• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion From an aesthetic standpoint, what is your favorite Nintendo console and/or handheld?

GPKs3

Koopa
You can throw Switch and all its variations/special editions in as well since it’s a hybrid.

For me:

Spice Orange Nintendo GameCube

1914496112.jpg

I only had the Jet Black model, but I always loved this color scheme. It really made the console pop.

GBA SP Classic NES Limited Edition

37b61f4b8ad3fe61e5a200756b62c063.jpg

I do have this one(factory sealed). NES is my favorite console of all time, so combining its design elements with the sleek/compact SP was a win for me.

What are your favorites?

Honestly, for its time, you couldn't get much better than the Wii.
R.9cba91423b10e51c34059079d4abdb91

It as stylish, sleek. I love the angles, and it really felt like a huge upgrade from the GC. Honestly, it's sort of weird to think about, but the PS5 really badly tried to replicate it's inherent style.

OG Nintendo DSi is my all-time favorite. A no-frills rectangular box with a completely matte finish during a time when Nintendo was slapping gloss on everything. Even the XL had a glossy top finish.

Docking points from New Nintendo 2DS XL for the glossy top finish. Otherwise, it’s really solid design. It even addresses some of the bad design choices of the New 3DS XL (i.e. the raised bezel on the lower screen that could scratch the top screen, having to remove the back plate to access the micro SD card slot).

Because I like minimalistic design, I always liked GameCube. Consensus seems a lot kinder to it in hindsight as both the industry and consumers have embraced colorful consoles and controllers these days. “Purple lunchbox” was always a silly criticism to me; Nintendo was simply ahead of the curve. Like OP, Spice was the GOAT GameCube color.

Special shout-out to Switch because it’s almost as straightforward as console design can be despite some baffling functionality choices that were mercifully addressed with the OLED model (i.e. chintzy kickstand, no Ethernet port on the Dock). The color JoyCons really give the console more personality.

From an aesthetic standpoint, my favorite Nintendo console is the Black and Red Nintendo DS Lite. I remember bringing a looot of games to trade-in to GameStop because I needed a new DS. My phat one had its speakers busted, and I only used it with earphones.

I think I also remember buying a game for it: Megaman Star Force Dragon.

Back to the Lite: I loved it so much. Black and red is one of my favorite color combinations, but back then, it was my top favorite combination

Probably an unpopular pick, but I loooooovvvveee the look of the original 3DS! It always looked like the smoothest most clean piece of Nintendo hardware, and I love the gloss. I'm sure it would be annoying to own with fingerprints and such but. The blue and black model is just so beautiful.

1dc194ca-86f2-474a-ab66-70671dc89f77_1.056ae421231bbb7baaecbd685c1f72a8.jpeg

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg

Top 3 at number 1 the reining champ the Switch
split-cta-system

At number 2 the little lunch box the Gamecube
2560px-GameCube-Set.jpg

Last but not least the DSi XL
nintendo-dsi-xl-20100326014221697-000.jpg

Probably an unpopular pick, but I loooooovvvveee the look of the original 3DS! It always looked like the smoothest most clean piece of Nintendo hardware, and I love the gloss. I'm sure it would be annoying to own with fingerprints and such but. The blue and black model is just so beautiful.

1dc194ca-86f2-474a-ab66-70671dc89f77_1.056ae421231bbb7baaecbd685c1f72a8.jpeg

Nintendo-3DS-AquaOpen.jpg
I love the original 3DS as well. I had it in Flame Red. Looked so good!

Dsi Xl for sure but it was already named several times so I present you:

The gba sp, Pokémon Sapphire limited edition. The finish on this beauty was so, so amazing.

il_794xN.3339482971_f4mt.jpg

Japanese Super Famicom is always a pick- I like the SP for its form function though. I'm flippy!

In terms of sheer design, I think the GameCube and OG GBA are the most Nintendo Nintendo devices ever made. Doesn't matter what color, they both just scream fun. In terms of color I don't know, I like the transparent N64s and the Orange Spice GameCube, and in regards to handhelds I guess I'd say it's a tie between the OG 3DS colors including the prototype colors that we never got, and my black and blue DS Lite.

Also it's a crime we never got the lime Wii.

The OG 3DS LL in White is and always will be my favorite handheld.

The Nintendo Wii, as a 'casual' gamer', was my favorite design. So simple and yet so much you could do with it.

I always loved the different transparent color variants of the Nintendo 64.

63fd4f1d8c7cb2bb05169cdba1d878c5.jpg

I never had one of them, I just had the standard gray model, but these looked so stylish to me as a kid.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm partial to the New 3ds' SNES special edition. Its a clean color palette and a nice throwback to the company's past on one of Nintendo's best handheld consoles. Different variations for the PAL and North American versions was the cherry on top.

Gamecube, easy. To this day it still has such an interesting hyper modern design.

As far as colors go: Indigo > Spice > Platinum > Black

game-boy-micro-famicom.jpg

The Famicom edition of the GBA Micro. The NES GBA SP is a close second for Nintendo console themed special editions and certainly nothing in the DS and 3DS lineup come close.

screen-NIN603_3.jpg-large.png

The pure minimalism that is the DSi. Was almost a shame they "wasted" this look on a DS model rather than saving it for the 3DS. The new 3DS was nice, but the edges weren't as sleek and tight as the DSi's.

P.S. Handhelds are consoles. No need to separate them. That's portablist and deserves a heavy punishment.

1920px-N64-Console-Set.jpg

Weird controller aside, the Nintendo 64 has aged really gracefully I think. The older ones are trying too hard to look like "serious" technology and the later ones are this strange combo of futuristic and toy-like. Then there's Switch, which is fine but kind of lacking in character altogether. N64 has a nice balance, you wouldn't mistake it for anything other than a games console but it isn't in-your-face about it. The curving shapes are pleasant.

Switch OLED is beautiful and now iconic
SNES is my nostalgic pick.
GameBoy is iconic.

Love the Indigo GameCube the most.

Super Famicom second.

Handheld? Nintendo 3DS in Ice White/Black.

It's towards the bottom in terms of how much I actually enjoyed it, but goddam if the Wii didn't have a sleek, clean, almost futuristic design. Especially when the blue light around the disc slot was on.

The Famicom has a pretty great aesthetic/color scheme as well. Though the non-detachable controllers (with their too-short cords) is a point against it.

For portable, I dig the minimalism of the Game Boy Micro. Pair it with the Famicom skin and we have a winner.

I never had one of them, I just had the standard gray model, but these looked so stylish to me as a kid.
YOOOO HOW DID I FORGET THIS!!! First off, I think transparents are always gonna look great cuz seeing the lil boards and wires and stuff will never stop being novel and fun, but gosh, the color choices too...I wanna get a Jungle N64 STILL.

GBA SP and DS Lite are unbeatable. I also have a lot of nostalgia for the old see-through Gameboy Colour.

Was gonna post this. I actually think they're kind of ugly but I love them regardless - outrageously late '90s Y2K "we live in the lurid cyber future" vibes.

SNES is also great, and I've always loved the Gameboy Pocket and all its colour variations.

Purple GC, GBA, GBA SP and GBC. Would have been awesome if they went with purple as their main colour instead of red.

Back
Top Bottom