• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

How would announcing your customer base that you have a new console in the works is clipping Switch wings ? Switch still have plenty of games announced and unannounced, lot of attractive bundle offers also
If I was considering a $300 Switch this holiday but learned I could wait a few months and get something significantly better for $400? Definitely waiting.
It's time to accept that Switch 2 and Switch 1 will co-exist for a while, not everyone will be able to upgrade Year 1 or 2 and Nintendo is well aware of that.
Sure. Switch 1 and 2 will coexist. But that's different from Switch 1 coexisting with the idea of a Switch 2 that money can't yet be spent on.

maybe it's cope but I'm really into "Nintendo's projections are stupidly low because they know they're going to clip Switch's wings" theory
But Is 15 million stupidly low? It seems downright aggressive, even with the over-performing system sales due to TotK's launch.

But Is 15 million stupidly low? It seems downright aggressive, even with the over-performing system sales due to TotK's launch.
15 million seemed reasonable when they made the forecast back in April but the sales trajectory through the past 5 months makes it seem absurdly low, yes.

Is it possibile this is the last Nintendo switch direct?
Maybe, in the sense that after this it would at least be mixed. Hard to imagine what they could cover in a February direct if it was still Switch only, but maybe they don't have one, or it's a mini, ahead of a larger Switch 2 blowout.

Is it possibile this is the last Nintendo switch direct?
Nah

They've talked a ton about wanting to ensure a smooth transition between Switch and what comes next. They'll have continuing support for Switch even after the next console launches, I'm sure it'll still be present at a few more directs.

Nintendo isn't releasing a $500 console.

It's cutting edge in a couple of ways but I think it's going to find ways to cleverly cut costs down in other ways.

I'm banking on $400.

$400 is the price I was betting on till I see Sony/MS having to increase prices in other regions. Even though some of the factors that necessitate the price increase are no longer there, sales are still increasing at a good rate so the market is accepting the prices. The more we know about the console, the less potential cost saving to be made. We are pretty sure the chip is on a good node with good amount of ram and probably okay storage. Unless they pull a new 3DS and not include charger/dock/controllers I don't see much cost cutting left.

There is also precedent with the Switch at release costing as much as a PS4 bundle. That lead to plenty of DOA announcement back then. I don't think Nintendo is against comparable price for comparable hardware anymore.

I think it's unlikely that we'll be hearing anything official about Switch 2. On the far side, I think we might get an announcement of an announcement. Maybe a 'Look forward to future hardware announcements next year', but I really don't think that's it. More likely we'll get a boxing day direct or a January direct that talks about it. Definitely no blowout tomorrow though.

I'm feeling like predictions.

Lineup after the Switch 2 launches and they've clearanced whatever they're discontinuing:

Switch Lite (2024) - $200
Switch 2 Home - $250
Switch 2 - $350

All three have hall effect Joysticks. Switch Lite is still LCD, but Switch 2 is OLED. Switch 2 Home comes packed with a Switch 2 Pro Controller instead of joycons.

EDIT: After they run out of Switch Lite components, they launch Switch 2 Lite at $250. Switch Lite exists so that they have a lower price point for portables, and honestly, they'll catch a bunch of people who're willing to have a home unit at $250 who are skeptical of having it as a handheld. I know that I only undock my Switch a couple of times a year, but I'm happy to spend an extra $100 to have that with me on vacation.

Last edited:
You mean "later this year".
No, I don't. Post Christmas or early January. Doesn't need to be this calendar year. Just needs to be after people have opened their Christmas gifts and it's more of a challenge to return them. These only make sense if the release is March. If it's summer or fall then I don't expect much until at least a couple of months into 2024.

chaos scenario: they show off prime 4, it looks good, but no mention of Switch 2 (because it won't be mentioned without a hardware reveal/announcement) and we engage in another 4-6 months of arguing about cross gen until the March 2024 Switch 2 reveal.
That might actually happen. A cryptic tweet from buyer uncle could be hinting at MP4 (just my interpretation).

