• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO F-Zero: Maximum Velocity out on Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass March 28th

They barely do. Their NES/SNES stuff was before their compilation kick (stuff like axelay/rainbow bell adventure are MIA still and contra III got pulled from snes online as it was in a proto version of the app) their genesis app stuff are just carryover from the Genesis Mini licensing deal Sega had, and N64 they’ve only done approval for the Mario Party games.

Two bomberman games hit past VC and have normal saving features and if they ain’t here now, they probably aren’t coming later. Same with Ogre Battle, which I’m betting will skip NSO for similar reasons.
Konami doesn't own Ogre Battle 64. They did add one Gameboy Castlevania games to the app late last year.

Nintendo is keeping a steady flow of games. If they added more Konami stuff it would take thebplac3 of stuff that has been released, then people would wonder why those games haven't come yet.

More stuff will come including more Konqmi stuff.

Hopefully this is a sign that next gen F-Zero SWX does away with tired caricatures like Captain Falcon, Black Shadow, and the rest of the F-Zero X "characters" and instead is bringing back fan favorites like Megan, Kent Akechi, Professor Yazoo Jr., and Lord Cyber.

Hopefully this is a sign that next gen F-Zero SWX does away with tired caricatures like Captain Falcon, Black Shadow, and the rest of the F-Zero X "characters" and instead is bringing back fan favorites like Megan, Kent Akechi, Professor Yazoo Jr., and Lord Cyber.
Don't forget "The Sweep Man", Nichi.
Actually one of the few MV characters I genuinely like the design of in MV, I think having an indigenous character is cool, but also man he is super stereotypical. Naming his machine after a real indigenous person in the Japanese version is so strange.

It's still Genesis. Genesis needs way more games per update to be as good as the rest. Just the few GBA games we got trounce that library.
I forget Genesis on NSO is a thing tbh. Think I've opened it maybe once.

Still don't really see the motivation from Nintendo's end to license it, but I'm sure some people have gotten plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Everyone who has the expansion pass owes themselves to open up the Genesis app just to at least play Gunstar Heroes and Castlevania Bloodlines.
Best memory of playing Gunstar back on Wii (never played on Genesis) was when me and my friend made it to that triple changer Megatron gun boss.
My mind was blown how they were able to pull off graphical techniques like that on Genesis hardware.
Great times.

Beat the game on Expert. Yup, still my least favourite GBA F-Zero. Wouldn't mind if the tracks were added to 99 considering it follows in SNES' style anyways though. But if they did that, I would then want the MV machines too, and they'd need to be resprited to fit alongside the SNES machines and everything, and that's just hoping for too much.

Hoping GP Legend and Climax aren't too far behind, but I'm not gonna kid myself, they're probably gonna arrive in 2025.

Is this better or worse than GP Legend? Why?
Thanks already
Worse, personally. GP Legend has way more content and controls better by trying to be a 2D version of X, rather than following up SNES on different hardware. GPL's much less challenging, but I don't mind cause it's just more fun to play, and has way more character to it thanks to the Story Mode. MV has better track gimmicks though, I'd still say it's probably worth checking out, but it's definitely a weird entry in the series.

Worse, personally. GP Legend has way more content and controls better by trying to be a 2D version of X, rather than following up SNES on different hardware. GPL's much less challenging, but I don't mind cause it's just more fun to play, and has way more character to it thanks to the Story Mode. MV has better track gimmicks though, I'd still say it's probably worth checking out, but it's definitely a weird entry in the series.
Thanks a lot, will try and play

trying to use hot violet on master is so funny

this thing just absolutely eats shit from everything. if the wind walker gets ahead of you lap 1 the race is already over cus they outspeed your top speed by like 80 and never slows on turns and your terrible boost cant catch up by lap 2 on

We just got one last year.
I love F-Zero 99. I spend a lot of time on it. It's brilliant. I'm not neglecting for a moment the excellent work of NST.

Now, let's stop pretending for 5 seconds that, as great as an excellent improvement on the SNES game is, which to this day remains my favorite, it really is what we hope for when we talk about a new game.

If a real new F-Zero game ever comes out, which I honestly no longer hope it will, it will be a much bigger deal than F-Zero 99, and we all know it. But because we know it won't happen, we're all the more pleased with NST's great work on F-Zero 99.

I'm saying this to be wrong to try and reverse psychology the universe

While we're on the subject of musical metaphors (this also applies to Prime 4 and Donkey Kong, and I'll remind all of you of that in due course), here's my exact reaction if we ever get a new F-Zero game:

Thanks already
I prefer GP Legend over Maximum Velocity myself

Maximum Velocity sticks very close to the SNES gameplay of F-Zero where every lap you have to finish above a certain position or you rank out and you earn 1 boost per lap you complete. It also has a few cups to compete in and a small selection of vehicles to pick from

GP Legend takes the gameplay style from X and GX and puts it in a 2D title for the first time. So 30 racers on a course, your health becomes boost after the first lap and side (I think spin as well) attacks are available. There's a ton of vehicles to pick from and as it's based off the anime, that includes anime characters like Rick Wheeler. There's the standard cups to compete in and even a story mode that has more mission based gameplay (I remember being stuck on a mission where you had to destroy Black Shadow's vehicle before he finishes the race) and there's also a set of challenges where you have to clear parts of courses within a time limit. It's a much more fleshed out package imo and one of my favourite F-Zero titles.

Both games are really good though and I recommend playing them for yourself to see how you feel about them! (Hopefully there isn't too long a wait for GP Legend to arrive on NSO 😅)

Thanks already
I think it's much better. In a lot of ways Maximum Velocity is "F-Zero (SNES) 2", in other words what if F-Zero had a 2D sequel before F-Zero X. It controls differently than any other game in the series, but once you get the hang of it it's very rewarding and some of the fastest times have crazy bouncing and drifting. You can think of it as the GX to F-Zero's X.

GP Legend is easily the worst game in the series in my opinion. It tries to bring F-Zero X to 2D but it doesn't work very well, has an ugly art style, and a boring story mode. I'd rather just play F-Zero X or GX, especially when X is now portable.

The best way I can describe it is Maximum Velocity feels like a true GBA F-Zero, while GP Legend feels like a licensed GBA game for the F-Zero anime. Remember when GBA would get a "port" of every multiplatform Gamecube/PS2/Xbox release? It's like that.

Last edited:
MV feels awful to play to start off, i bounced off it entirely on my first playthrough a long while ago. but the mechanical depth is very much there and the races are some of the tightest feeling in the entire franchise on high difficulty

once you learn to drift you can never go back to actual SNES F-Zero, it's just such a huge add to the mechanics that makes a lot of the tracks actually start clicking

I guess we’re all out of GBA games, should definitely be getting an updated roadmap soon
Aren't we all out of ALL games announced for NSO? We need a new roadmap for EVERY platform. 😅

Or at least a big drop with one or two games for each console to assure people that they're still adding stuff and to stay subscribed.

Aren't we all out of ALL games announced for NSO? We need a new roadmap for EVERY platform. 😅

Or at least a big drop with one or two games for each console to assure people that they're still adding stuff and to stay subscribed.
They haven’t released The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls on the Japanese Game Boy NSO yet, so there’s still one more NSO update left before we’re truly out of announced games.

Japan still has For the Frog the Bell Tolls for Gameboy, but there's nothing announced left for the other systems (and Gameboy outside of Japan,) yeah.

I think we'll get roadmaps for N64 and GBA next Direct but Gameboy is probably gonna be treated like NES/SNES are.

From the release of DLC, to new NSO games, to refreshing NSO icons, Nintendo has moved to a 1AM (UTC) release times for a lot of things. Between this and full games being mostly midnight local time Thursday, rather than Friday, Nintendo has weirdly reorganised their release time/dates. I wonder what for. Simplification?

From the release of DLC, to new NSO games, to refreshing NSO icons, Nintendo has moved to a 1AM (UTC) release times for a lot of things. Between this and full games being mostly midnight local time Thursday, rather than Friday, Nintendo has weirdly reorganised their release time/dates. I wonder what for. Simplification?
Probably just a test run for the scheduling they plan for the next system. They are experimenting with pretty tiny rollouts for a lot of minor but experimental features.

GP Legend is easily the worst game in the series in my opinion. It tries to bring F-Zero X to 2D but it doesn't work very well, has an ugly art style, and a boring story mode. I'd rather just play F-Zero X or GX, especially when X is now portable.
Saying this in a conversation about Maximum Velocity is really funny to me.
F-S2y5SWEAAJNCp

Saying this in a conversation about Maximum Velocity is really funny to me.
F-S2y5SWEAAJNCp
This is an early GBA game, so you need to play on original hardware (not GBA SP or DS) or with a proper emulator filter to see how it actually looks. Metroid Fusion also looks ugly if you play on the incorrect hardware, Area 6 is full of neon purple for no reason. Not a problem with the game.

But fwiw the ugly part of GP Legend is the anime character designs.
maxresdefault.jpg

This is an early GBA game, so you need to play on original hardware (not GBA SP or DS) or with a proper emulator filter to see how it actually looks. Metroid Fusion also looks ugly if you play on the incorrect hardware, Area 6 is full of neon purple for no reason. Not a problem with the game.

But fwiw the ugly part of GP Legend is the anime character designs.
maxresdefault.jpg
Nah, I've played it on NSO and the filter there is great. I just think it's machines and tracks look uglier than GP Legend's character portraits, which are in line with the anime's style, and GPL has better looking tracks and machines. Both of these are outclassed by Climax's looks though, they got Imamura to do character art like F-Zero X! It's great. Has some gorgeous skies too, I love how Mute City looks in Climax.

Also Fusion looks totally fine to me, even blown out on an emulator with no filter. MV is just quite crusty.

Last edited:
Nah, I've played it on NSO and the filter there is great. I just think it's machines and tracks look uglier than GP Legend's character portraits, which are in line with the anime's style, and GPL has better looking tracks and machines. Both of these are outclassed by Climax's looks though, they got Imamura to do character art like F-Zero X! It's great. Has some gorgeous skies too, I love how Mute City looks in Climax.

Also Fusion looks totally fine to me, even blown out on an emulator with no filter. MV is just quite crusty.
Again the game is meant to be seen with completely different brightness, so it will look bad if you play it in a way it was not intended to be played. I like Climax and I'd definitely go to it over GP Legend, it feels closer to a real game. At the end of the day I'd rather play X or GX if I want that style of F-Zero, though.

Again the game is meant to be seen with completely different brightness, so it will look bad if you play it in a way it was not intended to be played.
I think the color palette in MV is actually quite restrained. It’s definitely not as garish as Harmony of Dissonance or Fusion.

Though, I don’t entirely love how it looks since I feel like they tried to add too much detail to the track and background that just turns to mush when speeding by. Also rotating the machine sprites has always looked bad and I wish they just swapped between a handful for leans like they did on the SNES.

I think the color palette in MV is actually quite restrained. It’s definitely not as garish as Harmony of Dissonance or Fusion.

Though, I don’t entirely love how it looks since I feel like they tried to add too much detail to the track and background that just turns to mush when speeding by. Also rotating the machine sprites has always looked bad and I wish they just swapped between a handful for leans like they did on the SNES.
Yeah! It's very dark and moody.

Honestly quibbling about the character portraits being anime-inspired making the game as a whole uglier doesn't feel fair. In-gameplay GP Legend looks great and obviously an iteration on Maximum Velocity. But ultimately the difference between them isn't massive either, just feels like unnecessary sniping at each other.

Thanks already
GP Legend by far.

Maximum Velocity decided to stay so true to the original F-Zero that it decided to be as empty of content as an early 90s racing game.

GP Legend has a kick ass story mode for EVERY characters (which are more than 30 : the X roster, plus a few new ones).

GP Legend by far.

Maximum Velocity decided to stay so true to the original F-Zero that it decided to be as empty of content as an early 90s racing game.

GP Legend has a kick ass story mode for EVERY characters (which are more than 30 : the X roster, plus a few new ones).
Just gonna make a correction, GP Legend story mode is just for 8 characters which are prominent in the anime. Ryu/Rick, Captain Falcon, Jody, Jack, Zoda, Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh and Lisa.
However, it does have a challenge mode that usually has similar-ish challenges that use a wide variety of machines with Zero Test.

Quick question, does this game have a mechanic where your car will become completely unresponsive if you do something wrong or were my joy cons fucking up?

Quick question, does this game have a mechanic where your car will become completely unresponsive if you do something wrong or were my joy cons fucking up?
If you're talking about slipping around when taking corners, yes. While SNES/99 will usually just ask you to let go of accelerate to keep grip, Maximum Velocity will ask you to mash the acceleration around corners. It was actually in SNES, and usually better than completely letting go, but here it's straight up mandatory.
This carries over to the other GBA entries, but not to the extent of MV.

It could also just be your joycons, I dunno.

If you're talking about slipping around when taking corners, yes. While SNES/99 will usually just ask you to let go of accelerate to keep grip, Maximum Velocity will ask you to mash the acceleration around corners. It was actually in SNES, and usually better than completely letting go, but here it's straight up mandatory.
This carries over to the other GBA entries, but not to the extent of MV.

It could also just be your joycons, I dunno.
This was a complete loss of acceleration and ability to turn at all, so I think it was my joycons.

Going back and forth between this and 99 is messing with my muscle memory! Man I love this game it was my first f-zero and I love the tracks, music and how aggressive the cpu is on higher difficulties. Hope they add gp legend as well.

Quick question about unlocking the
Queen League; do i have to come first in every expert Grand Prix or do i just need to finish?

as a general tip you'll wanna use Wind Walker for early Expert races when you don't have many unlocks assuming you have the turning down. the reason for this is partly because the turning is really good but also because of a hidden stat to the cars the game doesn't tell you; Boost Maintain

basically it determines how fast your speed drops after a boost(off a boost pad, or your own boost) which is actually an absurdly massive deal and is the primary reason Wind Walker is an excellent car and Hot Violet is kinda shit despite very similar stats on the surface.

though Hot Violet is a lot easier to learn turning early on as Wind Walker has an innate drift to its turn(which is actually good, but you need to accelerate tap turn else it'll just skid around)

Last edited:
If a real new F-Zero game ever comes out, which I honestly no longer hope it will, it will be a much bigger deal than F-Zero 99, and we all know it. But because we know it won't happen

I also thought a revival of the Endless Ocean series would never happen and here we are, don't quite lose all the hope.

How to play without hit walls with vehicles bad at turning? I can't play with Stingray in synobass track. There's some trick or something to turn well?
Blast turns (mashing acceleration) are super important, but it's also worth noting that outside turns (holding the strafe/lean button opposite of which way you're trying to turn) are more effective in this game than SNES and 99. It usually helps some vehicles with poor turning quite a bit in the 3 GBA games.

How to play without hit walls with vehicles bad at turning? I can't play with Stingray in synobass track. There's some trick or something to turn well?

learning to drift is so huge in this, especially for the more slidey machines. it lets you consistently keep close to top speed on turns

as the prior post mentioned, as you're turning you use the shoulder button opposite your turn direction while holding accelerate to drift.

you can also combine this with acceleration mashing for super clean turns, but it's cleaner if you only mash near the end of the drift.

it can be pretty tough to pull off and it took me a while to get any handle on it but the game really clicked for me in a big way once it did. it's really the difference maker for slidey vehicles from being basically useless on tight turn tracks to being dominant

Mash the acceleration button

Blast turns (mashing acceleration) are super important, but it's also worth noting that outside turns (holding the strafe/lean button opposite of which way you're trying to turn) are more effective in this game than SNES and 99. It usually helps some vehicles with poor turning quite a bit in the 3 GBA games.

learning to drift is so huge in this, especially for the more slidey machines. it lets you consistently keep close to top speed on turns

as the prior post mentioned, as you're turning you use the shoulder button opposite your turn direction while holding accelerate to drift.

you can also combine this with acceleration mashing for super clean turns, but it's cleaner if you only mash near the end of the drift.

it can be pretty tough to pull off and it took me a while to get any handle on it but the game really clicked for me in a big way once it did. it's really the difference maker for slidey vehicles from being basically useless on tight turn tracks to being dominant

I know of mash button, but only works for vehicles good at turn. I tried use opposite shoulder button, but things went worse than regular turns, even inverted L and R buttons because of muscle memory, still no sucess. I searched on youtube, but only found videos about F Zero X, GX and 99. Guess I will stick to hot violet, wind walker and sly joker to try beat master class.

Back
Top Bottom