• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming October 10th)

Three different people DM-ed me to tell me about this one because they knew I wasn't watching the direct. I'm REALLY excited to find out more about it and I'm probably getting it day 1 unless any new info really turns me off it.

Level 5 is alive! I hope the three games in the Direct come out well and in a timely manner.

Looks really clean, and the first one was a fav of mine during the early years of the 3DS, but I'm not digging the New Horizons inspirations for this one.

When they shown the character creating a cliff exactly like in New Horizons I was like "oh no, I'm done with this shit after 500 hours of New Horizons...", and then they show the player putting stuff outside lmao noooo just let me mine and make my own weapons and armors, I don't want to decorate the whole island, I can't do that anymore

Always wanted to try that game. If reviews are good, I'm in!

Level 5 isn't the best graphically on a Nintendo platform. Not sure what to expect when 3 games all looking rough.

Honestly the best announcement for me. I would have just been happy with a port of the first game, but getting a sequel that looks this good is incredible.

Never played the 3ds game. See people always praise it so I'm very intrigued by this.

A very pleasant surprise. I was wondering where the series would go, especially after the smartphone sequel fizzled out.
The 3DS Fantasy Life game was a hidden gem. Oodles of content and online play. I revisited it at the start of the pandemic, and had a few co-op sessions with a relative. I even bought the expansion, six years after getting the base copy!

This was the game I always wanted but lost every hope on after the closure of the awesome mobile online game.

I am SO glad I get to play more Fantasy Life now that Animal Crossing has no updates anymore, comfort abound!

Never played the first one but this looks cozy. I'm definitely interested.

Never tried the first one but I might as well do it now.

I kinda want to help Level 5 in their return.

First one was VERY nice: pretty simple gameplay, but original loop due to all the different jobs you could take on; very nice and vibrant graphics and color palette; charminig relaxing game

This ons..seems as good as that one! They should have just released it 4 years ago instead of wasting time with the mobile episode lol

I fell asleep in the direct (#dadlife) and missed this, I like picking up on everyone's excitement - it's making me keep an eye on this one.

What's up with the "i" in the title? 🙃
No idea but when I look at upcoming Switch game titles, an extra ‘I’ is like the least weird thing out there compared to stuff like
“void* tRrLM2(); //Void Terrarium 2”
(this is an actual game title)

Comcept has the stink of Mighty Number 9, but they also put out Recore which is a banger so I don’t look at them being attached to the game as a negative.

I've heard extremely wonderful things about the first game... how similar does this look for those who are in the know? Sequel, spin off, bit of both?

i.e. should I go back and play the original or wait?

Last edited:
I've heard extremely wonderful things about the first game... how similar does this look for those who are in the know? Sequel, spin off, bit of both?

i.e. should I go back and play the original or wait?
Just like that I would say definitely sequel, but it's hard to tell much more off just the trailer honestly. The terraforming is definitely new, it seems a little more open, and the time travel gimmick is new. Some of the gameplay animations seem similar but I don't know if the feel or UI has changed. But for the rest I wouldn't be able to really tell you.

Personally I would say the original is more likely than not still going to be worth playing because it's already a fantastic game on its own merits, and the story is a lot of fun and that part isn't going to be the same in both. If it turns out you don't vibe with the game, I assume it's unlikely you'd like FLi, and if you do end up liking it, you'll have even more of the series to play.

The main thing I would say to watch out for if you try it, is that if you want to try the multiplayer, you need to make sure that:
  • You have the same region game as your friends (the multiplayer is region-locked, so EU players cannot play with NA players)
  • You either all have the DLC or none have the DLC, because you cannot multiplayer across game versions
I didn't like the DLC quite as much as the base game, but it's still worth getting if you want more of the game, to me it's an 8.5/10 to a base game that's a 10/10. If you want to get it, it's all post-game content so you can wait to see if you like the base game first, but make sure you buy it before the 3DS eshop closes.

I cannot wait to play this 😍 the new trailer is really reassuring to me that the core gameplay loop and general feel has been captured despite the visual change and swap in who's actually putting the nuts and bolts of it together.

One of my favourite things in the original was my partner and I setting out at the beginning of a session with a little shopping list the other had made for mats we each needed and the other's focused lives could get way cheaper than buying lol hopefully fami can have a fun little community supporting each other like that!

Last edited:
I cannot wait to play this 😍 the new trailer is really reassuring to me that the core gameplay loop and general feel has been captured despite the visual change and swap in who's actually putting the nuts and bolts of it together.

One of my favourite things in the original was my partner and I setting out at the beginning of a session with a little shipping list the other had made for mats we each needed and the other's focused lives could get way cheaper than buying lol hopefully fami can have a fun little community supporting each other like that!
Agree. I just hope the wacky character designs from the first game make it into this one. The designs we've seen so far look rather generic.

What's up with the "i" in the title? 🙃
They explained it in todays presentation! It stand for... uh... island, because it plays on a Island. Internet, because it has internet multiplayer, individual, because you can choose your own life. And a secret forth think they will talk about later.

The fourth "i" probably stands for I LOVE LEVEL 5 FOR MAKING ANOTHER FULL ON FANTASY LIFE GAME

It was nice seeing a bit more of the gameplay stuff. It doesn't seem the town desgining is your major hook, which is good for me cause I was a tad worried about that, but it comes across just as something a little extra to do. Can't wait to get a group of people and start maxing out lives.

I was a little apprehensive off the previous trailer, given how little it showed, but now I'm really excited, can't wait to pick this up and play it with friends!! 🤩

I wonder if they're gonna do the whole i is for 愛 thing like some other stories do.

Found the full interview with Hino. It's a machine translation, but it seems like Fantasy Life is scheduled to release first out of all the new games.

But since "Fantasy Life i: Guruguru no Ryu to Toki no Nusumu Shojo" is the first of the games we have announced that will be released, I am looking forward to the day when everyone will be able to explore together without having to wait as long as possible.

Back
Top Bottom