If I was considering a $300 Switch this holiday but learned I could wait a few months and get something significantly better for $400? Definitely waiting.
Any sensible executive would rather wait a few months to take extra $100 bucks out of their customer’s pocket. Unless their name is John Riccitiello.

How would announcing your customer base that you have a new console in the works is clipping Switch wings ? Switch still have plenty of games announced and unannounced, lot of attractive bundle offers also

It's time to accept that Switch 2 and Switch 1 will co-exist for a while, not everyone will be able to upgrade Year 1 or 2 and Nintendo is well aware of that.
Nintendo for years now always want you focused on the NEXT thing they can sell you. For the rest of this year it’s current Switch games like Wonder, RPG, Wario, (maybe an unannounced remaster or two) and big third party games like Batman and EA Soccer.

There is ZERO upside to them even mentioning their new console which at best is releasing in six months time. There’s plenty of time to tease, announce, reveal before next March. If next March is anything more than confused whispers from Gamescom.

That's me. Theater actor (in a show now), writer for radio, former software engineer, still working in contracting as a performance engineer for HPC. Occasionally flirting with game dev, more seriously recently.

In fact, literally in the last 90 seconds, I lost a narrative design job I've been in consider for over the last six months. Which explains why certain people haven't been talking to me in the last week. Sigh.

And my government contract is ending in two weeks which means my paltry acting income will need to pay rent next month. Which I guess means I am a full time creative again!

I am sure I won't be the only one here keeping his fingers crossed for you that your next application is successful.

That being said, I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. It may be worth asking them why you got turned down. Besides it being potentially useful information, it may also helps you understand the decision a little bit better.

Speaking from experience, I have always taken time to reply to that question.

Last edited:
My personal opinion (based on pure speculation and is completely uneducated - this is just for fun), is that we end up hearing a very basic announcement (something Nintendo-speak like "Our fans have enjoyed Nintendo Switch for many years since its original release in 2017. Please stay tuned for an announcement regarding the future of Nintendo's video game consoles in the coming months.") soon and then a reveal not long after the release of Mario Wonder. I just can't see them revealing the console only like 2 or 3 months before it actually releases. They will at least talk about it before then. This is not a pro model like some users here are still suggesting, this is their next generation console and it would be a very weird business decision to announce it in such short notice.

My personal opinion, based on pure speculation, is that we end up hearing a very basic announcement (something Nintendo-speak like "Our fans have enjoyed Nintendo Switch for many years since its original release in 2017. Please stay tuned for an announcement regarding the future of Nintendo's video game consoles in the coming months.") soon and then a reveal not long after the release of Mario Wonder. I just can't see them revealing the console only like 2 or 3 months before it actually releases. They will at least talk about it before then. This is not a pro model like some users here are still suggesting, this is their next generation console and it would be a very weird business decision to announce it in such short notice.
There's actually a precedent for "few months": Switch was announced October 2016, released March 2017. Only 4.5 months later.

And no, Nintendo most likely won't even mention "stay tuned... in the coming months". That's enough to cut into the sales of existing products.

There's actually a precedent for "few months": Switch was announced October 2016, released March 2017. Only 4.5 months later.

And no, Nintendo most likely won't even mention "stay tuned... in the coming months". That's enough to cut into the sales of existing products.
NX had been officially mentioned long before that, but I understand the situation was different.

Any sensible executive would rather wait a few months to take extra $100 bucks out of their customer’s pocket. Unless their name is John Riccitiello.
Not only that, but even if the price were the same, Nintendo would rather people wait a few months and buy the new system. That's the one they're going to be building on and profiting from for the next 7 years.

I'm feeling like predictions.

Lineup after the Switch 2 launches and they've clearanced whatever they're discontinuing:

Switch Lite (2024) - $200
Switch 2 Home - $250
Switch 2 - $350

All three have hall effect Joysticks. Switch Lite is still LCD, but Switch 2 is OLED. Switch 2 Home comes packed with a Switch 2 Pro Controller instead of joycons.

EDIT: After they run out of Switch Lite components, they launch Switch 2 Lite at $250. Switch Lite exists so that they have a lower price point for portables, and honestly, they'll catch a bunch of people who're willing to have a home unit at $250 who are skeptical of having it as a handheld. I know that I only undock my Switch a couple of times a year, but I'm happy to spend an extra $100 to have that with me on vacation.
Psychological max price for Nintendo = 399$

Eurogamer article on Nintendo NX is not "official". That's not coming from Nintendo. Nintendo Switch was formally, officially, undeniably, etc revealed October 2016. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by "officially"?
Nintendo first mentioned NX to the general public in 2015. They have not mentioned anything at all about NG to the public so far. Pretty much all of their systems have been announced this way which is what makes NG different if it is going to be released in 2024 as expected. The fact that Nintendo is taking a different approach to this is something that I haven't seen people really discuss.

I agree with that. Honestly, it depends on the consumer. Adult for themselves, that are comfortably into a career can go past that, but young adult or parent buying for kids definitely needs the 200/250 price point.

Maybe they'll do a big screen version (10") for adult gamers that are comfortably into their careers.

Max price would be more $449

Remember we got hit hard by inflation, yesterday price is not today's price anymore

If you take inflation in consideration, here is the price of the past consoles if they released today indexed on inflation:

Wii U would cost $463
Wii would cost $378
Gamecube would cost $343
Nintendo 64 would cost $386

Nintendo first mentioned NX to the general public in 2015. They have not mentioned anything at all about NG to the public so far.
They did mention "our next platform" couple times on Investor Meetings actually, same as with the NX, just they didn't give the code name this time.

If the code name is actually NX2 that would be pretty obvious and not surprising to the consumer innit ?

I actually really like the idea of a Home only Switch. I hope they end up doing one.
Right. I think we're past that point where people were arguing that it can't be done because it doesn't switch. That shit was really annoying for a while. Supporting multiple price points is important. At Switch launch that was 3DS. At Switch 2 launch, I think that's a new revision of Switch Lite, but I'd much rather see something else at a lower price that supports Switch 2 games.

Right. I think we're past that point where people were arguing that it can't be done because it doesn't switch. That shit was really annoying for a while. Supporting multiple price points is important. At Switch launch that was 3DS. At Switch 2 launch, I think that's a new revision of Switch Lite, but I'd much rather see something else at a lower price that supports Switch 2 games.
It wouldn't be for me necessarily but wow I know a few smash TO's that would cry tears of joy LOL

As Nate said in his podcast, a Switch 2 announcement wont affect the Christmas shopping of someone who has waited 7 years to buy a switch.

I think this is the best argument against "hurting holiday sales" that is heard so often...
PS2 continued to sell 10+ million units annually from 2005 to 2008, during the PS3 announcement to post-release era, it then sold around 7m in its final year of 2011 prior to discontinuation, becoming the best-selling console ever released 5 years after the PS3 already began flying off shelves

Similarly, the Switch will continue to sell until there are no more physical units left to sell

Nintendo first mentioned NX to the general public in 2015. They have not mentioned anything at all about NG to the public so far. Pretty much all of their systems have been announced this way which is what makes NG different if it is going to be released in 2024 as expected. The fact that Nintendo is taking a different approach to this is something that I haven't seen people really discuss.
A big reason why the NX was publicly mentioned in 2015 was the assumption that Nintendo was leaving the console market in favor of smartphones, or something like that. Wii U was doing bad, and 3DS was slowing down. They needed to inform the public that they were not giving up.

A big reason why the NX was publicly mentioned in 2015 was the assumption that Nintendo was leaving the console market in favor of smartphones, or something like that. Wii U was doing bad, and 3DS was slowing down. They needed to inform the public that they were not giving up.
NX wasn't the first console to be mentioned years before release though. Most of their major console releases were first announced to the general public the same amount of time before release. Of course there's factors such as the Switch being so successful and the Internet being more prominent that may affect why they might change strategies now but I still think it's very interesting.

This is the usual refrain, but out-of-the-box multiplayer is actually more appealing for a TV console
Not disagreed. I think it's a Pro Controller though. You can always buy a second controller.

They could theoretically do one thats cheaper that doesn't come with a controller or two versions with different controller options, but I would think they'd avoid complicating it with too many feature different SKUs.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom