• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar. 4-10)

As far as console games go, FF has been on the decline for a while, especially in Japan. 14 is a very successful MMO but FFXV only hit 10 million after many discounts and being available on most platforms. I don't see any of the Remake trilogy or 16 hitting those numbers even with PC.

FF7R has a number of problems in Japan
  • It's a sequel
  • The games are long
  • The wait times between games are long
  • The games are split between systems
  • It's on systems that are not the regions preferred way to play
Lot of things to solve, but can't because of the nature

Still not admitting this. I think this is its 21st week? It's now where NSMB was after 5 weeks, and where NSMB Wii was at about 2.5 weeks, so way the hell slower than the big entries released to much smaller userbases. It's slightly faster than NSMB2, being about where that game was at 23 weeks. The Wii U game it has beaten.

EDIT: In a leg for leg comparison, Wonder's week 21 is 11K. NSMB's week 21 was 40K. NSMBW's week 21 was 26K. NSMB2's was much higher, but also in December so not a fair comparison.
NSMB2 total sell-in in Japan: 2.76M
SMBW sell-in after just the launch quarter in Japan: 2.54M

Just to tell that there is more than what meets the eyes.

• It's a sequel
  • The games are long

I think the plan was supposed to be that FF7R would come out, enchant existing FF fans but also bring on board a new generation to experience the franchise's most storied entry with all the modern bells and whistles.

Kind of like what the new Dune movies are doing, they're not being made just for existing fans of Dune, the whole logic is Dune Part I would introduce new fans to the IP alongside existing fans and then Dune Part II should have higher box office, not lower. And that is exactly what's happening, Dune Part II is going to clear Part I's box office pretty easily it looks like.

Unfortunately for Square-Enix, things are going the opposite direction for them.

• It's a sequel
  • The games are long
FFXVI wasn't a direct sequel yet sales were disappointing too.
All Final Fantasy games (RPG) were typically longer than games in other genres in the past.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom was released more than 6 years after Breath of the Wild, has the wait damaged its sales potential in Japan?

Past week I've read people claiming that the disappointing sales of FFVIIR2 is a sign that FFVII legacy in Japan isn't as strong as believed.
But what it's being judged isn't FFVII, it's current Square's total reimagining of FFVII. The two shouldn't be confused.

FFXVI wasn't a direct sequel yet sales were disappointing too.
All Final Fantasy games (RPG) were typically longer than games in other genres in the past.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom was released more than 6 years after Breath of the Wild, has the wait damaged its sales potential in Japan?

Past week I've read people claiming that the disappointing sales of FFVIIR2 is a sign that FFVII legacy in Japan isn't as strong as believed.
But what it's being judged isn't FFVII, it's current Square's total reimagining of FFVII. The two shouldn't be confused.

It could be both, I mean I do 100% think Square-Enix mismanaged this whole thing in a very stupid way, but at the same time 1997 is shockingly almost 30 years ago too.

Atlus has issued an apology for undershipping Unicorn Overlord. I hope third party publishers will stop underestimating the demand for these games on Switch.

These games are self contained and not heavily story focused, though. No one who wants to jump into Spider-Man 2 would refrain from it because they didn't play the first game.

This is Xenosaga all over again, where the games kept getting better but it didn't matter at all because the audience had a hard cap at how much the previous game sold. And Xenosaga at least were yearly releases all on PS2, FF Remake is years apart across multiple gens, it's a terrible, terrible miscalculation.
God of War Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2 are absolutely story focused games, and need knowledge of their predecessors to the same level as Rebirth does. Hell Spider-Man 2 also follows up the Miles Morales spinoff game too.

Xenosaga dropped off a cliff because 2 fumbled the bag pretty hard, Namco even canned half of the planned games because of it.

Switch doing great again, looks like Nintendo was right to increase their forecat a bit for this quarter.

Shortages for UC really suck.

It makes me sad that Rebirth isn't doing well because holy shit is it an amazing game. People are really missing out

Atlus has issued an apology for undershipping Unicorn Overlord. I hope third party publishers will stop underestimating the demand for these games on Switch.

Stores should yave ordered more. The demo probably came too late to determine how much was needed

Glad Unicorn Overlord's doing so well, but anecdotally, I haven't been able to find a copy anywhere near me either. I really want physical, so I'm kind of bummed to wait.

giphy.gif

eo4a2C3.png

[Weekly sales of software and hardware] “Unicorn Overlord” takes first place and 3 versions enter the top 10 at the same time! “Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku” also has strong sales [3/4-3/10]​

Sales ranking announced by Famitsu. This time we bring you a summary of estimated weekly game software and hardware sales from March 4th to March 10th, 2024.

The completely new simulation RPG Unicorn Overlord takes first place in its first appearance.
The game got off to a good start with the manufacturer announcing that the packaged version was out of stock and issued an apology, the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions ranked 1st, 3rd, and 8th respectively. The total number of units sold is 74,186 units.

Next in 4th place was Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku -Exercise with Miku- which is also the first title to appear.
This is a boxing exercise game that is a collaboration between the "Fit Boxing" series that allows you to enjoy exercise easily with the virtual singer Hatsune Miku and is a title that is expected to have continued sales in the future.

Also Momotaro Dentetsu World ~The earth revolves around hope! ranked 9th place . With this week's sales the cumulative domestic sales have finally exceeded 1 million copies.

Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)​

Software​

1st place Switch Unicorn Overlord
40,991 (total 40,991) New / Atlus / March 8, 2024

2nd PS5 Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
24,482 (total 287,138) -91% / Square Enix / February 29, 2024

3rd PS5 Unicorn Overlord
24,398 (total 24,398) New / Atlus / March 8, 2024

4th Switch Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku -Exercise with Miku-
14,128 (total 14,128) New / Imagineer / March 7, 2024

5th Switch Mario vs. Donkey Kong
13,238 (total 116,761) -9% / Nintendo / February 16, 2024

6th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
11,669 (total 5,739,869) +26% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

7th Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11,417 (total 1,779,209) -2% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

8th PS4 Unicorn Overlord
8,797 (total 8797) / Atlus / March 8, 2024

9th Switch Momotaro Dentetsu World: Electric Railway ~The earth revolves around hope! ~
7,053 (total 1,006,010) -27% / KONAMI / November 16, 2023

10th Switch Splatoon 3
6,460 (total 4,246,168) +15% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

Hardware​

• Switch - 4,896 (total 19,738,694)
  • Switch Lite - 10,762 (total 5,770,240)
  • Switch Oled - 50,240 (total 6,838,219)
  • PS5 - 34,799 (total 4,647,882)
  • PS5 DE - 4,265 (total 736,531)
  • Xbox Series X - 2,290 (total 259,961)
  • Xbox Series S - 1,456 (total 304,927)
  • PS4 - 1,816 (total 7,923,822)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 14 (total 1,192,879)

yAWOMMi.png

It seems to be another good week for the Nintendo Switch. I’m happy to see the console doing so well in this eighth year.

Also I am pleasantly Surprised to see the Switch version of Unicorn Overlord coming in at first place this week. Very good results for the Nintendo switch platform overall.

Good and bad for Unicorn Overlord.
Atlus probably just had a bunch of copies just sitting there and now they act surprised that all of them are gone.

Really? i've always expected to sell really well in western markets with square enix pushing more into that market.
I'm not sure if we have breakdowns of total sales for the west but the overall/worldwide sales paint a clear picture.

I wonder if REbirth's performance might push Square Enix to pursue the idea of subsequent mainline FF titles to drop the roman numerals, as rumored
I know that’s something Yoshi-P floated but I don’t see how dropping the numbers or connection to Remake from the title would’ve changed things here. And it certainly didn’t help Lightning Returns when they tried it there 😂

As I mentioned earlier the drop is consistent with 1) JRPG sales trends in general (80-90% drop is very common as sales tend to be very front-loaded) and 2) the fall off between direct sequels in the FF series (ie. XIII trilogy)

• It's a sequel
  • The games are long
I think there's one more problem with 7R that people aren't reckoning with: a huge chunk of PS5s sold in Japan don't actually stay in Japan. While scalping's died off, reselling does still exist thanks to the weak yen.

This means it's impossible to say what the actual install base is, which throws off everyone's sales projections since prior to the PS5 the best indicator of interest in a console's library was how many consoles had been sold.

I think there's one more problem with 7R that people aren't reckoning with: a huge chunk of PS5s sold in Japan don't actually stay in Japan. While scalping's died off, reselling does still exist thanks to the weak yen.

This means it's impossible to say what the actual install base is, which throws off everyone's sales projections since prior to the PS5 the best indicator of interest in a console's library was how many consoles had been sold.
yep. everytime you bring this up on the other site tho there's lot of shouting about how you are doing a conspiracy theory and misinformation but I feel confident in stating that the majority of the ps5s sold from 2020 to 2023 aren't in the country anymore. I mean what other explanation can there be for these shoddy sales? people buying them to play f2p games that they can get in their phones and pcs already? the ps5 becoming a hot home decor item? playstation secretly selling millions in digital copies and telling no one?

It's not something anyone would usually bring up, but it's nonetheless assuring that NDcube's releases are constantly being charted, given how much they are usually looked down upon due to mainly making party games (something hardcore players generally hardly care about).

Thank you for reading.

yep. everytime you bring this up on the other site tho there's lot of shouting about how you are doing a conspiracy theory and misinformation but I feel confident in stating that the majority of the ps5s sold from 2020 to 2023 aren't in the country anymore. I mean what other explanation can there be for these shoddy sales? people buying them to play f2p games that they can get in their phones and pcs already? the ps5 becoming a hot home decor item? playstation secretly selling millions in digital copies and telling no one?
What gets me is that the other explanation is worse, that interest in Sony games has cratered to sub-Dreamcast levels. (Wii U had games that sold millions). Would they rather it be a matter of numbers or a complete lack of interest???

Switch doing great again, looks like Nintendo was right to increase their forecat a bit for this quarter.
They were forced to touch up their previous forecast due to be already at 13.74M after the first three quarters which left only 1.26M to match their previous annual forecast, 1.26M is a very low amount even for a soft quarter like Q4.
Howerver they specified they left their initial internal forecast for FYQ4 unchanged.
IMO the full year result could hit around 16M (beating the upped forecast of 15.50M).

Shortages for UC really suck.
Nintendo increased their forecast just because 3rd quarter is better than their estimation. 4th quarter estimation is still remain the same as before.

I think the plan was supposed to be that FF7R would come out, enchant existing FF fans but also bring on board a new generation to experience the franchise's most storied entry with all the modern bells and whistles.

Kind of like what the new Dune movies are doing, they're not being made just for existing fans of Dune, the whole logic is Dune Part I would introduce new fans to the IP alongside existing fans and then Dune Part II should have higher box office, not lower. And that is exactly what's happening, Dune Part II is going to clear Part I's box office pretty easily it looks like.

Unfortunately for Square-Enix, things are going the opposite direction for them.
movies in general require less investment than games though

And it certainly didn’t help Lightning Returns when they tried it there 😂
You're right.

As I mentioned earlier the drop is consistent with 1) JRPG sales trends in general (80-90% drop is very common as sales tend to be very front-loaded) and 2) the fall off between direct sequels in the FF series (ie. XIII trilogy)
Also, what's important is the game's legs and consistent sales. FINAL FANTASY XV didn't as big of an opening week as FFXIII, but it's one of the best selling entries. Granted, that one was available in a lot of formats from day one and had a support system and ballooned it all the way to where it is today, but I feel like, in the long run, Rebirth will sell satisfactorily well, but not on par with Remake.

If anything, Square Enix should learn from this that overly ambitious remakes should only be attempted if they can package it in a single release and not several. It doesn't make sense to invest in three very costly projects, that span several console generations, and each subsequent entry is gonna sell considerably less than the former.

Do we have empirical data on this?

Square thinking the issue is the Roman numerals as opposed to the Final Fantasy brand itself is very funny
Hey, at least they're not attempting to replace the lore like the Fabula Nova Crystalis days... hahahah

50k OLED's... People's old Switches are dying in their 7th year and they're replacing them with OLED, no doubt. How about a little more incentive here, Nintendo? Couple of extra special editions would skyrocket those sales numbers. Where is the Zelda gold edition Switch? Or Pokémon transparent Switch lites?

Nintendo released New 2DS XL after the Switch launch and it pushed 5m extra units with all those special editions (Zelda, AC, Pokéball, Pikachu, DQ). We need the same here with Switch.

50k OLED's... People's old Switches are dying in their 7th year and they're replacing them with OLED, no doubt. How about a little more incentive here, Nintendo? Couple of extra special editions would skyrocket those sales numbers. Where is the Zelda gold edition Switch? Or Pokémon transparent Switch lites?

Nintendo released New 2DS XL after the Switch launch and it pushed 5m extra units with all those special editions (Zelda, AC, Pokéball, Pikachu, DQ). We need the same here with Switch.
They are in no hurry atm to press that button.
Switch as it is right now is selling fine.
They’ll save your plan for the final days.

Hey, at least they're not attempting to replace the lore like the Fabula Nova Crystalis days... hahahah
If there was a time to get rid of the Roman numerals it was, ironically enough, during the FNC era, because then they could have pretended there weren’t six to eight year gaps between mainline offline titles. The FF brand is so diluted right now the audience has already been conditioned to expect these games as not that special.

Do we have empirical data on this?
No and that's the tricky bit, we'll never know how many PS5s left the country. Just that it happened and it was a big chunk. But what that chunk is could be anything from single digits to something absolutely crazy like 40%.

Paradoxically, the higher the number is, the better the software environment is for Japan, it just means that the console's actual user base is however much smaller than it appears.

Unicorn Overlord outselling FF7Re proves one thing: Always bet on the Nintendo Switch!
It also outsold Pokémon and Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest, but it doesn't mean much.

I doubt the userbase has shrunken considerably since XVI released, though.

This whole FF7 Rebirth thing has me changing my mind on Visions of Mana skipping base Switch. Honestly, I get why they wanted to go for more powerful hardware and I'm sure they expected Switch 2 to be ready for the game's launch but yikes. A late-port will do okay at the end of the day but ehhhh. Hopefully WW sales will still be good enough.

No and that's the tricky bit, we'll never know how many PS5s left the country. Just that it happened and it was a big chunk. But what that chunk is could be anything from single digits to something absolutely crazy like 40%.

Paradoxically, the higher the number is, the better the software environment is for Japan, it just means that the console's actual user base is however much smaller than it appears.
It seems to be the only logical explanation why PS5 software sales is consistently terrible in Japan, the active user baser must be much smaller than the amount of consoles sold.

This whole FF7 Rebirth thing has me changing my mind on Visions of Mana skipping base Switch. Honestly, I get why they wanted to go for more powerful hardware and I'm sure they expected Switch 2 to be ready for the game's launch but yikes. A late-port will do okay at the end of the day but ehhhh. Hopefully WW sales will still be good enough.
Its just par for the course, even with the Switch turning 8 years by now a lot of games continue to skip a Switch release, and not just the AAA games. It seems incredibly weird and doesn't fill anyone with confidence that the Switch 2 will get much more third party support, because for many studios they don't seem to want to put the effort into making a port of their games to a Nintendo system, and just want to focus on the trifecta of PS, PC and Xbox. Could be that the Switch 2 will be mostly a indie machine just like Switch 1 was.

Back
Top Bottom