launch.
RDR II for Switch 2 in it’s launch window.
Switch 2 was roughly PS4 Pro in performance.
Console had 12 gigabytes of memory.
Switch 2 had DLSS and RT support using custom solution.

After the past month I’d say they may well have been the genuine article after all.

I refuse to believe that Rockstar would proudly roll out a game with 512p native resolution for the Series S. There's no reason "turn the resolution down past 720p" would even be among the Top 1,000 things they'd do to optimize Grand Theft Auto VI for the system. They aren't going to release something that results in "GTA VI looks like you smeared Vaseline on your TV" headlines. Baffled that this is a conversation we're having.

I refuse to believe that Rockstar would proudly roll out a game with 512p native resolution for the Series S. There's no reason "turn the resolution down past 720p" would even be among the Top 1,000 things they'd do to optimize Grand Theft Auto VI for the system. They aren't going to release something that results in "GTA VI looks like you smeared Vaseline on your TV" headlines. Baffled that this is a conversation we're having.
This. The game will be getting built around Series S hardware and ramped up in resolution and effects for Series X / PS5.

Also GTA IV and V were both better on Xbox 360. GTA IV has a 60fps mode and RDR has a native 4k mode both thanks to backwards compatibility. RDR II was native 2160p on Xbox One X.

It’s safe to say Microsoft and Rockstar have a very good business relationship.

Let’s get GTA V on Switch 2 before thinking of GTAVI lol.

I thought I read the leaked GTA6 footage was running on a PS4 Pro?
Only the very first one was running on a remote ps4 pro devkit. And that was back in 2021. Also, older ps5 devkits had ps4 UI's, iirc.
Code:
AIWE_ americas - AIWorldEditor 2021-04-15 18-59-33
(Americas is GTA 6's codename(s))

Nick Baker claimed Metroid Prime 4 is visualy unbelievable and would feature huge open areas, not open world, but huge areas

I mean, why would Metroid need to have open-world areas?
Provided they're all interconnected Metroidvania-style, we should be fine?

Remember the poster from last year who claimed to have info from a Rockstar dev…

RDR for Switch.

After the past month I’d say they may well have been the genuine article after all.
Source?

RDR for Switch.

Are you talking about Polygon?

RDR for Switch.

yeah Polygon's leaks were probably a buncha BS. More details not listed here didn't come true and he eventually got banned. 12 gigs, DLSS + RT is not a hard guess. Neither is Red Dead 2 since the GTA Trilogy sold well on Switch.

So are we expecting the Switch NG to be revealed at the investors meeting in November or before it?
Both, I guess. We expect for them to make at least an announcement acknowledging that the thing exists by or at the November 7th investors' meeting, specifically within sometime in those two weeks after the release of Super Mario Bros Wonder. If we still have no official news from Nintendo themselves after that, then we aren't going to hear about it until the next calendar year, which I think completely wipes out any chance of a March release for those who still believe in one.

Metroid Prime 4 will problaby feature more open areas, think of the game having a lot of areas like Skytown, this is how the level design of MP4 would be
Skytown is not Open World. It has some big rooms, but it still uses the exact same room loading system as every other Prime games. I'm sure MP4 will feature some big rooms like Prime 3 had but it most certainly won't be truly open world. To put it another way: Dark Souls has a big world made of connecting rooms but it's not open world, while Elden Ring most certainly is an open world game.

I feel like people are mixing up open world with big areas. They are not mutually inclusive. Metroid is claustrophobic, fear, horror. Imo, it doesn’t need huge areas.

Last edited:
I feel like people are mixing up open world with big areas. They are not mutually exclusive. Metroid is claustrophobic, fear, horror. Imo, it doesn’t need huge areas.
I tend to define it by what kind of loading systems are used. Metroid Prime games have some big areas but it's not open world because it's loading system is two rooms at time. Dark Souls 1 also does something very similar as well (hence the fog gates that game uses for not just boss rooms but also sometimes just new sections, the fact that it isnt open world also made it much easier to impliment its multiplayer system.).

Skyrim is open world because in the outdoor areas the loading is done by distance based culling where it's deciding what to load in and what level of detail mainly based on how far away it is. Same with Elden Ring. Same with BOTW & TOTK. Same with Pokemon S/V.

Last edited:
Attention fellow speculators!!!
With the help of @Meelow, I have made an avatar bet thread regarding the reveal and release of the Switch successor. If you wish to participate, just click the link below, so you can view the rules. Any inquiries and feedback should be shared in the thread on question.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom