• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Final Fantasy XVI |ST| Garuda, Bahamut... Come On Crystal Mama

aus89

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
aXSaUX0.png

PPxwnnV.png

PqaSs0H.jpg

91HWfOj.png

0Iafa10.jpg

5nVcEBL.png

wchbi2e.jpg

HDcx7sB.png

OfFDY6u.jpg

mvfMPub.png

BR9uVuy.png

IRV7FH7.png

H1hcFee.png

dxScShb.png

ZQTjP12.png

NZ7QNXK.png

vvmg23z.png

Last edited:
Beautiful ST, so stoked for the game and hoping it puts FF back on top in a way it hasn’t been since X.

Can’t believe we still seemingly don’t know the embargo time?

Fantastic ST. I've never played a Final Fantasy game before - this may end up being my first. I just finished the demo and I'm not 100% sold but I'm curious enough to keep an eye when reviews come.

Small note - you've repeated Benedikta's description under Hugo. Also, it might be nice to do a text-only version of the ST if you're up for it :)

Amazing ST! Excellent work — hopefully more people pop into the thread just to appreciate it.

I’m getting a ways through the demo now, and I’m not 100% sold on the tone. Combat is a lot of fun, which is a pleasant surprise, but I need a little bit more anime for it to feel like a Final Fantasy for me. (Even 12, my favorite, isn’t quite this dour or straight-faced, and that one’s got the reputation as the “political” FF already.) I will say, the cutscene direction has been really nice so far. Which is good, because there are a LOT of them.

In terms of world structure, it’s a bit ehhhh, but I recognize I’m playing the early part of the game. Not crazy about changing “Malboro” to “Morbol,” which is a little thing that feels a bit unnecessary, like it’s an old shame or something.

Fantastic ST. I've never played a Final Fantasy game before - this may end up being my first. I just finished the demo and I'm not 100% sold but I'm curious enough to keep an eye when reviews come.

Small note - you've repeated Benedikta's description under Hugo. Also, it might be nice to do a text-only version of the ST if you're up for it :)
Yes, I did just fix that up - I will take a look at doing a text version too

Amazing ST! Excellent work — hopefully more people pop into the thread just to appreciate it.

I’m getting a ways through the demo now, and I’m not 100% sold on the tone. Combat is a lot of fun, which is a pleasant surprise, but I need a little bit more anime for it to feel like a Final Fantasy for me. (Even 12, my favorite, isn’t quite this dour or straight-faced, and that one’s got the reputation as the “political” FF already.) I will say, the cutscene direction has been really nice so far. Which is good, because there are a LOT of them.

In terms of world structure, it’s a bit ehhhh, but I recognize I’m playing the early part of the game. Not crazy about changing “Malboro” to “Morbol,” which is a little thing that feels a bit unnecessary, like it’s an old shame or something.

They’ve been called Morbols in the MMOs XI and XIV, so it wasn’t totally random.

They’ve been called Morbols in the MMOs XI and XIV, so it wasn’t totally random.
Gotcha — XI and XIV are two of the mainlines I’ve never played.

Having gotten through the main cinematic set piece in the demo, I’m really not sure I’m feeling this. It’s VERY dark.

Fantastic ST, hope people enjoy the game. Is the first time in good while that I have been so confident in the quality of an RPG, the game looks like everything I want out of a Final Fantasy game, and I wholly trust that the people making it will deliver a great game.

Only problem, I don't have a PS5, pain.

Amazing ST! I skipped the demo so I’m super excited for Thursday! Final Fantasy is one of my all time favorite franchises and I love they always take huge risks and shoot for the moon with story, worlds, and gameplay. Nearly everything about this one has me excited walking in so I can’t wait to experience it all soon!

Beautiful ST. I'm probably not going to give this game the attention it deserves until either it comes to Xbox, or Sony drops a PS5 Slim, whichever comes first.

Hoping it's everything ya'll hope it will be.

Real quick while it's on my mind: Not really a spoiler, but I'm so mad that Square Enix gives us a lead with facial hair but he has the body of a Ken Doll in terms of body hair. Couldn't even give us an Otter...

That said, really good OP! And that title of the thread, I... 😭

Beautiful ST. I'm probably not going to give this game the attention it deserves until either it comes to Xbox, or Sony drops a PS5 Slim, whichever comes first.

Hoping it's everything ya'll hope it will be.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the eventual PC release here, just because of the console price.

I could've made you really jealous yesterday.

Went to the mall in the city near the one where i work during lunch break yesterday, had an appointment to get my new sunglasses fitted for my head.
Since that was done super fast, i thought why not stroll through the mall and the Media Markt close to it a bit more.

And look and behold, the Media Markt already had the game in the shelves. Really surprising, normally such a big retailer chain doesn't break street dates like this ... at least not for big releases.

Anyway, that's the story. Before you ask, no i didn't buy it, i have no interest in playing this game.

Will have to wait... a year I guess? For a PC-Version :/

Great ST, though! Hoping the game will be as good as it looked :D

Sublime OP, @aus89 . Great work!

I skipped the demo because I wanted to wait until I had the real thing in my hands. I have a physical copy preordered, and I’m double-dipping for a digital as well because I’m a sucker and I want both, ok?!

Lol at the ST name. You’re really dating yourself there, friend. But I guess so am I for recognizing it!

Beautiful OT! I can't wait for tomorrow and I'll just jump into the game first thing in the morning.

I won't be looking at the reviews later today because I just want to go in as blind as possible.

My physical copy hasn’t even shipped yet from Target 😞. I’ll be lucky to have the game in my hands by Saturday.

Incredible ST! :D

Still not sure whether I'm going to pick this up at launch. On one hand, the demo blew me away and experiencing the story fresh alongside everyone else would be a treat. On the other, I have literally just finished the behemoth that was TotK, and I'm not sure I can stomach another long-ass mentally 'intense' (and emotionally intense if the demo's anything to go by) game right now.

The review scores might tip my decision over the edge one way or another; I'll have to see.

I know its not on Switch, but it kinda confuses my that there is not even a Review Thread and the OT is on the first page. So much less hype for it then i expected.
It's par for the course for PS5 exclusives tbh. Doesn't mean we can't have a lively ST, though.

My take from the demo and reviews is that this is going to be a fun time but not the GOTY (media wise) contender people thought it might be. Still debating whether I'm going to pick it up. Might wait for some of y'all to get it and get your impressions lol

It's par for the course for PS5 exclusives tbh. Doesn't mean we can't have a lively ST, though.

My take from the demo and reviews is that this is going to be a fun time but not the GOTY (media wise) contender people thought it might be. Still debating whether I'm going to pick it up. Might wait for some of y'all to get it and get your impressions lol
Yeah I think PS stuff here generally goes a little quieter than other places for obvious reasons (especially on Direct day/night) but seems like there will be plenty to discuss about it. Looking forward to picking up my Deluxe Edition tmrw morning (believe my pre-order extra was another steelcase so will have two different steelbooks for the game haha)

I dont have a platform to play it (sadly), and as it stands, ill hve to decide if its time to go to another big platform or still wait another year for switch 2. im not in the position to have many platforms, so all of the arguments of "is waiting another 12-18 months really that bad" are falling flat for me with releases as this.

Watched the demo. Looked...interesting. Writing is definitely high for an RPG, a little bit to much on the grim dark, but the performances where great.
For a FF it seemed to grim overall, dont know how it stands with exploration. Im a Nier Automata, DMC and Bayonetta fan, so the gameplay looks great. I think this game will live or die by how well the story resonates with people and if it does if they can get some buzz out on social media.

So, still picking up my copy tomorrow because it's FF, but saw some concerning tweets about the game from Daniel Andreyev, a french video game journalist, who's been covering japanese video games for almost 30 years, who is a big FF XIV fan, and who was very hyped by FF XVI :

"We'll be talking about it extensively in the next Sumimasen Turbo [his show], but yes, I was extremely disappointed in Final Fantasy XVI. A real textbook case of "not my FF". Enter with caution. Worst of all was the aspect where I thought they'd make a big effort, namely the script. I guess I wasn't ready for some badly regurgitated GoT and SnK fanfic. No twist surprises, the "maturity" of the thing is gratuitous and, ow, the female characters, we'll have to talk about that".

I was concerned with the female characters after playing the demo, and sad to hear it's as bad as it seems in the final game. FF always had strong and interesting female characters, love stories, most of them even end with power ballads, and I don't get why the last two games completely ditched that aspect.

So, still picking up my copy tomorrow because it's FF, but saw some concerning tweets about the game from Daniel Andreyev, a french video game journalist, who's been covering japanese video games for almost 30 years, who is a big FF XIV fan, and who was very hyped by FF XVI :

"We'll be talking about it extensively in the next Sumimasen Turbo [his show], but yes, I was extremely disappointed in Final Fantasy XVI. A real textbook case of "not my FF". Enter with caution. Worst of all was the aspect where I thought they'd make a big effort, namely the script. I guess I wasn't ready for some badly regurgitated GoT and SnK fanfic. No twist surprises, the "maturity" of the thing is gratuitous and, ow, the female characters, we'll have to talk about that".

I was concerned with the female characters after playing the demo, and sad to hear it's as bad as it seems in the final game. FF always had strong and interesting female characters, love stories, most of them even end with power ballads, and I don't get why the last two games completely ditched that aspect.

It'll be interesting to see what's in there - iirc there were definitely some concerning sounding leaks (that I didn't read for spoilers) re: treatment of women in the game but yeah it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Ok, that sounds concerning. The female characters in the demo chapter where.... not great. Not because of being good or evil. but the writing, the... nah. just not good.
No twist also does sound rather dissapointing, so it plays the "grounded" dark fantasy aspect straight till the end?

I finished up the demo last night -- thought the Eikonic combat section was ok, but I'm pretty disappointed overall. Canceled my pre-order; may pick it up later once I have more time.

I will say, the particle effects are STUPID pretty. But I can't see myself making it through 40+ hours of this particular tone/approach.

I would say that the leaks about how the story treats women were about as deflating as the lack of diversity. I would love to root for the Final Fantasy series again, but it won't be possible this time around.

This game's subreddit has been having an emotional breakdown since the review dropped. The Belda argument has never been used so much in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom