• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

I’ve been consistent in believing that Drake would do what TX1 would do - make last gen ports easy and a new class of miracle ports possible. I’ve never (personally) believed in some generation spanning magic.

The 4090 is an 80 TFLOP card. Sony and Microsoft have every incentive to create boundary pushing exclusives. There is no world where every game made over the next 7 years was going to scale across the huge gamut of GPU power.

But - Starfield was never coming to a Nintendo system, and neither is Spider-Man 2. These are games produced by their studios to help sell their consoles and vice versa. The question is how many games that aren't first party exclusives from competitors will be able to be reasonably support Drake? DLSS, built in RT hardware, solid state storage and (potentially) a large RAM pool are going to make some incredible things possible, but they'll still need Panic Button/Feral Interactive/Virtuos levels of investment to get there.

That's the reasonsthe 4TF benchmark has seemed like a fool's errand to me. You can cross the line, at what cost? And if the rest of the package isn't there, what have you actually gained other than a console war talking point?

Rule of thumb - if it's cross gen, you can easily trade resolution for frame rate, if its current gen exclusive you can't. Particularly Microsoft, who have two consoles with very different GPU performance, but nearly identical CPU performance, are highly encouraged to build games which are CPU rather than GPU bound.

Relevant sidenote: Drake's multithreaded perf likely exceeds its single thread perf by a significant margin. So some CPU bound games might come over and some might not. The whole reason a console is able to punch above it's weight is that it's an elegantly designed ecosystem, and not just a GPU.

One of the reasons the Switch enabled so many miracle ports is, despite it's relatively low performance, it was a very new GPU architecture. And games that struggle on Switch often do so not because of CPU or GPU but memory clock - but when was the last time someone looked at a trailer and said "gosh, that game is really bandwidth bound"?

I'm sometimes regarded as a pessimist around here for my expected REDACTED performance figures, but I actually think I'm a stealth optimist. I think it's possible to elegantly design a system that punches above its (apparent) weight class based on GPU alone. I think whatever the topline number might be, that Nintendo/Nvidia might be able to replicate the Switch miracle a second time.
More than just exclusives were mentioned in there, though. Even then I sincerely don't expect Drake to be able to handle the multiplatform stuff we've just seen from Ubisoft, it's really too much for this console from many different perspectives. The priorities right now should really be just easing the I/O and bandwidth bottlenecks well enough to somehow have an actual Series S to get ports with. That's the only way this is even getting the big multiplatform stuff from most publishers, let alone the crazy stuff that we continue to see in every showcase current gen consoles get.

people did think the kickstand might be a problem in the reveal though
Truth, I more meant, "I needed to own a switch to believe upgrading the kickstand would be something I'd pay money for."

Since the NBA Finals just ended, I need something to watch/keep me occupied while I'm on the computer. Need Switch 2 leaks!!!
Dude I'm begging for something to happen. Class has been out for about a month, no basketball or football (American, sorry folks!), and I'm done Zelda. I need a factory leak, a render; something.

E
You're wrong on one point, Starfield is really impressive, but it still runs on Series S, and with simple optimizations it would run on Drake.
TotK, which in my opinion is certainly one of the greatest games in terms of gameplay and interaction between different systems, in addition to the huge amount of content, still runs on Switch.
"Simple optimizations".

That is impossible to say confidently without knowing what you're talking about. Maybe it's really pushing the storage and the cpu, both of which Drake will be far behind. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Would probably need to see how the game scales on PC before making a statement about it with any confidence.

E

"Simple optimizations".

That is impossible to say confidently without knowing what you're talking about. Maybe it's really pushing the storage and the cpu, both of which Drake will be far behind. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Would probably need to see how the game scales on PC before making a statement about it with any confidence.
Honestly think it's GPU+ Maybe Memory, Todd said the main reason its 30fps is they want a consistent experience without sacrificing Fidelity and that the 4K output on Series X and highest res possible for Series S was "essential" for their experience.

I say maybe memory as we have no clue how this version of Creation Engine handles objects/persistence/changes in the universe versus the more memory-intensive Skyrim versions of the engine.

But from what Todd says, even that it can hit 60fps at points but they locked it for stability at their target resolutions indicates that it may just actually be dev choice to not bother/prioritize a Performance mode by launch.

Dude I'm begging for something to happen. Class has been out for about a month, no basketball or football (American, sorry folks!), and I'm done Zelda. I need a factory leak, a render; something
There's a sale on the eshop atm. There's a lot of great games aside from Zelda.

Well people, if any of you have been following the next gen showcases this week, I feel like this statement needs to be made sooner or later.

After real showcases like Starfield, Avatar, Outlaws, Fable and Hellblade 2... To be honest, my hype for Drake has kind of dissipated. Don't get me wrong, it will certainly be a great mobile chip with plenty of grunt to offer modern experiences but I felt much more confident on it before, when we assumed next gen games would only be considerably prettier incarnations of what we saw before... Couldn't be any more wrong in my eyes.

Starfield is incredible, the game is huge, vast and the amount of systems it's starring is ages ahead of anything we've seen to date. However, the fact it was given a 30 FPS cap is what worries me. It's pretty obvious all of the next gen releases will be ditching the bells and whistles we expected Drake to power through with reconstruction and tricks. Current gen systems are clearly starting to be used properly now, starting from the CPUs to the super fast SSDs. Ports could be feasible with uprezzed stuff like Ragnarok and Horizon FW, but this... This may be too much for the chip, just saying.

It's not even its fault, it's just what we have to come in terms with for a portable and after these announcements, I sincerely hate the compromises already.

Honestly, my hype has gone up, and the showcase was good but I've never been more ready for a new Nintendo system and Xbox Showcase didn't change that.

Out of the stuff you mentioned only Starfield was truly impressive and next-gen feeling to me. At least the stuff with gameplay, I am not counting stuff like Fable or Hellblade 2 yet since I do not know what moment-to-moment gameplay will look like, visually they will probably be incredible. Even then, I am not crowning Starfield till I see it running on my PC with a minimal amount of bugs and performance issues.

The Switch got to where it got without a Madden, Jedi Survivor, or a modern GTA game. It did this largely by not needing these massive polygon-pushing AAA games. So the last thing on my mind while watching an Xbox showcase is what will be lacking on the Drake. For me, the Drake has me foaming at the mouth with what Nintendo will do with more power given some of the games they have put out on Switch. That's my primary concern in the one that will always matter most when buying a NIntendo system.

If it is as easy to develop for as Switch and sells well, the games and ports will come. I expect the typical surprise ports akin to Doom and Witcher making their way there, as well as a good amount of live service games already on Switch that will run better on Drake.

After Tears of The Kingdom, I cannot imagine how ambitious the next Zelda game is, and I'd gladly sacrifice the possibility of something like Starfield to keep the hybrid concept. Not that it was ever coming to the Drake in the first place. Great game makers will find a way to put great games on the Drake.

Just Dance is reliable Direct sizzle reel material. If there is a Direct near the time of the Just Dance announcement (which there nearly always is) it's in the Direct.

In general, Nintendo is blowing through material that would usually be reserved for a Direct. None of it is "big announcement" worthy, but at this time of year, Nintendo "re-announces" lots of stuff during the Direct - Nintendo has posted 14 videos in the last week that are the sort of partner announcements that would wind up in a Direct if a Direct were imminent. Any one of them might conceivably miss a Direct as Nintendo cuts for time, but collectively they represent a quantity of material that would easily take a Direct Mini and turn it into a pretty standard full fat E3 presentation.

Which is not to say that "Nintendo doesn't have games, Switch is dying" - quite the opposite. We're getting the usual number of announcements we get around E3 time, they're just not packaged up in a Direct. Nintendo fans don't need Nintendo to tell them that Sonic, Prince of Persia, GaaS updates and every indie under the sun are coming to their Switch.

Nintendo can spend Summer letting partners just do their own thing, and then wait for things to quiet down before putting the spotlight on the stuff they really want to feature - whether that's new hardware or just some H2 software announcements.
I love Lukas' predictive powers as much as anyone and would love a meaty June Direct, but also feel like last year's Twitter Direct in the summer did just fine for them. February Direct for the first half of the year and September for the second just makes too much sense to me. Save the rest for partners' own presentations.

Anyways, I'm just glad we're getting a great looking Prince of Persia that's seemingly inspired by the best controlling 2D game ever made (Dread!). Let's hope it runs at 60FPS.

I love Lukas' predictive powers as much as anyone and would love a meaty June Direct, but also feel like last year's Twitter Direct in the summer did just fine for them. February Direct for the first half of the year and September for the second just makes too much sense to me. Save the rest for partners' own presentations.

Anyways, I'm just glad we're getting a great looking Prince of Persia that's seemingly inspired by the best controlling 2D game ever made (Dread!). Let's hope it runs at 60FPS.
It runs at 60FPS and comes on a physical Game Card.

I am not entirely convinced that Starfield will remain on Xbox/PC forever. (Drake version 🤞)
I think it would be a lot less money in their pockets considering how much these games cost now.

Separately for Avatar and Star Wars, these I think will come along with the Assassin's Creed games.
I guess Nintendo is already taking all this into consideration.

I am not entirely convinced that Starfield will remain on Xbox/PC forever. (Drake version 🤞)
I think it would be a lot less money in their pockets considering how much these games cost now.

Separately for Avatar and Star Wars, these I think will come along with the Assassin's Creed games.
I guess Nintendo is already taking all this into consideration.
Also for some households that share tvs, having a screen for yourself is really the only chance at ever getting to complete huge rpgs like starfield.

Also for some households that share tvs, having a screen for yourself is really the only chance at ever getting to complete huge rpgs like starfield.
Exactly.
I'm very tempted to get a series S for Starfield but I already know that, playing in front of the TV when I can, it will take me over a year to finish it, I'm not exaggerating or joking.

Playing anywhere and when 'my' TV seat is occupied allowed me to finish Skyrim for the first time (despite already having it for PC), as well as a whole host of other titles.

Don't know about anyone else but I am excited for a cloud sony handheld. I don't need another console till 2027 and this handheld ensures that I can play even when my family is using the TV. I have fibre internet so not really worried about lag and what not.

Add in the fact that dualsense haptics will work, makes it even better for me.

Nintendo are the kings of operations and supply chain management. They know their best option is to focus on a single SKU. After the COVID supply chain issues, I seriously doubt Nintendo would consider having more than one SKU at launch. If they’re trying to replicate the Switch’s successful launch year, one of the obvious things to copy is the single SKU thing. I just don’t see Nintendo launching two versions of the same product during launch. Either a physical and digital version; or a physical version with different storage options. Let alone differently colored. Nintendo wants a smooth transition. Offering more than one product wouldn’t be smooth.

Nintendo are the kings of operations and supply chain management. They know their best option is to focus on a single SKU. After the COVID supply chain issues, I seriously doubt Nintendo would consider having more than one SKU at launch. If they’re trying to replicate the Switch’s successful launch year, one of the obvious things to copy is the single SKU thing. I just don’t see Nintendo launching two versions of the same product during launch. Either a physical and digital version; or a physical version with different storage options. Let alone differently colored. Nintendo wants a smooth transition. Offering more than one product wouldn’t be smooth.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Switch had two SKUs at launch.

No, the Nintendo Switch Console HAC-001, did not have two SKUs at launch. The Nintendo Switch system did, yes. But this is about consoles with different colourways and different storage amounts. Which Nintendo Switch did not have.
Missed that bit from @fwd-bwd’s post thanks to the spoiler quote limitations. Carry on!

Dude I'm begging for something to happen. Class has been out for about a month, no basketball or football (American, sorry folks!), and I'm done Zelda. I need a factory leak, a render; something.

Trust me after Man City won the CL, I was begging for the Heat to extend. Luckily I have some MLS but that is literally once a week.

Nintendo, please just leak the damn specs!

Trust me after Man City won the CL, I was begging for the Heat to extend. Luckily I have some MLS but that is literally once a week.

Nintendo, please just leak the damn specs!

I have a special message from Nintendo, an answer for your request:

neva-never.gif

No, the Nintendo Switch Console HAC-001, did not have two SKUs at launch. The Nintendo Switch system did, yes. But this is about consoles with different colourways and different storage amounts. Which Nintendo Switch did not have.
Forgive me for getting a bit pedantic here, but SKU stands for stock keeping unit, ie a box that goes on a shelf in a retail store. The Switch launched with two stock keeping units, one box which contained a console and grey joy-cons, and one which contained a console and red and blue joy-cons. Retailers had to keep track of their stock separately from each other, hence they're separate SKUs. The Switch Lite also launched with three SKUs (three different colours) and the OLED model launched with two. Nintendo have added a bunch of different SKUs since then, with special editions, bundles, etc.

I don't mean to call you out specifically, it's just that SKU is one of those terms that has a very specific meaning but is frequently used to mean something else, and there's a little voice in the back of my head every time saying "well actually", which I occasionally give in to and become an internet pedant. What people are generally describing are different models, not different SKUs, as per your example, where they launched with only a single console model number, HAC-001.

In any case, I would agree that they're probably only going to launch with a single model, as from a logistical point of view it makes managing the launch a lot simpler. Both the base Switch and the OLED model launched with a less-colourful joy-con option and a more-colourful joy-con option, so my guess is they'll probably do the same (although might break from the blue and red, to distinguish the new console a bit more).

Forgive me for getting a bit pedantic here, but SKU stands for stock keeping unit, ie a box that goes on a shelf in a retail store. The Switch launched with two stock keeping units, one box which contained a console and grey joy-cons, and one which contained a console and red and blue joy-cons. Retailers had to keep track of their stock separately from each other, hence they're separate SKUs. The Switch Lite also launched with three SKUs (three different colours) and the OLED model launched with two. Nintendo have added a bunch of different SKUs since then, with special editions, bundles, etc.

I don't mean to call you out specifically, it's just that SKU is one of those terms that has a very specific meaning but is frequently used to mean something else, and there's a little voice in the back of my head every time saying "well actually", which I occasionally give in to and become an internet pedant. What people are generally describing are different models, not different SKUs, as per your example, where they launched with only a single console model number, HAC-001.

In any case, I would agree that they're probably only going to launch with a single model, as from a logistical point of view it makes managing the launch a lot simpler. Both the base Switch and the OLED model launched with a less-colourful joy-con option and a more-colourful joy-con option, so my guess is they'll probably do the same (although might break from the blue and red, to distinguish the new console a bit more).
I was going to clarify "While yes, SKU means stock keeping unit, we're not using it in the formal sense here, we just mean variations of the console itself."

I... Didn't think it would be needed. That context alone would suffice. Clearly not for everyone.

Thanks for the clarification. In this case, I don’t see Nintendo releasing two versions of the Switch 2 that require two different manufacturing processes

Thanks for the clarification. In this case, I don’t see Nintendo releasing two versions of the Switch 2 that require two different manufacturing processes
Much like 3DS, I also expect them to RETAIN the charger (and dock). As it stands they don't really have a need to update either, and it means one less thing to manufacture. Rather than going from Old Dock and Dock with LAN Port to THREE docks, drop the V2 (and its dock) and just manufacture and sell the Dock with LAN Port. With the new generation advertised alongside the Black Dock with LAN Port and old gen with the White Dock with LAN Port.

Let me retract a bit:
How complicated is it to manufacture different colored SKUs? I just remembered the 3DS launched with a black and blue version

Let me retract a bit:
How complicated is it to manufacture different colored SKUs? I just remembered the 3DS launched with a black and blue version
It's really not that bad. I'm more concerned with electronic differences, such as features or storage amount. Ultimately, different finishes just means buying two different kinds of plastic or paint, which isn't too hard on the supply chain, they need to do that for Joy-Con anyway. But different storage modules would definitely complicate things. Either they need to inventory multiple variations of modules with the same internal connector, or order just one kind of module and leave one storage slot empty on the lower model, increasing the motherboard complexity and size for both it and the bigger unit.

I think it's possible, sure, but I definitely don't think it's likely.

Speaking of possible, but perhaps not particularly likely, it's possible Nintendo will tease Switch 2 in about 40 minutes. IT IS "Not E3" Tuesday.

Relevant sidenote: Drake's multithreaded perf likely exceeds its single thread perf by a significant margin. So some CPU bound games might come over and some might not. The whole reason a console is able to punch above it's weight is that it's an elegantly designed ecosystem, and not just a GPU.

Is this based on Geekbench results? If so, I have reason to be somewhat skeptical of Geekbench's multicore results, specifically on Geekbench 6.

Recently I upgraded my desktop from a Ryzen 3700X (8 core Zen 2) to a 5900X (12 core Zen 3), and just out of curiosity I did a handful of before and after benchmarks. The Geekbench 6 scores in particular were a bit surprising. Single core scores went from 1647 to 2194 (+33%), and multi-core scores went from 8061 to 10623 (+32%). Single core scores went up by slightly more than multi core, despite core count going up 50%, which is a bit weird. For comparison, on Cinebench I was getting a 23% increase in single core results and a 70% increase in multi core, which is more along the lines of what I was expecting. Of course I don't expect everything to scale as well as Cinebench, and moving from 1 to 2 CPU chiplets would have an impact on some multithreaded workloads, but seemingly not getting any benefit to having 50% more cores in the multi core results was puzzling.

Looking through the results of the sub-tasks, though, I think the reason is that some of the underlying tasks in Geekbench 6 just aren't that well multithreaded. I don't have the original results handy, but I found comparable results for the 3700X and 5900X on Geekbench's results browser, which should be representative enough. The one to look at here is "Text Processing", where the 3700X hits 1379 in single core mode, but just 1730 in multi core, so it's only getting a 25% speedup from running on 8 cores instead of 1. At the other end of the spectrum the Ray Tracer test jumps from 1666 in single core to 17541 in multi core, about a 10.5x increase.

Having some tests be better multithreaded than others is probably a fair reflection of real-world code, but in this case it seems to be skewing the results somewhat. Text processing is one of the sub-tasks which the 5900X improves the most in single core mode, with a 55% better score than the 3700X. Conversely, it sees much less improvement in ray tracing, with only a 22% better score on a single core. However, ray tracing counts for a whole lot more than text processing in the multi core results, because it's actually using those extra cores, so the multi core results are a lot less impressive than the single core results and it seems like the 5900X doesn't have good multicore performance, which isn't necessarily the case.

It seems like, in part Geekbench 6's multi core results are measuring the true multi-threaded capabilities of the CPU, but in part they're also measuring how good the CPUs are at the specific tasks which happen to be well multithreaded in Geekbench 6.

How did you all react to the sudden Switch OLED announcement trailer about 2 years ago?
July 6th is my birthday when the video dropped that morning, i woke up fixed me some cereal and noticed that my Wario64 notifications were going off, i noticed in the preview notification said "Nintendo Switch OLED model", i put down my cereal running around the house yelling FINALLY THE SWITCH PRO IS REAL HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. Went to check out the trailer on Nintendo's trailer and amount of disappointment following after really soured my whole Bday because everything came true except the main thing i wanted the 4K updated chips.

How did you all react to the sudden Switch OLED announcement trailer about 2 years ago?

I was in the process of cooking home-made Spätzle (german egg noodles) and thought the Switch Pro was here to drain my bank account, but it was the OLED instead. I'm still running two launch-day-switch-consoles to this day, the pandemic shifted me to use the docked-mode a lot more than the handheld-mode.

Honestly, my hype has gone up, and the showcase was good but I've never been more ready for a new Nintendo system and Xbox Showcase didn't change that.

Out of the stuff you mentioned only Starfield was truly impressive and next-gen feeling to me. At least the stuff with gameplay, I am not counting stuff like Fable or Hellblade 2 yet since I do not know what moment-to-moment gameplay will look like, visually they will probably be incredible. Even then, I am not crowning Starfield till I see it running on my PC with a minimal amount of bugs and performance issues.

The Switch got to where it got without a Madden, Jedi Survivor, or a modern GTA game. It did this largely by not needing these massive polygon-pushing AAA games. So the last thing on my mind while watching an Xbox showcase is what will be lacking on the Drake. For me, the Drake has me foaming at the mouth with what Nintendo will do with more power given some of the games they have put out on Switch. That's my primary concern in the one that will always matter most when buying a NIntendo system.

If it is as easy to develop for as Switch and sells well, the games and ports will come. I expect the typical surprise ports akin to Doom and Witcher making their way there, as well as a good amount of live service games already on Switch that will run better on Drake.

After Tears of The Kingdom, I cannot imagine how ambitious the next Zelda game is, and I'd gladly sacrifice the possibility of something like Starfield to keep the hybrid concept. Not that it was ever coming to the Drake in the first place. Great game makers will find a way to put great games on the Drake.
"Needing" them or not isn't really what you should be talking about right now, but all of the stuff we're legitimately missing out as users now that we can see what the current gen systems can do. I can't no longer use ports like Doom and Witcher for examples for this, as those games aren't that CPU or GPU heavy even on PC, much more demanding stuff arrived afterwards and it didn't come to Switch (same here). Being honest as well, so much for Nintendo doing a lot with the hardware and all... But I was blown away much more with these showcases than anything they're probably going to make in the successor, and not just in the technical department. The seamless gameplay transitions like the ones in Outlaws and Starfield for starters are flat out not possible in Drake, unless we get 1.5 GB/s speeds or more in the storage medium, add it up the CPU clocked at a half of Zen 2 and that's game design that they're potentially compromising already for the whole package.

The next Zelda will be ambitious, but I'm afraid for the time of release it will be considered just as held back by Drake hardware as TOTK was because of Switch. Same for all the other games Nintendo will make... Many don't even expect them to push the device to Sony PS4 levels until a while into the gen, thus it is discouraging to see how incredibly behind they are more than ever before. Not even their fault, as I'm pretty sure this chip is the best thing someone could even make for the power envelope but still, the rest of the place isn't lagging behind at all.

I was going to clarify "While yes, SKU means stock keeping unit, we're not using it in the formal sense here, we just mean variations of the console itself."

I... Didn't think it would be needed. That context alone would suffice. Clearly not for everyone.
"I'm surprised I had to clarify that by SKU, I didn't mean SKU" is a little condescending, no?

More than just exclusives were mentioned in there, though. Even then I sincerely don't expect Drake to be able to handle the multiplatform stuff we've just seen from Ubisoft, it's really too much for this console from many different perspectives.
Yeah, as I said - last gen games, some miracle ports. Same as with Switch. What class of multiplatform games came to Switch that you think, going forward, are not coming to REDACTED?

That said, I don't see anything in the Ubisoft presentation that screams "unportable" - what makes you think otherwise? If a game is GPU bound on a Series S, it will run on REDACTED, if it's single thread bound on Series S, it won't and in the middle is a lot of grey area.

The priorities right now should really be just easing the I/O and bandwidth bottlenecks well enough to somehow have an actual Series S to get ports with.
I'm not sure what this sentence means. Maybe it's because I'm having trouble sleeping, but I can't parse this sentence

I'm not sure I/O and memory bandwidth are going to be the persistent bottlenecks for REDACTED. One, because we haven't actually seen REDACTED yet, but two, because none of these games have released, so there is no sense of what the general trend of software is going to be.

Yeah, as I said - last gen games, some miracle ports. Same as with Switch. What class of multiplatform games came to Switch that you think, going forward, are not coming to REDACTED?

That said, I don't see anything in the Ubisoft presentation that screams "unportable" - what makes you think otherwise? If a game is GPU bound on a Series S, it will run on REDACTED, if it's single thread bound on Series S, it won't and in the middle is a lot of grey area.

I'm not sure what this sentence means. Maybe it's because I'm having trouble sleeping, but I can't parse this sentence

I'm not sure I/O and memory bandwidth are going to be the persistent bottlenecks for REDACTED. One, because we haven't actually seen REDACTED yet, but two, because none of these games have released, so there is no sense of what the general trend of software is going to be.
They're definitely persistent bottlenecks now that many of these current gen games are targetting close to 1080p on those consoles, Series S is already going even lower. The res advantage Drake was going to have over current gen is also kind of fading away the further we get into the gen, unfortunately... So that's probably not the silver budget many here expected it to be.

So far, every current gen Series S release is struggling with resolutions borderline 720p and some major cases like Jedi Survivor force it to go as low as 600p. If the S is already struggling this badly, I don't see it faring any better for Drake even with DLSS. Also, did you actually see the instant transitions in both of those games? That's outright not going to run in Drake because of the storage speed.

Last edited:
Is this based on Geekbench results? If so, I have reason to be somewhat skeptical of Geekbench's multicore results, specifically on Geekbench 6.
I wouldn't be surprised if Geekbench is bad at multithreading, if for no other reason than multithreading is hard. I was about to open my mouth and say something stupid - that I tended to trust that, even if the Geekbench multithreaded benchmark is not especially good, it's an apples to apples comparison of how well a CPU scales but I realized that the compiler is doing some heavy lifting there, which might skew results between ARM and x86 considerably.

I do have higher expectations of multithreaded perf. To be clear, I'm not saying that I expect Drake to outperform PS5 in multithreaded operations. I'm saying that my current assumption is that the gap would be smaller than the single threaded performance. That the ARM interconnect in a single cluster on a monolithic die will get closer to the theoretical max performance of all 8 cores on well threaded workloads.

But perhaps that current assumption doesn't actually hold up?

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom