• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

As someone else pointed out, there was confusion over the 460MHz option; it seems Eurogamer just wasn't aware of it when they reported on clock speeds before launch. 1.0.0 BotW running on 1.0.0 Switch firmware uses the 460MHz profile, it was never not a thing on release hardware/software.

It's possible MK11 was the first third party title to use it, and Nintendo restricted access to it outside of games they supervised for a while? But I'm not certain, it's been a long time since I've looked into this (and I admittedly don't have that many third party titles to verify with).
I think we can reasonably assume it wasn't in the documentation sent out to third parties around launch, at least, since that seems to be where DF got a lot of their info.

Okay, we really need to talk about the elephant in the room... lack of texture filtering. Will the new device have enough bandwidth to have at least x4 AF on most games, or we are for another 7 years of horribly smeared textures!? IMHO, this is the biggest flaw on the current iteration.

Those songs won't be sung for a while. Like any good composition, you must refine & tinker until the score is flawless.

(The songs I've heard need further vetting and it'll take time before I'm in any position to report what I have but the songs are exceptional.)
Exceptional....han?....

Most probably “exceptional“ just means that the info is solid and in good amounts. In any case, exciting times ahead!

The first train stop is the Nintendo Direct, with more Mario Wonder, Mario RPG, some surprise like F-Zero GX shadow dropping, and my Xenogears remake lol.

Jolkien said:
I'm pretty much a layman regarding this, could that tech makes it's way on PS5?
Dictator said:
I say this on DF direct coming soon, but it does require some realistic numbers.
I saw it denied in 7900xt and it can cost more than a millisecond there, upwards of 1.5, 1.7 I believe depending on how much Async overlap is possible.
That Processing time is small and usable for a 7900xtx- a PS5 has a fraction of the Compute Power and bandwidth, it might be 2-2.5x slower there to process. To the Point where the Performance gained would be lower and Not at all worth it to Hit a real performance target.

IMO, I think one should in the mean time be a Bit conservative and skeptical about it usage on older lower end GPUs given its cost on big GPUs like 7900 XTX

Those songs won't be sung for a while. Like any good composition, you must refine & tinker until the score is flawless.

(The songs I've heard need further vetting and it'll take time before I'm in any position to report what I have but the songs are exceptional.)
You can sing to us privately. You have my permission.

ill-allow-it-ken-jeong.gif

Most probably “exceptional“ just means that the info is solid and in good amounts. In any case, exciting times ahead!

The first train stop is the Nintendo Direct, with more Mario Wonder, Mario RPG, some surprise like F-Zero GX shadow dropping, and my Xenogears remake lol.
You could only really use "exceptional" in this context to mean either exceeding expectations, or more worryingly, representing questionable and unexpected design choices (that lean the system towards the lowest ends of its specs ranges)

I'm choosing to believe in 'exceeding expectations'

Okay, we really need to talk about the elephant in the room... lack of texture filtering. Will the new device have enough bandwidth to have at least x4 AF on most games, or we are for another 7 years of horribly smeared textures!? IMHO, this is the biggest flaw on the current iteration.
T239 has exactly the same performance:bandwidth ratio - and perf:tmu, perf:rops ratios - as any other RTX 30 GPU.

Unlike the Switch, T29 has no consistent GPU bottleneck. Or at least not one that isn’t shared by the last half decade of PC gaming.

Texture filtering is one of those things that developers throw extra performance at, after primary development is done. Because of that, ports from stronger machines will always have lower quality texture filtering because that perf will be spent elsewhere.

When it comes to last gen ports, with even minimal clocks, Redacted should outpace the the PS4 on literally every single technical metric, except possible storage size.

The only thing that may cause less than perfect feature parity between last gen consoles and Redacted will be this extra power causing developers to make a different set of trade offs, and handheld adding a second performance profile to test for.

I personally would love this if Nintendo supported the NG Switch themselves all the way until the fall where third parties would start to come in, which would be why they think the device is launching later that year
Wasn't Foxconn as well anticipating early next year in their financial publication from last month while Nikkei a couple of months ago had also reported on a Nintendo contact suggesting spring 2024? Wondering if there's been a mix-up with the H2 reports where perhaps Q2 was meant instead, although if that was the case then the official announcement would have to be coming within the next 8 weeks or so and thus far nothing's indicating significant activity

I too think they could shift it throughout the first several months on just a few content-dense flagship entries and some second-party titles on top of expansions and overhauls for the major releases of the last year or two, honestly for myself and a lot of others the prospect of getting a prettier and smoother Zelda, Pokémon and Mario experience is already enough to make the buy

Quoted by: LiC

a case where heavy terms and conditions apply when AMD says "consoles can use it". it already rules out the Series S because that has fewer compute units than a gpu that's below AMD's minimum recommendations. it already misses high frame rate performance modes anyway, so it's not like it can get use out of it.

I think people should definitely temper their expectations on this. support sounds more like a technicality than anything else

Wasn't Foxconn as well anticipating early next year in their financial publication from last month while Nikkei a couple of months ago had also reported on a Nintendo contact suggesting spring 2024? Wondering if there's been a mix-up with the H2 reports where perhaps Q2 was meant instead, although if that was the case then the official announcement would have to be coming within the next 8 weeks or so and thus far nothing's indicating significant activity

I too think they could shift it throughout the first several months on just a few content-dense flagship entries and some second-party titles on top of expansions and overhauls for the major releases of the last year or two, honestly for myself and a lot of others the prospect of getting a prettier and smoother Zelda, Pokémon and Mario experience is already enough to make the buy
There was nothing from Foxconn's or anyone else's financial releases. It was MoneyDJ, a Taiwanese business reporting outlet, who claimed that "supply chain sources" indicated a launch in Q1 2024, which MoneyDJ was reporting on because they expect it to boost Foxconn's business (among other companies).

Nikkei's earlier reporting only said that "a product launch won't happen before next spring at the earliest."

There was also something from TechInsights earlier today, but it's unclear whether that's real reporting or just more "expectations."

It's very easy. If you already have DLSS/TAA in place, then FSR2 drops right in with almost no work. There is obviously testing and QA that is required, but development is like, a day's worth of work.
Good to know FSR2 requires TAA. I feel dumb for asking this. You can actually stack DLSS with FSR2?

Also I'm curious.. How easy is it for devs to implement DLSS? I imagine it would take a while to get the DLSS ball rolling on Switch 2 (as in most games not supporting it at the start)

Last edited:
Is it possible that Drake has evolved to better specifications?
No, not really. Drake is basically as powerful and up-to-date as it is possible to be with a device that goes in a Switch formfactor. There are, at most, 3 micro-upgrades that might be possible, and I don't think they're even worth it.

But wait.. you can actually stack DLSS with FSR2?
What I meant was the the integration is basically identical between the two technologies, so if you have one, you've already done all the hard work to slot in the other. It's only slightly more complicated than "search, replace FSR_ with Nv_DLSS" - though again the hard work is testing afterward

Also I'm curious.. How easy is if did devs to implement DLSS? I imagine it would take a while to get the DLSS ball rolling on Switch 2 (as in most games not supporting it at the start)
It’s pretty easy? If you’re using Unreal it’s literally a check box and you’re done. If you’re doing it by hand into a custom engine it might take anywhere from a week much longer.

The big question I have is how will it work on Switch 2? DLSS has a custom integration for all the graphics APIs that devs might use on PC. Switch handles some things differently enough that there might be some extra work required. But it still doesn’t appear to be that difficult.

If you think that Eurogamer/DF reporting on final hardware is the same as people on this forum guessing based on leaks from 2 years ago then I'm not sure what to say to you.
Let me put it for you into context so you can see why it’s the same thing for this particular case:

Nintendo gives developer kits to third-party partners. Third-party partners that are in contact with digital foundry and digital foundry ancquires information from a third-party developer, or not even a developer just someone on a third-party side of things. Therefore, digital foundry received information from a third-party. DF is the 2nd down the line to have information, not the first and not the primary from directly Nintendo and reports to us who would be the third down the line of receiving information.

Nvidia suffers a large hack in the first half of 2022. In said hack, it has plans for hardware that are done years in advance from Nvidia even plans into an various silicon from their next generation lineup, the RTX 40 series, and even data center and other automotive parts into it, including DLSS, not to mention silicon information via an API called NVN2, with which said API also has references to (some) Nintendo specific information. In this case Nvidia is not Nintendo, so they will be the ”third party source” of information. Nvidia still updates information regarding this chip more than once on Linux confirming that it is still in existence. We also find that there is no other chip for them to work with from Nvidia, therefore, the only one we are narrowed down to is this being the chip.

We are in that sense the third in line to receive information about Nintendo because we didn’t get it directly from Nintendo we got it from someone else.

Do you see how we are in the same position?

We are literally never getting anything directly confirmed from the horse itself. Everything we’ve ever found has been from the cow spying on the chicken that spied on the horse. We never found anything directly from the horse.

Except, maybe, who they are working with in the past. Though I’m not sure if current nintendo has ever mentioned Nvidia in any capacity in the past seven years.
There's at least a precedent though: we had an FCC filing for an Nvidia-based 3DS devkit, yet the final hardware had a completely different HW partner.

So while we have multiple, extremely solid hints at what the nextgen Switch could end up using, I can totally see why people might prefer keeping a more cautious approach. You never know.
I mean, I suppose so considering what the 3DS was succeeding. It was easier for them to just switch around I think? I don’t think the DS really had a GPU in a traditional sense and it was actually the CPU doing everything so Nintendo wasn’t so limited to having to be nvidia and were able to switch around, but I could be wrong. while with a switch to switch 2 it’ll be a lot harder and trickier because it has a Sophisticated GPU.

You guys seem fairly confident that Drake is going to be on the TSMC N4 node that Nvidia is currently using on Lovelace hardware.

I’m still betting there is a small chance they go with Samsung’s 8nm Node
That’s fine.

But I wouldn’t really expect a portable console at that point.

Bodes a bit nicer for Drake I guess.

Princess Peach is in Prime 4?!?
Yes. I will voice Toad and Toad and the other Toad with a hiccup as a memorable trait.

Unless I’m quashed into mushroom soup….
Are the birds singing?

PlayStationPortal discussion, talk about the XBox Series S and talk about the influencers being flown to New York for a game or whatever.

That’s what it’ll be on.
Probably not. It’s not really that much of a thing on consoles I think?

That reminds me, I've had the GameCube version for three years and I still haven't played it yet 😅

Legends is overall the better version, but suffers from lower quality audio, mainly music, and during S. Moves, the audio can go out of sync because they wanted to “speed” up the moves so as not to make everything so fricking long. Battles in general are “faster,” which does not help the out of sync audio.

Otherwise, it’s a solid version with better graphics, more side quests and character backstory, less enemy encounters, and still one of the best applications of open world progression in any game…ever.

It doesn’t hurt that it’s still over two decades later my GOAT. I’ve been waiting since Legends for a remaster/definitive version of the game. I don’t even want a sequel. Just give me Skies of Arcadia.

I don’t even want a sequel. Just give me Skies of Arcadia.
I was with you until the end. I still want a sequel (despite Reiko Kodama’s passing). I suppose I’ll take anything at this point, a remaster or even a ROM dump on modern digital stores. It’s a crime that a classic is languishing on hardware from three generations ago.

I was with you until the end. I still want a sequel (despite Reiko Kodama’s passing). I suppose I’ll take anything at this point, a remaster or even a ROM dump on modern digital stores. It’s a crime that a classic is languishing on hardware from three generations ago.

I just don’t know how a sequel can work given how the game already feels “complete.” It’s legitimately one of the very few games I’ve played where the game feels finished, and the player accomplished. The game just feels perfect on its own as its own story.

That said, perhaps a sequel that takes place centuries after the first game MIGHT work, but certainly not another adventure with Vyse. At least, I don’t see it.

Edit: as a side note, I was bummed when Reiko passed away. She understood how to make good characters, give them a personality, and also make the player actually care about them. It’s rare for me to actually “care” about the characters in the story, let alone the game itself.

Legends is overall the better version, but suffers from lower quality audio, mainly music, and during S. Moves, the audio can go out of sync because they wanted to “speed” up the moves so as not to make everything so fricking long. Battles in general are “faster,” which does not help the out of sync audio.

Otherwise, it’s a solid version with better graphics, more side quests and character backstory, less enemy encounters, and still one of the best applications of open world progression in any game…ever.

It doesn’t hurt that it’s still over two decades later my GOAT. I’ve been waiting since Legends for a remaster/definitive version of the game. I don’t even want a sequel. Just give me Skies of Arcadia.
Wait, it's open world????

As someone else pointed out, there was confusion over the 460MHz option; it seems Eurogamer just wasn't aware of it when they reported on clock speeds before launch. 1.0.0 BotW running on 1.0.0 Switch firmware uses the 460MHz profile, it was never not a thing on release hardware/software.

It's possible MK11 was the first third party title to use it, and Nintendo restricted access to it outside of games they supervised for a while? But I'm not certain, it's been a long time since I've looked into this (and I admittedly don't have that many third party titles to verify with).
Seriously, I never knew that, so I never thought to check. Having checked now, BotW, MK8D, Mario Odyssey, and various others early games by Nintendo are using the 460Mhz profile.

Exceptional can only mean one, some, or all of the following:

• Better tech than expected
  • Better launch lineup than expected
  • Better price than expected
  • Earlier launch date than expected
  • New IP called KNEES than expected

I'm choosing to believe all of the above no I will not be taking further questions at this time.

Sneak peak at the songs sung:

"Console from Tokyo"
"Carry On My Insider Friend"
"Nintendo, I Love Your Way"
"I'll Do Anything For Leaks, But I Won't Do That"
"(I Can't Get No) Backwards Compatability"
"Sgt Nate's Insider Fanclub Band"
"Don't Stop Believing"

Why does anyone pay any attention to fakes that are so obviously not merely bad, but from someone who doesn't know the first thing about anything. Mixing up its and it's while claiming to leak marketing information especially is just hilarious.
Especially when you see the home menu mockups for the "focus". Not sure if they're made by the same person, but they don't do the credibility any favors. It ends up looking less real than this :LOL:

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg

This is only a tidbit for those interested in the supply chain. Skip if not.

Shenzhen Zesum Technology is a Nintendo supplier of these parts, the Joy-Con rails being their main product. The company went public this July, listed in ChiNext (sort of a Chinese Nasdaq). During the stock registration procedure, a copious amount of info was disclosed to the public. In one of the documents, Zesum stated that the company worked with “Company N” to develop the Joy-Con rails for the OLED model, therefore was the very first supplier of these parts. Here’s the development process:

Source
uQxCT49.png

Translation
cSmNpEc.png

• Nintendo began working with the supplier on the updated Joy-Con rails from 11/2019. That’s 24 months prior to the release of OLED model.
  • On the supplier side, the new parts went from initial development to mass production in 18 months.
  • From the start of mass production, it took 6 months to reach the retailers.
  • 24, 18, and 6 are very exact numbers. It seems that the launch of OLED model was meticulously planned.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:

Shenzhen Zesum Technology is a Nintendo supplier of these parts, the Joy-Con rails being their main product. The company went public this July, listed in ChiNext (sort of a Chinese Nasdaq). During the stock registration procedure, a copious amount of info was disclosed to the public. In one of the documents, Zesum stated that the company worked with “Company N” to develop the Joy-Con rails for the OLED model, therefore was the very first supplier of these parts. Here’s the development process:

Source
uQxCT49.png

Translation
cSmNpEc.png

• Nintendo began working with the supplier on the updated Joy-Con rails from 11/2019. That’s 24 months prior to the release of OLED model.
  • On the supplier side, the new parts went from initial development to mass production in 18 months.
  • 24, 18, and 6 are very exact numbers. It seems that the launch of OLED model was meticulously planned.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Wouldn't that be something if the Switch NG is sitting in some warehouse complete for months in the Spring and Nintendo don't release it until later in the fall

Let me put it for you into context so you can see why it’s the same thing for this particular case:

Nintendo gives developer kits to third-party partners. Third-party partners that are in contact with digital foundry and digital foundry ancquires information from a third-party developer, or not even a developer just someone on a third-party side of things. Therefore, digital foundry received information from a third-party. DF is the 2nd down the line to have information, not the first and not the primary from directly Nintendo and reports to us who would be the third down the line of receiving information.

Nvidia suffers a large hack in the first half of 2022. In said hack, it has plans for hardware that are done years in advance from Nvidia even plans into an various silicon from their next generation lineup, the RTX 40 series, and even data center and other automotive parts into it, including DLSS, not to mention silicon information via an API called NVN2, with which said API also has references to (some) Nintendo specific information. In this case Nvidia is not Nintendo, so they will be the ”third party source” of information. Nvidia still updates information regarding this chip more than once on Linux confirming that it is still in existence. We also find that there is no other chip for them to work with from Nvidia, therefore, the only one we are narrowed down to is this being the chip.

We are in that sense the third in line to receive information about Nintendo because we didn’t get it directly from Nintendo we got it from someone else.

Do you see how we are in the same position?

We are literally never getting anything directly confirmed from the horse itself. Everything we’ve ever found has been from the cow spying on the chicken that spied on the horse. We never found anything directly from the horse.
I never had the slightest problem understanding that Nintendo are extremely unlikely to provide the exact specs at any point.

You can say that apart from the horse's mouth, all information is 3rd party so all the same blah blah but it is not true, the fact that when a reliable, trustworthy site like EG/DF confirms the specs of the finished product, It'll be solid, just like with OG Switch.
Terrell's great post explains how it's very unlikely not to be T239 but who knows what has happened since TEH STOLEN DATA (which does not contain all information to be sure of performance anyway), e.g. the cancellation of Switch Pro. I'll let people state exactly how it'll compare to Series S, despite having no idea on RAM, clock speeds etc.
I'll personally wait for actual confirmation on the finished product before I can say "I know", I really hope it is T239 with 12GB of RAM and decent clock speeds etc. As likely as it seems, it's not confirmed.
Insist all you want that Nintendo will never tell us so THE STOLEN DATA is as good as we'll ever get, I completely disagree.

Source
uQxCT49.png

Translation
cSmNpEc.png

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Are there any particular design changes in regards to the design of Joy Con rails parts?

Are there any particular design changes in regards to the design of Joy Con rails parts?
I assume that you’re asking about the OLED model’s rails? The fit of these rails is tighter, so the Joy-Cons are less likely to become loose. Don’t know whether they are also more durable but that’s possible.

In the Zesum document, the company stated that Nintendo obliged them to import the material (steel) for the rails from a designated supplier to ensure quality. It is rather unusual for a Chinese manufacturer to import steel because sourcing locally would be cheaper. It demonstrates Nintendo’s quality standard (thumb stick notwithstanding).

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Nate should have said nothing. Now this "exceptional" word is going to snowball down a hill and turn into something he never said.
Let's make sure this does not happen. He was kind enough to say it. For now let's just be confident Nintendo knows what they are doing. Like with totk, the wait was extended countless times, but in the end it was worth it. We just know now that it is one of these situations.

Does anyone here have access to TechInsights’ market analyses? There are reports from China claiming that the latest TechInsights console market analysis “estimates” that the Switch NG will be launched in “March or April next year”. Here is one of the reports. My translation of relevant section (emphases mine):

“In 2022, Nintendo led the console hardware market with a 40% share, albeit down from 45% in 2021. […] Nintendo was able to maintain its lead due to the tremendous success of Switch OLED (launched in October 2021) between Q4 2021 and Q1 2023, with 15 million units shipped worldwide. Meanwhile, Nintendo’s global market share will drop sharply to 28% this year, ceding the number one position to Sony. The trend will reverse in 2024, with the next-generation Switch 2 expected to be launched in March or April next year. TechInsights estimates that the release of the new model will boost Nintendo’s global market share back up to nearly 40 percent. However, that won’t be enough to dethrone Sony from the number one position.”

Note that the “market share” mentioned above refers to the number of units shipped. TechInsights reports usually are fairly reliable, however it isn’t clear from the regurgitated articles from China whether the Switch NG launch window is strictly their estimation or based on any industry information.
I am in a similar line of work. They don't have more information than anyone. This is just glorified journalists but with a view/speculating. Not that there is no value in that, but they should make it clear.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom