• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

maybe there will be a lot more DLSS in handheld mode and docked can run balls to the wall regardless. it could work right? the tech Demos talked about would have referenced docked performance for sure. nothing too dramatic changes for the end user here aside from a bulkier system? they can also keep the price down for sure, Samsung bulk-buy and all that (lol). the only thing is why Nvidia would not have pushed for the best node as the best showcase of their mobile tech...

We know from Gamescom it’s still gonna be capable as hell, and that people are impressed. So I’m not gonna get too worried about it.
honestly yeah if you're really just concerned with what epd will have to work with in the future the form the device takes doesn't matter at all

like, if the software is good enough I'll buy the damn Nintendo GameBrief and put it behind my TV and never think about it

Listen, as this thread's number one proponent of "it could still be 8 nm because all we have is guesswork," let me say two things.

First of all, the node doesn't matter; the performance matters. Just recently we got reports of the performance basically being within or even exceeding expectations. So who cares about what node is making that happen?

Second of all, kopite may be the one reliable Nvidia leaker, but he has a less than stellar record of accuracy with T239 information. After originally introducing the model number and saying Nintendo would use it, he got all of the following wrong: codename (Drake, not Dane), core count (1536, not 1024), and architecture (it's Ampere, but he claimed it and Orin were based on Ada, called it "AD10F," made confusing statements about T234 or T239 mixing in "one GPC of Ada" which doesn't even make sense as a concept). SEC8N was also part of those claims, so I wouldn't put money on that part either.

Tell ya what though, if it is a WUST situation, I'm thrilled to be a part of Nintendo-forum history
I think this WUST thing is a tired shtick. And I wasn't even part of that thread, and have made the majority of this thread's "don't raise expectations without factual information" posts.

First of all, the node doesn't matter; the performance matters. Just recently we got reports of the performance basically being within or even exceeding expectations. So who cares about what node is making that happen?
people who intend to use it not sitting under their TV

Sometimes I feel like people forget how WUST went down, because the trajectory of information we've received regarding T239 over the last 3 years was like the exact opposite.
Listen, as this thread's number one proponent of "it could still be 8 nm because all we have is guesswork," let me say two things.

Second of all, kopite may be the one reliable Nvidia leaker, but he has a less than stellar record of accuracy with T239 information. After originally introducing the model number and saying Nintendo would use it, he got all of the following wrong: codename (Drake, not Dane), core count (1536, not 1024), and architecture (it's Ampere, but he claimed it and Orin were based on Ada, called it "AD10F," made confusing statements about T234 or T239 mixing in "one GPC of Ada" which doesn't even make sense as a concept). SEC8N was also part of those claims, so I wouldn't put money on that part either.

I think this WUST thing is a tired shtick. And I wasn't even part of that thread, and have made the majority of this thread's "don't raise expectations without factual information" posts.
Thank you

honestly yeah if you're really just concerned with what epd will have to work with in the future the form the device takes doesn't matter at all

like, if the software is good enough I'll buy the damn Nintendo GameBrief and put it behind my TV and never think about it
I hear you but I also really am not worried about form factor either. I mean, weight, sure - I want it to be comfortable using it in bed.

But form factor itself I really feel like it’s just going to be a Switch (a little heavier and a little wider).

I think if it was some larger departure we would have heard by now. (I know you’re joking about the briefcase, but I’m general I’m still not expecting anything crazy.)

How does that square with the alleged size this thing would need on 8N, I don’t know. I don’t remember what the experts here said about size in this scenario.

How does that square with the alleged size this thing would need on 8N, I don’t know. I don’t remember what the experts here said about size in this scenario.
pre-gamescom it made sense, now it doesn't without big changes. though maybe being bigger than the steam deck is enough

Consider for a moment that the tech demos certainly did sound neat and exciting and better than expected.

Breath y’all.

This is honestly much appreciated. Thank you

We've had leaked specs for more than a year stolen from the hardware vendor, expectations grounded in those specs, and recent reports aligning with those estimates.

I wasn't around for WUST but from my understanding there was nothing on the level of the T239 leak, what am I missing.

maybe it'll have a handle
oooooh throwback

this is totally baseless but maybe it'll soft launch as a home console next year and come out as a switch in 2026

when the performance/size/cost triangle proved a problem in development they would have decided that rather than making a compromised switch they'd make a weird nintendo home console to start
So like Drake would launch as a home console and then the die-shrunk Lite version would be the hybrid?

We've had leaked specs for more than a year stolen from the hardware vendor, expectations grounded in those specs, and recent reports aligning with those estimates.

I wasn't around for WUST but from my understanding there was nothing on the level of the T239 leak, what am I missing.
You talking about the clock frequencies from the test simulations? While those aren't a confirmation of final clocks, I would say that to even be testing those clocks with the associated power parameters would lead us to think that it can't possibly be running on an 8nm process node.

“Straightforwardly” meaning? If it’s with limited adjustments this is not a given.

Cross-gen has been used for several years now with the PS5/XSX consoles and these titles often employ ray tracing and better details on the newer gen.
Not at all, most cross gen versions don't actually have asset improvements, just better LODs and higher resolutions able to resolve detail better. That's what gives off the illusion.

You're missing the desire to dunk on people for having the audacity to discuss things.

that's why it doesn't make sense though

What I mean is I trust the 4K/60 and fast load times Zelda demo and competent Matrix Awakened demo report first. How it reconciles with hardware is yet to be seen.

Like this is definitely worth talking about, but with a little less pants shitting that’s all.

You talking about the clock frequencies from the test simulations? While those aren't a confirmation of final clocks, I would say that to even be testing those clocks with the associated power parameters would lead us to think that it can't possibly be running on an 8nm process node.
I'm not being that specific. I'm just questioning the comparison of Switch 2 hardware speculation to WUST, which I see happening frequently.

By leaked specs I just mean the details from last year, T239 with 12 SMs and DLSS.

if we're going big

and at this point we're probably going big big

I hope it's the exact shape as the wii u gamepad scaled up to the alleged 8" screen

What I mean is I trust the 4K/60 and fast load times Zelda demo and competent Matrix Awakened demo report first. How it reconciles with hardware is yet to be seen.

Like this is definitely worth talking about, but with a little less pants shitting that’s all.
Unfortunately, them pants can not be unshit :(

Conventional wisdom points to 3D Mario as the killer app/launch title for Switch NG.

What 1st party game do you think Switch NG will launch with? Metroid isn’t exactly known for selling gangbusters.
He's staunchly been of the belief that a more mainstream game will launch with Metroid. Whatever that means is anyone's guess. Trust we've been down this road about Prime 4 being a launch game lol

If the system is coming out Q1, it's hard to not think it'll launch day and date with new system along with the Switch. Q2 leaves the door open a little for say a March release for Prime 4 and then Switch 2 in May or what have you.

at least we have something to keep us amused for the next period...

team 1H vs 2H 24

Kopite Right vs Wrong (The Great Node Debate)
Feels more like Q1 vs Q2 these days lol.

fair enough. as long as it hooks up to a tv I can put it in a cardboard box and pretend it's a home console

I see we are back in the doom or at least debating doom cycle again?
I hope not. The way I see it is that the machine will be impressive regardless of what node the SoC is on, but a smaller a node would allow for a smaller system or better battery life; all things I value heavily in a handheld.

But if it’s on 8N and it’s Steam Deck sized, that’s fine too. As long as the battery life is at least as good as Erista.

Nintendo has always prided itself on it's systems being very energy efficient so this is very much an "I'll believe it when I see it" situation for me atm

The absolute hugest I could see nintendo going is something around the rog ally ballpark in size. Steam deck's a bit TOO big for regular portability imo, especially as a nintendo device thats intended for all ages. Something deck sized might be too large for children.

Realistically, i think it'll be a bit larger but not too noticeably so of the switch oled, with a similar screen-to-bezel ratio. (8N thing is hopefully fake/a mere assumption on the original OP's part tho)

asus-rog-ally-hands-on-11.jpg

Joking aside, the only real concern I have with the Switch 2 being very electricity hungry is that I hope Nintendo's fan system is very quiet relative to the amount of work it has to do.
It's seemingly 4N with more than adequate clocks for a device of its size, unless Nintendo goes ahead and clocks this thing even higher it shouldn't be any louder than the Erista model.

I'm not being that specific. I'm just questioning the comparison of Switch 2 hardware speculation to WUST, which I see happening frequently.
As far as I understand it, the WUST comparison comes from that thread going through a big cycle of expecting the hardware to be extremely capable, overshooting the actual specs to such a degree that when the specs were eventually confirmed the thread spiraled hard.

As far as I know, and I can't speak for others, but I'm pretty sure we're mostly just joshing about "more power hungry, not quite as performant, but most of all physically bigger" being cause for alarm. I know some of us were hoping for a system with roughly the same size and form factor as the current Switch, which 8N might make difficult to pull off, but I don't think any of us are really sincerely dooming or expecting an actual WUST meltdown situation.

Yeah, people forget how WUST went down (I was apart of that thread), expectations on hardware were at an all time time (rumors were putting the Wii U at insane levels), and people were speculating that Kingdom Hearts 3, GTA, etc were going to be announced for the Wii U at E3 2012.

The amount of push for what we know the Switch 2 will be is great and at least we know what the specs seem to be...Unlike the Wii U.

The absolute hugest I could see nintendo going is something around the rog ally ballpark in size. Steam deck's a bit TOO big for regular portability imo, especially as a nintendo device thats intended for all ages. Something deck sized might be too large for children.

Realistically, i think it'll be a bit larger but not too noticeably so of the switch oled, with a similar screen-to-bezel ratio. (8N thing is hopefully fake/a mere assumption on the original OP's part tho)

asus-rog-ally-hands-on-11.jpg
Off-topic but those laminated hexagon tables are very neat and futuristic and would look great in any room with a blacklight or colour changing LEDs, where'd you get them?

Off-topic but those laminated hexagon tables are very neat and futuristic and would look great in any room with a blacklight or colour changing LEDs, where'd you get them?
not my pic so no idea, but I bet you can find them on amazon or another online furniture store, maybe a gaming related on :ROFLMAO:

If 8 nm, couldn't they just run it at slow clocks to get sustainable power/thermals in handheld mode and then run it normally/high clocks when docked, assuming they beef up the cooling system while docked?

We don't need full Matrix demo quality in handheld.

If 8nm then I believe switch 2 is a car.
The 7.91" screen is the infotainment screen.
Docked mode happens when you plug the car in to charge.

Or Kopite is wrong. I believe the latter moreso.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom