• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Fire Emblem Engage |ST| Your Hidden Desire to Have Neon Joy-Con-Coloured Hair. Mark spoilers!

lmao what the fuck? I just made a meal and without warning it was so bad it reduced every stat. I get not giving a bonus but hamstringing three of my units in the next fight is a little much.

lmao what the fuck? I just made a meal and without warning it was so bad it reduced every stat. I get not giving a bonus but hamstringing three of my units in the next fight is a little much.
LMAO. I guess IS saw everyone abusing the hell out of meals in Three Houses and decided to implement a risk factor.

Yeah...haven't really found much of a use for Boucheron either. I know that the roster is pretty huge so I can't imagine sticking with him. Etie has been MVP for me a few times just because it's so nice to have an archer pick off weak foes.

Yeah there’s so many characters that I find it hard to find a place for average infantry units that don’t do anything better than anyone else. Boucheron was the first unit I stuck on the subs bench.

Can't speak for anyone on lower difficulties, but I've found that Boucher on as the first unit that allows chain attacks when he's nearby for extra damage is incredibly important for the start of maddening to get through some of the bosses on one turn (since you basically have to deal two full hp bars of damage to very high stat enemies...)

I think I'm probably going to bench him now, but that's kind of a running issue I've got so far, having just finished chapter 8 or 9, that you just keep getting handed units that are basically the ones you've already got but with better stats.

LMAO. I guess IS saw everyone abusing the hell out of meals in Three Houses and decided to implement a risk factor.
In 3H wasn’t it set so you could only benefit from one meal, so any subsequent ones don’t do anything or overwrote it? It also required you to use a weekend and an activity point to be able to do it.

I’d be fine with this not giving bonuses and saying “that was your one shot, better luck next time”, but randomly punishing the player stinks and is another reason I can’t stand this hub. It’s lifeless, poorly laid out, and the activities are either meaningless or they can make life harder. Don’t even get me started on the arena always pitting my mid units against Vander.

I’m considering skipping it except for the market (why risk it negatively affecting the part of the game I enjoy?), and I’m already tuning out during story scenes - funny that I’m the part of the audience they put some paltry social stuff in for and who values story and I’d rather ignore them both now. Maybe this was their plan all along! :unsure:

Time for a quick skirmish
Skirmishes are 3 levels above my highest levelled units! I feel like I’d be better going into the story map lol. What a mess.

Can't speak for anyone on lower difficulties, but I've found that Boucher on as the first unit that allows chain attacks when he's nearby for extra damage is incredibly important for the start of maddening to get through some of the bosses on one turn (since you basically have to deal two full hp bars of damage to very high stat enemies...)

I think I'm probably going to bench him now, but that's kind of a running issue I've got so far, having just finished chapter 8 or 9, that you just keep getting handed units that are basically the ones you've already got but with better stats.
Yeah it’s one of the games biggest flaws, Bassicalt everyone from Firene, Lythos and Brodia get ridiculously power crept by mid and lategame units

Only one from them that doesn’t is Louis, though there was a unit with potential to power-creep I just never checked them out, I’m actually gonna do that before the next chapter.

Using Jean on Maddening where stat growths are fixed:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to see what crazy stat ups he gets"

His first level up is +1 HP. That's it. His second level up is +1 to everything else.

IS straight-up trolling here. Well played.

Trying to do the higher level skirmish (why do they work this way lol) to reset the stat debuffs from cooking before going into the next story map and it’s just irritating, everyone keeps missing their hits and taking crits. And because it’s not a story map I’m just replaying an old map with no sense of it meaning anything. My patience is wearing thin.

I’m considering going back to my Fates replay of all things to cool off lol.

Using Jean on Maddening where stat growths are fixed:

"Oh boy, I can't wait to see what crazy stat ups he gets"

His first level up is +1 HP. That's it. His second level up is +1 to everything else.

IS straight-up trolling here. Well played.
Oh yeah I grinded out a level on his paralogue just to see and laughed out loud when I saw this. Perfectly good doctor for the bench.

Double post but
I honestly believe "wait till level 20 to promote" is on a similar tier of of bad advice for FE beginners as "bench your Jeigan asap". It's advice from an era where people spent more time theory crafting what units were good at the end of the game instead of actually playing the game. That's not to say promote everyone at level 10 asap, just don't hurt yourself in the mid game with a bunch of level 15-18 unpromoted units when the game is throwing tons of promoted enemies at you.
I can now confirm that waiting til 20 is a bad idea in this game too. Base classes seem to just be trial periods and its best to promote asap. Advanced classes are the only ones that level up into skills, second sealing resets your level to 1 and there's a hidden total level that slows down your exp gain over time.

Double post but

I can now confirm that waiting til 20 is a bad idea in this game too. Base classes seem to just be trial periods and its best to promote asap. Advanced classes are the only ones that level up into skills, second sealing resets your level to 1 and there's a hidden total level that slows down your exp gain over time.
The only thing holding me back from promoting most of my army is the lack of master seals 🫠

No reason to do skirmishes on normal as far as I can see.
Double post but

Yeah I never do that haha. I can't help but promote them.

I do bench the Jeigan for early game. Only cause it's wasteful to kill an enemy unit and get very little xp. If I have to bring him along I'll rarely use him to kill. I'll stick a weaker weapon on him to hurt an enemy unit so a weaker unit could easily kill the unit for that xp. But I bench them to a point. There are factors depending on the map and how it wants you to split your forces too. It's not a blanket benching.

Double post but

I haven't looked for Engage to see if it is the same as it used to be, so this is all speculation, but this 'hidden total level' mechanic isn't new, and I'm not sure yet if you're right about rushing to seal up being optimal.

Previously, only promoting (added a flat+20 to your level) or using a second seal (in awakening, added half your level at the time of second sealing) increases your hidden internal total level that gets added to the displayed level, so if it's the same as it used to be, using the master seals preemptively is going to slash the amount of exp you earn. It's also affected by how much access you actually get to second seals, which is still limited by the point I'm at anyway.

I'd guess the optimal answer is still to put it off as long as possible. Once it seems like you can't win a chapter, sure, it's not going to ruin anything probably to upgrade someone early, but it's a very delicate balancing act between exp and kills.

(It also doesn't help that the game keeps throwing units that are better than the ones you already have at you, at this point I'd probably only safely say you can use a master seal on Louie and Alear if they use a seal, haven't checked.)

I haven't looked for Engage to see if it is the same as it used to be, so this is all speculation, but this 'hidden total level' mechanic isn't new, and I'm not sure yet if you're right about rushing to seal up being optimal.

Previously, only promoting (added a flat+20 to your level) or using a second seal (in awakening, added half your level at the time of second sealing) increases your hidden internal total level that gets added to the displayed level, so if it's the same as it used to be, using the master seals preemptively is going to slash the amount of exp you earn. It's also affected by how much access you actually get to second seals, which is still limited by the point I'm at anyway.

I'd guess the optimal answer is still to put it off as long as possible. Once it seems like you can't win a chapter, sure, it's not going to ruin anything probably to upgrade someone early, but it's a very delicate balancing act between exp and kills.

(It also doesn't help that the game keeps throwing units that are better than the ones you already have at you, at this point I'd probably only safely say you can use a master seal on Louie and Alear if they use a seal, haven't checked.)
I can't verify since I haven't promoted yet, but from what I've read, there is no flat leveling added to the value. For instance, Vander is coded as level 15 internally. I also don't know about second sealing either, but I'm willing to agree with your speculation there.

Otherwise, I still think promoting important units when you can is better in the long run. I'll reemphasize important because you are also definitely right about the game being generous with better and better units.

Funny thing: The Radiant Dawn Bond Rings are almost entirely characters that debuted in Path of Radiance. The only RD-specific character is Nailah. The vast majority of the characters are also either royalty or in Sothe's case tied closely to Micaiah.

And then there's Nephenee, the spear goddess, in place of Pelleas and the entire Dawn Brigade. Absolute win!

Have managed to play up to Chapter 3. I really love how the game looks, it's a massive improvement over the graphics in Three Houses, even if Vander's model is a little weird.

I've played too little to really gauge the gameplay but it seems promising so far. I like how snappy everything is.

Does this game have a fast-forward button for combat animations? I saw someone speed up the animations in a let's play but I've pressed nearly every button during combats and the only thing I've discovered is that pressing B skips the battle entirely

Does this game have a fast-forward button for combat animations? I saw someone speed up the animations in a let's play but I've pressed nearly every button during combats and the only thing I've discovered is that pressing B skips the battle entirely
You can turn off animations in the settings if thats what you mean

Holding A seems to do that for me.

I have obtained the S rank Olwen bond ring and will now be solving all of my issues, both in the game and in real life, by doubling with a forged and engraved Thunder tome.

Another combat mechanic I like- great weapons doing knockback and break, at a cost of not striking first and no counters. It’s not always useful but it’s cool and looks great when the right situation arises- manipulating and moving enemy troops around so Sigurd’s emblem can trample them for example.

I'm still early on - just finished Chapter 8 - but so far Engage is giving me big Binding Blade/Awakening vibes (with a little bit of Heroes sprinkled in.) Not my favorite style of FE, but I am enjoying it so far.

Quick question though, do the DLC levels scale to where you're at in the story or are they static? I'm not able to get the season pass for a bit, but I'm unsure if I should take it slow until I can or not.

You need to hold down the A button to speed up animations.

Decided to go with Malear and have played up until and including chapter 6. Having a great time so far, the engage mechanic is quite, uh-um, engaging.

The game is massively trolling me with the stat ups. I don’t really like them, but not only are the wonder twins some of my highest stat-ed units, I think that Flamme is literally my highest number unit. She’s gotten three straight level ups with 6-7 points each.

I'm enjoying the strategy in the game. Definitely a lot more variety of how to go about battles and whatnot. Something that was missing from 3H. Still looking for a difference in end battle conditions.

On chapter 9 on hard. Game is challenging having units advancing then retreating but it's very enjoyable.

I think I may be the only person who likes Clanne and Framme

Yeah the "omg protagonist you're the greatest thing since sliced bread" shtick is generally something I find annoying but those two are just so over the top with it that it loops back into being endearing

Yeah the "omg protagonist you're the greatest thing since sliced bread" shtick is generally something I find annoying but those two are just so over the top with it that it loops back into being endearing
The twins are hilarious. They're so genuinely infatuated with Alear in such an over the top way that I love it.

Chloe is a pretty good early unit promote, her only competition has a pretty distinct weakness compared to her so it's safe to master seal her on Maddening. Alcryst and Citrine are workable too but they do have more competition. Poor Lapis gets immediately powercrept though.

Everytime time I hear Clanne talk in adoration

103148.gif

Anyone else notice that if you bench units for too long then they ask for you to let them fight again? I have’s used the twins for a while and Framme goes “Not being by your side is the worst!” while poor Clanne goes “If you let me join you I promise I’ll try really hard 🥺”. They’re really trying to guilt trip me huh?

Anyone else notice that if you bench units for too long then they ask for you to let them fight again? I have’s used the twins for a while and Framme goes “Not being by your side is the worst!” while poor Clanne goes “If you let me join you I promise I’ll try really hard 🥺”. They’re really trying to guilt trip me huh?
Aw that’s quite sweet :)

Quite liking the boss units having multiple HP bars, which also act as a cap on how much damage they can take in one combat round. Makes them more dangerous, especially when they tend to roam around more too.

Bouch has been fine for me tbh. It's fun tactically placing him in a way so that he'll pitch in for extra chain damage on multiple enemies in the same turn. There does seem to be a lot of units in this game though so I'm not sure how long I'll actually stick with him. I'm kind of curious how many units people are actively using on their play throughs? I'm only on chapter 8 or so.

I’m kinda dreading the next few chapters, mostly because I know how many units are gonna get dumped on me in a very short period of time. Engage already has fairly low deployment, makes it tough to keep everyone relevant.

IS chose the right Corrin
I kind of wish IS had taken a page from Super Robot Wars T's book. Super Robot Wars T has the main characters from SRW V and X cross over into the T universe, and like many modern games V & X let you pick between a male and female character. Right before you meet up with the protagonists of V or X, the game asks you a question like (applying this to FE) "if I wrote story about a child that was born to one family and raised by another and has to pick between the two, would it make more sense for that child to be a boy or girl?". The player's answer then tweaks the battle & story scenes so that the player gets to have their chosen version of the character. They could have done something similar with the EDC emblem band though I get the argument for having all 3 as a joint system.

Finally got my Divine Edition copy. I love that all the cards have the art from their respective artist (Celica being the odd one, she had the Hidari art). The artbook has some scenes from the game and even as drafts they looks great.

Super early on, as was said before the colors pop on the OLED, but more so that shade of red is great.

I don't hate them, exactly, I just find Framme in particular to be pretty annoying. So the game is punishing me by making her my best unit as penance.

I’m kinda dreading the next few chapters, mostly because I know how many units are gonna get dumped on me in a very short period of time. Engage already has fairly low deployment, makes it tough to keep everyone relevant.
Yeah I'm already starting to feel like I'm swimming in units and am lacking space to fit them in, and I know it's only going to get a lot worse. Is this normal in most FE games? I feel like in Three Houses unless you do a ton of recruiting (which I did very little) you mostly just have your house + the teachers and that's kinda... it?

Also doesn't help that the game keeps making me only choose like 8 or 9 people in a map, feels quite low

I just spent 2 hours banging my head against Chapter 21. Turns out playing defensively is the wrong move on that map.

At least I got Alear killed at the end so I could keep my earned experience, basically turned it into a very painful grinding session.

Yeah I'm already starting to feel like I'm swimming in units and am lacking space to fit them in, and I know it's only going to get a lot worse. Is this normal in most FE games? I feel like in Three Houses unless you do a ton of recruiting (which I did very little) you mostly just have your house + the teachers and that's kinda... it?

Also doesn't help that the game keeps making me only choose like 8 or 9 people in a map, feels quite low

Yes, there have usually been around 30-40 units in recent Fire Emblem games. Keep in mind it needs to be balanced around folks playing with permadeath on, so they don't want to give you too few.

This is part of why longtime fans do so many playthroughs, you can't use them all in just one.

Last edited:
I just spent 2 hours banging my head against Chapter 21. Turns out playing defensively is the wrong move on that map.

At least I got Alear killed at the end so I could keep my earned experience, basically turned it into a very painful grinding session.

Yes, there have usually been around 30-40 units in recent Fire Emblem games. Keep in mind it needs to be balanced around folks playing with permadeath on, so they don't want to give you too few.

This is part of why longtime fans do so many playthroughs, you can't use them all in just one.
Wait, you keep the experience if Alear is killed?

Is the game like really REALLY hard or is it just me? Like I played all of the past few Fire Emblem games on Normal Casual without too much issue barring Conquest, but this game is tearing me to shreds. Like why do skirmish battles have like 50 enemies? Not even most story battles have that many? I’m only on chapter 15 and the game thinks my units should all be lvl 19. Huh??????

Did they even test this game for balancing purposes? Maybe they did but only for hard and maddening and left normal in the incredibly frustrating state it’s in. Because I’m not really having fun anymore, and that sucks because I was really hyped for this game.

Is the game like really REALLY hard or is it just me? Like I played all of the past few Fire Emblem games on Normal Casual without too much issue barring Conquest, but this game is tearing me to shreds. Like why do skirmish battles have like 50 enemies? Not even most story battles have that many? I’m only on chapter 15 and the game thinks my units should all be lvl 19. Huh??????

Did they even test this game for balancing purposes? Maybe they did but only for hard and maddening and left normal in the incredibly frustrating state it’s in. Because I’m not really having fun anymore, and that sucks because I was really hyped for this game.
Skirmishes are tougher, I've only had one so far but since I don't have effective knife-counters, the thieves were a pain in the butt. The other day I read someone claiming they got a map full of flying units lol Kind of a wild change after the bluff battles in Three Houses.

Back
Top Bottom