• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

About Clocks and teraflops, it all depends on what Node they will use
Not entirely. There are certain absolute minimums. 8nm isn't the trainwreck people make it out to be.

That said, I expect 5nm. Sampled at the same time as 5nm products, an architecture newer than any Nvidia product on anything bigger than 5nm. It's also a portable device so small SOC size and low power draw are extremely important.

The more important aspect of the Khu tweet is him confirming the Tera form information is legitimate, which is a pretty notable blow to the idea that the 4chan person was just someone who saw the Presents early

They should call it Nintendo Swing and have commercials show young couples playing Mario Kart and switching teams.

Instant success!
Show JoyCon parties where everyone drops their JoyCon in a fishbowl and people who draw matching pairs have to play 99 stock 1v1 Final Destination.

A few weeks after finally beating MPR i think i can finally admit that yeah Luigi's Mansion 3 still looks better:

From the heavy weights objects physics.
The amazing lighting and shadows (whereas MPR is pure baked textures goodness)
The brilliant animation (not to mention MP1 is by far the worst of the trilogy in this regard too)

what’d he say
karmitt was kind enough to transcribe the relevant bits.
@Grubb quote (minor edits):
It’s still on the table that we get something Switch, not Pro, maybe even not necessarily Switch 2, maybe something in between that that is definitely an actually upgrade in terms of hardware, but in terms of the way that Nintendo positions it, it feels like they could try to straddle the line a little bit and do like a Super Switch that continues the generation, in a way that is more significant than the Game Boy Color - but even more significant than that.

And the thinking there clearly is, they have Nintendo Switch Online, they have a lot of subscribers, they have a lot of people that are spending a lot of money buying video games, and they don't want to disrupt or lose any of that momentum, cause all of the other companies have figured out how to maintain it.

The bolded is all he's said. And it's been said in here countless times before.

Using the Super Switch or Game Boy Color example was a mistake, because Super Nintendo was as clear as generations get, and Game Boy Color is vastly underselling the proposed hardware. Whatever.
In my opinion, Jeff Grubb didn't really say anything significant.

The ride never ends. When Switch _____ is eventually announced and it has the specs and feature-set that we in this thread were expecting since March of last year including DLSS, BC, etc. I'm expecting to hear a lot of "Wow, never would have expected this from Nintendo, but they'll still find a way to fuck up" &c &c. Not even like what we're expecting is pie in the sky, Nintendo using Orin for Switch 2 is parallel to them using Erisa in 2016 but with the advantages of customization and progress of mobile tech.

200w.gif
The cynicism does get really old after a while. Nintendo's current president is the most conservative one they've had since entering the games industry. He won't try to fix what clearly ain't broken.

what’d he say

The gist of it was that he thinks the successor might not be a Pro (never was going to be anyways at this stage) or be a Switch 2 but something in-between to continue the Switch family.

I take it as a nothingburger to say the least, for all we know about it, it is a Switch 2 performance wise. I don't care much about how Nintendo decides to market it as being part of the Switch family as that is what Switch 2 is anyways just like PS every gen is part of the PlayStation family.

I think he's complicating it unnecessarily and overthinking it. It is a successor to the same console and is part of the same family. For all intents and purposes it is still a Switch 2 and Nintendo can call it anything else (I expect them to as they never that simple with their console names) but it is still the same thing.

For what it's worth, in 2021 Nate mentioned he had heard the name Super Switch.
Calling it Super Switch or Super Nintendo Switch would be just perfect. It handily conveys to casual audiences that "this is a successor" while also hitting old farts like me in the nostalgia bone. It's a win-win.

The cynicism does get really old after a while. Nintendo's current president is the most conservative one they've had since entering the games industry. He won't try to fix what clearly ain't broken.

And that is perfectly fine. Nintendo doesn't need to reinvent the wheel every gen and I'd prefer it if they sort of stopped doing that. They have achieved peak design philosophy with combining both handheld and home console markets into one console. It's a fantastic console and you honestly do not need to change much to perfect it. The only things I could think of is adding an accessory for VR support in the event Nintendo want to dabble in proper VR experiences.

Besides that, just keep working on making each Switch more powerful than the last, refine joycons and screen resolution each iteration, that's it.

I think Nintendo, through all their efforts, have reached the console that combines every aspect of their previous gens and refines them. It has touch screen support, motion controls, dual screens, handheld, TV support, gyro, all in one system. It gives players the freedom to treat it as a handheld or a home console and it is amazing for it.

I am happy with Nintendo sticking with Switch like Sony sticks with Playstation for the foreseeable future. I don't see how it gets any better than this.

And that is perfectly fine. Nintendo doesn't need to reinvent the wheel every gen and I'd prefer it if they sort of stopped doing that. They have achieved peak design philosophy with combining both handheld and home console markets into one console. It's a fantastic console and you honestly do not need to change much to perfect it. The only things I could think of is adding an accessory for VR support in the event Nintendo want to dabble in proper VR experiences.

Besides that, just keep working on making each Switch more powerful than the last, refine joycons and screen resolution each iteration, that's it.

I think Nintendo, through all their efforts, have reached the console that combines every aspect of their previous gens and refines them. It has touch screen support, motion controls, dual screens, handheld, TV support, gyro, all in one system. It gives players the freedom to treat it as a handheld or a home console and it is amazing for it.

I am happy with Nintendo sticking with Switch like Sony sticks with Playstation for the foreseeable future. I don't see how it gets any better than this.
Yeah, I would prefer that Nintendo just stick with the Switch family for at least 2 more gens. They don't need to introduce some wild gimmick to every new system they put out. Nintendo's erstwhile need to constantly innovate really harmed the Wii U, imo.

Yeah, I would prefer that Nintendo just stick with the Switch family for at least 2 more gens. They don't need to introduce some wild gimmick to every new system they put out. Nintendo's erstwhile need to constantly innovate really harmed the Wii U, imo.

Honestly in hindsight the Wii U just felt like a prototype of the Switch. You could see the ideas there but they hadn't fully fleshed it out or refined it in the way Switch inevitably did. Wii U had to fall so that Switch could fly high into the sky and stay there.

The way the branding works they can add whatever they want and it'd still be called a Switch. Games supporting dual screens through wireless streaming? New Switch mode. Dual screens / portrait mode by flipping the Switch tablet 90 degrees? Another mode. Additional VR/AR modes through headsets and cameras? Yet another. They already did this with Labo VR and Mario Kart Live. An IR camera on the tablet that tracks full-body movements while you play a fitness game with joy-con? Yet another feature for docked/tabletop mode. The platform is permissive of whatever new features they want without abandoning the core appeal or alienating a specific audience.

I want Nintendo to stick with iterative, backwards compatible upgrades for at least a few gens. Build the biggest and best Nintendo library ever, if not the biggest and best library period.

I salivate just thinking about it.

Honestly in hindsight the Wii U just felt like a prototype of the Switch. You could see the ideas there but they hadn't fully fleshed it out or refined it in the way Switch inevitably did. Wii U had to fall so that Switch could fly high into the sky and stay there.

they really cant afford to take big risks with their next platforms since they got no other system/sources of revenue to fall back on if it fails. The consolidation of the home/handheld console development made sure of that

I want Nintendo to stick with iterative, backwards compatible upgrades for at least a few gens. Build the biggest and best Nintendo library ever, if not the biggest and best library period.

I salivate just thinking about it.
Historically they've been pretty good about it if you think about it: GB-GBC-GBA, DS-DSi-3DS-n3DS, GC-Wii-Wii U. Their big problem was just relying on hardware to do BC, which led to eventual dead ends and most noticeably hamstrung hardware choices like with the Wii U. They never really established a software base/OS as a foundation that can continue on until the Switch (although I think technically it has its roots from the 3DS days?). Hopefully it'll let them have more compatibility flexibility like what MS has been able to pull off.

This is repeated a lot, and I disagree. For me, the WiiU is mostly Nintendo trying to capitalize on the double screen success of the DS and translate it with a home console. You still get the double screen possibilities, and you get on top of that the asymmetric multiplayer gameplay which is cool on paper (and with Nintendo land).

The switch concept is much more straightforward: a portable console which you can hook to your TV. Everybody's been wanting to do that since the first Gameboy. And since Nintendo has the possibility to make it relatively powerful, they did.

they really cant afford to take big risks with their next platforms since they got no other system/sources of revenue to fall back on if it fails. The consolidation of the home/handheld console development made sure of that
Mobile, movies and theme parks would like a word

Just because they don’t call it Switch 2 doesn’t mean it won’t be a big leap in tech/will not get any exclusive games. It’s just a name and a way to position the device in the market along with Switch at the end of the day

[REDACTED] is useful shorthand and the closest thing to an official name we have, given that's the actual term used to refer to it in legal documentation 😛

Can't believe I started a Famiboard meme, I barely post... Outside this thread.
It really isn't useful shorthanded. It's not even shorthanded. It's a stupid trend here that went out of hand.

The way I see it is simple: Switch is the DS, Drake will be the 3DS. Same basic concept (clamshell, two screens, touchscreen) with some new stuff (gyro, 3D, circle pad), and, obviously, more raw power.

And lads I gotta say, I really liked my 3DS.
So it's gonna flop like the 3DS too then. In other words, they're gonna price it too high at launch. 🤔. That actually wouldn't surprise me if they they did go above $400 considering how they are pricing their games (especially Wii and Wii u ports), and not giving Perma price drops on their consoles (yet).
what would be the codename?
[Redacted] at this point.

They'll want to show 2 things about the new switch :
  • The leap in power won't be explained by specs number, but rather at least a big game that wasn't possible on switch and that Nintendo will highlight at presentation : what skyrim did at switch launch. I like to think Nintendo will insist and give money to have an elden ring to display.
  • one might expect some "gimmick" that will be overexposed to show the system is New. It can be anything, from an AI assistant to some funky sensors we have no idea. One can expect at least a Nintendo game build around that twist for launch (and maybe it will be the first and the last)

Does any kind of main 'gimmick' have to be a prerequisite for a Nintendo console? The GBA was sold as a more powerful Game Boy with extra inputs, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo would have continued making 'powerful Game Boys' with various extra cute features if the PSP didn't show up. Nintendo is the only proper hybrid console maker and the Switch is already modular enough to support experimental hardware like Ring Fit. They might add another sensor or two to support said unique games, a camera or a microphone there, but that's just another bullet point. I think people are already more likely to buy multiple handheld devices than multiple stationary boxes, and 'better Switch with 4K output, new Mario Kart and cameras' sounds appealing on a store shelf.
EPD employees don't agree. There will be the "gimmick" whatever that is that will be something new and unique, if people are only expecting Switch but with better specs they are so wrong.

EPD employees don't agree. There will be the "gimmick" whatever that is that will be something new and unique, if people are only expecting Switch but with better specs they are so wrong.

This is what worries me which is why I'm hoping only VR/AR is the main gimmick and nothing else changes. I don't mind VR, I have a PSVR 2 (which is great btw) and I think there's absolutely untapped potential Nintendo I believe would be interested in their approach to game development that I would love to see (Metroid Prime ports, a 3D Mario similar to Astro Bot Rescue Mission, dare I say a First Person Zelda?)

As long as the gimmick does not interfere with the hardware design itself to the point where BC is difficult across future consoles, we're alright. The issue with Nintendo is changing their hardware to the point where redesigns are needed to exclusives in order to allow them to be backwards compatible. Nobody wants to constantly rebuy their entire library because of total hardware changes making BC near impossible to continue generation to generation.

Xbox and PlayStation have solved this issue, Nintendo seriously does need to do the same. We cannot keep redoing Virtual Console in different ways and rebuying game libraries, it doesn't hold up in 2023 at all, gamers want consistency and to carry their libraries over every gen, they have to make that work now, especially with NSO being something they wish to keep integrated each gen now.

They can't make wild gimmicks and alterations anymore unless they are going to be accessories and add-ons to the main console.

This is what worries me which is why I'm hoping only VR/AR is the main gimmick and nothing else changes. I don't mind VR, I have a PSVR 2 (which is great btw) and I think there's absolutely untapped potential Nintendo I believe would be interested in their approach to game development that I would love to see (Metroid Prime ports, a 3D Mario similar to Astro Bot Rescue Mission, dare I say a First Person Zelda?)

As long as the gimmick does not interfere with the hardware design itself to the point where BC is difficult across future consoles, we're alright. The issue with Nintendo is changing their hardware to the point where redesigns are needed to exclusives in order to allow them to be backwards compatible. Nobody wants to constantly rebuy their entire library because of total hardware changes making BC near impossible to continue generation to generation.

Xbox and PlayStation have solved this issue, Nintendo seriously does need to do the same. We cannot keep redoing Virtual Console in different ways and rebuying game libraries, it doesn't hold up in 2023 at all, gamers want consistency and to carry their libraries over every gen, they have to make that work now, especially with NSO being something they wish to keep integrated each gen now.

They can't make wild gimmicks and alterations anymore unless they are going to be accessories and add-ons to the main console.
I don't think Nintendo is ready for VR just yet and VR isn't that much for mass market as some people believe. I also can't imagine their teams developing full fledged VR games just yet when their biggest productions are just taking more and more and that's just a normal 3D games.
As for the gimmick, I think this will be the same situation like with 3DS, it's the DS and better but the "gimmick" was the 3D display. The posibillities are endless and the main Switch form-factor will still be the same. Something controller accesibility related as Miyamoto/Shiota hinted 4 years prior, scrolling shoulder buttons as in the previous patents, haptic analog sticks, eye tracking capabilities. These are just few small examples from my head, the PTD employees who are doing this stuff everyday can come up with even wider stuff.

image.png

image.png

karmitt was kind enough to transcribe the relevant bits.

In my opinion, Jeff Grubb didn't really say anything significant.
Of course he did. He promised to neber ever talk about a Nintendo rumor without checking sources because of the Zelda WWTP mess.

Actually he is telling that these games exists and are finished and just waiting for a release.

Only the mess with the September direct was a mistake, everything else is correct according to him.

Regarding the prospect of back-catalogue games being patched for Drake, I’d think that any savvy publishers familiar with Steam or mobile stores would be pushing out patches, at the very least for those titles which they want to keep selling. As Valve puts it: “Updates have organic benefits in terms of attracting new players and keeping an existing audience engaged“. Apple also advises that: “Regular app updates can help you stay competitive on the App Store, as each new release is an opportunity to reengage existing users and attract new users”.
I’d like to add a couple of case studies to demonstrate the benefits of game updates for the developers.

Golf Peaks
(iOS store, number of sales; source)
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F55b2148e-2e55-4491-9754-0bbd75813171_1423x537.png

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
(All stores, gross revenue; source)
SalesReport_1_FirstYear-1.png
SalesReport_2_SecondYear.png
SalesReport_3_Year3to5.png

As the charts illustrate, version/feature updates is one of the levers available to the publishers to stimulate game sales. Even porting to another platform (which a new gen kind of is) can do wonders for sales on the original platform (previous gen). The press and storefront highlights generated from the updates and ports further augment the positive effects.

These case studies suggest that patching games for Drake potentially can increase ROI, and we may see a robust number of legacy titles being patched.

"Pay us and we'll do it"
pretty much, but i would argue, by now they are on nintendos internal level in regards to proficiency with the Switch hardware.
From a tech perspective Nier Atomata is one of the best ports i have seen,
what it looses in foliage density it gains in sharpness (i know, reconstructed, but the image is great). Feels more like a sidegrade to the PS4 version, and not as if im loosing anything.

I’d like to add a couple of case studies to demonstrate the benefits of game updates for the developers.

Golf Peaks
(iOS store, number of sales; source)
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F55b2148e-2e55-4491-9754-0bbd75813171_1423x537.png

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
(All stores, gross revenue; source)
SalesReport_1_FirstYear-1.png
SalesReport_2_SecondYear.png
SalesReport_3_Year3to5.png

As the charts illustrate, version/feature updates is one of the levers available to the publishers to stimulate game sales. Even porting to another platform (which a new gen kind of is) can do wonders for sales on the original platform (previous gen). The press and storefront highlights generated from the updates and ports further augment the positive effects.

These case studies suggest that patching games for Drake potentially can increase ROI, and we may see a robust number of legacy titles being patched.
And nintendo demonstrated that they know the effect already by trying to have consecutive small scale free updates for all their games.
Its another chance to advertise the game, get it in the news cycle, and get eyes on it that might have missed it on the first round.
There is a limit to it. But then again, the scale of the update can have an influence.

a 4k patch can advertiser the new switch, the game, and its sequel if there is one announced.
Look at it similar to the anouncement of TPHD back on Wii U, with the clip of BotW after that, just that the patch would be way cheaper to make then the Port back then.

do you guys think we going to get a codename or they simply going to just announce the device?

They’ll announce a ‘special presentation on the future of Nintendo Switch’ a week in advance of the reveal. The presentation will show off the new hardware in full.

So most likely switch 2 will be use same OS as Switch 1, this probably means it will be again only 1GB Ram for OS
doesn't have to be, could as well increase it so that it can support more features (game streaming?), but does it actually use 1GB curently? i thought it was something between 500 and 800mb?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom