• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Friends... I have nothing technically useful to add to this conversation.

I just wanted to let you know that it has been a great ride. We are near the end of this ordeal, and I had a great time reading all of you.

There's no fucking way this thing releases without gyro or Joy-Cons. Nintendo can be weird, but they're not completely stupid.

There's no weight to the no joy cons idea... datamining, import data, and common sense all contest this. No joy cons and for Pete's sake, no gyro are just speculation from podcasts. Might as well discuss if there will still be a screen or not. After all some people don't use handheld mode, and not having a screen could improve thermals. And imagine the battery life when there's no image to display!

Friends... I have nothing technically useful to add to this conversation.

I just wanted to let you know that it has been a great ride. We are near the end of this ordeal, and I had a great time reading all of you.
We still have more to discuss. Once we see it, I think we will ask more questions than what we get in answers.

There's no weight to the no joy cons idea... datamining, import data, and common sense all contest this. No joy cons and for Pete's sake, no gyro are just speculation from podcasts. Might as well discuss if there will still be a screen or not. After all some people don't use handheld mode, and not having a screen will make thermals easier. And imagine the battery life when there's no image to display!
No screen and its handheld only.

ertaboy356b said:
I search 'Drake', I get a different reveal photo lmao.

Roughly the same dimensions though.

The Wii U wasn't stupid outside of the marketing. Getting rid of core features the previous console had would be awful. It completely misses the point of a sequel system to begin with.

I'm currently playing 80% tabletop 20% handheld. If they effectively get rid of tabletop mode by making it an upcharge I will be mega pissed. And if they get rid of gyro I will be even angrier.

There's no weight to the no joy cons idea... datamining, import data, and common sense all contest this. No joy cons and for Pete's sake, no gyro are just speculation from podcasts. Might as well discuss if there will still be a screen or not. After all some people don't use handheld mode, and not having a screen could improve thermals. And imagine the battery life when there's no image to display!
4 days before reveal:

Switch 2 will come with no RAM

Having more units isn't going to help since no matter how many units they have in stock the real bottleneck is the speed at which how much of them they can distribuite to the world.
The one thing that they can do to satisfy better the demand is split the hardcore crowd from the holiday crowd by releasing it in September.

Not to mention that they'll just, like... start making money earlier.

Famiboards…

Over the last weeks I’ve taken all information with regards to the Switch 2 and fed it into the YolkFolk super computer in the YolkFolk cave.

I’ve asked for it to reveal exactly what the final Switch 2 will look like with no Joy Cons, a bulkier look & feel, better sticks & buttons and a camera.

Here is the result:

NEORtlxUndoPFMvd.medium
Somehow, Palpatine returned.

Button size: Possibly, but split design doesn't mean you can't make bigger buttons

Battery: The actual size of the battery doesn't need to be so large that it spans the entire Switch. Could they do that? Sure, but most gaming handhelds don't need that type of design: The Lenovo Legion Pro, Switch+OLED, Steam Deck+OLED, and the AYANEO Air Pro all have batteries that fit within the screen and don't go anywhere near the actual controls/controllers(wish I could upload pictures but my links aren't working)

Tolerances on the Screen: I assume you're referring to the size of the screen, which isn't necessarily that much of a problem, since the Lenovo Legion Pro has a whopping 8.8 inch screen with detachable controllers and it gets great reviews.

Also, the joy con probably lower the tolerance on the screen and body since they basically act as giant bumpers. Being detachable even make them easily replaceable and much better at absorbing shocks than if they were one piece with the body.

He’s going to get progressively more and more realistic after each new console reveal
β€œBe among the first to discover the fourth generation of #NintendoSwitch. Watch the Preview Trailer Oct 18, 2040 at 7am PT/10am ET!”

And it’s this Mario peeking from behind the curtains
d7l4pvx-e9440c3d-a9d0-4c43-8044-df4013d37ce6.gif

4 days before reveal:

Switch 2 will come with no RAM
"I think the Switch 2 will not have rumble. I think this makes sense for Nintendo, the Switch Lite did not have rumble after all. Some games don't use it and I don't feel it anyway since my hands decomposed seven years ago. I don't hear anyone talking about rumble. Removing it would let Nintendo improve the cooling, and they're probably concerned about battery life."

This thread for 20 pages:
"I hope this isn't true. I know it's Nintendo but surely not."
"I turn off rumble in games anyway, so it's no big deal."
"I'm a rumble hater, but I think it should be there. It's standardized and would be a regression."
"Maybe the devkits don't have rumble, they could be using a Wii Classic Controller Pro."
"I think Nintendo could do what they did in the past and sell a Rumble Pak as a separate accessory. That way there's the option to buy rumble if you really want it."
"Uhhhh Nintendo sold a Switch without rumble, it's called a Switch Lite. It's no big deal, they can shift away from rumble in their controllers."
"Just use Switch 1 joy cons, everyone has those."

🫠

At least it has games i hope?
Nintendo is concerned about battery. Since running games consumes energy, the Switch 2 will have no games. Please understand.

We have pretty good reason to believe that the console has a new split controller, which is more likely than not in a similar form factor to the Joy-Cons.

The firmware has some support (part of which was added pretty recently) for a mysterious controller codenamed "fifty" which has left and right versions just like Joy-Cons. We can't conclusively tell what form "fifty" will take, but a next gen version of Joy-Cons that is adapted to the shape of the new device and probably picked up a new feature or two seems like a pretty logical guess.
c85.jpg

Nintendo is concerned about themes, so in Switch 2 they will remove the Basic Black theme. Only one theme will be offered to save battery life.

(These β€˜speculations’ are so much fun. Thanks DF)

I don't know that Nate wasn't trolling. I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

At least on his latest NateTheHate podcast to me it was more of a speculative discussion. I would be very surprised if they did ditch joycon because of our anecdotal experiences.

Last edited:
"I think the Switch 2 will not have rumble. I think this makes sense for Nintendo, the Switch Lite did not have rumble after all. Some games don't use it and I don't feel it anyway since my hands decomposed seven years ago. I don't hear anyone talking about rumble. Removing it would let Nintendo improve the cooling, and they're probably concerned about battery life."

This thread for 20 pages:
"I hope this isn't true. I know it's Nintendo but surely not."
"I turn off rumble in games anyway, so it's no big deal."
"I'm a rumble hater, but I think it should be there. It's standardized and would be a regression."
"Maybe the devkits don't have rumble, they could be using a Wii Classic Controller Pro."
"I think Nintendo could do what they did in the past and sell a Rumble Pak as a separate accessory. That way there's the option to buy rumble if you really want it."
"Uhhhh Nintendo sold a Switch without rumble, it's called a Switch Lite. It's no big deal, they can shift away from rumble in their controllers."
"Just use Switch 1 joy cons, everyone has those."

🫠
Don't forget the five paragraph breakdown of why they wouldn't and can't remove it backed up by evidence posted in the thread, which gets replied to with even more evidence...

That people just ignore.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

I'm not mad! I swear I'm not ma-🌽

I know, plenty of people read and Yeah! them, this is a joke don't pop me like the corncob I am.

The Wii U wasn't stupid outside of the marketing.

I love my Wii U but its problems were not marketing. I mean, the marketing didn't help, but that is besides the point.

The idea of having a two screen system does not work when the other screen is a TV. With the DS and 3DS you could always see both screens at the same time, which made it easy to do fun, interesting, and helpful things with the second screen. But that doesn't apply to the Wii U where, to see the second screen, you had look down and away from the TV. The concept as a whole doesn't work.

And there were other issues too, like how much cost the gamepad added to the system. And the fact that Nintendo could never really decide if the gamepad screen should have some unique core feature to a game (which meant it couldn't be played with just the gamepad), or to have the gamepad just be a way to play your games without a TV(which meant the gamepad screen couldn't have a feature core to the game).

So yeah, even with good marketing the Wii U would not have done much better.

The controller is the console. You use your imagination for the next 3D Mario.
It's dual screen, you remove the top part which has all the important component and the bottom part becomes you controller. It's a Wii U overclocked to perfection. Now you can port DS and 3DS games with ease.

Don't forget the five paragraph breakdown of why they wouldn't and can't remove it backed up by evidence posted in the thread, which gets replied to with even more evidence...
Brandolini's Law:
The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than that needed to produce it.

This has been a very exciting day for me to catch up on right before going to bed. I will dream of March.

The thing’s coming with a TX1+ at that, just like v2/Lite/OLED, except Nintendo has VERY generously let it run at max clock speeds πŸ€‘

Last edited:
A 0p display at no FPS would be enable the Switch 2 to also run games at much higher settings than the PS5 and Series X do. Don't worry about image quality, DLSS super resolution will upscale that blank image all way up to 4K on your TV and frame generation will turn it into a buttery 120 fps experience.

How can you assert that joycon drift isn’t because they designed a joystick to fit into much smaller enclosure?

You know this for a fact?
Not only do I know it for a fact, you know it for fact too, since it's merely common sense. We have similarly small enclosures that lack that problem, and we have significantly larger input devices that share the problem.
You do not know it for a fact, as you are, I'm afraid, incorrect. Just because two devices have similar problems doesn't mean that those problems have the same causes - any more than having a fever means you can only have the flu, and not some other viral infection.

Sticks are always and will always be at least partially mechanical. Moving parts can fail. Failures will cause false inputs. False inputs will cause drift. That doesn't mean the failures will be always the same, or equally likely. Joy-con drift is much more common than drift in other devices, because the device is very thin. That's not controversial, it's pretty obvious once you've disassembled one.

Most sticks nowadays use potentiometers. They're accurate, cheap, and very flexible. But they're very vulnerable to dust. Worse than that, they create dust - there is a little graphite nub that moves along a strip as you move your stick. The graphite wears out, because all mechanical parts wear out - graphite is basically "pencil lead" and it creates little dust fragments.

PS5_DualSense_39-scaled.jpg

This is the stick in the Dual Sense. The two dark circles in the green square are the strips of the potentiometers. You'll notice that the strips are on the side of the assembly, which is a cube. Now compare to the Switch stick.

KIuu0BB_d.webp

Flat as a pancake, for obvious reasons. The black square has the potentiometer strips facing up, toward the controller itself. That means that as the graphite wears down the dust settles directly onto the potentiometer strips.

Worse, because the Joy-Con is so thin, when you put pressure on the stick, you're squeezing it from both sides. The forces the graphite to make stronger contact, which wears it out faster. The sticks are rated for a certain number of stick rotations over the course of their lifetime before the graphite is supposed to give up the ghost. It's highly likely that the additional back pressure is why the fail so much faster than they are rated for.

Ironically, the easiest fix is to increase that pressure, forcing the graphite to make stronger contact with the strip, and then recalibrating. It was called a "permanent" fix for drift, but it actually increases the rate at which the graphite wears out (though if it makes the controller usable in the interim, probably worth it).

So, yes, the thin size of the Joy-Con absolutely contributes to drift. All three console manufacturers use off-the-shelf sticks, and for cost reasons I imagine they'll continue to. It's unlikely that Nintendo can switch to the larger Dual Sense sized assembly, at even a modestly larger controller. So the better solution is an optical or hall effect stick. No clue how likely that is from a cost perspective

Have been thinking about this for a while - the biggest reason I do not think that Nintendo would drop the Joy-Con is that they'd have to then lose the Nintendo Switch logo animation and snap sound that they have built the entire brand around.

Unless they're going to seriously take a risk in losing that branding, which has become iconic, they keep the detachable controllers.
Nintendo is going to try to built the best product they can, then market that. They're not the sort of company to have marketing dictate the feature set of their console. One of the great frustrations of NoA has been that they are essentially a marketing company at core, but have product decisions entirely dictated to them. I don't think Nintendo things that way.

Remember how hard NIntendo and the internet tried to make the Switch's core brand about looking like a derpy puppy? They've got a wide array of marketing angles to play, in the iconography of the object itself

You do not know it for a fact, as you are, I'm afraid, incorrect. Just because two devices have similar problems doesn't mean that those problems have the same causes - any more than having a fever means you can only have the flu, and not some other viral infection.
I don't think anyone denies that joy-cons suffer from drift the most because of their size, the lawsuits make that apparent. BingBong's post seemed to imply that size is the inherent reason for drift, the responses to their post bring up the other controllers because even while being in a larger enclosure, they also suffer from the worn out pots albeit at a lesser frequency and for a different precise reason. Maybe I'm projecting my own viewpoint onto @Bowser Sr. 's post, but I think the point is - you can have a small enclosure with no drift via hall effect sticks, or have a large enclosure but still get drift if you source the usual ones. Therefore, abandoning joy cons just to get rid of drift, which was what BingBong has been advocating for, doesn't seem like the move.

The Joy cons in concept are my ideal controller so i really hope next generation makes them good instead of ditching them (yes i am aware the chance is nearly zero that they would ditch them) split controllers are great.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom