• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Finally. Dragon's Dogma 2 announced.

That's going to be the "game that will sell millions out by/before March 2024" they've been talking about.

Seems MH6/Dragon's Dogma speculation was a miscommunication: DD2 is the game that might come out around March '24, and MH6 was the "unannounced series game" Capcom mentioned that wasn't the same thing.

March would be great. I first played Dragon's Dogma May 2019, it'll be almost 5 years since I took my first steps towards Gran Soren :)

Last edited:
Seems MH6/Dragon's Dogma speculation was a miscommunication: DD2 is the game that might come out around March '24, and MH6 was the "unannounced series game" Capcom mentioned that wasn't the same thing.
The miscommunication likely just boils down to something even simpler. As aevanko points out:

When it's just an "undisclosed" release, it just means something that didn't have an actual date attached. Which technically, has been Dragon's Dogma 2's lot in life for the time being (the Saudi and PEGI things not-withstanding).

So, sorry to my MH6 hopefuls, my Rockman Taisen warriors and whatever, but the simplest answer is indeed the right one here.

Let Itsuno and DD2 have their time, for now!

I’d really hoped that this game would be coming out for Switch 2 and after its launch. I played DD1 on Switch and it was just perfect.

I can always wait. I do have a Series X but I think it’s going to depend on what else is going on when this drops.

I’d really hoped that this game would be coming out for Switch 2 and after its launch. I played DD1 on Switch and it was just perfect.

I can always wait. I do have a Series X but I think it’s going to depend on what else is going on when this drops.

I think it had a good chance to come on Switch successor. Just a hunch.

I think it had a good chance to come on Switch successor. Just a hunch.

Not that I don’t think it’ll come. Just a shame I have to ignore the game’s launch to wait for a hypothetical Switch 2 version.

Wouldn’t be the first time I waited - had a PS4 Pro and still readily waited on DQXIS on Switch. Hope we see a port within the year, as opposed to years later.

Not that I don’t think it’ll come. Just a shame I have to ignore the game’s launch to wait for a hypothetical Switch 2 version.

Wouldn’t be the first time I waited - had a PS4 Pro and still readily waited on DQXIS on Switch. Hope we see a port within the year, as opposed to years later.

Story of my life, waiting for games because I have a chance of actually playing/ finishing them on the go. Sometimes it’s worth the wait because you get the definitive package.

The miscommunication likely just boils down to something even simpler. As aevanko points out:

When it's just an "undisclosed" release, it just means something that didn't have an actual date attached. Which technically, has been Dragon's Dogma 2's lot in life for the time being (the Saudi and PEGI things not-withstanding).

So, sorry to my MH6 hopefuls, my Rockman Taisen warriors and whatever, but the simplest answer is indeed the right one here.

Let Itsuno and DD2 have their time, for now!

I was told the word was mihappyou which means unnannounced. Mikoukai would be undisclosed. which is not the word they used from what I heard. can someone link the actual thing.

So who's excited for tonight's showcase?

So who's excited for tonight's showcase?

Ill_Be_There_No_Matter_What.png

Granted, I don't need to see anymore. But any appearance of a monk type vocation, or return of the alchemist from DDO would just make me so happy!

Ill_Be_There_No_Matter_What.png

Granted, I don't need to see anymore. But any appearance of a monk type vocation, or return of the alchemist from DDO would just make me so happy!
Yeah, I just need a release date, anything else would be gravy.

Poor Itsuno.

But whatever, nice to get confirmation of when we can experience his next PEAK.

I still marvel st how amazing it looks in general. Super excited for this!

Caught up with the showcase, it looks really good but I would like some more information on towns, quests and the story.

This game is weird because it was in development forever and forever, but looks super unambitious and low budget.

Kind of Starfield esque in how dated it seems despite how long it was in development.

Like Starfield (and KH3 too though KH3 had other areas that seemed big budget), the biggest issue is that the game seems to have a large story focus, but the story seems incredibly bad, with the worst cutscene direction and VA direction possible.

Missed the showcase ... but given it's out in about 4 months, i might as well go in blind.

The game is a day one purchase no matter what.

Only disappointment is the lack of a collector's edition for EU :(

Capcom's on a run with EU for a while now...

Yeah...Mystic Spearhead was a vacation I had my eye on since its reveal, and this only helps make its case for a first playthrough!

This game is weird because it was in development forever and forever, but looks super unambitious and low budget.

Kind of Starfield esque in how dated it seems despite how long it was in development.

Like Starfield (and KH3 too though KH3 had other areas that seemed big budget), the biggest issue is that the game seems to have a large story focus, but the story seems incredibly bad, with the worst cutscene direction and VA direction possible.
You'd probably do better to compare this to Itsuno's other series, Devil May Cry.

Significantly upgraded iteration that builds upon the past game, the story and its characters will be serviceable, combat looks amazing and the overall vibe seems to be that it'll finish the business they didn't really get to accomplish before.

Which bodes especially well for Dragon's Dogma 2, because there was, infamously, a LOT they didn't get to do more than a decade ago. ("Possible" spoilers for a hint of what they may do this time around, I guess.)

Is this really the game Itsuno always wanted to do when it's a story-heavy fantasy game with cutscenes and VA that look like they're from the PS2 (and not a good PS2 RPG).

So close to the prior game in terms of... everything while not having the money to actually execute the vision that well is a very weird combo. It just looks like a very cheap remake.

Dragon's Dogma
story-heavy

Imma stop you right there, chief.

DD has quite a bit of interesting lore, and the characters you meet along the way, too, can have interesting/fun arcs.

But even accounting for "the twist" that occurs, I would not say at all that DD had much of a story. In the same way that DMC doesn't have much of a story. Or that no MH game has much of a story. If that's what you're after, then I feel safe in saying you'll inevitably be disappointed with Dragon's Dogma 2.

The combat/physics sandbox, huge boss encounters and moment-to-moment gameplay are the main draws here, and that's on full display with the post-showcase with Kit, Krysta and SuperRAD.

I don't think the colossus area looked super polish but at least previous gameplay looked pretty good visually to me, to the point where it seemed like one of the best RE Engine showcases in a while. The environmental detail particularly at long ranges is pretty impressive, especially with it having more to handle than something like Rise to boot.

It wasn't in development for long, Itsuno's team makes Devil May Cry. It's only been in development since around 2019.

I haven't caught up with the showcase yet (just started it) but this is a weird thing to say about Dragon's Dogma. Dragon's Dogma is not a story centric series at all, lol.

I do agree the fact that they haven't seemed to improve the story or cutscenes and that a lot of the it looks so similar to 1 is definitely a weird direction to go, but they actually have shown a decent amount of new monsters and classes, so I'm not sure if it's just the marketing being weird. To be fair, people like the bad voice acting in Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma is:

• A servicable plot (hey it's better than FE Engage ones!)
  • A near unlimited source of memes
  • Gameplay that's simply fun
and most importantly:

Lots of jaaaaaaaank that makes a huge part of it's charm

If DD2 is the same, but in bigger, i'm already satisfied. ^^

Locales look nice!

Dragon's Dogma is:

• A servicable plot (hey it's better than FE Engage ones!)
  • A near unlimited source of memes
  • Gameplay that's simply fun
and most importantly:

Lots of jaaaaaaaank that makes a huge part of it's charm

If DD2 is the same, but in bigger, i'm already satisfied. ^^
Engage strays?

hqdefault.jpg

IGN unveils 18 minutes of gameplay footage for Dragon's Dogma 2 on IGN first. Officially starting their month long coverage of the title!

We're kicking off January's IGN First for Dragon's Dogma 2 with 18 minutes of gameplay footage covering the Fighter, Thief, Warrior, and Sorcerer vocations. Stay tuned all throughout January for a variety of interviews, reveals, deep dives, and much more as our month long coverage of Dragon's Dogma 2 continues.

Peak at the character creator, AKA where I will spend 2 hours at the start of the game (still not sure whether to remake my old Arisen or someone new)

Paid PS Plus/Xbox Live wasn't required for pawn sharing and online Ur-Dragon (i.e., all the online features) in Dragon's Dogma 1/Dark Arisen. Hopefully that's maintained in the sequel, but do we have any indication that anything is locked behind paid services this time around?

IGN continues their monthly overview of the game with a demonstration of the new Trickster vocation.

“A vocation exclusive to the Arisen, the Trickster can conjure illusions through the smoke created by its unique weapon, the Censer,” reads the vocation’s description on the Dragon’s Dogma II official website. “Tricksters can use illusions to deceive enemies into fighting against their own. They also have the ability to temporarily increase the power of Pawns beyond their limits.”

If you want to play a class that embodies the basics of a summoner, but with looney toons antics hilarity included, this might be the vocation for you!

Another day, and another delightful update!

Optional content in action-rpgs like this is always good, even better when it's unique boss monsters like this! Just peep the vid for more! Itsuno and co. proving again that they understand the assignment.

And some bonus content!

After Team Ninja ruling the roost with one of the best char creators in the biz (Nioh 2, Wo Long, etc.), it's great to see Capcom come through with a creator that already puts their previous efforts in MHRise and SF6 to shame.

You customize your/your pawn's teeth, for crying out loud!

Itsuno: "Travel is boring? … It’s only an issue because your game is boring.”

He's right, but DD1 suffered from bad/boring design in parts, too. Let's see how DD2 handles it.

And here we are! Yesterday's State of Play provided us with another tasty update. Tomorrow should be another busy day as more previews start pouring in.

So, what was on display this time around was a new Vocation named "Warfarer". This new class is basically akin to the "Onion Knight" and "Freelancer" classes over in Final Fantasy, where you get more out of the class by putting in time in the other Vocations will benefit you in Warfarer, because you can mix and match skills and spells as you like...albeit with lower base stats compared to the "pure jobs". I think this is more than worth the price of admission to make up for the loss of classes like Strider, not to mention whatever else your imagination may cook up!

Other details that were shared on the website relate to such things like the "Dragonsplague" and the mysterious dragon that was shown in the trailer!
GFOGNP5WwAAALUz

GFOGNyXXkAA9st4

An interesting snarl for risk-reward when it comes to hiring out Pawns? Might these corrupted Pawns eventually turn into these "plague dragons" that you have to fight against? Can even your own Pawn that serves at your side be corrupted in this way? Your guess is as good as mine!

Finally, the website has a few profiles on "Vocation Maisters", who are the masters of their respective Vocation, and will even hook you up with spells/techniques if you complete their quests.

kEmKvR8.png

What's this? Not one, but TWO cool character designs for black men in MY medieval fantasy game!? You and your team spoil me, Itsuno-san! Way to kick of Black History Month!

Hopefully, I or someone else will upload those previews and impressions as they come in!

I've been replaying the original and I'm honestly unsure what DD2 is going to feel like without all the jank. It's part of the DD1 experience, and it's going to feel weird if this game is actually finished and runs well lmao.

The only qualm I have is that...they really should have put us out of our misery once Warfarer was announced and confirmed that was the last vocation for the base game/right now.

Why drag it out?

I'm playing Street Fighter 6 right now and damn if Dragon's Dogma 2 even ends up being a fraction as good then we'll really be in for a treat. We really are living in some kind of golden era of Capcom 🥹 Excited to see how they might fuck it up in the next few years

Time for a review thread? I'm too lazy busy to run it myself. Looks about as promising as expected!

Time for a review thread? I'm too lazy busy to run it myself. Looks about as promising as expected!
I'm about to go to bed sorry 😅 Maybe we can just keep it in here for now.

Speaking of which has someone put their hand up for a full DD2 thread? I will if not.

Back
Top Bottom