• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Funniest Games Ever Made

Vookatos

Like Like
Pronouns
He/They
I've recently been thinking about how funny video games can be, and have decided to list off some favorites as well as listen to other people's opinions on the matter.

In the OP I'll try to avoid stuff that everyone knows about (did you hear about a little game called Portal?) and focus on some lesser-known titles to hopefully boost them or change perspectives about what those games are like.

Resident Evil VII
I'll start with a bit of a shock to many because yes, Resident Evil is a horror series, and indeed RE7 is pretty scary sometimes. However, just like RE4, it fully embraces its B-movie ideas and runs with them, introducing you to a Texas Chainsaw-like family of Bakers who are charmingly dark, bickering among each other at the table with cockroach soup and the like. The game features some very cool battles, particularly against Jack who at one point steals your car and starts doing donuts to try and hit you.
Of course, there's also a matter of DLC which is plentiful and contains several pretty substantial games from Tower Defense-like to Point and Click puzzle rooms. However, for the purpose of this thread let's shine a light on 21: a sadistic puzzle blackjack that gets gruesomly funny, a cheesy Jack's Birthday which sees you find and feed food to the head of the family while avoiding rotten zombies in party hats, and of course the one to put this game on the list: End of Zoe, which sees you play as a prepper uncle of the family punching zombies and wrestling with swamp monsters in a rare occurence of a survivalist conspiracy theorist being right about everything. Love this game to death, my favorite RE.

Pathologic 2
I've always been a sucker for dry humor, and Russian remake of a 2005 game delivers it in full. A survival open-world story-based RPG(?) is very Twin Peaks, and just like David Lynch's and Mark Frost's TV show is full of colorful characters and strange things that are often quite humorous. Choosing right replies it's possible to play the game as Guybrush Threepwood-like sarcastic joker, but the game's dialogue is often very funny by itself. It's a blast of a mystery and made me laugh out loud multiple times. While it's also a dark game (I tend to enjoy mix of horror and comedy), there are a lot of strange fun things. For example, the only thing that can cure the new plague is Shmowder - a powder like very rare substance that no one knows how to create because the children played with pills and mashed them all together (it also nearly kills you). The game features a miracle (?) bull you can buy and a dear rat boy who's a charming little fellow among some of the most memorable casts in video games already. Sure, it's been 5 years and it's still basically a third of a video game allowing you to play as one character, but it's still a full experience and I can't wait for more.

Bayonetta
It saddens me that even the sequels to Bayo miss what made the original so special. The game is INCREDIBLY funny. Again, what can be perceived as a completely different game ends up being so over-the-top and constantly firing on all cylinders that you'll usually fall in love with it before even playing the tutorial. Every cutscene has at least one really funny moment and the story, while barely making sense, doesn't matter when it's so entertaining. Despite its appearances the game features almost no sexual humor and, of course, Bayo herself is in control which brings joy to me as someone who's sick and tired of anime jokes of "shy person gets naked" which feel very bad and gross. Instead, you have so much insane action that sexuality of the game doesn't even register. Easily my favorite intro to a game and one of my favorite endings.

Okami
I like to say that Okami is my favorite Zelda game, and it's mainly the case because when I first played it I was pretty unfamiliar with English. Nowadays if I were to play it for the first time, I'd likely get annoyed by a constantly interrupting companion. Indeed, Issun is a big issue of the game as both helper and a character, but now, being familiar with the game, I can skip the parts that I know are just fluff. A pervy bug-like person doesn't make the best first impression, but even despite him I find the game to be very funny. From absolutely incredible animations to dialogue, to weird situations (some of final boss' forms are ridiculously insane) there's plenty to laugh at, and hell, it's also a game that makes me cry sometimes. Sure, Issun could stand to shut up, but the game also has Sparrow Inn, Kaguya's farewell, and Susano who, despite being a fairly cliched coward-thinking-he's-a-hero character, does get into some wild scenarios.

Do you have any games that make you laugh? Any favorite moments to share? Share a breakdown or simply a line that makes you smile here!

Paper Mario Origami King is the last game I can remember making me laugh a lot, Olivia is such a sweet and funny sidekick alongside some great Toad zingers.

origami-king-not-a-lease-lease.jpg

Hitman 2 & 3 gave me more laughs than any other game, I think. The story and characters and everything besides the gameplay was an absolute snooze, but the sheer amount of interactive things made that a moot point. Not sure that was the intention for a lot of options, but it sure was the result.

Show me another game where a man dressed like a rodeo clown can rig a statue to crush someone, and knock them out with a Dos Equis as the statue topples onto their unconscious body, then walk away dressed as a mariachi band member like nothing happened.

You say funniest game, my mind immediately goes to The Stanley Parable

It's maybe not everyone's flavor of comedy writing but wow is it ever my kind of jam

I could take a zillion screenshots of Undertale as a conveniently-shaped argument for it being one of the funniest games ever.

Screenshot-2024-04-21-151857.png

Copy pasting my list of 10 games I consider the funniest:

1- Escape from Monkey Island (others are better adventure games but this one is the most hilarious one)
2- Saints Row 4 (Zinyak ruined Biz Markie!)
3- S&M Bowser's Inside Story
4- WarioWare Inc (the first one)
5- Grim Fandango
6- Zork the Grand Inquisitor
7- Psychonauts
8- Toejam & Earl III Mission to Earth (can we have an HD remaster of this one please?)
9- Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (this too)
10- Curse of the Monkey Island (Papapishu!)

Cel Damage, Crash Tag Team Racing, Lego City Undercover Wii U. Just three that immediately come to mind as hilarious games. Actually the Neptunia series as a whole as well. I'm really enjoying Sisters vs Sisters on Switch and I'm so excited for the Re;Birth trilogy on Switch!

All of the Sam & Max games. Funniest games I've played imo.

Portal 1 & 2 were also often funny, Stephen Merchant was great. I do think though that some of the writing feels a bit too much like "internet humour" from that time. But that could just be because the internet rode those quotes into the ground...

Portal 1 & 2 were also often funny, Stephen Merchant was great. I do think though that some of the writing feels a bit too much like "internet humour" from that time. But that could just be because the internet rode those quotes into the ground...
I was never a fan of the lemon quote, and think that fat jokes by Glados are weak (yes, it's her attempting to push buttons without understanding how to offend, but they're still a tad lazy) but Portal 2 holds up a lot and features one of the best endings of any game.

Hitman 2 & 3 gave me more laughs than any other game, I think. The story and characters and everything besides the gameplay was an absolute snooze, but the sheer amount of interactive things made that a moot point. Not sure that was the intention for a lot of options, but it sure was the result.

Show me another game where a man dressed like a rodeo clown can rig a statue to crush someone, and knock them out with a Dos Equis as the statue topples onto their unconscious body, then walk away dressed as a mariachi band member like nothing happened.
Oh if we're including tomfoolery and mischief I also have to include LOZ:TOTK. Building some awful contraption and flying it into the sky, or making a crazy fast spinning wheel to put Link on, it's all hilarious.

I recently played through Drakengard 3 and it had me in stitches sometimes... But I'm very susceptible to the kind of stupid potty humor it has πŸ˜‚

Otherwise, I think the Ace Attorney games are really funny. Even my least favorite entries in the series have moments that make me laugh.

I was really trying to rack my brain to think of an answer, but you answered for me! I can’t think of any other game that has made me laugh as much as Hitman. What that says about me I’ll leave up to my therapist.

Paper Mario Origami King is the last game I can remember making me laugh a lot, Olivia is such a sweet and funny sidekick alongside some great Toad zingers.

Origami King gave me the most laughs I had with a videogame in a long time. Also Ace Attorney has an inmense comedy dominance. Tinykin has superb fun writing as well.

Disco Elysium. Even if you don't play the protagonist as wacky as possible (with Kim as your straight man) the game is full of absurd characters and pithy writing. It's incredible it can bounce between humourous and serious on a dime.

A few of my picks are already in the thread here (Hitman, Origami King) so I’ll say Yakuza 0

When I could bowl a turkey (three strikes in a row) in bowling to win a turkey dinner, only to bowl a turkey and get a live chicken, have the cashier offer to kill and cook it for me, refuse, and instead give the chicken a name and hire that chicken to be a real estate manager? Hilarious

Sam & Max! Hit the Road and the Telltale seasons are very funny.

Also YES to Stanley Parable. The Narrator reading and reacting to negative reviews in Ultra Deluxe was πŸ˜šπŸ‘Œ

Undoubtedly Yakuza. Some of the sidequests are so incredibly bizarre and out of pocket, I get caught off guard every time.

You fight a giant Roomba for god’s sake.

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts combines the great comedic writing of the previous games with physics shenanigans. It's the perfect recipe for making dumb bullshit that will probably work, while also extending that comedy to the writing, unlike Tears of the Kingdom.

Also, just cause I finished it the other day so it's on my mind, Rise of the Triad (1994) is a very charming game with a bunch of cheesy voice acting, insane weapons, and levels that you can just tell the designers thought would be either funny or mean. Or both. Mechanically there's just a bunch of extremely weird quirks to even basic things like health pickups or elevators just because they could do it. Like Priest Porridge (the main large health pickup) heals more if you shoot it with a missile to heat it up.

Hollow Knight’s subtle sense of humor often goes underappreciated, I think.

Undertale absolutely

Disco Elysium has some of the most wrenching and catastrophically escalating humor in games, full stop

I unfortunately still think that Barkley: Shut Up & Jam Gaiden is an extremely funny game played so deadpan (and with genuinely emotional moments) that it’s unlike anything else

god I’m sure I have so many more I could list but here is a first taste

How could I possibly forget Hypnospace Outlaw?

80WOEx1.jpeg

Last edited:
Team Fortress 2 is the only FPS I can think of where people will actively assign a killbind button just to give themselves the ability to ragdoll on command. People will kill themselves in TF2 just to make the other player laugh. Because there's no real ranking system, and nothing keeps track of your wins and losses, TF2 players are largely just playing to have fun. People have also figured out how to make every class A-pose, and so far it has never been patched out. There's a ton of taunts you can get that are very funny and applicable to so many situations. The "soul" of Team Fortress 2 is in its comedy, imo.

Just, uh, make sure you turn off voice and text chat.

I’m not a big fan of newer Paper Mario games, but I’ll give them this. They’re absolutely hilarious.

Dead Rising is pretty hilarious. Though a lot of the funniness is in the gameplay.

ten minutes later complains about having to use a gun

Devil May Cry is up there for me too. I always thought this scene was underrated, Dante sounds like he's destroying a Confederate flag.

(no, I don't know why every version of this clip has to have a sound edit).

Ace Attorney and Metal Gear are also probably worth mentioning. Everything Ocelot does, whether comedy or not, is peak.

Absolutely +1 for Disco.

I love how whenever you talk to Kim, he replies with the most dry β€œyes?” in the history of dry β€œyes?”-es.

Me: does dumb shit
Kim: β€œyes?”

Me: does dumber shit

Me: does the dumbest shit that this art form has ever seen

I haven't played it in many years, but at least at the time I can say that Portal 2 was probably the funniest game I've ever played. Stuff like the 'Mantis Men' quote still get me. And "Because I'm a potato"

Also I know a lot of Borderlands humor hasn't aged super well, but I have to shout out the Borderlands 1 Armory of General Knoxx DLC - I'm not sure I've ever laughed as hard as I did at the dynamic of General Knoxx being this super tired, over it, 'oh god it's Monday again' kind of figure who has to deal with working for an Admiral who's literally a child

Oh yes I absolutely forgot Disco Elysium. The moment I saw a video of a guy blurting out "want to have fuck with me?" I knew that I needed to play a game where you're just a complete mess.
Also "Kim does not flinch. He does not flinch even a single bit. He is intensely not flinching. It takes effort."

Some of the humor has aged like milk, but, Conker's Bad Fur Day has some moments that still shine bright all these years later.

Team Fortress 2 is the only FPS I can think of where people will actively assign a killbind button just to give themselves the ability to ragdoll on command. People will kill themselves in TF2 just to make the other player laugh. Because there's no real ranking system, and nothing keeps track of your wins and losses, TF2 players are largely just playing to have fun. People have also figured out how to make every class A-pose, and so far it has never been patched out. There's a ton of taunts you can get that are very funny and applicable to so many situations. The "soul" of Team Fortress 2 is in its comedy, imo.

Just, uh, make sure you turn off voice and text chat.
Hoovy mains unite!

Oh yes I absolutely forgot Disco Elysium. The moment I saw a video of a guy blurting out "want to have fuck with me?" I knew that I needed to play a game where you're just a complete mess.
Also "Kim does not flinch. He does not flinch even a single bit. He is intensely not flinching. It takes effort."
You can die from lost morale if he raises an eyebrow at you. 10/10

so much incredible dialogue that like. can’t really be done justice unless you immerse yourself in it. one of the only times voice acting has worked for me and not been something I actively hated.

also the whole initial body removal inquiry dialogue

β€œlook man, you know, yeah”

The Secret of Monkey Island 1&2 have always been personal favorites.

Cuphead
The Binding of Isaac
EarthBound
The Messenger
Shovel Knight
Enter the Gungeon

Are some other games I consider especially humorous.

I found Paper Mario: Color Splash substantially funnier than Paper Mario: The Origami King, tbh

4b9u65t.jpeg

AkR9Eft.jpeg

iSgM5b4.jpeg

Last edited:
Yakuza is really fucking funny a lot of the time.

Recently BG3 had some bits that got a laugh out of me, talented voice actors and good mocap help with that.

I personally really enjoy the blatant parody of corporate x wrestling/sport heel propaganda in Ratchet Deadlocked.

The Yakuza games are some of the funniest I've played. The juxtaposition of the serious, hard boiled main story and the absurd, wacky side quests is what makes it so good

7 has you fighting a mutineering circus chimp piloting an excavator for example lol

Punch Out! series is very funny. Every opponent is a cartoon turned up to 11, except Mr. Sandman.

Who can forget Doc’s advice between rounds when Little Mac is getting whooped to β€œJoin the Nintendo Fun Club today!”

Another one is Dragon Age: Origins. Honestly Alistair, Morrigan, the Dog and your character have such great chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom