• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (New Staff Post, Please read)

Neither of these posts are helpful at all as they provide no empirical support for why their inference steps are valid.
I’m just hoping to get some perspective on what the community’s been chatting about, even if some things end up untrue within the final product. I feel like that’s a good place to start if I want to join the discussion.

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but I’m assuming you don’t believe everything from those posts. What kind of expectations do you have for the next console?

I’m just hoping to get some perspective on what the community’s been chatting about, even if some things end up untrue within the final product. I feel like that’s a good place to start if I want to join the discussion.

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but I’m assuming you don’t believe everything from those posts. What kind of expectations do you have for the next console?

My basic expectations would be that of a standard hardware jump (like from Wii to WiiU or DS to 3DS or PS3 to PS4 or PS4 to PS5), similar form factor, a price of $400 to $500, and a release date in November 2024, but this is all just based on prior console history, the current trajectory of the Switch, and the Switch's prior success. Nintendo could subvert these expectations in some way, of course.

More specific hardware is difficult to determine. I haven't found any of the inference from the NVIDIA hack to be even slightly persuasive as so little empirical evidence has been presented to support the inference steps made and the predictions made from the inference have been consistently bad.

I have a feeling Switch 2 will equal or surpass the OLED in terms of themed versions. The OLED has three themed SKUs:
• Splatoon
• Pokemon
• Zelda

I think one of the first themed Drakes will be Mario themed. If not released within a year of the successor’s release, we’ll see it when the Mario Movie 2 is released
For what it’s worth, I’m expecting a 64GB “regular” one in white and a 128GB “deluxe” set in jet black. Maybe a red Mario one.

anyway

Food for thought, will nintendo continue with Broadcomm for their BT and Wi-Fi needs? Or are there other options they can pick from?

the specs literally come from Nvidia. if Nintendo doesn't use the chip, it doesn't make them not true, it just means they passed on it. it's the only verifiable piece of detail we know about the successor.

I’m sorry, is this the Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Empirical Evidence thread? What’s your threshold? Do you not accept new posts unless there’s a notary public present?

This seems to be trying to make a completely different argument than the actual thing you know I am arguing, lol.

When you make very definitive sounding claims about certain things in a hack mean, you should provide evidence as to those claims or be much less definitive (evidence clearly cannot exist due to the oddness of the NVIDIA historically)

the specs literally come from Nvidia. if Nintendo doesn't use the chip, it doesn't make them not true, it just means they passed on it. it's the only verifiable piece of detail we know about the successor.
I’m sorry, but new thread standards dictate that your speculation will need to be peer-reviewed in at least four journals of good repute.

I think the use of 32GB cartridges was of interest in this thread. It seems to me that it is the 2nd LRG game that uses these cartridges (the first being Doom Eternal, and I don't know if there are any more)

And the price at which the game comes out is not expensive, about $40.
I would say that, despite the fact that there are third parties like 2K that can put you an 8GB game like Code in a Box (eg lego racing), the price of the cartridges is getting cheaper.

Edit. I investigate and is not the second 32GB game by LRG, there are a lot in the last year like KOTOR2 or Outbreak Collection.

I think we're gonna see massive jumps in capacities, as there were also with prior handhelds. Macronix seems to deliberately price game cards to invest into the next generation of memory. The Switch game cards use their XtraROM technology, so they either expanded upon that, or developed something new for the new hardware.

Well now that a certain someone seems to be banned now. Can the thread get back to being fun without the fun-police coming in with their own bad takes and conclusions?

The attempts to derail this conversation were pretty back-handed, please read the OP to know what thread you're in.

I actually think Wii U taught them to stick with one SKU at launch. Easier in terms of inventory management and production.
They will likely go for 128 GB to increase perceived value, and differentiate it from OLED

Last edited:
I think we're gonna see massive jumps in capacities, as there were also with prior handhelds. Macronix seems to deliberately price game cards to invest into the next generation of memory. The Switch game cards use their XtraROM technology, so they either expanded upon that, or developed something new for the new hardware.
I've said this many times, but there's the rumour of Macronix providing Nintendo samples of Macronix's 48-layer NAND flash. But I don't know if that rumour really went anywhere.

Hm, what are people’s thoughts of a switch 2 that does come in more than one color for the body? (Matte)

Atomic shell purple is a special pre-order edition, but the others are like a midnight bluish black, an SNES gray color, and a pure Wii white console.

Pure white comes multicolored buttons though, but the gray would come with purple buttons.

Midnight bluish black comes with black buttons.

I say this because the switch main body is pretty much just black, joycons have creativity, but the main body is pretty boring.

Hm, what are people’s thoughts of a switch 2 that does come in more than one color for the body? (Matte)

Atomic shell purple is a special pre-order edition, but the others are like a midnight bluish black, an SNES gray color, and a pure Wii white console.

Pure white comes multicolored buttons though, but the gray would come with purple buttons.

I say this because the switch main body is pretty much just black, joycons have creativity, but the main body is pretty boring.
I think they will stick to a single color for the tablet. Makes manufacturing much easier and allows them to offer customization by changing out the joycons while making the main unit standard. Switch was such a well thought out product from that production/modularity angle as well. Why fix what's not broken.

Give me see through plastic and I will preorder 5.

I think they will stick to a single color for the tablet. Makes manufacturing much easier and allows them to offer customization by changing out the joycons while making the main unit standard. Switch was such a well thought out product from that production/modularity angle as well. Why fix what's not broken.
It’s more about a desire to have more than expecting more kinds, to be clear.

We need more purple nintendo consoles.

Missed this.

Switch is the only platform I'm aware of.
Interesting. I doubt Nintendo would want to release another Fire Emblem so soon after Engage, so we probably won't see it until September at the earliest. I still want to believe that the Switchcessor is less than a year out, though, and the last Fire Emblem game that got remade was Echoes, which came out on the 3DS over two months after the Switch launched.

For the SwiDacted, I'm leaning towards a 15% chance holiday 2023 (it could happen), 45% chance 1h 2024, 35% chance 2h 2024 (probably holidays), 5% 2025, 1% chance some crazy shenanigans.

I suspect a minor joycon redesign, some unique joycon color combo (idk maybe mauve + night blue?), a new marketing "switch click" sound effect/animation would be enough to different the console aesthetically. I'd also go for a two tone google pixel color style on the main console body if it were my choice. (I also miss galaxy purple. I hope they have that.)

I really hope a regular internal storage on the SwiDacted, would be 128gb and a deluxe model would be 256... I know micro SD is cheap, but downloads/dlc/patches are even more common now and games will be bigger.

It is Interesting that nintendo is tight lipped around software 2h 2023, I'd expect a moderately long cross gen period anyway, I wouldn't see any issue showing current gen/patchless versions of games in development.

I also wonder what nintendo thinks of the ASUS ROG. Despite the Steamdeck's value, Valve didn't manage to produce that many units to get in to the hands of people and a lot of regions are unserved. The ROG (with its suspected Microsoft support) seems to targeting a wider audience. But it costs a bit more, even further a way from Nintendo's wheelhouse. (I'm also surprised ASUS didn't go for some lower specs, it seems very expensive to make and they could have targeted an even more competitive price point).

For the SwiDacted, I'm leaning towards a 15% chance holiday 2023 (it could happen), 45% chance 1h 2024, 35% chance 2h 2024 (probably holidays), 5% 2025, 1% chance some crazy shenanigans.

I suspect a minor joycon redesign, some unique joycon color combo (idk maybe mauve + night blue?), a new marketing "switch click" sound effect/animation would be enough to different the console aesthetically. I'd also go for a two tone google pixel color style on the main console body if it were my choice. (I also miss galaxy purple. I hope they have that.)

I really hope a regular internal storage on the SwiDacted, would be 128gb and a deluxe model would be 256... I know micro SD is cheap, but downloads/dlc/patches are even more common now and games will be bigger.

It is Interesting that nintendo is tight lipped around software 2h 2023, I'd expect a moderately long cross gen period anyway, I wouldn't see any issue showing current gen/patchless versions of games in development.

I also wonder what nintendo thinks of the ASUS ROG. Despite the Steamdeck's value, Valve didn't manage to produce that many units to get in to the hands of people and a lot of regions are unserved. The ROG (with its suspected Microsoft support) seems to targeting a wider audience. But it costs a bit more, even further a way from Nintendo's wheelhouse. (I'm also surprised ASUS didn't go for some lower specs, it seems very expensive to make and they could have targeted an even more competitive price point).
Nintendo probably either doesn't know or care the ROG exists

That device is rumored to be $700, so while it competes with the Switch by just existing in the portable gaming market; it's targeting the high-end handheld PC market which I still think is quite niche. I am sure Nintendo knows of these devices but they will hardly bat an eye at them. They know more than anyone how difficult it is to maintain a spot in the portable gaming space and it takes a lot more than powerful hardware.

It is pretty cool to see devices this powerful and portable make their way to the market but I think I'm good waiting for whatever Nintendo is cooking.

Well now that a certain someone seems to be banned now. Can the thread get back to being fun without the fun-police coming in with their own bad takes and conclusions?
For a week, at least.

Regarding the mooted holiday 2024 release window, how much do we think Nintendo would be weakening their market position by attempting to ride the Switch for another full 18-20 months? At some point it feels like they’re coasting a bit.

From Celine, on InstallBase/IB:

The company’s ROM chip business would be one of the bright spots, as the growth momentum is likely to extend into this quarter from last quarter, Wu said.

Nintendo Co is a major ROM chip client for Macronix.

Factory utilization this quarter would be similar to that in the fourth quarter of last year, the company said.

For a week, at least.

Regarding the mooted holiday 2024 release window, how much do we think Nintendo would be weakening their market position by attempting to ride the Switch for another full 18-20 months? At some point it feels like they’re coasting a bit.
I think this comment on the last page is mostly true ...
I agree a successor doesn't feel necessary at this point, even though many games are struggling to perform. 80% of players just won't notice or won't care as long as they can play the latest Pokémon or Mario Kart on the platform they own.
... the only rider I'd add to that is if most of those 80% become 4K TV owners, and start to think that the image quality on their new screens when docked looks a bit rubbish. Also if friends and family are now easily able to get PS5s to show off with.

... the only rider I'd add to that is if most of those 80% become 4K TV owners, and start to think that the image quality on their new screens when docked looks a bit rubbish. Also if friends and family are now easily able to get PS5s to show off with.
Fair point, I guess. It's hard for me not to project my own desire for a gadget onto the market as a whole.

Fair enough. It's almost hard to get a living room size TV that isn't 4K these days. Obviously some parents and kids still won't notice or care, but it's also a bit embarrassing for a gaming company to not have 4K output available in 2024 when competitors have had the option for the past 8 years.

I won't say this with the same certainty I say they won't vary storage.

But I don't think there's any reason for them to vary the body.

One finish that differentiates it from the Switch V1/3/OLED is all they need. Additional complexity to their supply chain wouldn't help.

Personally, I think metallic is a possibility.

Interesting. I doubt Nintendo would want to release another Fire Emblem so soon after Engage, so we probably won't see it until September at the earliest. I still want to believe that the Switchcessor is less than a year out, though, and the last Fire Emblem game that got remade was Echoes, which came out on the 3DS over two months after the Switch launched.
Being a "Switch" platform title doesn't mean it can't have a next gen patch. Plus, if it launches in September that doesn't preclude a console launch in the same year.

...and of course, just because someone has heard about item 1 doesn't mean item 2 doesn't exist. To be clear, nor did he imply as much.

For a week, at least.

Absolutely, it would weaken them. They're already coasting on remakes and delays.

Please read this new, consolidated staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom