• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Decided to do some digging since you got me curious.

The PlayStation 3, launched in late 2006, used Nvidia’s RSX Reality Synthesizer, which was a custom GPU based on the 7800GTX, which that launched in June 2005.

Xbox 360, launched in late 2005, used the ATI/AMD Xenos GPU, which was based around the R520 architecture, and the X1800XT, though with lots of modifications. That GPU came out just before the Xbox 360.

Both the 7800GTX, and the X1800XT were considered high end at the time, like a Nvidia 70, or 80 series class of GPU, or similarly AMD’s 700, 800 series of GPUs. So very advanced stuff, and along with their respective CPUs helps to explain why their systems lost a ton of money launch, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

The Wii U, launched in late 2012, by contrast, used a modified ATI/AMD, which was based around the Radeon HD 4000 series of GPUs that came out all the way back in 2008/2009.

The Wii U feels a bit out of outlier here all things considered, but it also helps explain why it felt only slightly more capable than the HD twins before it.

Jumping to the PS4, and Xbone, both launching in late 2013, it was difficult to find something definitive on what the PS4 used for the GPU except some of the main specs such as GCN 2.0, 18 CUs, etc. it appears it was based on one of Radeon’s R9 2xx class of cards, all of which came out in 2013 thereabouts.

By contrast, the Xbone’s GPU appears based on the HD 7790, which came out in 2012, though I can’t definitively confirm that either. Finding correct info for either of those two proves difficult.

PS5, and Xbox Series also appear to follow a similar trope of a GPU design that is at most about a year old.

So you’re probably correct the Pro versions of the PS5, and Xbox Series might use at minimum RX 8000 series. The PS5 Pro, in raw TFLOPS, is speculated to have 227% more TFLOPS, so about 33.5 TFLOPS as I got from Tom’s Guide: https://www.tomsguide.com/gaming/th...evably-hyped-for-sonys-next-console-heres-why

Looking at what RX 7000 equivalent that’d be, that’s like 7800XT, though with improvements in RDNA 4 would probably push that above, but don’t expect PS5 Pro to consume anywhere near as much juice as the 7800XT.

Though in the Tom’s Guide article, there was this:

There is a fairly major caveat according to longtime industry veteran Richard Leadbetter, though. “The same Sony documents suggest only an extra 45 percent of actual throughout,” reports DF’s Leadbitter. “Part of the explanation comes from the RDNA 3 architecture with its dual-issue FP32 support, which doubles the amount of instructions processed, but which does not typically double game performance.”“

So there would appear to be more nuance than just a raw speculation it’s over 3x the horsepower of the PS5. Might end up being somewhere between, so perhaps 7600/7700 equivalent in the end. We’ll see though.

Considering all this, Nintendo prefers to use a more “mature” architecture, with Maxwell for Tegra X1 (though does have some features of Pascal), which came out in 2015, so two years between its launch, and Nintendo Switch.

Tegra Drake (Ampere with some Ada sprinkled in) potentially is even longer from finished chip to launch (2022 to 2025), though it should be made clear the pandemic likely had an effect on this. Switch 2 very possibly could’ve launched this year, though if a Switch Pro was actually planned until the Pandemic, Drake may never have existed.

This was an interesting brief dive into the history of what GPUs are present in each platform, plus when the equivalent GPUs for PC came out. Nintendo prefers to give it a good 2-3 years (4 in the case for Wii U), whereas Sony, and Microsoft like going out guns blazing within a year.

I will say given the Tegra X1 will be ten years old next year I think just shows how Moore’s law has slowed down, but more importantly how developers have been able to find new, and exciting ways of optimizing the software for the hardware given, despite its age. It actually makes me excited what developers will accomplish on Drake in the coming years while also making games for the big two.
Final Pro clocks are higher than 2.18GHz, 2.35GHz, I believe that Raster is 50+% better( that number 45% was specific about raster only with clocks 2.18ghz), Base of GPU is RDNA 3.5 but RT, AI Cores are from RDNA4, RT is 3-4x better and this is directly from the Pro documentation, in addition, Pro will have its own AI based Upscaller PSSR, 6700 XT is what is in PS5 and XSX

Last edited:
To put it into perspective, 33TFLOPS in raw terms is equivalent to the RTX 3090 ti. There is no fucking way the PS5 Pro will have that kind of horsepower. Even if we use Ada as an equivalent, that would be the RTX 4080. Again, no fucking way, but the issue isn’t just in terms of cost though. It’s also the power consumption.

Ps3, PS4, and PS5 follow similar power consumption, in that 150-200 watt range. So for the sake of things, let’s bump it up to a full 200 watts. You mentioned 17ish TFLOPs, so the equivalent AMD card would be more or less a detuned RX 7700, or an overclocked RX 7600XT. But given the increase in CUs for the 7700 to 48CU, we'll go with that. That GPU alone has a TDP of 200w. So maybe remove a couple CUs, adjust the clocks a bit, and you might have a good benchmark.

But I also wonder if the PS5 Pro will still use the APU setup for the whole processor, or instead for an MCM approach aka Chiplet design since that is what AMD is now pushing towards.

As a side note, i do remember those figures for the ROG ALLY supposedly having 8 TFLOPs, and immediately I knew it was half precision. But also as a side note, TFLOPs don’t mean as much as they used to. Drake supposedly having ~4 TFLOPs on paper doesn't sound like a lot if you compare flops to flops with the PS5 for example being 10TFLOPS. But say some games were running at 4K on PS5, a similar title on Switch 2 would handle it at 1080p, and very similar fidelity. Lower for sure, but not so far back as one would think.

4K still be expensive to render all dem pixels.
PS5 Pro is Normal APU, not chiplet, GPU is 60CUs active/64 on die, final clocks of GPU is 2.35GHz not 2.18GHz, so more like 50+% better raster than 45% so is like beetwen 7700 XT and 7800 XT in terms of raster if you look at comparison and knowing that PS5 GPU is 6700 XT,it use RDNA4 RT Cores and RT in Pro 3-4x better than in PS5 RT according to official documentation, on top of that it will use their own AI based upscaller PSSR and use AI Cores from RDNA 4, like im said in comment before, RDNA 3.5 is base with RDNA4 RT and AI Cores

Many of Nintendo's studios have squeezed maximum juice out if the Switch at this point.

I don't know if I agree. I think if you had those same teams working on sequel projects on Switch you'd see them making some graphical improvements. That being said, I'm not sure how much more Retro could push Prime 4 and maintain 60 fps on Switch.

Don't think there's a measure you can use to quantify that

Agreed. The best we can do is analyze the games and developer interviews, and try to evaluate them as objectively as possible.

Final Pro clocks are higher than 2.18GHz, 2.35GHz, I believe that Raster is 50+% better( that number 45% was specific about raster only with clocks 2.18ghz), Base of GPU is RDNA 3.5 but RT, AI Cores are from RDNA4, RT is 3-4x better and this is directly from the Pro documentation, in addition, Pro will have its own AI based Upscaller PSSR, 6700 XT is what is in PS5 and XSX

The ML/AI hardware is actually fully custom from Sony. AMD didn't make it, apparently, unlike the RT hardware which does seem to be from RDNA4.

I don't know if I agree. I think if you had those same teams working on sequel projects on Switch you'd see them making some graphical improvements. That being said, I'm not sure how much more Retro could push Prime 4 and maintain 60 fps on Switch.
That's not fair to say. Graphics isn't the only element you can push into the limit. Like, Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom don't look as good graphically as Prime Remastered/4 Beyond, but they push the Switch in their own individual ways (physics engine).

Late 2025? Haha, nah. I don't think so. They wouldn't delay it time over time over time.

Look, like I said in the September Direct Predictions topic:

In last week's Direct announcement, they purposely repeated Furukawa's words ''There'll be no mention of the Switch's successor''.
Look, they can do that one time, but I doubt they can do that a 2nd time, without revealing the system first.
I really do think the reveal trailer is coming in august, so that they can have a september mini Direct that will focus on Switch 1 games till december. By doing that, it will be more understandable if they repeat that phrase again, so they can have an event in some later time. (like a november showcase event for Switch II)

But let's say, the Switch II is releasing in late 2025.. They will have to repeat the phrase ''There'll be no mention of the Switch successor'' a lot of times, and that will anger or confuse a lot of fans who know that Nintendo has a new system up their sleeve, but wouldn't show it over and over.

Nah people, they mentioned the system twice by now, it'll come soon. I'm sure of it. No late 2025.
They could also give name or release date on the invertidor meeting , or saying a date for the announcement ,but i think its call for much

If there some investor not interested on the sucessor , the furuwaka words now awakened them , so nintendo dosent have many time to show nothing

That's not fair to say. Graphics isn't the only element you can push into the limit. Like, Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom don't look as good graphically as Prime Remastered/4 Beyond, but they push the Switch in their own individual ways (physics engine).

I agree with your statement but I never intended to suggest otherwise. Perhaps clear definitions would be more useful here: when I say "push to the limits" I am not referring to how hard the system is working, but if it is actually possible to make any improvements on future iterations on the same system, whether we're talking about graphics, physics, simulations, etc.

Tears of the Kingdom is actually a good example of the devs going much further than what people thought could be done on Switch based on BOTW, especially when accounting for all the framerate dips throughout BOTW.

Can you give source please, is not like I’m not believe you but that’s very interesting, im heard it use RDNA4 AI Cores

I recalled seeing it in the leaked slides. I just checked a saved copy of them, and the first bullet point under "Machine Learning Capabilities of GPU" says "fully custom design". So I'm not 100% sure, but I think that means it's not taken from any already existing design and has been made for the Trinity GPU specifically. Of course, Mark Cerny has said that when Sony and AMD collaborate they end up using each other's stuff, so for all we know this "fully custom design" might come to AMD GPUs anyway.

Also, the hardware is being used to accelerate "PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution" rather than an upcoming FSR4 or something.

I wouldn't go as far as calling people blind, but I do like your late PS3/early PS4 comparison. To me, Prime 4 looks like a game you'd expect from a system that is exactly halfway between PS3 and PS4.

While the hardware is the ultimate limiting factor, almost no game actually realizes a given hardware's peak theoretical performance, so there is typically plenty of room to improve on an engine given enough time, talent, and resources. Retro is the kind of studio that optimizes their engine and projects between releases and during development, and the results speak for themselves in that Prime 4 trailer.

Now I'm not going to tell you that you should see a bigger difference than you're reporting, because the significance in the difference is somewhat subjective since not everyone cares about the same things when it comes to graphics.

In my opinion, material response (how light appears to react to different surfaces) is incredibly important to a game's visual presentation because it can range anywhere between making materials look like flat textures and giving materials the appearance of multiple layers and believable microsurface detail. Normal maps are not enough for realistic material response because the way that light interacts with a given material's various maps is what makes the detail look so convincing, and the more realistic the material response, the more shader complexity will be required. You can really see this in action on the translucent and metallic surfaces in Prime 4.

Another game that did this very well on Switch was Luigi's Mansion 3, but even it has been bested by Prime 4's more realistic PBR.
While im with you that it's important, I don't value it as much as a clean image first. For me a lower resolution eats up the benefits you get from better material response, but it for sure is a balancing act. And while yeah, retro are good, they also had the limiting factor or "get the game out by the end of switch". Even if switch theoretically could do more... It's their second switch game, presumably taking the remaster as a base. There is only do much they can do.

I would prefere a cleaner look on switch and a switch2 port with better shading.

The comparison of PS3/PS4 I find to stark... But PS3 Vs something in between PS3 and 4 is where I would position it.

I recalled seeing it in the leaked slides. I just checked a saved copy of them, and the first bullet point under "Machine Learning Capabilities of GPU" says "fully custom design". So I'm not 100% sure, but I think that means it's not taken from any already existing design and has been made for the Trinity GPU specifically. Of course, Mark Cerny has said that when Sony and AMD collaborate they end up using each other's stuff, so for all we know this "fully custom design" might come to AMD GPUs anyway.

Also, the hardware is being used to accelerate "PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution" rather than an upcoming FSR4 or something.
Oh it make sense thanks

The weird thing is that if Nintendo is basing their Switch 2 launch on games being ready, it would mean that Nintendo today is not sure when they will launch the Switch 2 because they still don't know when the 3D Mario game is ready for release.

honestly, the ps5 pro could have 5828CUs, 500000 teraflops and i still wouldn't buy it

you need actual games to convince me
Yeah if anything i would be less hyped because i know Sony of today can't make PS5 style games in a timely manner. So games being made with PS6 specs in mind probably takes 8 years for them to make or something making the console even less appealing. At least with the Switch 2 we know Nintendo will make tons of Switch 2 exclusive games, the same can't be said with Playstation because we know they will do cross gen releases for most of the console life anyway. So basically new Playstation consoles from this point onward is mostly to play the same games with better framerates and resolution because cross gen releases make a new console automatically mostly a ''Play the same games but better'' proposition to consumers.

There is a real possibility that Switch 2 will have more first party exclusive games year 1 than PS5 have seen in 5 years.

The weird thing is that if Nintendo is basing their Switch 2 launch on games being ready, it would mean that Nintendo today is not sure when they will launch the Switch 2 because they still don't know when the 3D Mario game is ready for release.
I think they know now when launch , just dont wanna risk do the same thing as ps5 and xbox and not release with a exclusive game at start to justify the buy

They can combo a 1 or 2 new games , and many upscaling games with great upgrade via retro like zelda botw to make the release justified

the 40th anniversary of super mario bros for the NES is 2025. my theory is the switch 2 wasnt really delayed, it was planned at the first place for 2025. they need that mr wahoo guy blowout for the switch 2

honestly, the ps5 pro could have 5828CUs, 500000 teraflops and i still wouldn't buy it

2025-2026 will be very big years for PlayStation and PS Studios, both insiders and Sony officially say this, it will also be the biggest years in video games industry entire history, the marketing itself what will said that the most anticipated game in the history,GTA VI,will work and look best on PS5 Pro will sell PS5 Pro like hot cakes

2025-2026 will be very big years for PlayStation and PS Studios, both insiders and Sony officially say this, it will also be the biggest years in video games industry entire history, the marketing itself what will said that the most anticipated game in the history,GTA VI,will work and look best on PS5 Pro will sell PS5 Pro like hot cakes
2025 and 2026 will be years in this industry to remember, no doubt... So many games coming from all sides, no doubt the Pro will use it to its advantage.

Kojima productions have signed deals with both Sony and Microsoft, i wonder if he would be open to sign a deal with Nintendo as well.
I wouldn't be surprised, maybe death stranding ports with Nintendo reference.

It's probably one of the weirdest game that Kojima has ever make, he also developed the MGS 3ds Demo. since he was impressed by the 3D effect...
depending on the Switch 2 gimmick, i can see Kojima make something for the Switch 2, by utilising the Joy-Cons.

81dO7WyRXeL.jpg

Sony and MS really shot themselves in the foot for chasing that "MoSt PoWeRfUl CoNsOlE iN tHe WoRlD" title since basically the beginning to the point where games take so long to make that they barely have anything releasing now. (Also trend chasing ruined a lot studios lately)

PS2 was the last Sony console i actively played on for several years. I barely played on my PS4 and the PS5 is a glorified dust collector. I'm reaching the point of questioning whether i even want to play Monster Hunter Wilds on it when i can just do that on my PC instead with a better framerate. (Especially now that Capcom finally releases their major games on PC simultaneously with the consoles)

Nintendo made the right call to slow down with the generational leaps in terms of specs for each new console gen.
Switch 2 will still be a big one, but it's going to be the last noticable one. I just hope they keep their scopes in check so that most games won't take that much longer to make than on Switch 1. We need smaller AA games just as much as the big AAA stuff to fill the gaps between releases. (Which neither Sony nor MS understand)

Last edited:
No...? It was ported to PC by the above publisher, it should be able to happen just fine. Do not expect the sequel, though.
The fact that there is no Xbox port and how hard PS is pushing those games give me the feeling that they are locked PS and PC only. A lot of games are console exclusive where they are locked down to 1 console brand and PC only.

Honestly, as unlikely as it may be, only a death stranding 2 port to switch2 would show the true performance capabilities of switch2.Death Stranding 1 ported to switch2 I would be pleasantly surprised if it was in a next gen version.

The fact that there is no Xbox port and how hard PS is pushing those games give me the feeling that they are locked PS and PC only. A lot of games are console exclusive where they are locked down to 1 console brand and PC only.
Not having an Xbox port doesn't really mean anything for Nintendo.

It really should, it was published by 505 Games in the case of the PC version. I'm sure they can do it again.
Maybe not 505 bc they dumped a lot of their rights etc… but kojima could self publish digitally. We know Sony consider Nintendo differently to Microsoft so yeah i feel like theyd allow a DS1 port with DS2 out on PS5 as an extension of their PC strategy where you might actually get a few switch ppl buying a ps5 in addition unlike pc

Honestly, as unlikely as it may be, only a death stranding 2 port to switch2 would show the true performance capabilities of switch2.Death Stranding 1 ported to switch2 I would be pleasantly surprised if it was in a next gen version.
It's a current gen Decima game, no chance. This no cross gen stuff... The first game director's cut has been proven to run in the 2050 mobile in the other hand, I'd say it's a lock.

Surprisingly good game, took some time to make me realise it's a stellar title.

I'm genuinely curios if Kojima might have seen or have the Switch 2 Dev-Kit.
Since Kojima is partnering with Sony and Microsoft, i'm curios if he also made a deal to make a game for the Switch 2.

Maybe, something similar to the Silent Hill game he was meant to make, until it was cancelled, would be neat if he continued the development, but instead calls it something different.

It's a current gen Decima game, no chance. This no cross gen stuff... The first game director's cut has been proven to run in the 2050 mobile in the other hand, I'd say it's a lock.
Actually I know it's a current gen game, I'm just saying that hypothetically death stranding 2 ported to switch2 could also be played with graphical fidelity closer to the ps5 version.

I'm doubting this one and a few others regarding that... Would need to see a comparably tech heavy game running on the two to make an assessment.
Yeah, I was just guessing from the footage in the trailer, switch2 is basically more than enough to run the death stranding 1 director's cut, but death stranding 1 didn't utilize the RT on it, whereas death stranding 2 obviously did, so I think it's more representative of switch2's true level of play.

Surprisingly good game, took some time to make me realise it's a stellar title.

I'm genuinely curios if Kojima might have seen or have the Switch 2 Dev-Kit.
Since Kojima is partnering with Sony and Microsoft, i'm curios if he also made a deal to make a game for the Switch 2.

Maybe, something similar to the Silent Hill game he was meant to make, until it was cancelled, would be neat if he continued the development, but instead calls it something different.
I've got it through on ps4 in 2019 and I was one of the few people who really enjoyed the game at the time.

Yeah, I was just guessing from the footage in the trailer, switch2 is basically more than enough to run the death stranding 1 director's cut, but death stranding 1 didn't utilize the RT on it, whereas death stranding 2 obviously did, so I think it's more representative of switch2's true level of play.
Very true. As a rule of thumb since SW2 is a current gen device thoroughly and through, with fast storage, mesh shaders and raytracing support, a current gen game will be more representative of its capabilities by default. That doesn't make it any easier to run of course over just porting a game that targeted weaker devices.

While im with you that it's important, I don't value it as much as a clean image first. For me a lower resolution eats up the benefits you get from better material response, but it for sure is a balancing act. And while yeah, retro are good, they also had the limiting factor or "get the game out by the end of switch". Even if switch theoretically could do more... It's their second switch game, presumably taking the remaster as a base. There is only do much they can do.

I would prefere a cleaner look on switch and a switch2 port with better shading.

The comparison of PS3/PS4 I find to stark... But PS3 Vs something in between PS3 and 4 is where I would position it.

I think that's totally fair. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

I think that's totally fair. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
I also always value your technical analysis to such topics. While I may not agree in all aspects (if the improvements are a net benefit for the visuals), I still do rely on your expertise to bring a well informed analysis where the improvements are. :)

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom