• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Why is the reduction there though? It is a curious decision. It appears to me that Microsoft did it mostly so that the Series X had superior specs over the Series S in every way.
I agree. I own a series s and it's extremely silent, the cooling solution can easily handle 0,2 more ghz.

But anyway it doesn't make a real difference.

Only the Wii to Wii U was a generational jump in graphics tech from these instances. Now from that single instance look at:

- Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild.

- Mario Kart Wii to Mario Kart 8.

- Xenoblade Chronicles to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Switch to the next console will also be a full generational leap in graphics technology and we can expect significant improvements just as we saw in the 3 examples above.
I can't wait to see what MonolithSoft does with another generational leap.

What if instead of a TV only switch they released one that's more like the Wii u? It's not exclusively portable, nor is it completely TV only. I know it's not plausible and doesn't really make sense but it's fun to think about

Thanks for the summary 😌

- On the chances of a 2023 release, RGT is at 5%, Josie said 7%, Nate said 0%

- Josie said the transition will be similar from DS --- > 3DS, same form factor but new gimmick that defines the system.

- Nate says form factor will be the same, but says Nintendo will come up with a unique gimmick that differentiates it from the current Switch.

- RGT says the cartridges are problematic as they haven't gotten cheaper, will present a problem for storage sizes with next-gen games not fitting on cartridges. Says previous Nintendo games used to be $40 because the cartridges were cheap. Says if Switch 2 is BC and it has the same cartridge slot, then we will have to download new games because no developer will be able to compress the hell out of their games to fit on the cartridge Or, he says the physical media will change, or that it won't use physical media at all.

- Nate says the question that never comes up in the BC debate is whether Nintendo "wants" us to have BC. Josie immediately said "No, they (Nintendo) want to make money". Nate proposes the notion that Nintendo may only go with digital BC if they use a new cartridge or physical media slot. Says BC may also not be feasible given the technology Nintendo and Nvidia decided to use.

- RGT reminds us that President Furukawa businessman, and that as a businessman he will want to make money, which means that he should make us have to rebuy all of our Nintendo Switch titles with DLSS and other enhancements. Used MK8D as an example. Nate agreed, saying that from a business perspective, Nintendo wants us to buy new games, and the best way to do that is by depriving us access to all of the games we've already invested in. They don't want us playing MK8D, or Smash Ultimate, they want us buying the new versions of those games or premium rereleases of past games.

So if a hardware reveal IS this week (there won't be) what day should we be looking at? I know Fami anniversary is on friday(?) but idk if that really effects much.

Either Wednesday, or Thursday would be my guess.

Realistically, if there is a Direct, it’ll be a Pikmin 4 Direct more than likely.

- Josie said the transition will be similar from DS --- > 3DS, same form factor but new gimmick that defines the system.

- Nate says form factor will be the same, but says Nintendo will come up with a unique gimmick that differentiates it from the current Switch.

- RGT says the cartridges are problematic as they haven't gotten cheaper, will present a problem for storage sizes with next-gen games not fitting on cartridges. Says previous Nintendo games used to be $40 because the cartridges were cheap. Says if Switch 2 is BC and it has the same cartridge slot, then we will have to download new games because no developer will be able to compress the hell out of their games to fit on the cartridge Or, he says the physical media will change, or that it won't use physical media at all.

- Nate says the question that never comes up in the BC debate is whether Nintendo "wants" us to have BC. Josie immediately said "No, they (Nintendo) want to make money". Nate proposes the notion that Nintendo may only go with digital BC if they use a new cartridge or physical media slot. Says BC may also not be feasible given the technology Nintendo and Nvidia decided to use.

- RGT reminds us that President Furukawa businessman, and that as a businessman he will want to make money, which means that he should make us have to rebuy all of our Nintendo Switch titles with DLSS and other enhancements. Used MK8D as an example. Nate agreed, saying that from a business perspective, Nintendo wants us to buy new games, and the best way to do that is by depriving us access to all of the games we've already invested in. They don't want us playing MK8D, or Smash Ultimate, they want us buying the new versions of those games or premium rereleases of past games.
There will be BC but no patches. Games like Pikmin 4 and TOTK will receive full price ports that will include the DLC previously released on Switch.
Previous gen games (mainly Nintendo ones) will run on the Switch 2 just like they did on the Switch, but more stable.
That is my guess.

There will be BC but no patches. Games like Pikmin 4 and TOTK will receive full price ports that will include the DLC previously released on Switch.
Previous gen games (mainly Nintendo ones) will run on the Switch 2 just like they did on the Switch, but more stable.
That is my guess.
Could depend of the launch lineup imo. If it's not that great, next gen patches would be a good way to add some extra value.

Also I think some of the evergreens (like MK 10) will be patched anyway, but probably just a quick HDR/ Res boost (unless they launch with MK 10).

This feels like it came from an alternate universe where the Xbox One didn't fail and didn't basically destroy the entire Xbox brand to the point where it's still an afterthought a decade later.

The risk/benefit math here only checks out if Nintendo is led by extremely stupid people and while possible, you could then just come up with any outlandish idea while assuming a company is very stupid.

And I feel like speculating on "unique gimmick" is kind of weak as people need to give like... any example of what the gimmick could be.

Motion controls and touch controls were being demo'd at trade shows before the DS and Wii. The most popular 3D movie ever made was released before the 3DS. Tablets were huge before the WiiU... I'm not sure what emerging tech could have any use for the Switch 2 right now from a pure hardware perspective that changes gameplay.

RGT reminds us that President Furukawa businessman, and that as a businessman he will want to make money, which means that he should make us have to rebuy all of our Nintendo Switch titles with DLSS and other enhancements. Used MK8D as an example. Nate agreed, saying that from a business perspective, Nintendo wants us to buy new games, and the best way to do that is by depriving us access to all of the games we've already invested in. They don't want us playing MK8D, or Smash Ultimate, they want us buying the new versions of those games or premium rereleases of past games.
As much business sense it would make, I don't really see this happening. My rationale comes from, again, Furukawa and Nintendo's desire for (say it with me folks) that smooth transition between systems and I think BC is a surefire way to ensure that. I can understand the rationale of Nintendo reselling their old games because money, but what about their newer offerings? There are already a bunch of games on the Switch, more than Wii U, but are they gonna go through the effort to port even a fraction of their greatest hits and possibly have that get in the way of their new stuff. Wii U to Switch was fine because not only was the Wii U a failure, it also had a different storage medium for their games; Wii U had discs, Switch has cartridges.

As much business sense it would make, I don't really see this happening. My rationale comes from, again, Furukawa and Nintendo's desire for (say it with me folks) that smooth transition between systems and I think BC is a surefire way to ensure that. I can understand the rationale of Nintendo reselling their old games because money, but what about their newer offerings? There are already a bunch of games on the Switch, more than Wii U, but are they gonna go through the effort to port even a fraction of their greatest hits and possibly have that get in the way of their new stuff. Wii U to Switch was fine because not only was the Wii U a failure, it also had a different storage medium for their games; Wii U had discs, Switch has cartridges.
We literally had Phil Spencer recently on a podcast saying Xbox one was the worst generation to lose, because thats when people started building up their digital libraries.

As someone who only got an uncapped internet connection a little over three years ago, I sincerely hope that this isn't the end for physical media. There are still too many people in regional areas who don't have sufficient internet bandwidth to enable them to collect a digital library. While I already intend to build an entirely digital library with the Switchcessor, I had to rely on physical media when the Switch first came out in 2017.

What if instead of a TV only switch they released one that's more like the Wii u? It's not exclusively portable, nor is it completely TV only. I know it's not plausible and doesn't really make sense but it's fun to think about
Sounds like a more expensive and less versatile version of the Switch. Between the "TV part" and "portable part" you'd have all the parts that make up Switch and a little more for casing and whatever they use to communicate with each other.
I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but LRG is selling some new releases on 32GB cards for $40. Either they've gotten cheaper or LRG has become a charity.
They've sure long acted like a company that "wants" us to have BC even if they have to jump through hoops, though maybe BC killed Furukawa's parents or something so there's been a change.
Like this has ever been a problem. Mario Kart 7 sold fine despite Mario Kart DS existing. Mario Kart 8 sold fine (for a Wii U game) despite Mario Kart Wii existing. Shit, maybe they'll kill the NSO libraries so that we don't all keep playing Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, and Mario Kart Advance.

Josie immediately said "No, they (Nintendo) want to make money". [...]

This is remarkably wrong and shallow. If it were as simple as "get everybody to rebuy everything all the time and make more money," backwards compatibility in gaming hardware wouldn't exist at all. There has never been a time in history where gaming hardware existed for any purpose but to make money. "Furukawa is a businessman" is a bizarrely childish thing to say, either a pointlessly obvious observation, or an implication that the strategy of Nintendo's hardware and software business had ever been decided by people who weren't businessmen, and that something is different now, which is obviously not true.

I feel kind of insane having to type this out, but backwards compatibility is a way of making money, in the same way that any other attractive facet of Nintendo's hardware-software offering is a way of making money. I don't want to spend too much time litigating something I feel is self-evident Selling Things To People 101, but to scratch the surface of the ways in which the above argument is not just wrong but backwards:
  • To make money selling new hardware, Nintendo needs to convince people to buy it first.
  • To make money selling new games, Nintendo also needs to convince people to buy the new hardware first.
  • Backwards compatibility is an attractive feature which can help convince people to buy new hardware.
    • Owners of the previous hardware are able to keep playing games they already own and like, which can help convince them to buy the new hardware.
    • For people who haven't bought certain titles, or didn't own the previous hardware, having a large library of popular games can convince them to buy the new hardware.
  • Anyone who buys a backwards compatible title to play on the new hardware makes Nintendo money with no need to develop an additional version of the game.
    • Many popular titles are outside of Nintendo's control and they couldn't unilaterally release a new hardware exclusive version even if they wanted to.
  • Backwards compatibility of titles like Splatoon keeps the online community active, which keeps the game relevant, which keeps people buying it and making Nintendo money.
And there are costs, both in terms of development time and expense as well as backlash and negative coverage, to omitting BC in favor of selling new versions of games. Blithely saying "Nintendo doesn't want us to have BC because they'd make more money reselling every game" is a claim that you should have to justify with market research, because based on the history of all the times Nintendo opted for BC instead of reselling games, Nintendo seems to believe the opposite is true (to say nothing of their competitors doing the same). You might as well say something like "Nintendo doesn't want to use a 720p OLED screen" and tell us that Furukawa is a businessman and Nintendo is business and that means the new hardware will reuse the 3DS's bottom screen.

BC is easier and cheaper than the alternative. “They want to make more money” by printing NS2 versions of every Switch game concurrently? How do they expect people to make use of their expansion pass DLC going forward? Is it cheaper and more efficient to make patches for every game? Did Iwata lie when he said they wanted to avoid starting over each gen? Did he make a mistake when he approved TX1 for Switch and forget when he made that statement later?

No BC is more expensive and more resource intensive than implementing an emulation/translation layer. Maybe the next podcast that discusses this can bring in an expert on these kinds of things to provide insight on why it is actually possible. After all, if the Steam Deck can emulate an entire Switch, are we really supposed to believe that the entire dev team at Nvidia and Nintendo are incapable of a solution? Especially since quite a few games (SMG, Skyward Sword) already implement such a solution (native/ported CPU + emulated GPU).

I made a summary on my website for Brazilian readers regarding all the recently published rumors around the web based on last few pages of discussions here

Besides my own info, there's no links to posts from fwd, Nate or else, but Mods feel free to reach me if any policy was been broken on my report please. I don't want any click or something like this, my purpose is only inform the BR comunity

First time poster but have been lurking for a time :0 Question I'm wondering people's thoughts on, it's not directly about the hardware, but about some of the discussion of launch titles/heavy hitters that will help move console units. Kinda long so TLDR:
If Zelda isn't open world for much longer, how would it continue, and how would nintendo continue with open world games? My personal wish being have Monolith Soft (Xenoblade developers and main helping hands on Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom) make a new IP alongside nintendo to hold onto that side of the market, an action rpg open world game with a lot of juicy story and mass market appeal.

