• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

How easy would it be to move from SEC 8nm to another SEC node? I was a bit surprised by that (xbox at 6nm for oct 2024), and I'm already moving my mind back to SEC 8nm as the worst case scenario (I think I became too confident in the tsmc 4N)
SEC 8N is already the final evolution of the Samsung 10nm* node. If Nintendo were to shrink for a new Samsung node, they would need to port the design, validate it, do DTCO on the newer node, etc. All standard stuff, but that's getting more expensive and time consuming as time goes on.

Microsoft is able to quickly and cheaply iterate from TSMC N7 due to the fact TSMC N6 is a optimization/half-shrink of TSMC N7 and is IP compatible and follow the same design rules as TSMC N7. It was done so to give a easier migration path to customers from TSMC N7.

Unrelated, but, I'm surprised Microsoft will take so long to manufacture Scarlett to N6. It does seems like Xbox hardware has taken a backseat at Microsoft. Sony transitioned to N6 since late 2022....
It definitely won't if it's 8nm.
We don't know that. Yes, 8nm doesn't make sense from an area and energy perspective, specially the latter as we have the Jetson Power Tool to see Orin estimated power consumption. But perhaps T239, by virtue of removing the Compute Vision structures and others IPs, is way more efficient than Orin. Or these structures took so much area that T239 on 8nm is actually quite feasible. Or Samsung and Nvidia have achieved better density and energy-efficiency due an even heavier DTCO. Or Samsung has developed a node exclusively for Nintendo that is a half-shrink of 8N.......

What I'm trying to convey is that we don't have much info to sway definitely in one direction or another. While I'm in the TSMC 4N camp, I don't rule out a 8N miracle. We need to keep options open.

The mid-gen Xbox refresh is more like red box switch type of deal. They’re not doing a performance bump. Just better efficiency/manufacturing. Is there a need to go 4nm?
I mean Nintendo's competition in the hybrid/handheld/console market isn't just Valve or Microsoft or Sony. Now you have Apple in the mix with AAA ports coming soon. 4nm is smart from that perspective. Might as well maximize the NVIDIA horsepower they have at their disposal rather than trading blows with something like the A17 Pro in the here and now at least.

I feel like today's so insane, Eurogame or VGC or anyone else should leak more about ReDraketed, to make it off the charts insane!

Who's with me?

katena-sarcasm-tbv-sarcasm.gif

;D
No matter where I go, I'll never escape the Sheldon in a wig allegations.

Xbox has the ARM architecture switch on the table for next-gen.

Plus new handheld?

Isn't that just a controller for mobile devices to use the Xbox app streaming capabilities? I have a third party one for my iPhone to stream games from my XBSS, makes sense that MS would want to develop their own offerings.

Already discussing that over here. Don't look too much into it, it means nothing. You could bet safely that Sony, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc would all love to own Nintendo some day too but we'll never see those emails or backroom talks.

I mean, hell, I would love to own Nintendo some day. :p Of course, not happening.

They should really do an Ice Climber reboot with ray-traced reflections. I feel like that's the type of game they can utilize Switch features we've become accustomed to (like using two Joy-Cons for local multiplayer), while still implementing what people can expect visually speaking from a more modern system.

I mean we haven't really had an Ice Climber game since the arcade original (which was then ported to NES/Famicom and stayed with us through NES back-compat), yet Popo and Nana appear in Super Smash Bros. to this day. It's finally time for the return of the Ice Climbers.

I really, really like this idea.

This is actually interesting and does relate to our thread. Xbox plans A0 tapeout of a next-gen (I presume) silicon in 2026, with devkits being released in 2027 and PVR(Production Volume Ready) in 2028.

Why does this is interesting for our thread? As many are aware, there was a LinkedIn post back in 2022 that said a tape-out of T239 happened in H2 (iirc) 2022. MS timelines goes to show that it isn't unusual for console silicon to be taped-out way earlier than intended product release (Well, because a console is way more than a chip).

Anyway, MS timeline, is eerily similar to T239 tape-out -> Switch 2 Product release. Around 2-ish years. That's assuming Switch is coming next year, of course.
5IsFoyc_d.webp

All this nonsense makes me love the first Xbox even more, the time when Microsoft played nice and competed in a good way, by giving us powerful hardware, while giving us exclusives without buying up big companies. They just want to get rid of all competition in a malicious way.

They messed up ever since the Xbox One, thinking that they can somehow buy success by attaining all these successful companies. I'm sick and tired of it.
Honestly, I still fucking adore the Xbox 360.

That console genuinely revolutionized so much but it's the N64/PS1/Saturn that get all the attention. The Xbox 360 was the first home console to bring unified shader architecture into the mainstream. Nintendo themselves could not have stylized a game such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without the use of unified shaders. That or it would have been massively downgraded. That game looks amazing on a Wii U and even better on a Switch and even holds up to scrutiny at resolutions like 2160p if you're using emulators. There's a reason it looks noticeably better at ultra-high resolutions compared to even the HD remasters of games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

So we supposedly have Xbox Series S refresh and PS5 Pro both planned for Holiday 2024

Chances that Nintendo joins the bbq party are very slim. They like to operate in their own world

I think it makes H1 even more plausible now.

I wonder if those new models from X and Sony will be aligned with the GTA VI release
Just going by the release structure of the original Switch I'm guessing reveal in October/Q4 of this year and launch in Q1/March next year.

Honestly, I still fucking adore the Xbox 360.

That console genuinely revolutionized so much but it's the N64/PS1/Saturn that get all the attention. The Xbox 360 was the first home console to bring unified shader architecture into the mainstream. Nintendo themselves could not have stylized a game such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without the use of unified shaders. That or it would have been massively downgraded. That game looks amazing on a Wii U and even better on a Switch and even holds up to scrutiny at resolutions like 2160p if you're using emulators. There's a reason it looks noticeably better at ultra-high resolutions compared to even the HD remasters of games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

I've expressed my opinion on the Xbox 360 on this board not so long ago. Love the software, loathe the hardware. To say that I had a very bad experience with the latter would be an understatement. Then later the Xbox One was revealed, and I was like...OK, now we know for certain that you'll never win me back.

It would be incredible if LiC was the first to notice this massive MS leak.

Famiboards - We're in the game.

Just going by the release structure of the original Switch I'm guessing reveal in October/Q4 of this year and launch in Q1/March next year.

If anything, this gives me more assurance that ReDraketed is a H1 launch. You don't want to end up sandwiched between PS5 Pro and Series Pro.

It's just unneeded attention sharing, and if you can avoid that, avoid it.

Famiboards - We're in the game.

If anything, this gives me more assurance that ReDraketed is a H1 launch. You don't want to end up sandwiched between PS5 Pro and Series Pro.

You are assuming Nintendo would know those dates, at the time they made that decision.

I mean, we all know now, but that's because of this cluster fuck of a leak.

You are assuming Nintendo would know those dates, at the time they made that decision.

If they didn't before they do now which still leaves them with plenty of time to get ahead, if they go for an October announcement on the back of December mass production they'd secure H1 with relative ease

I'm pretty sure the big three have all a specific understanding in the timelines their competitors are on.

The Industry is small, they would probably have some vague input on what their competitors are planning, most likely.

Yeah I don't see a world where Nintendo would release in this what-is-going-to-be-a-shitshow Holiday 24

I really think they need their own pinnacle moment

Probably don't have a lot of wafers and what they do have is reserved for their backlog of Hopper
Production of Hopper isn't limited by the wafer capacity anymore, it is the complex packaging which limits the output right now. T239 doesn't need complex packaging and is not limited by Hopper production.

This will piss off Nintendo so much, say goodbye to any chances of Rare games showing up again on NSO or whatever
if that’s the case I am literally gonna look like DKC Cranky Kong lamenting the loss of Banjo-Tooie on NSO among other classics.

they better at least bring DK64 over

They’d probably assume mid-gen refreshes were coming, and avoiding H2 would improve their odds of not colliding with them. But yeah who knows if they had any certainty

The Xbox Brooklyn is supposed to release in November. PS5 Pro would most likely come around November. There’s been a lot of discussion that the Switch 2 would come September the latest. I wonder if Nintendo has vague ideas of what Sony and Microsoft are doing; giving themselves a couple months ahead to release the Switch 2.

They’d probably assume mid-gen refreshes were coming, and avoiding H2 would improve their odds of not colliding with it. But yeah who knows if they had any certainty
I think (and hope) this will accelerate their plans, no matter what happens. Even if it's just reveal happens a week ahead of schedule-

Or the whole thing clawed back to squeeze into the second last Friday of December.

Something must happen.

I think (and hope) this will accelerate their plans, no matter what happens. Even if it's just reveal happens a week ahead of schedule-

Or the whole thing clawed back to squeeze into the second last Friday of December.

Something must happen.
Or we’ve already heard Nintendo wanted to release sooner than later. Maybe they’ve already taken these mid gens from Sony and Microsoft into account. They don’t find out everything the time we do. They can possibly have little birdies where they heard things way ahead.

Talks or theories like the MS ones exist in every company, even Nintendo.
There’s no way there aren’t internal Nintendo emails of how SEGA or even others were great merger and acquisition opportunities lol

The first PlayStation was literally born out Sony’s collaborations with Nintendo, of course they wanted to acquire Sony at some point

So we supposedly have Xbox Series S refresh and PS5 Pro both planned for Holiday 2024

Chances that Nintendo joins the bbq party are very slim. They like to operate in their own world

I think it makes H1 even more plausible now.

I wonder if those new models from X and Sony will be aligned with the GTA VI release

Nintendo won’t care because the Switch 2 will sell comfortably more than those consoles combined over the launch period.

I've expressed my opinion on the Xbox 360 on this board not so long ago. Love the software, loathe the hardware. To say that I had a very bad experience with the latter would be an understatement. Then later the Xbox One was revealed, and I was like...OK, now we know for certain that you'll never win me back.
I mean the Xbox One was a real disaster for many reasons. This is after factoring in the changes they made after the initial backlash.

Very interesting that you do not like the hardware for the 360. If it’s the CPU architecture I kinda get it. IIRC it was kinda similar to Cell.

I mean Nintendo's competition in the hybrid/handheld/console market isn't just Valve or Microsoft or Sony. Now you have Apple in the mix with AAA ports coming soon. 4nm is smart from that perspective. Might as well maximize the NVIDIA horsepower they have at their disposal rather than trading blows with something like the A17 Pro in the here and now at least.
I was talking about Microsoft. Xbox refresh will be on 6nm. People were questioning why the chose 6nm instead of 4.

What was the SoC of the Switch Pro? :unsure:
Bloomberg and Nate repeatedly made statements about 4k and DLSS, but I think Drake is the only SoC that can do that.
Was Drake's tape-out delayed?
We don't know if Switch Pro really existed outside of plans and informal talks. From the Nvidia data breach, there wasn't any SoC that was a viable candidate for a Pro.

It might be probably that, as Thraktor and others found out, Switch OLED was meant to be a Pro console of sorts, with a overclocked Mariko and 4K output support.

None of these things are competition, people aren't buying Nintendo products for ports, any other handheld out there would be lucky to sell in months what a Switch does in days

Bloomberg and Nate repeatedly made statements about 4k and DLSS, but I think Drake is the only SoC that can do that.

It was rumoured to have some additional upscaling tech in the dock, a Mediatek chip IIRC. The SoC though, nobody knows. Possibly just an overclocked mode for Tegra?

We don't know if Switch Pro really existed outside of plans and informal talks. From the Nvidia data breach, there wasn't any SoC that was a viable candidate for a Pro.

It might be probably that, as Thraktor and others found out, Switch OLED was meant to be a Pro console of sorts, with a overclocked Mariko and 4K output support.
That and the early reports could have been from Nintendo wanting early feedback on Drakes development. Which somehow turned into devkits through a game of telephone.

There's no solid evidence a Switch Pro ever actually made it to a real, planned production phase.

It was rumoured to have some additional upscaling tech in the dock, a Mediatek chip IIRC. The SoC though, nobody knows. Possibly just an overclocked mode for Tegra?
That was just datamining Aula (oled). The oled dock does have a realtech (or mediatech) chip capable of 4k hdr output and the Samsung Oled panel is HDR capable. So they probably considered adding HDR to the oled.

Last edited:
Very interesting that you do not like the hardware for the 360. If it’s the CPU architecture I kinda get it. IIRC it was kinda similar to Cell.

It's not the specs or processor, which were very good. It's the other side of the hardware.

From the other thread:

I had a huge collection of Xbox 360 titles. Now imagine if you find such [circular] scratches on most of your discs because one assumed that there were none because you're exceptionally careful. The Xbox 360 was hardware-wise a bad machine, and this issue with the lens scratching games affected quite a number of people. They even tried to sweep it under the carpet, which really pissed me off. Loved the software, hated the hardware.

Microsoft didn't want to take responsibility for a long time, and by the time they did I got rid of it altogether.

The problem was also a topic of discussion in a Dutch consumer-rights television program, Kassa.

Turns out there's plenty of info buried in the attachments of that PDF, including hardware info -- for Microsoft/Xbox. I do not care about those, so I won't be passing it along. But if anyone's interested, download PX7011 and look at the attachments (which are mostly more PDFs).
um hey gang how come this post doesn't have 80 yeahs

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom