• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar. 4-10)

eo4a2C3.png

[Weekly sales of software and hardware] “Unicorn Overlord” takes first place and 3 versions enter the top 10 at the same time! “Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku” also has strong sales [3/4-3/10]​

Sales ranking announced by Famitsu. This time we bring you a summary of estimated weekly game software and hardware sales from March 4th to March 10th, 2024.

The completely new simulation RPG Unicorn Overlord takes first place in its first appearance.
The game got off to a good start with the manufacturer announcing that the packaged version was out of stock and issued an apology, the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 versions ranked 1st, 3rd, and 8th respectively. The total number of units sold is 74,186 units.

Next in 4th place was Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku -Exercise with Miku- which is also the first title to appear.
This is a boxing exercise game that is a collaboration between the "Fit Boxing" series that allows you to enjoy exercise easily with the virtual singer Hatsune Miku and is a title that is expected to have continued sales in the future.

Also Momotaro Dentetsu World ~The earth revolves around hope! ranked 9th place . With this week's sales the cumulative domestic sales have finally exceeded 1 million copies.

Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)​

Software​

1st place Switch Unicorn Overlord
40,991 (total 40,991) New / Atlus / March 8, 2024

2nd PS5 Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
24,482 (total 287,138) -91% / Square Enix / February 29, 2024

3rd PS5 Unicorn Overlord
24,398 (total 24,398) New / Atlus / March 8, 2024

4th Switch Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku -Exercise with Miku-
14,128 (total 14,128) New / Imagineer / March 7, 2024

5th Switch Mario vs. Donkey Kong
13,238 (total 116,761) -9% / Nintendo / February 16, 2024

6th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
11,669 (total 5,739,869) +26% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

7th Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
11,417 (total 1,779,209) -2% / Nintendo / October 20, 2023

8th PS4 Unicorn Overlord
8,797 (total 8797) / Atlus / March 8, 2024

9th Switch Momotaro Dentetsu World: Electric Railway ~The earth revolves around hope! ~
7,053 (total 1,006,010) -27% / KONAMI / November 16, 2023

10th Switch Splatoon 3
6,460 (total 4,246,168) +15% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

Hardware​

• Switch - 4,896 (total 19,738,694)
  • Switch Lite - 10,762 (total 5,770,240)
  • Switch Oled - 50,240 (total 6,838,219)
  • PS5 - 34,799 (total 4,647,882)
  • PS5 DE - 4,265 (total 736,531)
  • Xbox Series X - 2,290 (total 259,961)
  • Xbox Series S - 1,456 (total 304,927)
  • PS4 - 1,816 (total 7,923,822)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 14 (total 1,192,879)

yAWOMMi.png

Last edited:
That shipment size of Unicorn Overlord is an insult. Atlus / SEGA really had not much confidence in the game, huh?

Could've easily topped the 100k combined if stock was there.

That shipment size of Unicorn Overlord is an insult. Atlus / SEGA really had not much confidence in the game, huh?

Could've easily topped the 100k combined if stock was there.
Seriously, it seems like everytime the Switch has a breakout third party hit on its hands there are stock issues that hobble sales. Hopefully word of mouth can help here like it did for 13 Sentinels, but I'd be pissed if I was working at Vanillaware.

Such a drop is normal for JRPGs, even if it's a worse one than other recent FF games had. Still not unusual.

If anything, the drop not being a little softer due to word of mouth, good availablility is the thing SQEX might not like on top of the lukewarm first week sales.

Also, due to basically being sold out, you can expect Unicorn Overlord to maybe completely disappear from the charts next week.

FF7 remake had around 89% drop off.
The issue is not the drop but the initial sales.
Single player games will mostly have a huge drop on second week.
If you wanted a game and pay full price, you might as well do it on launch day.
Otherwise wait for discounts.

Switch up from last week and last year, this console will not stop selling.
Great performance by unicorn overlord but it could have easily done better if it wasn’t for stock issues.
FF7 rebirth huge underperformance continues with record low drop on its second week for the series after a record drop launch. The lack of global pr is also pretty alarming, such a shame that it happened to one of their best games.
I guess ff16 will keep being the highest selling ps5 game in japan until monster hunter.

Seriously, it seems like everytime the Switch has a breakout third party hit on its hands there are stock issues that hobble sales. Hopefully word of mouth can help here like it did for 13 Sentinels, but I'd be pissed if I was working at Vanillaware.
I’m seeing this every where but like do you think they can just order mroe for whenever day and date shipping.

This only blew up thanks to the demo a few weeks ago.

No one is upset, this isn’t they under shipped, their shipping this is the game over performing a lot more before anyone could have expected before the demo.

If it wasn’t the breakout hit it was the 150k shipped copies would bargain bin protagonists.

Especially for small games from a small dev with a new ip. It’s risky to ship much.

I feel that the next FF titles will be developed with Switch 2 in mind, meaning smaller in budget and day one on S2. There's no way Square will continue their strategy of making big budget games for PS mostly.

Eh it's also kind of in Segas favor to undership anyway. It favors people getting a digital copy anyway, with a better profit margin.

I feel that the next FF titles will be developed with Switch 2 in mind, meaning smaller in budget and day one on S2. There's no way Square will continue their strategy of making big budget games for PS mostly.

We have literally no idea what type of game FF17 will be. I'm guessing it will be an Elden Ring clone with more cinematics, but we'll see.

KH4 not being a reboot is looking extremely stupid right now after Rebirth and the MCU catering. People won’t do homework for media.

Now now, KH started being "homework" with 2.

Big chance it won't. Big chance Switch 2 won't even be considered for a late port.

If anything, they should aim to have the PC version release day and date, though that won't help too much in Japan.

I'd even argue they will still consider asking Sony to court them, since it appears the decision makers of the IP over at SQEX ... "favor" ... them.

Eh it's also kind of in Segas favor to undership anyway. It favors people getting a digital copy anyway, with a better profit margin.
Except customers just move on if there isn't stock. If someone was looking to buy a copy, that means they don't want a download. If they wanted a download, they would have downloaded it on release day. We have seen with multiple of these undershipped A and AA RPG's that the customer just moves on to something that is in stock. Then the CEO of the company begs fans to buy the digital version but they don't.

If they ever pick it up, it's later on from a used game shelf. Wash, rinse, repeat.

also given wonder's legs all the talk about it "underpeforming" past 2d marios now looks silly
Still not admitting this. I think this is its 21st week? It's now where NSMB was after 5 weeks, and where NSMB Wii was at about 2.5 weeks, so way the hell slower than the big entries released to much smaller userbases. It's slightly faster than NSMB2, being about where that game was at 23 weeks. The Wii U game it has beaten.

EDIT: In a leg for leg comparison, Wonder's week 21 is 11K. NSMB's week 21 was 40K. NSMBW's week 21 was 26K. NSMB2's was much higher, but also in December so not a fair comparison.

Undershipping aside, that looks like a good debut for UO.

Rebirth drop is expected as per the genre. As others said, it’s awful to see when the FW sales were already lower than expected.

3/10 and Side Order putting in the work for the evergreens.

Part 3 dropoff for FF7 trilogy is gonna be very interesting to see. Feel like Square has put themselves in a corner with a project that has diminishing returns.

Part 3 dropoff for FF7 trilogy is gonna be very interesting to see. Feel like Square has put themselves in a corner with a project that has diminishing returns.

Who could have seen this coming when they announced the remake would be 3 parts right

Who could have seen this coming when they announced the remake would be 3 parts right
CBU1 should know better. Most of the top level staff were involved with XIII and its trilogy (when they were BD1) which also saw significant drops in sales between installments.

Last edited:
CBU1 should know better. Most of the top level staff were involved with XIII and its trilogy (when they were BD1) which saw significant drops in sales between installments.

FF13-2 and 3 were extremely low budget asset reuse projects with very experimental gameplay following the least liked game in the series, I doubt they viewed it as too good of a signal.

Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok is probably what they were hoping for in terms of lack of a dropoff.

Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarok is probably what they were hoping for in terms of lack of a dropoff.

These games are self contained and not heavily story focused, though. No one who wants to jump into Spider-Man 2 would refrain from it because they didn't play the first game.

This is Xenosaga all over again, where the games kept getting better but it didn't matter at all because the audience had a hard cap at how much the previous game sold. And Xenosaga at least were yearly releases all on PS2, FF Remake is years apart across multiple gens, it's a terrible, terrible miscalculation.

it's a beginning to be a problem there too
If you ask me, the decline's is due to more than just the continuity, people have gripes with anything about those movies these days, not to mentiom that their quality has indeed been dwindling a lot.

It had a tremendous 11-year run, though. It all started in 2008 and it grew, grew, grew until it peaked in Endgame.

is the Final Fantasy brand falling off in japan? Like i would have expected it to sold way more, especially in Japan. Like i think the game will sell well in the western market, but having it have a 91% fall off seems crazy.

is the Final Fantasy brand falling off in japan? Like i would have expected it to sold way more, especially in Japan. Like i think the game will sell well in the western market, but having it have a 91% fall off seems crazy.

I think that's normal for an RPG--the fall off from the initial week--as RPGs tend to be heavily frontloaded, but I might be mistaken, so please correct me if I'm wrong, anybody!

FF brand worldwide has been falling off for a long time now

I think that's normal for an RPG--the fall off from the initial week--as RPGs tend to be heavily frontloaded, but I might be mistaken, so please correct me if I'm wrong, anybody!
The thing is ff7 remake sold 700.000 copies in it's first week in japan with a lower install base of the ps4 (because more ps5 have been sold in Japan)
and with the release of every new FF game it's been selling worse and worse in Japan.

And also FF is the grandaddy of RPG and most of them have a consistent sale from what i've gathered over the years.

But maybe the console market in Japan have been lessening, like right now it's becoming more into a handheld and pc market.

The thing is ff7 remake sold 700.000 copies in it's first week in japan with a lower install base of the ps4 (because more ps5 have been sold in Japan)
and with the release of every new FF game it's been selling worse and worse in Japan.

And also FF is the grandaddy of RPG and most of them have a consistent sale from what i've gathered over the years.

But maybe the console market in Japan have been lessening, like right now it's becoming more into a handheld and pc market.
There are not more PS5 sold in Japan than PS4, especially not at the end of the PS4’s life when Remake came out.

Also, it came out during the pandemic. It’s different.

There are not more PS5 sold in Japan than PS4, especially not at the end of the PS4’s life when Remake came out.

Also, it came out during the pandemic. It’s different.
Thanks for the response bro

These games are self contained and not heavily story focused, though. No one who wants to jump into Spider-Man 2 would refrain from it because they didn't play the first game.

This is Xenosaga all over again, where the games kept getting better but it didn't matter at all because the audience had a hard cap at how much the previous game sold. And Xenosaga at least were yearly releases all on PS2, FF Remake is years apart across multiple gens, it's a terrible, terrible miscalculation.

No, those games are very heavily story focused and are not self contained. God of War Ragnarok doesn't make much sense emotionally without playing 2018.

Back
Top Bottom