• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Finally. Dragon's Dogma 2 announced.

TreIII

A Kool Kartoon
Founder
Pronouns
he/him

10 years was a long time to wait. And even though it may be a while longer before we get any footage...this was already enough to get THE WIND PUSHING ME AGAIN.

i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

While great news and I enjoyed a lot the stream, that was a weird way to announce it.
Obviously, they weren't ready to show off anything. Not even a CG teaser.

Would I have loved to get a glimpse of RE Engine Grigori (or his successor) now? Sure. But at least we finally got SOMETHING.

At long last we know it for sure, hope we see it sometime later this year.

It is 2 AM and I should go to sleep, but what if I wake up tomorrow and it was just a dream.

Announced for no platforms. Nobody will get to play it.

Hhaha

Well, considering that it will be a 2025 title, going by this (empty) reveal..you can assume that it won't be a Switch game, despite the RE Engine Switch version being a thing

There was 0 reason to delay this announcement from their showcase.

What a great thing to wake up to, LET'S FREAKING GOOOOO

It's also funny comparing this to the super smooth, corporate-polished Overwatch 2 presentation. I caught up with them back-to-back when I got up and this felt so much more genuine and interesting lol.

Shout-out to the folks who swore this wasn’t coming and that Capcom was just celebrating the anniversary for good vibes lol

Someone convince me to impulse buy this for $10 on sale on the eshop even though the backlog is huge!
The combat is really fun and the world is interesting to explore. The best part is the Pawn system where you create not just your character, but your pawn who is your constant companion. You can recruit other peoples pawns which is cool and fosters some community.

Other things: when it gets dark out it’s super dark which is unusual and scary. You can climb on giant monsters shadow of the colossus style which is pretty cool. The normal ending is equal parts epic and goofily amusing.

Looking forward to it. There is a LOT to improve in a sequel to Dragon’s Dogma, but the potential is there for sure.

The combat is really fun and the world is interesting to explore. The best part is the Pawn system where you create not just your character, but your pawn who is your constant companion. You can recruit other peoples pawns which is cool and fosters some community.

Other things: when it gets dark out it’s super dark which is unusual and scary. You can climb on giant monsters shadow of the colossus style which is pretty cool. The normal ending is equal parts epic and goofily amusing.
How big is the world? Multiple towns to move onto, or one central home base?

How big is the world? Multiple towns to move onto, or one central home base?
It’s more handcrafted than what you might expect hearing open world. It’s just two towns from what I remember. The rest is treacherous countryside.

Probably unpopular opinion, but I hope they take more from the base game than Dark Arisen.

Dark Arisen was too tough for me, and felt completely different from the over-world.

What a strange game that was. It had good combat and interesting systems, but the world, the atmosphere... Felt so off. I couldn't get past the first 5 hours.

I didn't like the first one. The traversal was so slow and painful with all the pawns'lines repeating over and over.
Tried to love it, really tried, but in the end I just gave up.

This has been a long time coming, and I am glad it finally happened. Now we have to wait a long time probably...

What a strange game that was. It had good combat and interesting systems, but the world, the atmosphere... Felt so off. I couldn't get past the first 5 hours.
Oh yeah the world's aura is really really weird and eerie.
It is part of the charm, it clearly isn't a game for everyone.

Dragon's Dogma on the RE Engine...that's some good shit right there

Expected it to show up at the earlier Capcom stream before I found out about the anniversary event. JPG announcements suck but I trust in Itsuno. This is gonna be something special.

Loved the stream, Itsuno's enthusiasm is contagious.

I'm also really glad they highlighted the grabbing/throwing mechanic as one of the defining systems of the game, i was afraid it was going to get cut but looks like it's not going anywhere.

Nice. probably won't release until 2024 at the earliest but if it manages to launch the same year as MH6 then that would be cool.

I just picked up Dark Arisen on PS5 for less than 4 quid. Looks like it's on sale across platforms and regions? Not sure when I'll be able to get around to it with other games but I'm looking forward to it.

Time for a classic MS Paint meme from years ago. The magic system IS really crazy at the high ranks.

tumblr_naq6qf3FJu1s57movo1_540.jpg

I loved the combat and style of the first game but for some reason and I can't quite put my finger on why....I just couldn't finish it back then. I think its a combination of multiple reasons.

Maybe I have to revisit it again. The sequel could be potentially be amazing if they iron out some things like more intuitive fast traveling and a wider array of activities in the open world.

Really excited about the possibilities.

I believe DD1 is the best ARPG, over games like Dark Souls or anything else.

The interaction with monsters is better than all other games.
I really like being able to grab and climb onto the neck of a Hydra and cut its head off. Or gouge a dragon’s heart with your sword.
I hope they further develop the combat in this one.

I had initially played the first on PS3, and I liked it...but did not finish it. Pretty sure I got close though.

I got it again on Switch, and was hooked like I did not expect. This time, I would go on to do several runs and builds. Needless to say...this news excites me very much, despite how far off it must be.

press have been given access to preview builds of the game thanks to the Tokyo Game Show.

My big takeaway after playing an hour of Dragon’s Dogma 2 is that Capcom is doubling down on everything that made Dragon’s Dogma so unique, with a big focus on refining and polishing those elements to a shine. And in that regard, they’re succeeding. Pawns do everything that they did in the first game, but their contributions to both combat and navigation are more immediately noticeable. Melee combat feels more impactful and weighty, and exploration through its now seamless open world feels equal parts rewarding and dangerous.

new runescape lookin’ good

I will unashamedly port beg - please be a Switch 2 game as well. I really enjoyed DD1 (Dark Arisen less so) on Switch.

Every time I look at this game I get impressed with the visuals all over again. The first time they showed it I thought it looked kind of bad for a next gen game but the more we see of it the better it looks. I almost want to say it's the first real RE Engine showcase since Village ... though some parts of the game like faces and some texture pop-in can look rough. Still, the environments look great!

That being said, I would be a little disappointed if this does end up feeling like Dragon's Dogma 1.5. For me Dragon's Dogma was a game that I really liked, I'd even consider it great, but on my playthrough a lot of the selling points for it didn't really come through. Its appeal is almost similar to a Proto-Breath of the Wild, just with the improvisation going to RPG elements as well as physics rather than being entirely physics based. But in my playthrough, the fact that I played as a small twink mage/assassin didn't really ever seem to matter, and if it did I wouldn't have been able to tell without starting another playthrough. My pawns never threw me up in the air or anything like that. The pawn system in general was weird and while it had a lot of charm to it, the fact that it straddled the line between feeling like co-op and feeling like actual fleshed out NPC characters was ... bizarre. Probably the worst thing imo tho was that the class system felt like it didn't really incentivize making specific builds, I'm fine with games where you can change classes on the fly I guess but it seemed sort of antithetical to how choices in the rest of the game were suppposed to matter. Not to mention, most classes ended up just feeling downright better than other ones, like how Assassin is just straight up the best melee class around. I would have thought the first things to do in a Dragon's Dogma sequel would be to make a better class system, make pawns more unique, make a better story, and add co-op maybe. The classes seem slightly rebalanced, the pawns are slightly more alive, but for the most part none of that seems to be happening.

Still really excited to get this game though, I'm excited to see how the best developer in the world Capcom makes an open world game in 2023. Also really would like for this to become a mainstay franchise, Itsuno should be able to do what he wants and he seems way more invested in Dragon's Dogma than other projects nowadays. It's such a unique property and it seems like there's really good numbers on youtube, so here's hoping it blows up!

I hope it's similar to the first, if I wanted to play a perfectly smooth and polished fantasy RPG there's hundrerds out there. I want the weirdness of the series embedded in.
Not to mention there was a LOT that they had to leave on the cutting room for the original. The Beastren, for example.

Hopefully, this means we get to go to the MOON, too!

I just want something like Bitterblack Ilse or cooler dungeons.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. BBI was the best part of the first game by far and if the trade off for the proper open world the game has now is less quality dungeons again I'd be a little annoyed. Everything else looks really solid.

I wonder if Capcom is being dumb and their "unannounced" game is unannounced for FY23 and not actually unannounced. DD2 would fit nicely in the first quarter of next year.

Back
Top Bottom