• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Famicritic |ST| Our own review aggregator! (Third batch up, GOTY edition!))

The first batch of review Famiscores are in!

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: 86 (26 reviews)
Metroid Dread: 85 (23 reviews)
Pikmin 4: 89 (16 reviews)
Super Mario 64: 80 (15 reviews)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 71 (14 reviews)

Full details can be found in the review index.

Collating these took a lot longer than I realized*. I'll have some follow-up thoughts tomorrow and will post the second batch of games in the coming days.

*To add to that, when I was 75% done editing the review index post, I hit CTRL+R (why?!), reloaded the page, and lost everything. However, I realized the Google Sheet I had all the info in was laid out in such a way that formatting the post within the sheet itself was actually super easy. I think I ended up redoing the whole thing faster than finishing that 25% would have taken!
Thanks for doing this! Might be a minor nitpick on my part, but why convert the aggregate 5-star ratings into a 100-point scale instead of just giving the results as a 5-star rating as well (with decimals obviously)? The consistency is one thing, but also people tend to have different expectations for how they read these different formats, as illogical as it can be.

Oooh I wish I would have seen this post early enough to share my thoughts. Excited to contribute to the next round of games reviews.

Pikmid too high. Midtroid too low. The Legend of Midna just right. Super Midio 64 deserved to be lower.

I'm once again surprised at how controversial / divisive Xenoblade 3 is on this board. I haven't played it yet, maybe I'll agree when I catch up to the franchise. I am a bit surprised because I thought the opinion on this forum approved a lot after Future Redeemed, I remember people being really conflicted the first few months, then I've heard almost nothing but positivity about Xenoblade 3 since Future Redeemed

I'm sorry Xenobuds, if I gave it a score, it might have helped a lil

Here are the first batch of games to review! Reviews must be in by October 3rd, 2023, at 12PM Eastern Time (US).
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Pikmin 4
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Metroid Dread
Super Mario 64
TOTK: 5 Stars
Pikmin 4: 4 and a half stars
Metroid Dread: 5 stars
Mario 64: 121 stars (4 stars)
Xenoblade 3: Never played LMAOOOOOOOOO (but the music slaps, so I would rate the music 5 stars)

Thanks for doing this! Might be a minor nitpick on my part, but why convert the aggregate 5-star ratings into a 100-point scale instead of just giving the results as a 5-star rating as well (with decimals obviously)? The consistency is one thing, but also people tend to have different expectations for how they read these different formats, as illogical as it can be.
Two reasons:
  • We're doing a Metacritic, so we're copying the Metascore lol
  • More serious answer: having a different scale for reviews than for aggregates is, IMO, a useful way to meaningfully distinguish between the two and what they are intended to convey. I don't know about you, but I never really see anyone complain about the Metascore of a film or album, whereas it's very common to see people claim a video game didn't "deserve" its Metascore (whether it's too high or too low). To be blunt, that's partly just because gamers kinda suck, but I think it also has something to do with the scale. Films and albums usually use either a 4- or 5-star scale or a letter grade, so its less meaningful to compare the Metascore to a typical review. Games, on the other hand, are often graded on a 10- or 100-point scale, so the Metascore doesn't look so different from a review score and IMO that contributes to the outrage. I'd hoped that by having the reviews and aggregates using quite different scales, we'd avoid some of the reactionary "wrong aggregate score" stuff we see a lot of. As you can see from some of the posts here, that has not worked!

Submissions for the first batch of games are now closed!

I will collate the reviews and post the results later today. In the meantime, please feel free to suggest other games to review and discuss how you think this first round went. Specific questions you might want to ponder:

• What did you think of the scale? What did you think of people's adherence to the scale?
  • What did you think of the timeframe (2 weeks)? Was it too long, too short?
  • What did you think of the game selection?
I enjoyed it! I wish real life stuff didn't take up too much time haha

I think the game selection was good, but I think I might like a bit more of a mix of old and new going forward? Maybe 1-2 brand new, 1-2 medium, and 1 real old game. Like a Switch game or two, one for Wii, one for Gamecube, and then one for SNES or something.

Metroid Dread
Watching that reveal trailer made me almost scream and cry in at my old job's break room. Playing the game did the same thing for the entire run as long as I wasn't paying attention to the music which was very easy!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
What about the lore? The lore doesn't deserve six stars. Biased reviewer due to your username and avatar? Questionable ethics? Abuse of the thread? Corruption of The Process?

me-after-getting-gold-on-dandori-challenge-v0-61e8ztjzchib1.png

What about the lore? The lore doesn't deserve six stars. Biased reviewer due to your username and avatar? Questionable ethics? Abuse of the thread? Corruption of The Process?
Yes it does, also I live for the Corruption of the Process, thank you

Two reasons:
  • We're doing a Metacritic, so we're copying the Metascore lol
  • More serious answer: having a different scale for reviews than for aggregates is, IMO, a useful way to meaningfully distinguish between the two and what they are intended to convey. I don't know about you, but I never really see anyone complain about the Metascore of a film or album, whereas it's very common to see people claim a video game didn't "deserve" its Metascore (whether it's too high or too low). To be blunt, that's partly just because gamers kinda suck, but I think it also has something to do with the scale. Films and albums usually use either a 4- or 5-star scale or a letter grade, so its less meaningful to compare the Metascore to a typical review. Games, on the other hand, are often graded on a 10- or 100-point scale, so the Metascore doesn't look so different from a review score and IMO that contributes to the outrage. I'd hoped that by having the reviews and aggregates using quite different scales, we'd avoid some of the reactionary "wrong aggregate score" stuff we see a lot of. As you can see from some of the posts here, that has not worked!
Not sure about albums but I'm not sure I've ever really seen people talk about a film's metascore like ever.

I think I would have preferred sticking to the 1-5 scale for aggregate if it's mandatory for the reviews but it's not a huge deal

Pikmid too high. Midtroid too low. The Legend of Midna just right. Super Midio 64 deserved to be lower.

I'm once again surprised at how controversial / divisive Xenoblade 3 is on this board. I haven't played it yet, maybe I'll agree when I catch up to the franchise. I am a bit surprised because I thought the opinion on this forum approved a lot after Future Redeemed, I remember people being really conflicted the first few months, then I've heard almost nothing but positivity about Xenoblade 3 since Future Redeemed
I guess that for some people FR counts as part of 3 and/or FR improved their view of 3, but personally speaking I consider the two separate titles and FR didn't really impact my view of the base game of 3 at all

But that said, FR is phenomenal and since discussion around 3 has been more focused on that it probably lends the discussions a more positive bent in general

Just to pitch a variety ballot of options for next time around @hologram

Switch pick: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Other recent pick: Dragon Quest XI
Multiplat pick: Mass Effect 2
Retro pick: Megaman X
Retro pick: Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

I think it made sense for a first batch! But also that it would be good to decide on a slightly more structured way to pick in the future, whether that be through having a set spread each time (ex. always having 1 retro game and 1 indie, or spreading across genres, etc) or by having themes (ex. this biweekly theme is "games with boats").

I enjoyed it! I wish real life stuff didn't take up too much time haha

I think the game selection was good, but I think I might like a bit more of a mix of old and new going forward? Maybe 1-2 brand new, 1-2 medium, and 1 real old game. Like a Switch game or two, one for Wii, one for Gamecube, and then one for SNES or something.
I think we’re all thinking along the same lines. I like the idea of having genre of the fortnight /indie/retro picks etc, just so there’s as much chance as possible of people having played stuff, and sheer variety makes for interesting discussion

The first batch of review Famiscores are in!

Metroid Dread: 85 (23 reviews)
Super Mario 64: 80 (15 reviews)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 71 (14 reviews)

Full details can be found in the review index.
Interesting results. I wonder if we’ll see over time that Famicritic tends to average out away from extremes, especially away from the review/hype cycle where it’s largely members who’ve played the game and had time for their thoughts to coalesce. Put your favourites up for famicritical reception at your own risk :D

Interesting results. I wonder if we’ll see over time that Famicritic tends to average out away from extremes, especially away from the review/hype cycle where it’s largely members who’ve played the game and had time for their thoughts to coalesce. Put your favourites up for famicritical reception at your own risk :D
It's an interesting disparity - I do think time away from initial release and an enforced 1-5 system may move us away from the extreme high end. I see 90s becoming a lot rarer than on OC/MC

At the same time, the majority of those who review the game here are going to be those who wanted the game beforehand, fans of a particular genre/series or were convinced by other reviews around the time of release. They're also very likely to be people who put down money on the game - in that regard, we could see fewer lower end scores too (the old 'sunk cost' argument).

Of course that's all hypothetical, just some random musings. Nothing to take too seriously just mildly interesting to geeks like me :)

It's an interesting disparity - I do think time away from initial release and an enforced 1-5 system may move us away from the extreme high end. I see 90s becoming a lot rarer than on OC/MC

At the same time, the majority of those who review the game here are going to be those who wanted the game beforehand, fans of a particular genre/series or were convinced by other reviews around the time of release. They're also very likely to be people who put down money on the game - in that regard, we could see fewer lower end scores too (the old 'sunk cost' argument).

Of course that's all hypothetical, just some random musings. Nothing to take too seriously just mildly interesting to geeks like me :)
Oh likewise, mildly interesting indeed :)

I think I generally like the scale, my only concern with it (that wasn't very applicable for this first batch) is how to interpret the "would you recommend this" part of the descriptions. For mass-appeal games it totally makes sense, but for more niche games, it might be good to specify whether you had it in mind as say, for 5 stars, "even people who aren't familiar with this niche should try it" or more "you would recommend it to fans of the niche".
Truthfully, the "would you recommend this" part was more pointed towards the lower end of the scale. Reviews should be the opinion of the reviewer, but they still should be written for a general audience; a one-star review which discusses only how the narrative themes weren't well-executed and doesn't talk about gameplay isn't really that helpful as a review. Of course, it isn't exclusively relevant to negative reviews - there was one review in the first batch which read quite negative, but ended with "but I still loved the game so 5/5", which I also don't think is super helpful - but I do think people tend to have these hang-ups more when they have negative opinions than when they have positive opinions. So overall, I think if your review is very glowing and you have minimal complaints, a high score is warranted even if you feel the game might be a bit niche.

I'm mulling over some more directives for the reviews (some of them are just more uniform formatting, since collating them was more work than I anticipated), but I think I'm also going to elaborate on the scale a little.
As for adherence, there's a couple reviews that had me a little confused because the text of the review struck me as matching a different spot in the scale as the rating they then chose, but I'm not sure what the reaction to that should be. Maybe double-checking with them if you feel like that's the case?
Agreed. My hope is that people get better at writing reviews as they get more practice, but I also encourage constructive feedback of reviews (e.g. "hey I'm not sure the score you gave really matches your review") and will probably start doing some of that myself. I figured I wouldn't for the first batch though, since I wanted to turn people off right away haha
I agree with the people saying the end time should try to aim for around "end of the day" for as many people as possible. General timeframe seems fine to me though.
Good idea! Noted!
Maybe this is something we can do down the line, but I'm a little hesitant to do so at this point. We ended up getting a last-minute rush of reviews for Mario 64, but there were very few at the start, and I'm wary of having too many "classics" that might attract fewer reviews in a single batch

I will collate the reviews and post the results later today. In the meantime, please feel free to suggest other games to review and discuss how you think this first round went. Specific questions you might want to ponder:

• What did you think of the scale? What did you think of people's adherence to the scale?
I think the time frame and game selection were good.

As for the scale, I'm fine with it. I think the distance between a 3 star and a 4 star maybe feels a bit large. But maybe that's intended if we're working off the assumption most games should be a 3 star rating. I mentioned it before but the way I read the 3 star rating it'd include everything from "pretty good" to "very good" and that's a lot of games that I ultimately feel very differently about. I guess I could just put some of those higher end cases as 4 stars going forward, though. I'm probably just reading too much into "complaints few and far between." I've got personal GOTY's that I have plenty of complaints with.

Maybe this is something we can do down the line, but I'm a little hesitant to do so at this point. We ended up getting a last-minute rush of reviews for Mario 64, but there were very few at the start, and I'm wary of having too many "classics" that might attract fewer reviews in a single batch

This may sound counterintuitive, but I think that using one spot each time for an older game that's free or easily accessible will help keep things fresh.

I feel kind of torn about how starts translate to the numerical score. Like, 3 stars to folks might feel like “yeah this game is fun but has problems” but does that really equate to a 60/100 review? I didn’t have issues with the stars this time because I rated everything 5, but I might feel differently if I play a game that I’d give an A- to but with the star ratings I’m basically giving it an 80 or a 100.

Maybe another game or two to spruce up the discussions. Beyond that, no complaints

Scale was good even if I would have preferred either a 10 point scale or half stars to be allowed
Maybe 2 weeks is too much. I feel like one should be enough, but that's just me
As for games, I'd like to see some non Nintendo/Nintendo console games added.

Future Redeemed is arguably* the best-paced and designed piece of Xenoblade content there is. It's also, like, less than 20% of the overall package and doesn't actually add anything to the main game (more on that in a sec) other than some of the DLC story beats retroactively improving beats from the main story, so ultimately it's not going to add much to a score of the overall game.

Xenoblade's side campaigns (Future Connected, Torna ~ The Golden Country, and Future Redeemed) are completely removed form their respective main games, down to having their own separate save files. Torna was even released standalone, and the others could've functionally been as well (though they would've made less narrative sense on their own compared to Torna, which is already questionable without 2 giving context to the world). They are essentially their own games that heavily borrow mechanics from their 'parent' games. Because of this, I imagine some scores weren't even considering Future Redeemed, as it's natural to think of it as a separate game from Xenoblade 3.

*Honestly, it might even be fair to drop the 'arguable' qualifier and say it's the consensus.

I feel kind of torn about how starts translate to the numerical score. Like, 3 stars to folks might feel like “yeah this game is fun but has problems” but does that really equate to a 60/100 review? I didn’t have issues with the stars this time because I rated everything 5, but I might feel differently if I play a game that I’d give an A- to but with the star ratings I’m basically giving it an 80 or a 100.
This is ultimately where you have to trust the aggregate to do its job, and understand that no, a three star review isn't intended to be interpreted as a 60/100. It's three stars out of five stars. Hologram seems to be saying the scales are different precisely to discourage this line of thought.

If you can't separate the aggregate score form the star rating when giving your review, and feel a game deserves an 87 or so, it's fine to give it four stars and trust that there'll be people willing to give it five. But I think that breaks the intent of the system a bit, and would encourage you to stay within the guidelines holo's set.

Ultimately, yes, this does mean that our scale isn't going to work out in the same way that Metacritic's does, and that's okay. 71 feels low for Xenoblade 3 to me, but that's in comparison to different models. I'd like to see more scores come in before I judge the system.

I think the issue is with thinking 60/100 is a bad score. We're so used to interpreting 90+ as amazing, 80-89 as good, 70-79 as okay but with glaring issues, and anything below 70 as not worth playing. But that's a bad scale! There are only two institutions I know of that use such a scale: American college grades and videogame reviews. I'm doing what I can about one of those, lmao

I'm sad I missed the first batch, I was on vacation for most of the time it was up. Oh well. I hope there are "events" to catch up on games that were reviewed in the past.

I'm sad I missed the first batch, I was on vacation for most of the time it was up. Oh well. I hope there are "events" to catch up on games that were reviewed in the past.
I like this idea. If the thread remains popular, I'll definitely try to do something like this!

Quick update
Just a quick heads up: I've updated the OP to add a couple of new rules. The new rules are as follows:
  • Please use one review post per batch of games. This is for ease of collating. You are welcome to do one at a time and edit your post later.
  • Please use ⭐️ star emojis for your review scores, rather than numerically writing the score. This is for visibility when I'm collating. Also, please don't include ⭐️ star emojis anywhere else in your review, such as giving additional ratings to DLC. It just makes it confusing.
These shouldn't be too onerous, but will make my job a hell of a lot easier. I've also added a few suggestions to the OP, which are not hard rules, just something to consider when writing reviews:
  • Base your score on your review, not the other way around. Your score should seem like a logical conclusion to someone who has read your review.
  • Generally, I would discourage using a different scale and then converting (and I would especially discourage explicitly mentioning you're doing this in your review). Due to the more spread out scale we have here, we're likely to end up with scores that trend lower than what you'd typically see on Metacritic or Opencritic, and that's okay!
  • Don't fixate! Your review should be a holistic appraisal of the game, not a rant on one particular aspect you hated.
I'm also going to start updating the title when we have a new batch and include the deadline, hopefully no one else misses out!

XC3 scoring low makes me distrust the community
Pikmin 4 scoring high gives me hope

Hope you do better next time, Fami

Hmmm.... if you want well thought-out, holistic reviews, I'll have to charge a flat fee of 100 Famicoins.

Here is the second batch of games to review! Reviews must be in by October 18th, 2023, at 7pm Eastern (US) time.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Pokémon Scarlet
and Pokémon Violet
Monster Hunter Rise
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Kirby and he forgor place: 5/5 stars, holy moly this game slaps ( ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️)
Smash Melee: 4/5 stars, it’s smash so it’s obviously going to be great, but I think the single player mode and the competitive scene are the only things that put this game ahead of any other smash (⭐⭐⭐⭐️)

Last edited:
Kirby and he forgor place: 10/10, holy moly this game slaps
Smash Melee: 8/10, it’s smash so it’s obviously going to be great, but I think the single player mode and the competitive scene are the only things that put this game ahead of any other smash
You might want to check through the OP/threadmarks again if you want your reviews to count towards the aggregate.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I had a really good time with this one! It felt like it had been forever since a Kirby I enjoyed (which, to be fair - my last two were Nightmare in Dreamland, which I loved, and Rainbow Paintbrush, which I really didn't, so it's not like I played a ton), and this one really delivered. The vibes are great, the visuals are super cute and bright, and I had a great time with the gameplay. And I still love the new idea of Kirby putting even more, bigger things in their mouth.

I got 100% completion on it, and it felt pretty reasonable in terms of both time and difficulty, even if a couple levels gave me some trouble. I can't say I was super fond of the gachapon, but it was at least fairly inoffensive, so it's not enough to really sour the rest.

Monster Hunter Rise - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
One of my favorite Monster Hunter entries, I think, alongside Stories and GU. Generally it feels pretty good, the controls are less clunky than a lot of other entries, and it has one of the more reasonable difficulty curves in the series. Visually it's also by far my favorite to look at of the mainline games. The monster variety is pretty good, and a lot of them are fun to fight. And generally having slightly more mobile and fast-paced combat felt pretty nice.

Where it kind of falters for me though is that I don't enjoy all the changes they made to weapons (hunting horn is less fun now </3), and I really disliked rampage mode. The latter is less of a problem as of Sunbreak, but them being mandatory in the main story of the base game was pretty frustrating.

Might edit to add Smash later, but I need to think about it a little more first.

And a big shout-out to rule 3, without which I would be giving Fire Emblem: Three Houses two stars because I did NOT enjoy the little I saw of it and dipped pretty fast when some friends confirmed that the parts I didn't like weren't outliers, and were spread across the whole game.

I didn't finish Mario 64 in time, well thats probably for the best, i finished it and I proudly give it 1 star, carried by nostalgia, when not speed running the game is mid as hell.

I never want to hear cool cool mountain or dire dire docks, the game ruined what little of it i liked, by playing it.

in general im not kind to games that aged, i live in 2023 so i rate it as standards up to 2023. because i could just be playing a better game than that, i not made of time for the most part so im not going to go "in 1996 this was novel" i don't have the time for that., if its a chore to play it isn't a good game.

Woo, round 2!

Played fewer of these but 3/5 ain't bad

Review: Pokemon Scarlet (and Violet but I didn't play that one)

There are some game concepts that are just almost impossible to mess up, and open world Pokemon is, for me at least, at the top of that list

That's not to say that Pokemon Scarlet doesn't give it it's best shot at messing it up, because boy does it. I don't really need to go into detail here, there's been plenty of talk about how technically poor these games are, and even beyond the technical aspects there are plenty of design flaws to point out - like the lack of interesting side quests, the lack of difficulty options, lackluster towns, and a fairly barebones open world

That being said, these games also do so much right. Open world exploration is still incredibly rewarding, because Pokemon are basically a cheat code of an open world reward - enemy variety, potential party member, and collectible all wrapped into one. The world is laid out rather nicely, with a decent spread of Pokemon variety throughout and some good terrain variety. The story is some of the best in a Pokemon game, which, low bar, but it helps. The music slaps. The new Pokemon are pretty great, even if they're a weaker crop than the last two gens in my eyes. Koraidon is a good boi

Overall, while there are plenty of valid complaints to make against the game, for me personally it was one of the best experiences of last year and one of my favorite Pokemon games. If we're going strictly off personal enjoyment, I'd probably rate it 5 stars. If we're going off what I'd recommend to others, it's probably more fair to rate it 3 stars. I'll compromise and give it

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Review: Monster Hunter Rise

This review kinda makes me want to try dango

I haven't played too many Monster Hunter games (just World, Rise, and the first Stories). I do quite like the concept, even though it doesn't do quite as much for me as it does for more hardcore fans of the series. That being said, Rise is an absolute blast

Monster Hunter Rise is all about the action. Everything is streamlined to get you to whacking a giant lizard/bear/dragon/whatever the heck Khezu is as soon as possible. And by god, is the whacking good. Each weapon is joyful to play, and the Wirebugs and Silkbind moves give you a fair amount of options when it comes to building them. I dabbled in basically everything (made easier thanks to Rise's streamlined weapon crafting) and enjoyed almost all of them. Whether you're slamming a guitar into a monster's face, slashing through them with basically-a-chainsaw, or flying through the air propelled by a bug and a dream, it's just plain fun to Hunt Monsters. Rise's maps are also pretty fun to explore, especially with the maneuverability added by the Wirebugs, and stunning to look at, with a ton of things that can help you out if the hunting gets a bit too tough.

There's not too much to say about Rise's story. It exists. The new Monster designs are basically all bangers though, with the Yokai theming lending this batch a nice sense of cohesiveness and a fun set of characteristics. Magnamalo, this game's flagship, is a personal favorite, and its music theme is indicative of how much this game's soundtrack slaps

Overall, a really fun time. Still haven't gotten Sunbreak though

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Review: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

I feel like my opinions on this game slightly soured after Three Hopes, which is honestly pretty unfair to it. So I'll try to avoid thinking of that game as much as possible and review this game based on how I felt before

Three Houses is a rarity in that it's a game I mostly care about for the story, characters, and world, as opposed to the gameplay. That doesn't mean the gameplay is bad by any means - the tactics are still fun and character progression is pretty addicting to mess around with. But the main compelling thing about Three Houses to me lies elsewhere

Fodlan isn't exactly a super complex setting, but it's given depth by its inhabitants. The characters all fit into the world, all shaped by it and seeking to shape it in turn. This cast basically carries the experience, and there's hardly a bad one in the bunch. The story, while a bit weak at times, does a good job of presenting these characters with conflicts that reveal more about them. It's great stuff

The game does kinda drag a bit and could've used more variety in maps and in the monastery segments, but overall it's an excellent time

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

All four stars this time, that's fun

BONUS
Super Smash Bros. Melee

I'm a noob who needs an input buffer, so I've never really liked Melee's lack of one

Man I only played 1 game in the new batch. Oh well

FIRE EMBLEM: THREE HOUSES

In 2019 I was obsessed with this game. Story and characters were so fricking good, with the main trio and especially Edelgard being the standouts. No character was either good or bad and you understood each characters ideology, struggles and motivations to do what they did perfectly.
Then there's the music.It is AMAZING. One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, the fact that it wasn't nominated for best soundtrack at the TGA in 2019 isa crime honestly.

But.... god this game is UGLY to look at. the technical aspect is abysmal at times, especially in the monastery where there are frequent frame drops and most textures are flat everywhere.
It is also very hard to replay after completing each route. Mabe that's also my fault for not saving before choosing a class, but each route feels like it takes ages to complete. Took me around 180h to do all 4 routes

Overall, A very good game that I don't want to replay again due to how long it takes

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Whelp, only one game for me this time as well.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Not all games need to be stressful or challenging and this game proves just that. Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a very relaxing game. Just walking through the levels listening to the music, exploring some secrets and smashing some enemies is a joyful experience.

The levels and worlds offer a lot of variety with some really cool themes such as deserted wastes and an abandoned theme park. Especially the latter is the highlight of the game, from the great theming to the very different yet solid levels and not to forget the banger tracks that play. One level has you becoming a racecar and racing for the top time, while another has you storming into a neon ghost house listening to a sweet disco beat.

As for the transformations, the mouthful mode offers a nice complementary to the normal power ups. Whereas the latter is mostly useful for defeating enemies, the former is more world oriented, where your controls are changed or you can interact with the world. Both offer a different approach which works well for variety. And standalone they also provide enough depth.

On top of all this, the game does not hold back when it comes content. Next to normal levels, there is an avalanche of challenges that further dive into individual power ups or transformations, each of them is fun and bite-sized which never makes them a chore to do. Some challenges also offer considerable difficulty by giving you target times to beat. And as if those challenges were not enough, there is also a hub world that grows over time where you can enjoy minigames, tourney challenges or just walk around and wave at waddle dees. If this game does not put a smile on your face, no game ever will.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
Kirby and the forgotten land is probably my favorite Kirby experience 9/10

Fire emblem three houses is my second favorite fire emblem game and a top five switch game. Though I wish it had more stuff for characters 9/10

Super smash bros melee, I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s great. 10/10

Monster Hunter Rise - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I’ve played a lot of MH games, but the wirebug and palamute made movement and dashing around in MHR so much fun. The wirebug is one of those mechanics that runs deep through the game, traversal, attack abilities, staying on the monster, defensive and buff and avoidance abilities too. It all comes to a head in the renewed battles with late game monsters where you are using the bugs to escape big attacks and then again to get back in and attack.

Being able to call online help into missions while you get on with them was great to avoid downtime waiting in lobbies. Sometimes I joined others, sometimes I left the hunt open for others to join me, but the key is I spent the time hunting, not waiting.

The Rampage mode I didn’t think worked as the monsters focus on advancing and reaching the gates just kills their behavioural quirks that sell the illusion that you’re up against a large predator rather than a set of programmed mechanics, but despite it headlining the village campaign, it’s a tiny part of the game overall. Between MHR and Sunbreak I played it for 500+ hours over March 2021 to June 2023, returning for every event. Absolutely loved it, and my favourite game on the Switch by a long way.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Another series I’ve played a lot of previous entries on. I feel like it’s a flawed game but the highs are really high. The overall story, that shifts as the faction you accompany becomes more reasonable and the others become more chaotic or extreme, is elegantly put together and rewards multiple playthroughs. The battles could be a lot more interesting, something Engage does completely the opposite of. The characters themselves are wonderful, I loved unpacking how they all fit into the broken feudal setting and the links between them, all the trauma and gradual opening up of the bonds and barriers between them all. I found the school setting utterly dull and a waste of time, particularly in the second half where there is no reason an army engaged in huge open warfare needs to return to a school for lesson planning. That should have just been binned at the halfway point. However! I do think it’s overall a much stronger game than Engage, and I applaud the character designs and characterisation and the setting. Music was good too, the main theme is wonderfully fitting for a game that opens with the optimism of youth and descends into the madness of warfare and zealotry. Not overly keen on overpowered player avatars, but that’s not exactly an issue with just FETH. What TH has done is it’s probably the only one other than PoR/RD that had me thinking much about it outside of play, the sheer amount of characters and major factions and minor factions dragged into conflict or alliance or neutrality is just interesting to me.

Last edited:
Only two games in this batch for me, it's been years since I've played Melee so I won't be giving that a rating.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐(A)
An excellent 3D debut for Kirby. Inspired level design and themes, fun copy abilities that all feel worthwhile, a lovely OST, and controls that are impeccable considering it's his first outing in the 3rd dimension. Even if this had simply been a 2D platformer, the ideas at work here would've still propelled this into greatness, but they went the extra mile and it was absolutely worth it. I do think the game ran out of steam near the end though; I never got around to doing the postgame stuff, and was definitely on autopilot as I approached the final boss. Was also not a fan of how the Waddle Dee objectives were hidden, it's unneccessary padding that ultimately led to me using a guide to avoid replaying levels multiple times. The visuals are also a bit dated, Odyssey still looks more impressive despite releasing 5 years earlier. Still, it's a wonderful game that everyone should check out at some point.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐ (S-)
My 2nd of three S- 1st Party Switch games, and Three Houses might be the most flawed of the bunch. The multiple routes were not well thought out at all, repeating tons of content that drags the length out immensely. The story is a bit of a mixed bag, the main antagonists are incredibly boring, the combat isn't particularly deep, and the game looks terrible on top of all that. And yet, despite all of my gripes, I still adore this game. The main cast is excellent, and the worldbuilding is easily the best we've seen in any Nintendo game. So many Fire Emblem games treat their characters as unimportant, but each and every character has some role to play in the grand tapestry of Fodlan, and as a result the supports all feel integral and worth investing time into. The political backdrop is excellent; Three Hopes justifies its existence through how it expounds upon Three Houses's politics alone. I love the Monastery and everything it brought to the franchise too, giving a lot more weight and meaning to how you prepare and train your class/army for battle. I have a lot of issues with Three Houses, but every time I replay it I can always look past them, which is impressive for a game as flawed as this one.

Kirby and the forgotten land is probably my favorite Kirby experience 9/10

Fire emblem three houses is my second favorite fire emblem game and a top five switch game. Though I wish it had more stuff for characters 9/10

Super smash bros melee, I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s great. 10/10
Just an FYI you might want to take a quick look at the rules.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
For better and for worse, no game defines my childhood nearly as much as Super Smash Bros. Melee.

For a majority of the seven years between it and Super Smash Bros. Brawl's release, every single weekend was spent going at my friends' favorite mascots' throats with Luigi or Captain Falcon. We'd toss one another around Final Destination and yell at whoever keep using their turn to pick Poke Floats for hours on end, ultimately moving on when afternoon turned to dusk and the allure of dinner beckoned us to our respective abodes. The original Super Smash Bros. had a permanent slot in my Nintendo 64, but Melee managed to burrow its way into my heart.

Melee was a remarkable upgrade over a simple-but-fun party game, one that ushered the franchise into the realm of serious competition. That transition made the game a more exciting mainstay in my gaming diet but also something of a nuisance for the series's creator. Super Smash Bros. was designed to be fun to pick up and play, but Melee isn't really that after one person in your group has picked it up and played it a disproportionate amount of time. Attempts to veer the series back on track have been met with disgruntlement (at best) and harassment. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was discarded by core fans almost as soon as it landed in their Wiis. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does a better job of living up to the promise of the series while maybe being a little too reverent of its most notorious predecessor. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U exist somewhere in the middle, satisfying some in the way that a bag of Smart Pop might please its consumer for a minute before they realize they still hunger for actual sustenance.

It's impossible to completely review Melee without acknowledging that it is both the catalyst of Super Smash Bros.'s greatest renaissance and its greatest failure as a franchise; it gave the series wings but also weighed it down with an anchor. I love Super Smash Bros. Melee for what it was at a specific time in my life and curse it for what it is now, that being the primary reason an invitation to my friends to play Smash Bros. with me receives a negative response instead of the gleeful affirmation it would have gotten on the N64 and before I started to slip in extra sessions of Melee during the week.

Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I ain't coherent bro sorry not sorry

Kirby and the Forgotten Land ⭐⭐⭐ - Well I like 3D platformers so I had to get it. I haven't felt compelled to finish it but it's good. Good enough, rather. I find myself going through the motions of playing levels though. Did any of you play Super Lucky Tale or whatever that game is called? Kirby's like that. Both games are so slow to play through. I'd bump this to 3 stars if it played faster

Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Everyone bitches about the performance issues I couldn't give less of a fuck though. The core Pokémon gameplay is intact and it's all I want now and forever and the game delivers. They got rid of the linear aspect of journeying through each city and collect badges but no, I won't give bonus points for changing some of the formula. The game is still easy but that's okay I like easy. I like being able to catch anything in the wild that looks cool and and it's viable fast because exp gain is crazy high. Game Freak continues to create Pokemon games that appeal to me. No complaints. Hope they keep it up.

Monster Hunter Rise ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- I skipped World so the last MH I played before this is Generations Ultimate. I think I'm liable to continue giving MH games a 5 star rating. A lot of the boss monsters both new and old feel good to fight. The weapons I like to use feel good. The combat is a bit faster paced. That's not really a positive but it doesn't detract from the experience. So from the core gameplay of MH that's where the 5 stars come from. I do want zones back though but adding fast traversal options like the wirebug and doggo mitigate my issues with big areas. I think it's a cardinal sin for a game to feature worlds without fast methods of navigating through it. I hate the bug collecting. NGL I think some of these changes are carried from World so yeah I hate having to collect the bugs for stats, the loss of zones, way too easy to collect mats for weapons and armor, this has to be World's fault. Plus I don't know what the hell Master Rank is. Fuck you it's called G rank

Fire Emblem: Three Houses ⭐⭐⭐ -I actually only did Edelgard's route because I'm way too lazy to deal with the monastery to play the other endings that shit sucks very much. I don't remember much actually. The core Fire Emblem gameplay is present from what I remember. That's good enough for a 5 rating normally but the monastery brings that rating down a lot. A lot of people's love for TH seems predicated on how there are factions and how cool the leaders are or story but yeah I don't give that much of a fuck for that lol. Well I mention this now because Engage has sold poorly relative to TH and it's disheartening to read people say they skipped Engage because of a poor story or characters but when it comes to SRPG gameplay it's easily among the best. I love the break feature the devs added, the map design and flow of combat are the fucking best, Engage is an easy 5 star for its SRPG aspects yeah it does have a monastery-like hub but it's smaller. Yeah if you haven't clued in I basically weigh gameplay a lot more than stuff that shouldn't matter as much like story or characters. Oh if you're thinking I gave TH a lower score for Engage's sake that's not true. I haven't been receptive of TH since its release and actually I'm proud for IS for rebounding back with such a banger like Engage after an ok/good game like TH.

Super Smash Bros. Melee ⭐⭐⭐⭐- Dude I don't even know. After Ultimate I don't know if I care much for Smash at all. Yeah they're great games but they ain't for me anymore. This rating is mostly from the challenge mode I forget what it's called. It had like 52 events to do. That was fun. I also liked adventure mode more than classic, that was good too. You punch and kick shit. Don't know what else to say lol. This was the only game where I had people physically come and share the same screen to play. That was a lot of fun. By the time Brawl came out it got harder for people to come over. I never cared for playing Smash online. It was share the same couch with me or bust.

If I was around for the first batch I'd have voted them like this
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - no rating. BotW is one of the worst games I've ever played. I just hated playing through it like I was seething my whole playthrough. It's such a shitty feeling. People cry about the breaking weapons but old FE had breakable weapons and that never bothered me. It's more so that I hate exploring. I don't wanna slowly run around and slowly climb shit and do nothing in big gaps until I find a shrine. Gliding is too slow. I don't like shrines neither I dislike that they're all over the place. I guess that's what happens when you got a big open world like this. You gotta add shit to do so shrines are the answer to fill the game world. I'm too lazy for that though. I have no interest in playing the sequel. I don't wanna create shit. I think it was Aonuma who said the formula is here to stay but I hate the formula so I'm boycotting the series until we get back to pre-BotW 3D Zelda. Give me old linear and non-open world Zelda back.
Pikmin 4 - 5 stars. Pikmin is the GOAT and anyone who doesn't wanna play these metal as fuck strategy games can go away.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 5 stars. You're probably thinking this should be low too because I hate open world games and while that's generally true I do hate most open world games XC as a series has created worlds not boring to explore so it's one of my few exceptions. Running around is fast it doesn't take that long to get to your destination and I love the combat.
Metroid Dread - no rating. I don't care about 2D Metroid at all. They're boring to play. I'd rather replay Prime Trilogy for the 100th time than touch this.
Super Mario 64 - 2 stars. I love this game really but lol I'm pretty close to giving this 1 star. It just doesn't feel good to play. I grew up playing this game. I did 120 stars. I marveled at how I could control Mario in 3D after playing him in 2D. But what I'm not gonna do is give it legacy points for being a monumental moment in gaming because well uhh it sucks very much as a platformer. It's okay if you just want to run around though. Sunshine was a bust as well. I think Nintendo didn't create a good platforming 3D Mario game until Galaxy 1. And then they perfected 3D Mario in Galaxy 2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom