• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO F-Zero: Maximum Velocity out on Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pass March 28th

More f-zero, more F-zero, MORE F-ZERO. Excited to be able to play this for the first time, I have been loving my journey through playing the F-zero series on the NSO.

Also I will not lie, when I first saw the tweet for this, I thought this was a new update for F-zero 99.

And now I will continue to wait a couple of years for them to add the much better GBA entries. May as well put me in Cold Sleep.
Wish they just dropped them all at the same time with how long it takes them to add games to NSO, same with Zero Mission when Fusion came out. Weird that Golden Sun and Fire Emblem got the "here you can just have them all" treatment but F-Zero didn't. Ah well.

This game slaps. IIRC it was made by the guy who made SNES-Zero, but wasn’t involved in the rest of the series. Plays more like the original than X, GX, and the other GBA games. I wrote a whole magazine about this shit lol. It’s also secretly the best of the GBA lot.

Really glad to see it finally come.

fun fact, NDcube's first game (I think, someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong)

This is neat, been curious to check this out. Glad they're not doing their usual "announce a GBA game a week ahead of time" thing and just putting it out this week. And hey, GBA roadmap's cleared, so now it's slightly more reasonable for me to expect Zero Mission could drop at any given time

e: gotta say though, between the shorter turn-around time making this less of an "event" and the trailer being nowhere near as impressive as what they've done for some other Expansion Pass games (for example, Golden Sun or Excitebike 64), definitely doesn't feel like there's a lot of excitement towards this game coming from Nintendo themselves. Almost feels like they wish they had something a bit more interesting to pair it with

Last edited:
with this now the frog game for Japan GB NSO is all that's left

this gives me more confidence in that april direct rumor than anything else lol, it seems like good timing

also yay we got the worst first party GBA game out of the way now we can get to the goods like GP Legend (which is way way WAY better than this game) and Zero Mission/NIDL

It’s also secretly the best of the GBA lot.
If by secretly, you mean, not actually. The slippery nature of the game is something I do not miss when playing GPL or Climax instead, and Climax is just all around one of the best feeling games I've ever played, I will sing it's praises from the heavens as one of the few people who cares about that game.

I mean, hey, I'll take MVs slippery controls over SNES' wack ass collision any day at least. Probably the best game from the acclaimed game designer behind Everybody 1-2 Switch.

If by secretly, you mean, not actually. The slippery nature of the game is something I do not miss when playing GPL or Climax instead, and Climax is just all around one of the best feeling games I've ever played, I will sing it's praises from the heavens as one of the few people who cares about that game.

I mean, hey, I'll take MVs slippery controls over SNES' wack ass collision any day at least. Probably the best game from the acclaimed game designer behind Everybody 1-2 Switch.
Impressive how many whiffs you were able to include in this post.

Impressive how many whiffs you were able to include in this post.
Sorry, one of the game designers on Everybody 1-2 Switch.
That's the only whiff I can see at least, MV's slippery controls and SNES having odd collisions that turn you an absurd amount when the rubberbanding AI bumps you are just real. I still enjoy those games, just not nearly as much as Climax. That game gives you more control on a dpad than most games do on an analog stick, it's wonderful. Plus it's got the best version of Dream Chaser.

I feel roadmaps are done. Just going to be shadowdrops for non-expansion pack stuff and then a week to 2 days for the other stuff…and no more Genesis apparently
That’s what people said before the second N64 roadmap. And before the GBA/GB roadmap. It’s an easy way to buff up their calendar and it’s a quiet year

That’s what people said before the second N64 roadmap. And before the GBA/GB roadmap. It’s an easy way to buff up their calendar and it’s a quiet year
n64 is absolutely not coming back outside of rare stuff lol

i could see a rare roadmap with SSB64 thrown in as a bonus i guess, but after all that rare stuff, there's nothing left. Konami wont play ball, controller pak emulation gates off most of the library, unless we get weird shit like glover i dont see the n64 library growing much more

i could see a rare roadmap with SSB64 thrown in as a bonus i guess, but after all that rare stuff, there's nothing left. Konami wont play ball, controller pak emulation gates off most of the library, unless we get weird shit like glover i dont see the n64 library growing much more
We already got Winback, controller pack isn’t a block. And we haven’t seen Konami yet but they have done games on other systems

Nice to see that we are still getting a March update for the expansion pack. I was kind of hoping that all of the GBA F-Zero titles would be bundled together, but I'll still take this.

It feels like they're ramping up F-Zero for something big soon. I'm starting to expect an original game will be announced at some point in the next twelve months

I was worried Nintendo wouldn't have a March release this year. Glad they delivered even if this late. Excited.

We already got Winback, controller pack isn’t a block. And we haven’t seen Konami yet but they have done games on other systems
It's not a block, but man it sure would be nice if Nintendo decided to emulate it for once

Hey now, there's always Cruis'n USA (which was released on the Wii VC awhile back)

This game slaps. IIRC it was made by the guy who made SNES-Zero, but wasn’t involved in the rest of the series. Plays more like the original than X, GX, and the other GBA games. I wrote a whole magazine about this shit lol. It’s also secretly the best of the GBA lot.

Who's the guy?

I was worried Nintendo wouldn't have a March release this year. Glad they delivered even if this late. Excited.

There has been a couple months where we thought that Nintendo would skip and then they suddenly drop an NSO update at the last second.

Nintendo doesn't believe in patterns lol.

Always happy to see more F-Zero on my Switch

I might prefer the other titles in the series but Maximum Velocity is a pretty cool game too

There has been a couple months where we thought that Nintendo would skip and then they suddenly drop an NSO update at the last second.

Nintendo doesn't believe in patterns lol.

I wasn't talking about just NSO!

seinfeld-jackie-chiles.gif

Who says that Konami won't play ball? They have games on the other apps. There's plenty of N64 games left. They'll dig deep like they did with the NES and SNES apps and get lots of games people wouldn't expect.

Who's the guy?
Kazunobu Shimizu, I believe.

Here's another fun fact: This game along with the Satellaview version is the one of precious few titles that series creator and character designer Takaya Imamura had no involvement with.

Rough translation: I was not involved in F-ZERO FOR GAMEBOY ADVANCE in addition to the Satellaview version. Other than that, I have participated in the development in some form or another. I really appreciate all the passionate F-ZERO fans on a daily basis! Thank you!

(note: in Japan, Maximum Velocity is actually just called "F-ZERO FOR GAMEBOY ADVANCE")

Nintendo should make the Jet Vermillion code generation work again.

You could either win Master on every cup with every vehicle, or put in the code from this website: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afzj/vermil/index.html

Luckily fans reverse engineered the algorithm and you can still generate a code here.
This is one of my fond memories with this game. Having to find an internet connection with my dad to get on a exotic japanese website to get a code for my GBA game was something special

Who says that Konami won't play ball? They have games on the other apps. There's plenty of N64 games left. They'll dig deep like they did with the NES and SNES apps and get lots of games people wouldn't expect.

They barely do. Their NES/SNES stuff was before their compilation kick (stuff like axelay/rainbow bell adventure are MIA still and contra III got pulled from snes online as it was in a proto version of the app) their genesis app stuff are just carryover from the Genesis Mini licensing deal Sega had, and N64 they’ve only done approval for the Mario Party games.

Two bomberman games hit past VC and have normal saving features and if they ain’t here now, they probably aren’t coming later. Same with Ogre Battle, which I’m betting will skip NSO for similar reasons.

fun fact, NDcube's first game (I think, someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong)

This is neat, been curious to check this out. Glad they're not doing their usual "announce a GBA game a week ahead of time" thing and just putting it out this week. And hey, GBA roadmap's cleared, so now it's slightly more reasonable for me to expect Zero Mission could drop at any given time

e: gotta say though, between the shorter turn-around time making this less of an "event" and the trailer being nowhere near as impressive as what they've done for some other Expansion Pass games (for example, Golden Sun or Excitebike 64), definitely doesn't feel like there's a lot of excitement towards this game coming from Nintendo themselves. Almost feels like they wish they had something a bit more interesting to pair it with

The behind-the-scene of the game is interesting and it is detailed here; it looks like NDCube experimented with an F-Zero-like game, and Isshin Shimizu decided to turn it into a full-fledged new F-Zero. It must have been a passionate project for him, because he wasn't only the sole director, but the chief designer and course designer, and he is even credited for the designs of Environment, UI, and Machine. In his vision, F-Zero X wasn't a "true" sequel and they had to return back to the SNES roots.
When F-ZERO X came out there was a lot of talk about "This isn't really F-ZERO". So this time we wanted players of the original to be interested in buying the game. We aimed to send people the message that "This is F-ZERO". For example I saw on a TV show there was a best-of CD for Shogo Hamada advertised to young people. The reason is because they may have heard their senior classmates sing his songs at karaoke and thought "That's a good song". In the same way for F-ZERO I think it'd be great if company workers decided to buy it and try it out, and spread gossip about it.
He wasn't involved in the other 2 GBA games, and another company altogether made them, hence the different feel.

Back
Top Bottom