• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion For the Switch 2, would you prefer a brand new OS or an evolution/unification of the current OS?

For the Switch 2, would you prefer a brand new OS or an evolution/unification of the current OS?

• Brand new OS

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • Current OS

Votes: 118 67.0%

• Total voters

FernandoRocker

Piranha Plant
We all know that most companies like to chance the OS of their consoles with each new generation.

The PS3, PS4, PS5, Vita, and PSP all have completely different operating systems. The Wii, Wii U, Switch, DS, and 3DS have completely different operating systems. The Xbox, 360, and One have different operating systems.

But then Microsoft did something different and they used the same OS as the one for the Series X/S.

People these days are used to digital ecosystems, specially now with phones and tablets. People like to change their phones pretty often, and having the same OS after each upgrade is an advantage (at least in my opinion). People just log in with their accounts in their new phones and that's it: everything is there... everything is familiar and everything makes sense.

So, in my opinion it would be a good idea if the Switch 2 uses the same OS as the current Switch, and that way Nintendo has to maintain only one OS, and both systems would get the same features (system wise).

I think these days a unified ecosystem is more important than brand new features.

What do you think?

The current OS is fine, they just need to figure out whatever is going on with their website renderer because the eShop and NSO apps are slow as hell

Current. Just give me higher resolution and smoother feeling navigation of all of the features, especially eShop and NSO.

Evolution.
Where the hell are the other Themes Nintendo?

And don't take away Custom Avatars..I swear

Look, I understand that most other people are satisfied with how snappy the current OS is, and I'll agree that it just needs to be refined more to be a lot better. But a part of me genuinely believes that given how much work needs to be done on the current OS to bring it up to a minimum standard it might as well be a brand new OS.

Honestly the current OS is perfect. Snappy, clean, nothing bogging it down. Hope it stays that way.
The eShop and NSO Apps need some love though.

Has to be a brand new OS.

• Firstly, a new OS makes a new generation feel like a new generation.
  • Secondly, the current OS is shockingly bland, has no Nintendo magic to it at all and is missing basic features like gameplay tracking or themes that the Wii U and 3DS had. I legit had to hack my Switch just to get access to all the data that it DOES track, but doesn't let you see. It's absurd.
  • Thirdly, bolting on modern online features to it could be a tough ask.
  • Lastly, "but it needs to be snappy!" will no longer be a factor with the grunt of Drake behind it.

I absolutely loved the 3ds and Wii U OS's. Every time you booted them up you felt that little ping of joy. "Sweet, it's gaming time." The Switch's - while far more efficient - has been a disappointment by contrast.

EDIT: I'm including the NSO and eShop as part of the OS here. Both are bad, the NSO app in particular is awful.

EDIT 2: The comparison with phones isn't a great one because phones are used as a utility - you NEED to be able to navigate them right away. For work, for soclializing etc. Game consoles are fundamentally toys, leisure devices. That same necessity isn't there.

We don't know even if this thing will have just one screen. Could return to dual screen display, it's certainly possible. Then they'll be forced to do a new OS.

Literally all I want from a switch successor is a more powerful system with the ability to boost regular switch games. The performance on games like age of calamity rendered them unplayable for me

Just keep it as snappy and quick as this one, I honestly don’t care what they do going forward.

Add some music to it, I guess. I do miss being treated to some chill ambience.

Edit: And yeah, add themes as well.

Last edited:
The purpose of the current OS is to be as snappy and quick as possible to allow people to get straight to the games. If the next console is a handheld console hybrid like Switch, than it more or less needs the same thing, so I would prefer a evolution.

Obviously that doesn't mean they can't make it better, by like adding themes or different colors and more features. I want all of that, but above all else I want it to be quick like Switch.

I like the current OS. It’s functional and fast, I just want to see and launch games and have easy access to settings etc.

The eshop is so slow though that it actively makes buying games irritating, which feels like it defeats the purpose.

Current one, it's no comparison with any of other platforms in speed and how clean it is. Really only put a real app for the eshop instead of a webview

Just fix the eShop and it's fine. Themes and folders would be great additions too, but I don't need them.

I will genuinely be very disappointed if it uses the same OS. I want my new system to look completely different, new os, new store, new everything basically.
Buying a new console and getting the same or similar look and experience to the old one when you first turn it on is, pardon my french, fucking boring.

An evolution of the current OS would do just fine, especially if the next console is a Switch 2 and not something completely different.
Just throw in extras like themes and a more detailed activity log, refine the eShop and NSO apps, and it's all good. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
An evolution of the current OS would feel near perfect. Don't need to add much as long as its as quick and snappy as it is now.
Add folders ability to the regular tile icons (instead of the "and more" part, more default color themes and ability to purchase new game series ones through the eShop, evolution of the existing eShop to make things more easily searchable (like ability to see a ranking of the "Free" section...)

I kind of want a hybrid between the Switch OS and the 3DS/Wii U style OS. Keep the simplicity and snappiness of the current one, but inject some of the magic and charm from 2011-2016 back into it. More theme options, optional music, and better social connectivity features would go a long way in this regard.

As long as it's fast/snappy ... honestly I don't really care. I guess I wouldn't mind a new one just for the sake of feeling new. The Miiverse thing on the Wii U was kind of cool, maybe they can bring something like that back.

Current OS only needs a few changes and it's good to go. Most of not all the changes I would make would be to the eShop interface.

Feeling like most people in here are going off "User Interface = Operating System".

The OS is more than fine as it is. The UI could have some upgrades, especially a snappier web view renderer, but it's also fine.

Same OS with new features
The OS needs to be functional not bloated. The current OS is quite slick and it needs to be that fast in Switch 2.

My biggest ask is better messaging for friends and voice chat integration.
The only other thing is longer video recordings.

Any other improvements will be a bonus

I want nothing more from the OS other than more quick resume slots and faster shop. It does absolutely everything else as it needs to.

Current OS with more features please. Let me message friends and see my play time stats for starters. Eshop needs an overhaul or at least run significantly better.

yeah the OS with extra features added on top seems fine

but yeah they definitely gotta do something about that eShop stuff, I wonder how much money the eShop being so slow costs them

personally speaking it feels actively painful to use, it doesn't stop me from buying a game I already want but I never go on there just to poke around

the current os is depressingly bad. Its useless. Id prefer if they threw it in the bin and made a new one that actually works

What's so depressingly bad and useless about the current OS?
Many things.

First off i dont like how i cannot organize anything in there, they got that right with the 3ds!
Second, why is the eshop so damn slow and ugly. I mean the eshop was always ugly but at least let me change it to black.
No way of properly tracking how much i played a game. How much is " a little" and how much is "under two hours"
Why isnt there a video chat app.
Folders.
Colours. Anything.

Many things.

First off i dont like how i cannot organize anything in there, they got that right with the 3ds!
Second, why is the eshop so damn slow and ugly. I mean the eshop was always ugly but at least let me change it to black.
No way of properly tracking how much i played a game. How much is " a little" and how much is "under two hours"
Folders.
Colours. Anything.
While I do agree that the eShop should be updated to be faster everything else on your list are small grievances that don't really make the OS usless. Also you can organize through the use of Groups which I would argue are better then folders.

eshop is just an applet website, it's not part of the OS. Maybe it should be so you can have it up while running a game at the same time.
although the current eshop is using the RAM reserve for the OS and doesn't share memory with the games, it still pauses your games for you to run it.

While I do agree that the eShop should be updated to be faster everything else on your list are small grievances that don't really make the OS usless. Also you can organize through the use of Groups which I would argue are better then folders.
i dont want to move to the right until i get to the not useless aspect of the ui lmao.

Like, this isnt the first time i had a discussion about this and it always baffles me that people defend it. Why? The design has been done to death nintendo just refused to do something nice.

An evolution would be nice, add jingles when you're hovering over a game back in, add the activity log and make the eShop actually good and I'll be happy.

i dont want to move to the right until i get to the not useless aspect of the ui lmao.

Like, this isnt the first time i had a discussion about this and it always baffles me that people defend it. Why? The design has been done to death nintendo just refused to do something nice.

From booting it is literally two button presses (left+A) to get to your entire list of software, and is done in a fraction of a second, I don't know how much faster you expect them to make it.

Undervaluing Functionality Vs 'looking nice' is how you get a terrible OS like the Wii U one. Slow, clunky, and barely held together by the sheer fact that nobody bought many games on the system to begin with, meaning it doesn't have to load that much

Last edited:
From booting it is literally two button presses (left+A) to get to your entire list of software, and is done in a fraction of a second, I don't know how much faster you expect them to make it.

Undervaluing Functionality Vs 'looking nice' is how you get a terrible OS like the Wii U one. Slow, clunky, and barely held together by the sheer fact that nobody bought many games on the system to begin with, meaning it doesn't have to load that much
i think i just wont answer this anymore lol.

Then move to the left, it's very simple.

Well I'd probably phrase it more this way ...

Would I mind a better OS? No, that'd be nice.

Do I want Nintendo spending resources that could be spent on game development on an OS? No thanks.

Nintendo's not a big company staff wise, they have to be careful how they spend their resources. I know they took shit for the Wii U interface but in hindsight ... it's not like Nintendo is a Microsoft or even Sony sized company. Asking them to make some kind of amazing OS that did all the different things the Wii U was trying to do with like maybe a staff of 50 people? 75 people? Working on the OS was asking for a lot. Nintendo's not an OS company.

Last edited:
Bin it and start again.

The current OS is as barebones as it gets, so it's not like we'll be losing anything of value really.

Give me something that actually offers a Nintendo-like experience! I miss my menu music and Miis :(

Bin it and start again.

The current OS is as barebones as it gets, so it's not like we'll be losing anything of value really.

Give me something that actually offers a Nintendo-like experience! I miss my menu music and Miis :(
I want current one with add on powehhhh

Current. I love how clean it is. My PS OS looks so busy in comparison.
The only thing I would change is the speed on eshop. I actually think eshop works perfectly, again much better than PS4 shop, but it's definitely slow.

The design aesthetic of the current OS is fine, the problem is the large amount of missing features. I like the layout, hate the barebones nature.

Evolution from the current OS. To me it's clear it's being hold back, and Nintendo is trying to keep it as light as possible. With a new Switch and way better horsepower, they will be able to implement everything they want.

The Wii, Wii U, Switch, DS, and 3DS have completely different operating systems
Do they? Even if they're all different internally, they all follow the same channel concept and have the same UI base design, just adapted to the input at hand. They're all OSes of the same family of systems, like for example MIUI for Xiaomi phones.

Last edited:
Do they? Even if they're all different internally, they all follow the same channel concept and have the same UI base design, just adapted to the input at hand. They're all OSes of the same family of systems, like for example MIUI for Xiaomi phones.

Codewise, they all share next to nothing in common; despite having similar design philosophies behind them. Nothing he said is wrong.

And that's the norm when moving from console to console. Xbox Series is the only time where an existing console OS has been outright reused from a past machine.

Last edited:
Current OS is fine but can we at least have some catchy tunes while we browse the eShop
Something super-chill like the GameCube menu music would be nice (which is just the Famicom Disk System boot music slowed down 16x)
I want a new os that feels like Nintendo, current one doesn’t feel like Nintendo, function is fine though
The entire design ethos of the Horizon microkernel OS is to be unobtrusively lightweight, so as many available resources are given to the games as possible while it operates in the background. That feels pretty damn Nintendo to me, just not in the fun/cute way. And I sincerely appreciate that design ethos above stuff like WaraWara Plaza. Every time.

Many things.

Folders.
Colours. Anything.

...you want a video chat app in a console without a camera?

Same OS, heavily modified. Nintendo's wifi drivers for the switch fucking suck ass, to the point people running android on modded switches are getting higher throughput than the stock OS for crying out loud. And let's not even talk about the vomit-inducing bluetooth audio implementation.

The eshop app being shitty has nothing to do with the OS but the app's optimization itself.

Back
Top Bottom