Zelda's new formula of open world games have been hugely successful for the Zelda franchise and for the Switch no doubt. Almost every big triple AAA game in modern times have been in an open world nature, games that combine huge production quality with big worlds, cutscenes, voice acting, cinematic narrative, and appealing settings. Witcher 3, GTA, Cyperpunk, Elden Ring have mass market appeal with these elements, and the latest Zelda games have been an entry into this market for Nintendo I feel. With that some people here have been wondering about future Zelda games, maybe an Ocarina of Time remake for the future, or more open world Zelda games.
The question is if Nintendo will even continue with the open world Zelda formula? Since there's also demand for how classic more linear 3D Zelda games are played and Nintendo developers would probably only care to revisit the open world formula so many times before they want to try something fresh and new. Would the franchise be able to capture the same appeal with that, and could they create a new IP to facilitate open world games for the future if Zelda continued with something else?

I have my own dumb wishes that people will probably raise their eyebrows to, but I think if they decided to continue open world games like Zelda they could leave it in the hands of Monolith Soft with a new IP (the creators of Xenoblade and one of the main helping hands behind the latest Zelda successes). They'd need to slap a Nintendo logo on it first and foremost though if they want it to have more chance to succeed lol.
Monolith Soft has been an instrumental subsidiaries of Nintendo for the past decade, helping with the development of massive hits like Splatoon, Animal Crossing New Horizons, and most importantly Zelda Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. They have a ton of talented people working at Monolith Soft that gets asked to work on big Nintendo titles continuously.
Their Xenoblade titles have helped them master and become experts in creating big open world designs, high production cutscenes and storytelling. The complete opposite of what Nintendo would want to make a decade ago but here we are with Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom.
The Xenoblade series has been growing steadily ever since but the biggest hurdle that keeps the series from exploding in popularity just yet is that it isn't shy from exploring its own niche of JRPG gameplay, it's relatively new in the public eye (even though the series dates back to Xenogears on the PS1) and dont have the marketing power and recognition of IPs like Zelda and Final Fantasy, and Monolith Soft's name isn't as well known and consumers dont have much interests in games with their name on it alone, something that Nintendo has and helped Splatoon become such a smash hit. So with that in mind, I'd be very interested to see how big a new open world IP of theirs could be if Nintendo gave them their blessing and co-created it. I imagine it could be just as appealing as games like the Witcher 3 and Elden Ring if they really tried.
If Zelda doesn't continue being open world that leaves a void for the Switch 2 and future Nintendo consoles. It'd be a big bet and a huge risk, but with Nintendo's name on it and a big push I could see it becoming a new IP that can be just as big as Splatoon (one of Nintendo's newest golden goose that cements their take on online shooters). But that's just my wishes :]

Also imagine if an Ocarina of Time remake, instead of being open world was like all these newest story driven cinematic games instead lmao, i dont think it'd fit Zelda personally and i dont think Nintendo has the balls to try shaking up Zelda that much without it being held back. So yeah I just want to see new Nintendo IPs instead of them being held back in other areas, sorry but Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom dont have good stories B)

If anyone wants to put together a list of CES 2023, CES 2020, or gimmick PC accessory tech that has any possible application to gaming, that would be nice.

Because eye tracking is like literally the only gimmick I can think of for the Switch 2 and I imagine that would be used to improve graphics instead of gameplay.

I also refuse to believe Nintendo will do just digital BC. That's still telling your audience HALF of all your purchases are dead weight, and I doubt Nintendo is going to be the first to embrace physical -> digital license transfers. For the storage issue, I can maybe see Nintendo doing some sort of combo of UMDs and PS4 disc-installs exclusively for next-gen while keeping a cartridge slot for legacy purchases - it has some precedence with the DS supporting its own carts as well as GBA ones, but those media are obviously more alike than carts and discs.

Oh yeah, and one other thing that should really be obvious, and has in fact already happened multiple times before: Nintendo can sell new versions of games on systems that have backwards compatibility with the previous versions of those games! They can do both at the same time! Twilight Princess HD was sold for $60 to Wii U owners who could have just popped in a Wii disc of Twilight Princess and played that if they felt like it, and it still managed to sell over a million copies.

I'm not even going to touch on the question of sequels/follow-ups and the notion that Nintendo doesn't want even those coexisting with prior entries, because, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Famicom being nearly forty blew my mind as well. The Super Famicom is only thirty-three in November.

Oh yeah, and one other thing that should really be obvious, and has in fact already happened multiple times before: Nintendo can sell new versions of games on systems that have backwards compatibility with the previous versions of those games! They can do both at the same time! Twilight Princess HD was sold for $60 to Wii U owners who could have just popped in a Wii disc of Twilight Princess and played that if they felt like it, and it still managed to sell over a million copies.

I'm not even going to touch on the question of sequels/follow-ups and the notion that Nintendo doesn't want even those coexisting with prior entries, because, lol.
Well, TPHD didn't use the Wii remotes, and I'm sure many liked that. But something like the remake of Bowser's Inside Story on the 3DS didn't do well at all.

- RGT reminds us that President Furukawa businessman, and that as a businessman he will want to make money, which means that he should make us have to rebuy all of our Nintendo Switch titles with DLSS and other enhancements.

I'm sure there are business people who will make that argument but it's also a very simplistic one. Doing something that looks so nakedly self-servicing at the expense of your customers is something that carries the business risk of your customers telling you to fuck off.

Used MK8D as an example.

This ignores the differences between the situations. The WiiU ports were less about selling games to people again than about giving the games a second chance to have an actual audience that extended beyond Gollum, the Phantom of the Opera, Quasimodo and that Cardassian that killed Kira's resistance friends.

The clean break with Switch was the company rebooting itself. That would not be the case here.

Nate agreed, saying that from a business perspective, Nintendo wants us to buy new games, and the best way to do that is by depriving us access to all of the games we've already invested in.
I know jokes about ninjas and all that, but Nintendo isn't going to send out hit squads to smash all our Switches once they launch Switch 2. They're not depriving us of anything. They'd just be giving us more reason to keep playing Switch rather than move on to Switch 2.

I don't think Nintendo cares whether you buy new games or old games as long as you're buying games, and BC ensures that the Switch 2 has a gargantuan legacy library available to every user on day one.

Imagine thinking anyone with business sense would think it's a good idea accrue 120+ million customers over 6 years and then cross their fingers that they'll all happily start over entirely with a new platform

Nah, this week is the 40th anniversary of the Famicom and Nintendo has announced new hardware every other July since the Lite. I'm kinda 40-60 on this week, personally speaking.
Or they will announce the new Switch with a focus in how it resemble to Famicom or they will announce a new Famicom mini with even more games.

I can imagine more the last one.

As much as people diss Furukawa it seems literally everyone forgets he was part of Nintendo since the 90s and has seen pretty much all of Nintendo's up and downs in their gaming endavors and has I believe very much an idea of what Nintendo is about by then, so I wouldn't want to reduce him like that.

There seemed to be a bit more reasoning, or at least justification, in the idea that it would be used as marketing to increase mindshare of Nintendo's IP and point to their console games, which I appreciate how that probably isn't quite what the investors had in mind. I'm not sure how effective this ended up being, but they're also expanding this effort in other ways (such as movies).
That was the reasoning after they were pressured. It could have worked but the execution of the strategy was wrong. I don’t think they were entirely serious about making it a pillar of their company; it shows both in their body of work & just dipping once they found success.
I've just always assumed it's because it makes a pretty meaningless number if $70 Tears of the Kingdom and $0.60 Henry the Hamster Handler have an equal impact. So they keep measuring the same kind of titles they did on all previous systems. Not a perfect system, definitely, since some of those premium titles also exist as digital-only now.

Tell that to the GBASP.
I mean there is quality digital only stuff there as well, before now, so it would have been nice including it even if you did get Henry the Hamster accounted for. Otherwise it could very well be just that.

I'm not sure what discourse you mean other than a natural response to what some people are saying about BC not being possible
But no one has said it isn't possible.

The discourse isn't going to die down until prominent voices stop spreading FUD about BC.

What FUD? There's no firm position either side can take at the moment. It's all opinion, speculation or presenting potential scenarios as any number of reasons/things could occur.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom